Metal Storm logo
Apocalyptica

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 05.08.2006 - 03:31
I looked for a topic about this amazing band but didn't find, so here it is. Better known in their earlier works for covering such bands like Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer and obviously Metallica, they've now turned their sound into something more melodic, electric and adding drums (since Reflections) and guest vocals (since Cult).

So what do you think about Metallica's and other bands' covers? Do you like their progression or do you really miss "Inquisition Symphony" and "Plays Metallica"?
15.04.2007 - 12:32
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Well I have to watch ESC then. Finally some real music during the show!
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.04.2007 - 20:18
Reverie
I like their progression, because making covers to Metallica was just a way to start. The grown as a band, an instrumental basically band, and they are great. I love their CD, Cult, for me is the best, because they could put all the feelings on each song, the meaning of them are very well put within.

About the vocal songs, I loved a lot Bittersweet, I just got fascinated... So, like being only instrumental or with the vocal part, they are great.

I couldn't believe a friend of mine when he told me that the came to his school once and played in the gym ._. I wanted to kill him for being so affortunated!! This happened in Mexico
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
17.04.2007 - 23:09
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
I love this band ... everything theyhave done is great, and im glad they dont have a singer, truly amazing ... they are such a unique band
17.04.2007 - 23:55
Raptus666
They really are unique band. So nice to hear metal which is played with cellos. And what comes about the singer I think it's good without. Example bittersweet is good song, but singers kind a take a away those uncommon and unique things from the Apocalyptica and then it wouldn't be same kind of band anymore.
18.04.2007 - 01:19
Bitch Boy
I agree, it's way much better without a singer, it's ok only as guests but I'm also getting tired that they are inviting someone for almost every single, fortunately they still release the original song without vocals.
18.04.2007 - 15:02
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 18.04.2007 at 01:19

I agree, it's way much better without a singer, it's ok only as guests but I'm also getting tired that they are inviting someone for almost every single, fortunately they still release the original song without vocals.

there is one song that i think the vocal-version is better than the original: Faraway(feat. Linda).But it's just my idea..
18.04.2007 - 19:22
Bitch Boy
@ duyhung: maybe because the original one is very boring, especially because of the piano intro
19.04.2007 - 05:16
duyhung
Account deleted
@Bitch Boy: i agree that the whole song(without vocals) is a little boring,but the piano intro is nice,isn't it?
19.04.2007 - 17:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just me who dislikes Plays Metallica by Four Cellos? All those songs by Metallica means so much for me but Apocalyptica just doesn't succeed with their covers, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is very good though and Master of Puppets is truly a masterpiece, I almost cry during the instrumental part after the second chorus. But covers like Enter Sandman, without doubt one of the worst covers (and Metal songs) I've ever heard!
----
19.04.2007 - 18:57
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Warman: I like that album, and I find the covers quite good. But it's just a matter of opinion. But I agree with you on 'Mater Of Puppets'...brilliant track
----

19.04.2007 - 21:28
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Master of Puppets is a good cover and I like most of the covers they've made. No matter how much you hate me for saying this, but still I think the cover of Nothing Else Matters is just a pure masterpiece. It's a magical moment to listen to it in a dark and quiet room. If there's a song that brings tears into my eyes, it's that one. But I see your point, since those original songs mean a lot to you. Original is always the best.
----
You'll never walk alone.
19.04.2007 - 21:39
Sunioj
These guys are really skilled, I used to play cello myself and I never thought of standing and playing it too...Im surprised they play the music as accurately as they do, because its really hard to stand and play at the same time especially at their speed.
19.04.2007 - 23:05
Bitch Boy
Written by Guest on 19.04.2007 at 05:16

@Bitch Boy: i agree that the whole song(without vocals) is a little boring,but the piano intro is nice,isn't it?

The piano does sound good indeed, but the song is a little boring, I agree with you that Linda's vocals made it more interesting. But there are other songs like Path or Hope that sound much better without voice.

