10. Future Tense [30th anniversary edition bonus]
11. I Am Insane [30th anniversary edition bonus]
12. Mirror Black [30th anniversary edition bonus]

Disc II [Black Reflections Revisited] [30th anniversary edition bonus]
01. Eden Lies Obscured [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
02. Seasons Of Destruction [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
03. Die For My Sins [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
04. Future Tense [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
05. White Rabbit [Jefferson Airplane cover] [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
06. Taste Revenge [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
07. Long Since Dark [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
08. Sanctuary [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
09. One More Murder [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]
10. Battle Angels [Live at The Country Club, Reseda, CA 12.05.1990]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 12

Guest review by
AndyMetalFreak
Rating:
During the late 80s, many great bands emerged from Seattle; Sanctuary were certainly amongst them, and their debut album, Refuge Denied, was a very good beginning point for them. However, it was the second album, Into The Mirror Black, that I believe showed Sanctuary's true capabilities. This album was released just a few years before the outrageously popular grunge scene emerged, taking Seattle by storm. Sanctuary, however, had a short-lived career; it would be a whopping 18 years before the band would release another album after this, with members of the band in the meantime forming the mighty Nevermore.

Read more ››
published 23.10.2021 | Comments (11)

Found in 24 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 945 users
13.02.2010 - 17:04
Rating: 10
mr.archness

This was such a refreshing album, so much more melodic then the rest of the thrash band at the time, maybe moving towards progressive, and opening that scene a bit more, for bands to come. producing from Dave Mustain, vocals from Dane, guitar playing from Jeff...and the rest of the band, is exquisite. The album has such power, depth from the lyrics, arrangement, composing to all the songs on it, there is not a single song on this album that let's you down and it's not in the same quality way as the rest of them. This is must have album for every metal-head. They didn't last long which is such a shame, I was expecting a lot more of them....and Nevermore today is just a pale image of Sanctuary.
22.02.2010 - 18:14
MeTalRea|istiK

Argh!!i want this album so bad..mine hv lost!!warel dane u the best man i luv u..nevermore suck!!
02.12.2012 - 09:52
bblitz

Amazing amazing album,I like it so much one of the best metal albums of all time,
can't wait the new one,this album is a dream come true my friends.
19.06.2013 - 20:04
Night Sight

That's awesome . i would rate it 10
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
24.08.2015 - 02:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
What a great album. Good thing Warrel Dane stopped trying to sound like Rob Halford because it's the main reason I didn't enjoy Refuge Denied as much as this one.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.12.2015 - 06:12
Rating: 9
Erudon

11 votes to be in top 200!
21.06.2016 - 19:05
Overrwatcher

As of today, the album now has enough votes to be in the top 200!

Good shit. Extremely innovative for its time. I want to say it's like Nevermore fused with power metal but that feels so wrong considering that Sanctuary came first. Rather, Nevermore is Sanctuary without the power metal influences.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
13.07.2016 - 09:37
Maco
Pvt Funderground
What will happen if I remove my vote? :p

Edit: Uhmm nothing it seems.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.02.2017 - 18:05
JayMo4

I heard Nevermore long before Sanctuary and expected something sounding like Nevermore before they had found their sound.... On the contrary, this album stands with the best Nevermore ever did, if not better than anything they've done.

The one minor complaint is the mix is kind of meh, not a lot of oomph to it - which isn't all that uncommon for 80's/early 90's stuff. It's not a bad mix, just not one that has the kind of force behind it that has come with a lot of releases since. But hey, on the other hand it isn't one of the newer releases that is way too loud, so.... could be worse. Still, I wouldn't mind a remix if we're ever so lucky.

That said, if you even like Nevermore a little bit, or if you want to hear what power metal actually can be when it's done right, you need to hear this album. It's really, really good.
18.11.2018 - 12:56
The Galactician

Simply one of the finest metal records ever created. It was important to me when it was released, and all this time later I still dust it off for 3 or 4 listens a year.
14.05.2019 - 19:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of greatest bands ever in a genre and in all metal, this is school album to tecah other bands how compose metal music. New bands comes, but we cant have so heavy albums nowadays, quastions is why?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.11.2020 - 23:57
JoHn Doe

Re-listening after quite a long time. Timeless piece of work, never gets old.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
11.11.2020 - 00:13
Redel

Written by JoHn Doe on 10.11.2020 at 23:57

Re-listening after quite a long time. Timeless piece of work, never gets old.

Re-listening (yesterday) after not so long time. Timeless piece of work, never gets old.
16.08.2021 - 21:18
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Such a brilliant album! A perfect blend of old school thrash, mixed with US Power Metal, with some of the most incredible and headbangable riffs in metal, with lyrics that are meaningful, and the vocals are on top form, sounding very similar to Rob Halford in parts, more importantly it's very consistent, with no skippable tracks, and right from the start Future Tense, which is one hell of a good song! And it doesn't stop there, the quality never shy's away, it's definitely up there with one of the most enjoyable slums I've ever listened to. 🤘🤘

Although I am struggling to decide whether this album should belong in my Power Metal list or Thrash Metal list 😞
16.08.2021 - 21:22
JoHn Doe

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 16.08.2021 at 21:18

Although I am struggling to decide whether this album should belong in my Power Metal list or Thrash Metal list 😞

could be in a thrash list, but it belongs best on a US Power list.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
16.08.2021 - 23:49
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.08.2021 at 21:22

could be in a thrash list, but it belongs best on a US Power list.

Iced Earth are on my Power Metal list, and they are US Power, so I've added this album to the list also, it's just US Power Metal differs quite alot from European.
29.07.2022 - 15:26
Metal Rasputin

It must have been 20 years since I first listened to this album and I feel it's only gotten better with time. I remember reading that Warrel Dane's previous high pitched screams went little too extreme and caused him to tone them down here, which actually sounds way better in my ears. Add in improved musicianship, songwriting and production and you've got a great progressive US power metal album.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
29.07.2022 - 16:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Not a genre I visit often, but seeing all of the positive comments and ratings made me dive in. Great release. Very well mixed and mastered for the time, and of course great vocal work. Nice album for sure.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 18764 | This month: 28