Metal Storm logo
Keep Of Kalessin - Now Available On Stamps

Just when you thought you had heard it all in the Black metal scene... Keep Of Kalessin now have their own set of stamps available at their merch booth. Oh yes they have.

As you all vividly remember, Keep Of Kalessin participated on Norway's Melodi Grand Prix 2010, the nationals for the Eurovision Song Contest. The show took place on February 6 in Oslo, and Keep Of Kalessin came out third. Footage can be watched here.

As one of the artists competing in that Melodi Grand Prix, the Norwegian Royal Mail has made stamps with Keep Of Kalessin's mug shot on them. This normally only happens when you're part of the royal family or a historic figure of some sort. The band and the other Melodi Grand Prix finalists were presented with the stamps at a small get-together in the home of Melodi Grand Prix host Per Sundnes the day before the final.

According to the band this is "a big surprise and a huge step for metal in Norway". Which means it's time to dig up and dust off your grandfather's stamp collection, kids; collecting stamps is totally tr00.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Keep Of Kalessin
Posted: 20.02.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 29   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 193 users
20.02.2010 - 16:44
BudDa

..and br00tal!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
20.02.2010 - 16:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The kid in the picture with the blue toque/beanie thing is going to be a vocalist in an extreme metal band down the road. Mark my words.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.02.2010 - 17:17
Syk
myspace/bonerama
So this is why they entered... so they could be stuck to an envelope without being... stuck to an envelope...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
20.02.2010 - 17:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The photo is priceless
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.02.2010 - 17:45
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This is really hilarious, who the hell writes this things? Collecting stamps is krieg!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.02.2010 - 18:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ugh...It's getting harder and harder to defend this band.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.02.2010 - 18:40
RafaRata

Haha I laughed a bit, but I still love this band !
20.02.2010 - 19:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2010 at 18:26

i cannot put my thoughts on this into words. really.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.02.2010 - 19:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 20.02.2010 at 19:17

Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2010 at 18:26

i cannot put my thoughts on this into words. really.

Despite their newer music being catchy and really accessible, I still enjoy it, so naturally I'll defend it. Then they go and do something like this.

Next in KoK news, a collaboration with Sting and Bono to save some starving children or some shit.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.02.2010 - 20:13
Inlé

Um... Alright then.
20.02.2010 - 20:30
Lord_Regnier

"a big surprise and a huge step for metal in Norway"

A huge step in making metal more mainstream, commercial, sold-out.

A huge step in attracting non-metal whimps who can't stand rougher music and will then come on metal boards to complain as soon as the songs are not soft enough for their sensitive ears.

A huge step in spoiling metal for those who like it when it's done the way it should be. (those who can appreciate real metal at its rightful value)

Fuck Keep Of Kalessin and fuck all the bands who act the way they did here. It's a shame to see how metal bands have no integrity nowadays.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.02.2010 - 21:14
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Ellrohir on 20.02.2010 at 17:42

The photo is priceless

yeah dude that little kid in the blue beanie all the way to the left is n3kr0 as fuck hahaha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
20.02.2010 - 22:07
Symmachus

I haven't heard this band's music yet, but I am uncomfortable with a metal band's photo being on stamps. That, I'll say, is a sell-out move. I'm currently reading reviews for their recent Dragontower single on Encyclopaedia Metallum, both of which give the song a zero percent rating.
20.02.2010 - 22:12
Abattoir

Written by Lord_Regnier on 20.02.2010 at 20:30

Exactly...just wanted to comment this same ridiculous statement
20.02.2010 - 22:20
Slyfang

Omfg.. just omfg.. i have no words

*deletes Keep of Kalessin from his music folder*
20.02.2010 - 23:58
I_Die_Often

...it didn't say they wanted to be on the stamp... says it was a surprise to them, therefore it isn't their fault...
I also agree with Rasa.
Awkwitcherbitchen!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
21.02.2010 - 03:04
selken
Irreligious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 20.02.2010 at 20:30

A huge step in attracting non-metal whimps who can't stand rougher music and will then come on metal boards to complain as soon as the songs are not soft enough for their sensitive ears.

A huge step in spoiling metal for those who like it when it's done the way it should be. (those who can appreciate real metal at its rightful value)

Fuck Keep Of Kalessin and fuck all the bands who act the way they did here. It's a shame to see how metal bands have no integrity nowadays.

It's not uncommon to read these complaints coming out from teens, as most of them don't know yet the value of a professional career, but coming from someone who might have a real job it's kind of weird, I'm not going to attack your argument with this ad hominem falacy, so let's continue to the point.