@ Warman: for me "Plays Metallica" is a very good album. The cover of "Enter Sadman" is ok, but the original Metallica song is much better. The covers of "Master of Puppets" and "One" for me are really masterpieces, especially "One", with the cello solos and riffs at the end of the song, it's outstanding.
20.04.2007 - 20:15
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Just to let you know, Apocalyptica will perform during the small pause between the contestants in the Eurovision. So, if you thought you could avoid watching the actual show by seeing Apocalyptica for starters, it won't happen. Instead you'll see Lordi opening the ESC.
----
You'll never walk alone.
20.04.2007 - 22:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Ernotar: damn that was exactly what I was hoping for...well I think I'll survive...the mute button is invented
----

20.04.2007 - 22:31
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Even worse...it turned out they'll be accompanying some stupid ballet show. I don't know if they even get to play any of their own songs... Who the fuck wants to see ballet?! I'm gonna have to give some feedback to the organizers...
----
You'll never walk alone.
20.04.2007 - 22:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Ernotar: WTF!!! I don't want to ballet...it's bad enough that I have to watch ESC. Eventhough ballet to a Metallica cover could be fun:suicide:
----

20.04.2007 - 22:44
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Ok, searched some more information and it looks like Apocalyptica will be playing their own music after all, but there will be a ballet and a circus show at the same time... Who the fuck gets these ideas? At least the person behind this idea must've been really drunk while getting it...
----
You'll never walk alone.
22.04.2007 - 02:40
Bitch Boy
Apocalyptica with ballet?? That's so ridiculous...
22.04.2007 - 17:38
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
It'll only last for 8 minutes or so, which is good when it comes to the ballet, but not good when it comes to Apocalyptica's music. Consider yourself, whether it's worth watching...
----
You'll never walk alone.
23.04.2007 - 00:48
Bitch Boy
8 minutes of ballet is a lot for me
24.04.2007 - 11:46
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
And they even dared to say in the paper that Apocalyptica dominates the show by playing an 8-minute-long set. They also said that Apocalyptica is allowed to play almost as long versions of their songs as on the albums. I wouldn't call that an achievement. And the bad news don't seem to stop...all the contestants will perform first and then during the voting time, Apocalyptica will have their show. So that means we'll have to listen to 24 or so crappy songs before getting to hear music in our ears...
----
You'll never walk alone.
27.04.2007 - 04:19
Reverie
Hahaha, ballet? Well... maybe they're really open and can't get the classical thing out of their heads
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
27.04.2007 - 04:32
Bitch Boy
@ Reverie: they began making Christmas song covers so maybe there's the explanation for this ballet thing.
27.04.2007 - 12:41
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I expect the ballet is just something for people to watch while Apocalyptica play - most people won't have a clue who they are anyway.

A bit of free advertising can't hurt anyway - they have a new album due sometime this year I believe.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
27.04.2007 - 14:46
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Apocalyptica will play two of their old songs and one new one. So, to me it's definitely a reason to watch.
----
You'll never walk alone.
28.04.2007 - 04:29
Bitch Boy
New song?? Well, this changes everything. But I don't even know if they are going to present the show here in Mexico.

Must wait for the Youtube Dude
29.04.2007 - 15:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bitch Boy on 19.04.2007 at 23:05

@ Warman: for me "Plays Metallica" is a very good album. The cover of "Enter Sadman" is ok, but the original Metallica song is much better. The covers of "Master of Puppets" and "One" for me are really masterpieces, especially "One", with the cello solos and riffs at the end of the song, it's outstanding.

I just meant the covers on the first album, later Metallica covers such as Nothing Else Matters, For Whom the Bell Tolls and One are outstanding! They didn't have a lot of atmosphere on the first album, but they found it on Inquisition Symphony, their by far best album, a true masterpiece!
----
29.04.2007 - 15:56
APOHAKC
The Bard
Reflections is my favorite Apocalyptica album, trully awesome, don't like other albums much...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.04.2007 - 01:42
Bitch Boy
Written by Warman on 29.04.2007 at 15:05

I just meant the covers on the first album, later Metallica covers such as Nothing Else Matters, For Whom the Bell Tolls and One are outstanding! They didn't have a lot of atmosphere on the first album, but they found it on Inquisition Symphony, their by far best album, a true masterpiece!

I get it My favorite is "Cult" but "Inquisition Symphony" is also a very great one.