Metal Storm logo
Primus

04.08.2006 - 02:50
Endoftherainbow
I was suprised this band didn't have a thread already sincePrimus is one of the best most influential altmetal bands of the 90's with they're crazy brand of metal. My favorite Primus album is Sailing the Seas of Cheese because of songs like Jerry Was A Race Car Driver, Tommy the Cat, and Sgt. Baker. Les Claypool is also an amazingly talented bass player and songwriter and has a pretty crazy vocal styling. So what does everyone else think of this band?
04.08.2006 - 18:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I have every Primus album and have seen them live seven times...they're amazing live...Primus is certainly a unique band and Les Claypool is a monster on the bass! It took me ages to play shit like Tommy the Cat and Jerry Was A Race Car Driver on bass...very fast hands...my fav album is Sailing The Seas Of Cheese...every time I've seen them live they've played an album the entire way through....great band!
01.09.2006 - 10:04
SkinChamber
Account deleted
Amazing band, what a fucking musician! Everything they have done is worth listening too! Although listening to "Fizzle Fry" on acid was very strange!
12.09.2006 - 04:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Does anyone have any information on any new Primus album?
12.09.2006 - 05:47
Endoftherainbow
Well I know they are releasing another dvd and a greatest hits album in October but as for making a brand new studio album I haven't heard any updates.

I also know that they are going on a North American Tour and so far these dates have been announced:
11/01 - Austin, TX - Music Hall
11/03 - Houston, TX - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
11/04 - Dallas, TX - Will Rogers Auditorium
11/06 - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
11/08 - Washington, DC - DAR Constitution Hall
11/09 - New York, NY - Roseland
11/10 - Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
11/12 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
11/14 - Detroit, MI - State Theatre
11/15 - Toronto, ON - Kool Haus
11/17 - Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom
11/18 - Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom
11/19 - Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre
11/21 - Denver, CO - Fillmore
11/28 - Eugene, OR - Hult Center
11/29 - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum Theatre
11/30 - Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
12/02 - Berkeley, CA - Berkeley Community Theatre
12/03 - Sacramento, CA - Memorial Auditorium
12/05 - San Jose, CA - San Jose Civic Center
12/06 - Los Angeles, CA - Palladium
12/08 - San Diego, CA - Rimac
12/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Mesa Amphitheatre
12.09.2006 - 12:37
DyNo!!
Account deleted
I know that Les Claypool is going to release the first album of his solo project (LES CLAYPOOL-OF WHALES AND WOE) and he's going to release his book also in europe... and he's also finished to film his own film...
12.09.2006 - 17:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Thanks for the info Endoftherainbow! I guess 11/15 means November 15th?
22.11.2006 - 22:38
Robstar
Primus is a really good band ... I started listening at these dudes, they we the shit man ...
The vocalist /bassist is awesome, One of my favorite bass players ... This motherfucker can really slap a string ...
Anyway , indeed Primus rocks
----
Nothing is unreacheable
24.11.2006 - 15:08
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I love how LaLande used to be part of Possessed, the godfathers of Death Metal, and is now in Primus. I don't know why.
26.11.2006 - 07:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Claypool's evolving creative outlet allowed him to move on from his thrash metal days in the 80s...
26.11.2006 - 20:21
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Claypool was never in Possessed.
27.11.2006 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know only one song of this band, IMO it was ''My Name Is Mud''
I like that song it was somethiung from crosover/metal elements mix whit some other style music, but still its great remaind me lil H-Blockx
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2006 - 04:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.11.2006 at 20:21

You're right...he was in Blind Illusion...
27.11.2006 - 05:25
MigraineBoy
I just bought Hallucino-genetics a few days ago, because Fizzle Fry is my favorite Primus record.
Claypool is a juggernaut in the bass, not because he's technical, is because he plays and make music like nobody else dares.
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
29.11.2006 - 12:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 27.11.2006 at 04:37

Written by Guest on 26.11.2006 at 20:21

You're right...he was in Blind Illusion...

