Metal Storm logo
Favourite mode for compositions

Poll

What is your favourite mode for compositions/solos and why?

Phrygian
Other
Lydian
Mixolydian
Dorian

Total votes: 11
18.02.2010 - 00:20
whatsacow

Modes to me are the most iimportant thing you can learn as a musician. What mode has helped you the most?
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.02.2010 - 00:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lol...i am missing "what the hell are modes?" poll option
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.05.2011 - 08:53
Sombre

And what note, what scale, what chord, what rhyhtmic formula helped you the most? hahaha
15.05.2011 - 16:09
ANGEL REAPER

What the fuck is modes? i play keyboards,guitars ,drums,vocals and writing music but i never heard of that ever....
please enlighten me....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.05.2011 - 18:55
Yasmine

Wow we need a mode lesson, key etc really doesnt matter at this point! Lydian for me.

Modes allow for stuff like.......

http://youtu.be/3vmU3XqrS-E
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
17.05.2011 - 16:12
ANGEL REAPER

Ah you mean that stuff......
well i hate that shit anyway....for me rhythm is the key for song...never played solos and never will so i'll pass this one....
anyway thanks for explanation
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.05.2011 - 19:11
Yasmine

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.05.2011 at 16:12

well i hate that shit anyway....for me rhythm is the key for song...never played solos and never will so i'll pass this one....

Thats just one example, and too me stuff like that is great.

Also this was written with modes in mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvU-iuN9OOQ
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
17.05.2011 - 22:53
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Yasmine on 17.05.2011 at 19:11

no dont get me wrong i am amazed by the skill of the guitarists that use such stuff but after 2 mins i just get bored by all that....I mean good songs dont have to be made just of solos....btw i was just hitting random notes ...worked so far fine....
----
18.05.2011 - 02:28
Yasmine

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.05.2011 at 22:53

no dont get me wrong i am amazed by the skill of the guitarists that use such stuff but after 2 mins i just get bored by all that....I mean good songs dont have to be made just of solos....btw i was just hitting random notes ...worked so far fine....

Well here's the thing When you hear metal songs with themes, Vital Remains - DeChristianize, Malmsteen's Blackstar, Wolfchant's A Pagan Storm, etc these are written with modes in mind and that's what creates those guitar themes within the songs. I could make a list of others so you can hear the sound.
----
18.05.2011 - 03:24
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Yasmine on 18.05.2011 at 02:28

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.05.2011 at 22:53

Well here's the thing When you hear metal songs with themes, Vital Remains - DeChristianize, Malmsteen's Blackstar, Wolfchant's A Pagan Storm, etc these are written with modes in mind and that's what creates those guitar themes within the songs. I could make a list of others so you can hear the sound.

no i have understood what are the modes...i have knew them under some other name.... and yes i suck at soloing so i just play rhythm and lead guitars...never do any solos...
----
18.05.2011 - 06:13
Yasmine

Ah, I do pretty well, I'm comfy at 300bpm with sweeps in 16ths, etc. Modes are very easy way to create great sounding flowing solos.
----
20.06.2011 - 03:55
Vlazreus

I used phrygian quite frequently long before I even knew what it was. back when I was in middle school even. I only wrapped my head around the concept of modes fairly recently. Lately, I've been trying to use locrian a lot, just because it's unusual and seldom used. it has an interesting sound and its quite easy to switch between it and phrygian or a blues scale, or an arabic scale. you can also work tritones in quite easily. its surprisingly flexible and can be quite melodic or quite dissonant depending on how you use it.
08.07.2011 - 09:17
Grody2themax

The modes listed here are just "modes" of the major scale. For anyone who doesn't know, the minor scale is the sixth mode of the major scale because it starts on the sixth note of the major scale and ends on the octave of that sixth note. So, if you were to extend the E minor shape around the fretboard, you would also eventually get the G major scale shape.

I don't mean to say the modes aren't important, because they can be very useful in metal, but they can be pretty basic sounding if you're new to using them. Metal uses a lot of diminished and atonal scales as well and almost primarily used in a lot of death/death/black metal.

When I do use modes consciously though, I like Dorian, not really for metal exactly but for the "cool" sound of it. Phrygian as well. But when I consciously think of what scale I'm basing a riff or part of a song off of, i usually use the diminished scale or sometimes atonal. There have been cases though where I find something I like that sounds good that uses the modes in a very practical way. But, for the most part my fingers just kind of naturally move to certain places on the frets and play stuff I play often or. I also sometimes just search for the note that sounds the best without thinking about any sort of scale at all. I don't really think to hard if what I'm playing is harmonically correct or not.
13.07.2011 - 18:05
Sammol

I don't know actually what i'm using.
28.07.2011 - 01:24
ADIresiduos

I've been playing guitar for 20+ years now, have composed music and written song lyrics... always by ear; I know just about the basics on notes, scales, etc. I respect the people who really study music and know how to "read" it, but in my case I go with what I feel and with what touches a nerve on me... when you say: Hey!! this stuff sounds cool!!
P.S.: I play some solos, simple ones but solos after all
25.08.2011 - 20:14
Glaucus

Huh, I am kinda surprised that Aeolian isn't listed to be voted... Usually whenever I am writing music I 'accidentally' find myself writing primarily in that mode. If anything else, the second mode I use most often would be Dorian.

And, I just wanted to take a moment with this...

Written by Yasmine on 18.05.2011 at 06:13

Ah, I do pretty well, I'm comfy at 300bpm with sweeps in 16ths, etc. Modes are very easy way to create great sounding flowing solos.

That's badass. Shred well.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
22.05.2013 - 07:49
scrambles

Written by Glaucus on 25.08.2011 at 20:14

Huh, I am kinda surprised that Aeolian isn't listed to be voted...

me too. and i'm surprised that Locrian and Ionian modes aren't listed either. as for me, i use Phrygian a lot, because of that flatted 2nd scale degree.