04. Nobody's Fault But Mine
05. Candy Store Rock
06. Hots On For Nowhere
07. Tea For One

Top 20 albums of 1976: 14

Guest review by
Syk
Rating:
"Hots On for Nowhere" indeed. It seems the legendary Zeppelin burnt out the better part of their creative fuel for the successful double-album Physical Graffiti, and took quite a fall with 1976's Presence.

The band's seventh album kicks off with a dark ten-minute stomper that doesn't develop a whole lot but is still pretty good. It could very nearly be called heavy metal - something here instantly reminds me of the galloping style of Steve Harris but I'm not quite sure if it's JPJ's bass or something else. Robert Plant does a fine job similar to the previous few albums, while Jimmy Page delivers some truly great guitaring and Bonham gives a blistering performance on the drums. After this opener though, most of the songs could be considered filler. Tracks 2-6 are laidback rockers around the style of earlier hits "The Ocean" and "Custard Pie" but here are overlong and less successful. The riffs just don't stick like they used to, the structures are poor with un-rhythmic pauses and loads of unnecessary repetition, there's no lyrical spark like what appears in "No Quarter" and "Stairway", and - perhaps most disappointing of all - there are no shattering solos to be found. Closing track "Tea for One" sounds like a watered-down "Since I've Been Loving You" mixed with a hint of "No Quarter", inexplicably leaving out the explosions of brilliance from these earlier masterpieces. Its darkness and heaviness would normally have placed it among my favourite tracks but ultimately it's just too boring.

Read more ››
published 05.09.2007 | Comments (5)

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 469 users
12.02.2010 - 17:42
Rating: 10
elekctric

I think i may be the only Zeppelin Fan around who loves this album ... another album that flows for me ... never a skip
17.10.2010 - 02:11
Rating: 8
Aetherius

'Achilles Last Stand' is certainly a great piece of music!
17.06.2011 - 00:26
Klauwier

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" is one of my favorites
23.01.2012 - 22:49
musicalkaratekid

A slightly underrated album, but it must have been mind-numbingly difficult to try and do an album one year after the magnum opus that was 'physical graffitti'. This album has one amazing song-'Achilles' last stand', and the others just seem to plod on endlessly, but the awe-inspiring songwriting isn't absent, thankfully.
29.03.2012 - 01:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by elekctric on 12.02.2010 at 17:42

I think i may be the only Zeppelin Fan around who loves this album ... another album that flows for me ... never a skip

no, you are not, i love this album as well.
29.03.2012 - 19:25
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Sure, it's their second weakest album but it has 3 amazing classics (Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine and Tea For One).
30.03.2012 - 08:08
Rating: 10
elekctric

All i know is it is seriously underrated ....
13.04.2014 - 20:15
Mountain King
K i K o
Tea for one is a good piece. Listen to it and have a Jack Daniels or something...
08.12.2014 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What I learned don't judge album from 1th song (same as candlemass ''death magic doom'' opening songs sucked) here it was opposite it was damn good super promising, but rest was boring, sorry lads Led Zep died after IV
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.12.2014 - 18:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 08.12.2014 at 18:46

... (same as candlemass ''death magic doom'' opening songs sucked) ...

If I Ever Die, Hammer Of Doom, and The Bleeding Baroness are by far the best songs on that album. And that by a huge margin. The rest are mediocre to sucky at best.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2014 - 18:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2014 at 18:49

Written by Bad English on 08.12.2014 at 18:46

... (same as candlemass ''death magic doom'' opening songs sucked) ...

If I Ever Die, Hammer Of Doom, and The Bleeding Baroness are by far the best songs on that album. And that by a huge margin. The rest are mediocre to sucky at best.

as far as I remember one Candlemass album opening song was week , IMO we had discussion here In MS about it , but it was a while ago,
----

apos;'
[image]
08.12.2014 - 18:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by Bad English on 08.12.2014 at 18:52

as far as I remember one Candlemass album opening song was week , IMO we had discussion here In MS about it , but it was a while ago,

this is what you said on the opening songs:

Quote:

Well I forgot sad maybe As I Die oisnt best song and is not doom, but its damn good us power metal song seems band mistace was put in like first , my vaf is The Bleeding Baroness and My Funeral Dreams, Hammer Of Doom is good to

I hope they will realise same next one whit this vocalist hope it wont be one album magic
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2014 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2014 at 18:57

Written by Bad English on 08.12.2014 at 18:52

this is what you said on the opening songs:

Quote:

Well I forgot sad maybe As I Die oisnt best song and is not doom, but its damn good us power metal song seems band mistace was put in like first , my vaf is The Bleeding Baroness and My Funeral Dreams, Hammer Of Doom is good to

I hope they will realise same next one whit this vocalist hope it wont be one album magic

well yes now I remember, I have not listen that album long and now I remember, same time , it don't change a fact don't album from opening song or some radio song
So my mistake sorry

PS in old post there was spelling mistakes OMG lol
----

apos;'
[image]
27.11.2021 - 17:00
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I really like "Achillies Last Stand", and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is a good song too, but same problem as In Through The Out Door, two good song's, and the rest us rubbish.
27.11.2021 - 17:08
JoHn Doe

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.11.2021 at 17:00

I really like "Achillies Last Stand", and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is a good song too, but same problem as In Through The Out Door, two good song's, and the rest us rubbish.

I think Tea for One and For Your Life are both excellent songs.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 10512 | This month: 52