Metal Storm logo
Apocalyptica

05.08.2006 - 03:31
Bitch Boy
I looked for a topic about this amazing band but didn't find, so here it is. Better known in their earlier works for covering such bands like Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer and obviously Metallica, they've now turned their sound into something more melodic, electric and adding drums (since Reflections) and guest vocals (since Cult).

So what do you think about Metallica's and other bands' covers? Do you like their progression or do you really miss "Inquisition Symphony" and "Plays Metallica"?
05.08.2006 - 06:43
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I like their progression, as long as they don't get a vocalist. I don't mind if theyhvae gest vocals in albums, it sounds fine, but obviously the cellos sound better alone.

I like all of their albums, The progression is great, they're more melodic now, and dave Lombardo does great drumming, adding even more energy to the band. I can't get tired of their music.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.08.2006 - 07:05
Alouqua
Account deleted
Oh... I love everything they have done! I have all their albums and well this guys are really good musicians.. The first time I hear one of their songs I couldn't believe it was just 4 Cellos... I mean, they play metal without a guitar!
About their albums I don't miss their "old" sound, I like the new stuffs too, the voices (well, not Nina, i hate her) and the drums... and yeah, they have a lot of energy... when I saw them in one concert I was so excited...
About the musicians I feel like Perttu Kivilaakso give something interesting to their sound and of course to their image, this is a really handsome guy... and one of the most talent cellists in Finland...
Eicca Toppinen I don't have words to express how much I admire this man. He is the mastermind behind Apocalyptica...
05.08.2006 - 13:14
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I like everything I've heard from these guys...so great. Amazing what they're able to do with those instruments. Saw them live once in 2001...wow. I was stunned. Headbanging while playing cello...sounds impossible but they did it.
Don't mind guest vocalist, but the Rammstein cover with Nina Hagen...saw the video...damn I got scared...that lady is evil looking and her voice...well I don't like it to say it nice
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.08.2006 - 15:59
Alouqua
Account deleted
GT oh, so you understand me! Everyone seems to love this woman but I hate her voice and her face...look, they invited very talent musicians but This woman and well may be is not the kind of voice that I like... is the same with Lauri Ylönen, I can't stand his voice even if I love Bittersweet...
And well the covers, I love the covers they do... Is not like they play the same song, they make one song unique.. There are cover songs made by them that I prefer over the original version
05.08.2006 - 16:33
wrathchild
Staff
I love the band, and was totally crushed when seeing them live. One of the best shows I've seen so far (I've just bought the DVD from that tour for a friend's birthday, I hope I will see it soon lol).

I like the addition of the drums but I'm not that keen on the guest singers too. I mean, the songs with vocals are musically less interesting than the others. Even though I admit I regularly headbang at "Life Burns"

I'm also a bit worried about their collaboration with some German bands, like Rammstein (which I don't like that much). But hey, if they still rock the hell out of me with their own stuff, they can do whatever they want outside!
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
05.08.2006 - 17:46
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ wrathchild - The tour dvd is good , although the editing could have been better.
Too much cutting from one player to another imo.

The music is good whatever they play.
I think that now they should concentrate more on their own compositions and leave the covers behind.
'Life Burns' is a top track - with singer or instrumental.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
05.08.2006 - 19:33
Bitch Boy
Well I also like their progression. There're some people that say that Apocalyptica turned into crap since Reflections, but I don't think so. My favorite album is Cult, and I also like the addition of vocals and drums. My favorite guests have been Sandra Nasic and Matthias Sayer. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that consider Nina Hagen's vocals very awful, but the music of Seemann cover is ok. Lauri Ylönen's vocals in Life Burns! aren't that bad, but I hate his voice in Bittersweet. My favorite Metallica covers are One, and Harvester of Sorrow.

I've seen Apocalyptica twice live, and they're amazing, actually one of the best live bands I've ever seen.
06.08.2006 - 09:37
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I really enjoy these guys,unfortunately I have very little other than the Metallica covers,and I am told to get into them. I felt they were very original,from at least what I heard (other than the fact they were doing covers). So I hope to hear more from them very soon.
06.08.2006 - 19:26
Alouqua
Account deleted
well My favourite album is Cult too! they have covers in that album but also their own songs... I love the song Hope, it almost make my cry...
My favourite cover is may be Nothing Else Matters ... But I also love, and I don't know why,Until it Sleeps ...
And well I don't like Lauri Ylönen, even in Live Burns! is not my style I guess... But I enjoy both songs, Bittersweet and Life Burns!
My favourite guest musician is Matthias Sayer (I really love Hope!) and also Marta Jandová who sing the song of my life: How Far...
06.08.2006 - 20:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
The only album I own is 'Plays Metallica by Four Cellos' but that is also a very good one. It's like they add another dimension to tracks...even my parents liked it when I played for them and they normally don't like Metallica
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.08.2006 - 19:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by GT on 06.08.2006 at 20:29

The only album I own is 'Plays Metallica by Four Cellos' but that is also a very good one. It's like they add another dimension to tracks...even my parents liked it when I played for them and they normally don't like Metallica