True, and Blind Illusion's album is quite fun with a couple of standout tracks and a couple of crappy tracks.
Les was almost considered for the bass spot in Metallica when Cliff died but Metallica decided not to use him because Claypool was TOO good for that spot and his bassplaying wouldn't really fit in Metallica
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.12.2006 - 20:50
Schlackass
Account deleted
Primus is a cool band. Claypool is a bass-master. Got Buzzards of Green Hill and My Name is Mud on my mind right now..
01.01.2007 - 06:38
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I think Claypool would've made a great addition to Metallica...would've cleaned up their rhythm section a bit...
01.01.2007 - 13:31
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.01.2007 at 06:38

I think Claypool would've made a great addition to Metallica...would've cleaned up their rhythm section a bit...

Agree, maybe they would have developed a more technical side and we would never have to endurance an album such as St. Anger
02.01.2007 - 07:40
X-LethalDosage-X
Account deleted
Shit, but if he joined Metallica. Primus probaly wouldn't even excist. And I just bought Hallucino-genetics and it fucking kicks shit!
03.01.2007 - 10:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 07:40

Shit, but if he joined Metallica. Primus probaly wouldn't even excist. And I just bought Hallucino-genetics and it fucking kicks shit!

I got Hallucino-genetics about three months ago, and man, is that an awesome live dvd. three hours of pure musical bliss, and thank god NO extras to spoil it, just pure music with Frizzle Fyr beiing played entirely (which is btw my fav Primus album by far)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2007 - 23:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That tour was amazing. I went and saw it in Montreal and they did Frizzle Fry the whole way through which was kick ass. The first time I saw them, they did Sailing The Seas Of Cheese the whole way through. I can't wait to hear what album they'll do the whole way through the next time I see them...
05.01.2007 - 09:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 04.01.2007 at 23:43

That tour was amazing. I went and saw it in Montreal and they did Frizzle Fry the whole way through which was kick ass. The first time I saw them, they did Sailing The Seas Of Cheese the whole way through. I can't wait to hear what album they'll do the whole way through the next time I see them...

Lat time I saw them live was way way way back on their Sailing The Seas of Cheese tour. So, naturally, at the time they didn't play an enitre album. But they did play quite a few covers in the unmistakeable Primus style. And every single concert was different. Saw them three nights running and three nights you got entirely different livesets. What a breath of fresh air that was when 99.9% of the bands play the same setlist every single fucking night.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2007 - 04:00
APOHAKC
The Bard
Today I heard some Primus songs after very long time.. And I almost forget how good band they are.. Really like their weird style of playing their instruments, but I am just one in a line I suppose lol
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.05.2007 - 18:51
Sailing the Seas of Cheese is a solid album. But Suck on This is probably my favorite. Although most of the songs are on Frizzle Fry, there is one song (I think it is Tommy the Cat, although it might be Jellikit) that is not on Frizzle Fry that contains the best bass solo I've heard from Claypool. Frizzle Fry is also a pretty good song.
05.06.2007 - 06:31
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with Primus these days? I think we're all dying for a new album...
19.06.2007 - 08:00
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Guest on 05.06.2007 at 06:31

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with Primus these days? I think we're all dying for a new album...

They're planning on going into the studio and getting the album out by late this year or early 2008. Either way, I just hope they come close enough to my home town instead of Claypool's solo outfit.

I have to agree with Marcel, Fizzle Fry is their best album by far. To Defy the Laws of Tradition is probably their best song, I've never heard anything like it and it still blows me away. A perfect example of a song that breathes. I find myself skipping songs on Sailing the Sea of Cheese, but it's still a classic in it's own sense, just not the monster Fizzle Fry is.

Primus should consider releasing another cover album soon, they seem to be faultless in that department where most bands fall flat on their face or just waste our time.

EDIT: @Xenaoth: Yes, Claypool has stopped using the "Primus Sucks" slogan. Maybe he's sensitive or just taking his music more seriously than before.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
19.06.2007 - 16:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Good thing that they're finally in the studio again because I was wondering if these guys were ever going to return to the fold...I'm sure that the new album when it comes out is gonna be fantastic!
28.06.2007 - 04:32
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
Tim Alexander is an amazing drummer fuck you cant say enough great things about primus whos with me in saying PRIMUS SUCKS!!!!
02.07.2007 - 07:32
Primus is just amazing. Les has written some of the greatest songs of all time
----
oderint dum metuant
02.11.2007 - 10:37
Fuath
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! primus are absolutely amazing, very different, but my favourite band by far
----
FRACTALS!!!!!