Sold out?? what's wrong with earning money? money lets you buy things, acquire food for your subsistence and so, as long you earn it under the law is totally valid.

A professional musician like any other kind of professional, should seek growing up, for example many professional footballer dream for playing in those rich, high class clubs, many electronic dudes dream for working in the biggest and prestigious companies, many people dream for being someday the boss, because of their performance and achievements, thus, many musicians dream for being among the famous, where thousands or even billions of people scream for your name, it's a human and natural instinct to evolve, to grow, to get more and more, there is nothing wrong with that.

It kinds of bothers me when people bashes bands or musicians for selling out, they don't know what happened inside, sometimes people doesn't have option, or sometimes they are seeking different things, but anyway, in the end it's ok that people think different...
----
21.02.2010 - 12:07
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Im quite interested to see how Keep of Kalessin's forthcoming album sales will compare to the older ones, once it comes out. Maybe then they will get an idea of just how much their "strange new ways" (reserving the use of the term 'sold out') have actually benefited them if at all.

@ selken. I agree to some extent to what you are saying. None of us OWN metal. Fair enough it is annoying to hear bands becoming more accessible but in the end we as people have no say in the endeavors or choices of bands or frankly anybody who wants to become successful. Unless its an illegal act people can and will pretty much do anything to get money. LIVE WITH IT. If you dont like what they are doing then simply dont listen to them, dont support them and dont buy any of their music - its simple.

I agree with Lord Regnier in a way too with the annoyance of non-metal people perhaps being drawn to metal through this. But I think thats just us being all "precious" about metal and wanting something which is special to us and makes us unique in a way......but seriously....so what? Im pretty sure many metalheads on this site didnt start off listening to metal from the MOMENT they started listening to music.

But in the end this "commercial" stunt KoK pulled shouldnt make us whine and moan and complain like a bunch of pussies because even if we think its spoiling metal for those who love it, just fucking live your own life and enjoy the music you like.

-There will ALWAYS be metal out there which will not become more accessible
-The moment one band becomes terrible another brand new band comes along who is metal through and through.
- And lastly, for those so against it stop being so fucking childish about it....if your ego will be bruised by this and you wont feel as tough anymore or so special anymore then grow a pair of nuts and listen to real metal. Thats what Im gonna do, no use complaining about this shit just do your own fucking thing and when those fake-metalheads come on our forum to bitch and moan then we can give them hell! Sounds fun actually..
21.02.2010 - 16:32
Rasa

Totally agree, Valaskjalf.
21.02.2010 - 16:59
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 21.02.2010 at 12:07

@ selken. I agree to some extent to what you are saying. None of us OWN metal. Fair enough it is annoying to hear bands becoming more accessible but in the end we as people have no say in the endeavors or choices of bands or frankly anybody who wants to become successful. Unless its an illegal act people can and will pretty much do anything to get money. LIVE WITH IT. If you dont like what they are doing then simply dont listen to them, dont support them and dont buy any of their music - its simple.

Don't worry, I live with it. As soon as a band takes a path I dislike, I ditch it. I stick to the old albums and don't buy the new ones. I'm precisely the kind of person who can stop caring for bands and ignore the new material easily because only music matters to me. I don't give a fuck at people behind it.
But, like you say, it can be annoying if you liked the music a band made before very much and it changes completely to something you dislike.

I agree with Lord Regnier in a way too with the annoyance of non-metal people perhaps being drawn to metal through this. But I think thats just us being all "precious" about metal and wanting something which is special to us and makes us unique in a way......but seriously....so what? Im pretty sure many metalheads on this site didnt start off listening to metal from the MOMENT they started listening to music.

It's not a matter of being precious or unique, but a matter of keeping the quality of metal music at a good level. The market is already oversaturated with tons of crap nowadays. We don't need more crap.

But in the end this "commercial" stunt KoK pulled shouldnt make us whine and moan and complain like a bunch of pussies because even if we think its spoiling metal for those who love it, just fucking live your own life and enjoy the music you like.

-There will ALWAYS be metal out there which will not become more accessible
-The moment one band becomes terrible another brand new band comes along who is metal through and through.
- And lastly, for those so against it stop being so fucking childish about it....if your ego will be bruised by this and you wont feel as tough anymore or so special anymore then grow a pair of nuts and listen to real metal. Thats what Im gonna do, no use complaining about this shit just do your own fucking thing and when those fake-metalheads come on our forum to bitch and moan then we can give them hell! Sounds fun actually..

