07. Obsolete [feat. Tijs Vanneste]
08. Her Scent In The Spiral
09. Take My Hand
10. Slumber

Gothic metal
Recorded: UltraSound Studios, Portugal 2008
Label: Recital Records
Total Running Time: 54:21

Granted, my very first reaction might have been something in the lines of "Heavenwho?"... but seriously, where has this band been all the time? Clearly it has taken me way too long to discover this small sparkling diamond - and with me, most of you readers probably too. But no more; the undeserved obscurity stops here.

Heavenwood are the real deal when it comes to dark gothic metal. The band is also pleasantly diverse, mature and above all compelling in what they do. Their heavy yet dynamic sound is not soaked in sugary keyboard arrangements and the female vocals and male growls are entirely appropriate. These are the kind of melancholy driven tunes that crawl under your skin from the start. With a few hints to Flowing Tears, Paradise Lost and even super old Lacuna Coil - you know, before they went all pop metal and all - the band is all about moving the listener to a darker mood.

Redemption is touching, Redemption is gloomy, Redemption is aggressive, Redemption is soothing, Redemption features some very nice guest appearances - Redemption is top shelf material really.

All the bands playing anything remotely gothic metal that Portugal sprouts will most likely find themselves in the shadow of you-know-who (*) - which might be one of the reasons why this particular Portuguese gothic outfit is criminally overlooked and underappreciated. But let me tell you, Heavenwood's third opus Redemption is an album to be totally thrilled about.

Talking about thrills, 2010 will see Heavenwood release a new album. Guess who's stoked...

(*) Funny fact: Heavenwood were the first Portuguese band ever to play Wacken Open Air - many years before you-know-who.

Written by Thryce | 13.02.2010

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 251 users
13.02.2010 - 15:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Great see this up, they are on to something with this disc and I'm really looking forward to their next one.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.02.2010 - 19:10
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Yeah, it nice to see another portuguese band in MS and getting known worldwide. They're very talented and deserve it.. same goes for Process Of Guilt.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
13.02.2010 - 23:14
Rating: 9
Morphis

Very nice review!

I don't know where to start, it was I the one that sugested Heavenwood on MS and add the info about the band and their albuns.

Its one of my favourite bands and i know the members from some time now.

I don't wanna sound lame, is just that im really glad about your review and the comments.
Heavenwood is a great band, very humble fellows, they sure deserve some recognition.

Because of professional problems with Massacre Records and personal issues, they unfortunatly disband in 1999 and had to wait 8 years for their contract to expire before reassign again with other editor.
During that time the 3 core members didn't stop making music and never really disconnected from the metal scene.

If that weren't to happen, believe me, by now they would be bigger than Moonspell.

PS: I don't know if u had the chance to listen to the 1st albun of Heavenwood, Diva.
If u haven't u must do it as fast as u can lol cause Diva is timeless perfect music, the precious gem of my collection.
14.02.2010 - 00:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Great review. I myself only discovered it in mid 2009 and it's still my favourite Gothic album from 2008. Defo looking forward to the new release
----
loves 小巫
14.02.2010 - 15:02
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
I know them since 2000 and they're always one of my home country favourite bands. Diva, Swallow and Redemption are all unique and I'm eagerly waiting for their next release. Judging by the songs they've already uploaded on their myspace, it'll be their best effort ever!
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
14.02.2010 - 18:42
Rating: 8
demonseed

Long live Heavenwood. Its a pleasure to see them back in such a good shape. This guys come from my hometown and I wish them all the best.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
14.02.2010 - 18:45
demonseed

Written by Morphis on 13.02.2010 at 23:14

Very nice review!

I don't know where to start, it was I the one that sugested Heavenwood on MS and add the info about the band and their albuns.

Its one of my favourite bands and i know the members from a long time ago. I saw them live in 1996 with In Flames and in 1998 with Theatre Of Tragedy and many other times now that they have come back.

I don't wanna sound lame, is just that im really glad about your review and the comments, Heavenwood is a great band, very humble fellows, they sure deserve some recognition about their work.

Because of professional problems with Massacre Records and personal issues they unfortunatly disband in 1999 and had to wait 8 years for their contract with Massacre expire and reassign again with other company.
During that time the 3 core members didn't stop making music and never really disconnected from the metal scene.

If that weren't to happen, believe me, by now they would be bigger than Moonspell.

PS: I don't know if u had the chance to listen to the 1st albun of Heavenwood, Diva.
If u haven't u must do it as fast as u can lol cause Diva is timeless perfect music, the precious gem of my collection.

Diva is a masterpiece.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
15.02.2010 - 03:47
kurotenshi

Well the name wasn't completely strange to me but I really did not know they were from this corner of the world lol.
To tell the truth I really don't see the resemblance to we-know-who, I kind of get more of an Entwine/Beseech felling, lot more heavy of course.
Let me just say thanks to MS and the user(s) that brought this band to MS's attention, I'll be at their gig at the first opportunity for sure.
16.02.2010 - 05:50
talmas

Great to see Heavenwood back in business. I listened to Diva religiously when it first came out. It was one of the very few CDs purchased without any knowledge of the band that turned out to be worth the risk. I'll definitely be looking for this new one. Thanks for the review.
22.03.2010 - 04:06
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Amazing album from an amazing band from my home land
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
19.09.2010 - 04:23
Lovecraft
Account deleted
This is an amazing album from an amazing band.
16.06.2011 - 23:52
Milena
gloom cookie
Just listened to it and it pretty much rules.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.12.2011 - 04:23
paulo_magas

Please don't foget "Swallow"....it's also a kind of masterpiece...:)
28.01.2016 - 23:11
Rating: 10
RPG

I think this album is brilliant and is underrated.

Hits total: 7049 | This month: 6