The best Stoner / Sludge Metal album of 2010

Additional info
Release dates:

February 23: US
March 8: Europe

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
Opening with a particularly urgent guitar line before all hell breaks loose, Snakes For the Divine announces the return of High On Fire? a power trio that have drawn comparisons to the legendary Motorhead. It's fitting. It is three guys playing fast, furious and dirty metal.

The first thing longtime High On Fire fans will likely take note of is the production on this release. The production values for the band have morphed from the garage-like sound of Blessed Black Wings to a much cleaner result in Death Is This Communion, which struck a great balance between clear-sounding instruments while still retaining the raw, visceral nature of their music.

Read more ››
published 05.03.2010 | Comments (4)

Came out on Tuesday and has dominated my cd tray since. The production allows the bass and drum support, usually overshadowed by Pike's mighty axe, to shine through as well. This power trio is ugly, dirty, loud, barbaric, and tight. \m/

FROST HAMMERRRRRRRR!

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 538 users
13.02.2010 - 11:24
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Just checked out the preview tracks. I was a bit indifferent toward the title track until the final 14 seconds, that was just incredible. It seems like this one is the biggest departure from their regular sound they've ever made, it's going to be a hard adjustment but after a few listens it seems it should pay off.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2010 - 07:51
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
After 1.5 listens, i like the album all in all. the weird thing is the production is not particularly fitting. it's like whomever mixed it accidentally switched the values for the vocals and guitars.

Pike's singing is mediocre. at best.

Pike's guitar playing is fucking awesome.

the drums and bass do shine through... shame the guitar isn't a bit more upfront.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.02.2010 - 08:04
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 24.02.2010 at 07:51

After 1.5 listens, i like the album all in all. the weird thing is the production is not particularly fitting. it's like whomever mixed it accidentally switched the values for the vocals and guitars.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard somewhere that the same guy responsible for the shitty sound on the new Metallica and Slayer albums produced, mixed, or mastered it, but I've only heard good things about the music so far.
24.02.2010 - 08:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 24.02.2010 at 08:04

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard somewhere that the same guy responsible for the shitty sound on the new Metallica and Slayer albums produced, mixed, or mastered it, but I've only heard good things about the music so far.

music is great. production is not nearly as bad as Slayer or as unbelievably bad as Death Magnetic. it's just kind of an odd choice for this particular band.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.02.2010 - 14:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Pike's guitar playing is fucking awesome.

the drums and bass do shine through... shame the guitar isn't a bit more upfront.

I just listened their myspace and I disagree about the vocals, I found them perfect....
FROST HAMMER!!!!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2010 - 15:53
Rating: 9
Mansdone

I love this album, I think its their best work since Blessed Black Wings. I like where they are going with their music. It sounds like a faster and more agressive album, and those are the things I like most in my music. This album is a real step forward for them.

Favorite Songs-
Sanakes for the divine
Bastard Samurai
Fire, Flood, and plauge
----
As the thrash pounds through your head
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
01.03.2010 - 12:11
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ehhh I'm not really liking this... it just sounds far too restrained and emotionless for sludgecore

I'm giving it a 7 for now, but I doubt it'll stay that high, assuming that I feel like listening to it again later
10.02.2011 - 08:52
eveerett henry

2 guitars and one drum set make for a balance that a professional mixer likes to hear. The unique drum pattern (Desi) allowss Matt and Jeff pluck their strings on thier guitars creating that nasty sound we all got to know and hear. Matt guitar hanging low or close to the chest creats thosee screams we sometimes hear from a superior player. Jeff echoes the sound from Matts playing creating the major and minor sound to our ears. The drums smooth the guitar soounds. Like lightening and thunder or fire and heat their balance is easily recognized by teens, young mature people or even mature people. No other band can copy their sound.:););D:D
12.02.2011 - 05:29
Vikcen
Metálico
Awesome, in my opinion this album is better than "Death Is This Communion".
22.04.2011 - 04:51
Vikcen
Metálico
Well, finally i got the album and what i dislike is the sound of the guitar so low in the production, for my taste i would have liked more presence in this sense...
25.05.2021 - 16:47
Mehrad

The first 3 songs are incredible , but it drops after that. in the middle it's average but the last song is pretty good too
and Matt Pike's vocals are just crushing in the first song
still doesn't match DITC for me
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
26.05.2021 - 00:11
musclassia

Written by Mehrad on 25.05.2021 at 16:47

The first 3 songs are incredible , but it drops after that. in the middle it's average but the last song is pretty good too
and Matt Pike's vocals are just crushing in the first song
still doesn't match DITC for me

I've definitely listened to the title track more than the rest of the album combined, but Bastard Samurai is great fun too
26.05.2021 - 08:52
Mehrad

Written by musclassia on 26.05.2021 at 00:11

I've definitely listened to the title track more than the rest of the album combined, but Bastard Samurai is great fun too

the title track crushes . catchy and heavy af
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
12.01.2022 - 12:48
Vikcen
Metálico
Snakes For The Divine is one of my all-time favorite songs in metal, masterpiece.

Hits total: 13072 | This month: 22