When I talk about such things, I don't complain. My comments are not moaning but contempt, scorn. I despise bands who act like KoK. It doesn't bruise my ego but makes me spit (as a matter of speaking) on those bands.
As for listening to real metal, I listen almost exclusively to Black Metal, so I don't need to grow a pair of nuts and listen to real metal. Some Powermetal fans should follow the advice, however.
----
21.02.2010 - 18:34
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.02.2010 at 16:59

As for listening to real metal, I listen almost exclusively to Black Metal, so I don't need to grow a pair of nuts and listen to real metal. Some Powermetal fans should follow the advice, however.

Well sure, some Powermetal is terrible and your view on them is quite clear. Im sure everyone on this forum knows about how much you hate powermetal because you voice it every chance you get so we understand. But again some people like powermetal....I like some of it, not much, but there will always be people who like both extreme and more melodic types of metal and Im sure during your stay on MS you have found that saying things like they need to grow some balls has had little effect. Because theyre still around and it wont change no matter how much you hate it....so again you just need to live with it.

And coming back to the KoK thing...this sort of thing shouldnt surprise anyone. Look at how many metal grammy awards and things there are. It was just a matter of time before this sort of publicity stunt was going to progress into more obscure (for lack of better term) metal genres.
21.02.2010 - 19:15
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 21.02.2010 at 18:34

And coming back to the KoK thing...this sort of thing shouldnt surprise anyone.

Indeed. Nothing can take me by surprise anymore, as far as metal is concerned. Which is sad, in a sense.

By the way, you're wrong to a certain extent. I don't hate all Powermetal. Look at every post I wrote on this board if you want and you'll see that I never make negative comments about old PM (early Blind Guardian, old Helloween when Hansen was still in the band, Gamma Ray apart from the new album) and some other stuff (Virgin Steele, old Iced Earth, Persuader, Avantasia 1-2, Rhapsody until POTD, Forgotten Tales, etc). I admit that I'm not a fan of this material anymore and it has been extremely rare I listened to this stuff in the last 2-3 years but I still respect it. I don't hate what PM was originally and has been until the late 90s or early 00s. I hate what PM has become in the last decade which is, imo, a mockery of what the genre originally was.

Also, I said recently that I liked "Stairway To Fairyland" (Freedom Call), as happy and cheesy as it can be.

From my point of view, I'm not a Powermetal hater. It's not my fault if PM sucks so much nowadays I can't overlook it.
----
22.02.2010 - 03:50
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Oh, shut the fuck up about power metal already. It's utterly irrelevant and you know it

Some of you guys are missing the point. Don't you remember the KoK news just two months ago?

On being called sellout:

Obsidian: "I think we are gonna get some reactions from the black metal scene, and lose some credibility. Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves but make a living from selling hot dogs at a gas station. I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

Regnier et al are just as much dumb fucks as the retard leading this band
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.02.2010 - 03:59
Lord_Regnier

Written by Syk on 22.02.2010 at 03:50

Oh, shut the fuck up about power metal already. It's utterly irrelevant and you know it

Some of you guys are missing the point. Don't you remember the KoK news just two months ago?

On being called sellout:

Obsidian: "I think we are gonna get some reactions from the black metal scene, and lose some credibility. Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves but make a living from selling hot dogs at a gas station. I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

Regnier et al are just as much dumb fucks as the retard leading this band

Fuck you, asshole.
----
22.02.2010 - 06:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't care if they have their own stamps, coffee mugs, or even if their faces get printed on the new KoK line of tampons. I don't like them because of their dull, accessible sound, but I'd still choose a KoK stamp over one of the generic American pride stamps. I'm perfectly content with my current snowman stamps though.

hehe KoK sounds like cock
24.02.2010 - 10:23
Skøllgrim
Northern
Should have been done years ago when black metal was blooming with the true Norwegian black metal wave.... Imagine stamps with Darkthrone, Mayhem, emperor and burzum...that would be representative for Norwegian stamps, and it would make sense. This... just doesn't, a band that didn't win anything, and is not really that famous at all... Random.
24.02.2010 - 12:43
Baz Anderson

Lord_Regnier and Syk - play nicely children, you should both know we don't tolerate aggressive behaviour.
24.02.2010 - 13:56
Lord_Regnier

Written by Baz Anderson on 24.02.2010 at 12:43

Lord_Regnier and Syk - play nicely children, you should both know we don't tolerate aggressive behaviour.

I'm not the one who came on the thread calling people dumb fucks and retards. He got what he deserved. Period.
----
24.02.2010 - 14:02
Baz Anderson

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.02.2010 at 13:56

I'm not the one who came on the thread calling people dumb fucks and retards. He got what he deserved. Period.

Yes, I agree he was asking for it. We just don't like to see people being offensive to each other in our forums.

Hits total: 4319 | This month: 4