02. Under Fullmånens Sken
03. Orostider
04. Av Jord Är Du Kommen
05. Fader Frost
06. En Sista Vandring
07. I Evig Tid
08. Han Faller Plågad Ned
09. Ett Sista Andetag

Dråpsnatt, I Denna Skog. A lot of impossible-to-pronounce, where-the-hell-are-those-letters-on-my-keyboard, who-the-hell-are-these-guys-anyway stuff. But, rest assured, those letters are available in 'Word -> Add special characters' and rest assured, the music is worth it. Let's proceed.

At first, I Denna Skog does not sound all too surprising. The songs "I Denna Skog" and "Under Fullmånens Sken" start in punkish, crunchy fashion with some background keyboard lines. Fortunately these keyboard touches provide small colourful accents without sounding goofy and 'Borgir'-esque, which is always a good sign. The clean vocals in the first track are also, in hindsight, an appetizer of what's to come.

Because, with the introduction of track three, Dråpsnatt changes face, which greatly benefits the album. The raw Black metal elements remain, but there's a new air of experimentalism and freshness that now surrounds the band. This is to be 'blamed' on the guitar and bass, mostly, which suddenly present themselves as being capable of thought-through dynamics, vivid riffs and adventurous play. Mix in a little Shining-vibe and Fen-styled play, to put it bluntly. Emphasis on the 'bluntly put', as it's more than just that. The album is blessed with a fresh, well-suited production and a few cool shrieks and soaring cleans and Dråpsnatt. Suddenly Dråpsnatt stands in a much more pleasant (and progressive) light, huh? Trust me, I Denna Skog will prove to grow on you and will turn out a worthwhile addition to their collection.

Keep in mind that this is only a debut album so yes, there are still a few flaws to be found. I'd personally advise them to welcome their experimental, unorthodox side more on the next album and to shy away from the crunchy Black which has been done too often. The current state of the Black metal scene is open to innovative bands and Dråpsnatt has what it takes to become a valuable part of this. Good job guys, keep it coming.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 25.02.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 123 users
25.02.2010 - 23:32
Krankheit
Account deleted
A very good album indeed. Dråpsnatt is also probably the only band in the world who have a song about the swine flu, Orostider.
25.02.2010 - 23:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Wow, what a nice surprise! I heard the third song and I loved the clean vocals and the beginning was so calm and "sweet". Really peaceful atmosphere. Thanks for the review!

It has been some time since I heard some Black Metal with keyboards that really sounded epic but without the cheese.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.02.2010 - 23:54
silenius

Gonna get my hands on this one, heard a couple of songs and it sounds awesome^^
26.02.2010 - 01:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Intriguing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.02.2010 - 03:57
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Heh.. cool review. Another album to remember.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.02.2010 - 05:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Shining and Fen mentioned in the same review?

Sold.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 23:00
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Got into them this morning, after reading Troy's review of Skelepth and I am thoroughly enjoying this album too. One of the best finds of the year for me.

Hits total: 4734 | This month: 8