Actually is teh album I like the less. I prefer Reflections, the sound and production is much better. In PMBFC the sound is crappy, and I prefer the original stuff they have. I like Metallica alot, but I did not like the Apocalyptica album. I have because it's a must in a CD collection, but I don't listen to it, I've heard it like 5 times.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
14.08.2006 - 02:08
Alouqua
Account deleted
I don't like Metallica but I like Plays Metallica by Four Cellos... I know, I'm kind of crazy... what can I do? Like I said i love everything they have done and this album is not a exception. They made those songs sound in other different way... Yeah, i know they made covers but I think those are THEIR songs...
14.08.2006 - 13:57
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I love everything that Apocalyptica ever does. Covers, instrumentals and the songs with vocals. Great band! My favourites are "Nothing else matters", "Farewell" and "Faraway vol. 2". The instrumentals are great when I want to relax or when I do my homework. Also, when I´m sad and depressed. I don´t like "Bittersweet" or "Life Burns" so much anymore, as every radiostation has played them so many times that I´ve got a bit tired of them already.
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.08.2006 - 02:30
Bitch Boy
@ Ernotar: I also listen to Apocalyptica while studying quite relaxing.
15.08.2006 - 16:26
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Bitch Boy Great! I think Apocalyptica is best for studying, as I don´t get caught listening to the lyrics. I need to have some music when I study, so usually it´s either Apocalyptica or some classical.
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.08.2006 - 17:02
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Bitch Boy on 15.08.2006 at 02:30

@ Ernotar: I also listen to Apocalyptica while studying quite relaxing.

it is a must while studing
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
15.08.2006 - 17:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Apocalyptica is a really cool band, I love their covers but I also love their own songs. Harmageddon is a piece of art!
----
15.08.2006 - 21:40
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I made an oral report about this band in my History of Music class at my University. A friend gave me their "Plays Metallica By Four Cellos" and "Inquisition Symphony" albums, albums he bought after I introduced him to this band. I have also read other songs from them outside of the ones in these albums. It is very curious to hear how these Metal songs from the likes of Sepultura and Metallica sound in cellos. I read that Dave Lombardo plays or used to play with them; unfortunately I haven't heard any songs from them using drums. My final opinion about the band: they are nothing special and are more of the same. lol
----
Christless
16.08.2006 - 06:41
Bitch Boy
@ Darth Satanious: what do you mean by "more of the same"?? How many bands playing metal with cellos do you know??
16.08.2006 - 07:20
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Dude, that is what we call "sarcasm". That is why I was laughing at the end.
----
Christless
16.08.2006 - 12:56
The Mu-Mu Thing.
Account deleted
I like them very much, it's really interesting what they're doing. But I don't think the vocals and the drums are a good idea, cellos alone sound much better, as someone has already said.
18.08.2006 - 04:43
Alouqua
Account deleted
Darth Satanious Do you wanna know in which albums he play the drums?? Ok he, Dave Lombardo, participate in Reflections and Apocalyptica but then they change, the new drummer is Max Cavalera... so you should hear those albums
18.08.2006 - 08:33
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 04:43

Darth Satanious Do you wanna know in which albums he play the drums?? Ok he, Dave Lombardo, participate in Reflections and Apocalyptica but then they change, the new drummer is Max Cavalera... so you should hear those albums

Yeah, I didn't know in which albums he played, thanks. erm, Max played drums for them? Are you sure he actually played drums? I read that Cavalera did a collaboration with them but I didn't know he actually likes to play drums as to be part of a band behind the drum kit. Moreover, are you sure he is a full-time drummer for them?

P.S. Nice sig you have there.
----
Christless
18.08.2006 - 09:38
Nimlot
A. Reader
It's a great band, I really love it but the guest vocalists ruin it for me.

I was so happy when I was told that Apocalyptica is coming to Bulgaria, I was really excited but my parents didn't let me go to the concert Not fair
18.08.2006 - 12:51
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Darth Satanious on 18.08.2006 at 08:33

Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 04:43

Yeah, I didn't know in which albums he played, thanks. erm, Max played drums for them? Are you sure he actually played drums? I read that Cavalera did a collaboration with them but I didn't know he actually likes to play drums as to be part of a band behind the drum kit. Moreover, are you sure he is a full-time drummer for them?

P.S. Nice sig you have there.

Max Cavalera and Matt Tuck (Bullet for my Valentine) collaborated on the track 'Repressed' - as far as I know Max does not play drums.
Apocalyptica have their own drummer - Mikko Siren
----
18.08.2006 - 21:09
Alouqua
Account deleted
oh hell sorry!!!!! I was in other world when I wrote that! shame on me... I was thinking in Mikko... SORRY!!!!!
19.08.2006 - 07:31
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@hanna:

Yeah, that is what I thought.

@Alouqua:

No problem.
----
Christless
24.08.2006 - 10:53
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
If you like Apocalyptica you might like to visit this site www.kahila.net

It's more cellorock from Finland - not as heavy as Apocalyptica , but quite listenable if you like cellos.
----
24.08.2006 - 19:42
Vintervarg
Account deleted
'Plays Metallica by Four Cellos' and 'Cult' are awesome albums. I don't like the other very much.
I saw Apocalyptica live in my town, and they were great on stage.