Metal Storm logo
Apocalyptica

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 05.08.2006 - 03:31
I looked for a topic about this amazing band but didn't find, so here it is. Better known in their earlier works for covering such bands like Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer and obviously Metallica, they've now turned their sound into something more melodic, electric and adding drums (since Reflections) and guest vocals (since Cult).

So what do you think about Metallica's and other bands' covers? Do you like their progression or do you really miss "Inquisition Symphony" and "Plays Metallica"?
24.08.2006 - 19:44
Vintervarg
Account deleted
'Plays Metallica by Four Cellos' and 'Cult' are awesome albums. I don't like the other very much.
I saw Apocalyptica live in my town, and they were great on stage.
24.08.2006 - 21:17
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
The new album "Apocalyptica" is fuckin' great! On of the best (almost all) instrumental albuns i've ever heard :,) If you havent got it yet, I trully recomend it for all fans and those who just like to ear from them
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
24.08.2006 - 21:35
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Finland should send Apocalyptica to the european song contest next year they will kick some Europe ass
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
25.08.2006 - 02:20
Bitch Boy

I wrote a review for Cult:

http://metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3176

So, if you're bored, I will be very glad to receive comments
25.08.2006 - 12:50
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by heresiarch on 24.08.2006 at 21:35

Finland should send Apocalyptica to the european song contest next year they will kick some Europe ass

Wow, that's a very good idea . I think they'll win the contest if they join.
06.10.2006 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.08.2006 at 12:50

Written by heresiarch on 24.08.2006 at 21:35

Wow, that's a very good idea . I think they'll win the contest if they join.

Haha thay shood done it before Hellas win, and I doubt thay can do it

But I gree thay coud win, and i had seen them live and those feelings when thay play it was so great and amazing but I like only first 2 albums, other lil bit.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2006 - 01:57
1793 elegy

I suppose their latest material is fine but i really miss that raw sound they possesed in the first three albums.However, i like the new heaviness that's been added.
12.10.2006 - 02:03
Bitch Boy

@ 1793 elegy: maybe you miss the acoustic cellos. I do too, but I think that their better sound was during the Cult era, still strong, but more symphonic and electric.
13.10.2006 - 00:50
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Very interesting band, considering what they've done and how they've progressed it's almost commendable.
06.11.2006 - 00:54
nemo-nihil

I see many people here like Apocalyptica
I'm also one of their fans... And I'd love it if you joined my board, the link is in my sig
06.11.2006 - 15:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
I really like this band, but I get so tired of them fast. They work from time to time for me.
----
06.11.2006 - 17:51
Soliloquy

i got their compliation album the other day..i'm not really all that impressed. i find their stuff interesting becuase i mean an electric cello. who needs a bass when you can use a fucking cello? but in the end, i find it really boring.

maybe vocals would help chage things?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
07.11.2006 - 00:29
Bitch Boy

@ Soliloquy: there are some tracks with vocals, but I think that this concept without vocals (only some guests) is better.
07.11.2006 - 00:52
Soliloquy

Written by Bitch Boy on 07.11.2006 at 00:29

@ Soliloquy: there are some tracks with vocals, but I think that this concept without vocals (only some guests) is better.

i think that that is where the band is lacking. sure, they use a cello...and? what else do they use? making music entirly on a cello(3 cellos at that...i think) doesnt really give much to the ear, other than just monotone stuff. like i only heard the first maybe 8 tracks, and most of them didnt have any drums, guitars, or anything. sure, a cello defeats the purpose of having a bass. and for people who like tons of bass, the this is the band to go for. but other than that...i didnt really find much to be all 'wooed' away
----

-Zakk Wylde
07.11.2006 - 01:13
Bitch Boy

They use drums in the last 2 albums. And there's no need of guitars with the "cello riffs"

Try the "volumen 2" of Path or Hope, both feature vocals, maybe you would like them.
08.11.2006 - 17:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Drums and vocals in Apocalyptica songs? Is it better or worse?
----
10.11.2006 - 01:14
Lorien
Account deleted
They are ok
I like songs "Path" and "Somewhere beyond nothing" (I'm not sure that's its name)
But sometimes they are just too noisy
23.11.2006 - 06:08
Soliloquy

aright...now i'm begining to take back a few things what i said to em. i still say they are boring, how ever, their vocals music have some really cool songs. obviously i'm new to the band, so i only know a few songs with em. but what stood to me were 'bittersweet' 'hope vol. 2' 'path vol 2'...

and their metallica covers...i am a fan of violins/violas/chellos and stuff, and therefore this the music is decent...but if its just one instrument being used through out the whole song...yaeeeh....their metallica covers..i still rather listen to metallica's originals(not that i like nothing else matters, and enter sandman). but their covers provie an interesting new prespective to the metallica music...so yeah

and hahaha, i just realised that the band was called 'apocalyptICA'. i always thought the band was just called 'apocalypta'. apocalypitca sounds more letters shoved in your mouth...but meh, whats in a name?
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.11.2006 - 23:06
Bitch Boy

Written by Guest on 10.11.2006 at 01:14
..."Somewhere beyond nothing" (I'm not sure that's its name)

It's "Somewhere AROUND nothing", dude.

@ Soliloquy: it's great you liked those songs. I recommend you Seemann's cover which features Nina Hagen. Also try Life Burns!, despite having Lauri's vocals, it's an enjoyable song.
02.02.2007 - 03:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
@Soliloquy: You should also try the "new" song, Repressed, featuring Max Cavalera and Matt Tuck. Really cool stuff.

Also you should try the Reflections album, my personal favorite. Apocalyptica is great too.- The fact of adding the drums gives them a lot more strenght, and it can be heard in the songs that fature Dave Lombardo on the drums, like Somewhere Around Nothing.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.03.2007 - 01:52
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Very good band.
17.03.2007 - 14:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
i only have the "Plays Metallica By Four Cellos" album and that sounds pretty good. They do a great job there.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.03.2007 - 00:16
Kharn
Account deleted
Very talented musicians...didnt one of them play with the orchestra that backed metallica on the S&M album. Heard that somewhere.
Heard some stuff with vocals and didnt like it...but then i love classical music but hate operas and anything with warbling.
18.03.2007 - 03:41
Bitch Boy

Written by Guest on 18.03.2007 at 00:16

didnt one of them play with the orchestra that backed metallica on the S&M album. Heard that somewhere.

Where did you hear that?? I don't think that's possible as the orchestra is composed of members of the state or county, in this case it was formed by musicians from San Francisco.
21.03.2007 - 00:02
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 18.03.2007 at 03:41

didnt one of them play with the orchestra that backed metallica on the S&M album. Heard that somewhere.

Where did you hear that?? I don't think that's possible as the orchestra is composed of members of the state or county, in this case it was formed by musicians from San Francisco.

I Know its the san franscisco orchestra but i remember reading somewhere that he was part of the gig. possible...but probably not true, there would be some mention of him in the album credits.
21.03.2007 - 03:18
Bitch Boy

Written by Guest on 21.03.2007 at 00:02

Written by Bitch Boy on 18.03.2007 at 03:41

I Know its the san franscisco orchestra but i remember reading somewhere that he was part of the gig. possible...but probably not true, there would be some mention of him in the album credits.

I've checked the credits just now and there's no Apocalyptica member playing the cello in S&M It would have been great, though...
14.04.2007 - 23:23
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Apocalyptica will be performing in the Eurovision Song Contest final. That's one good reason to watch the ESC this year. I suppose Lordi will be there too..
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.04.2007 - 03:51
WindMyth
Account deleted
Cello Metal? Wtf...
They are Symphonic Metal, you can not create a genre by the instrument it uses...

Yeah, they are great, I love the Cd Reflections, I always listen to it.
15.04.2007 - 04:06
baldur

Written by Ernotar on 14.04.2007 at 23:23

Apocalyptica will be performing in the Eurovision Song Contest final. That's one good reason to watch the ESC this year. I suppose Lordi will be there too..

your serious?? thats an important reason to watch evsc
15.04.2007 - 09:55
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Yep, I'm serious. They just play a couple of songs, but they're not involved in the competition. The ESC is held in Finland this year, so I guess they're just trying to show foreigners different kinds of music that come from Finland.
----
You'll never walk alone.