Metal Storm logo
Arsis

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 06.08.2006 - 04:21
Arsis is a two-man metal band from Virginia, USA that formed in 2000. They only have two releases, but both of them are solid and show that they are one of the most talented bands around today. Vocalist and guitarist James Malone graduated from the Berklee School of Music some years ago and has definitely lived up to his potential.

I've had the opportunity to see these guys live and I must say that they are incredible. James Malone does his raspy vocals as he shreds, which is pretty impressive. Definitely a must see.
24.03.2008 - 09:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
With exception to the first song, the new album is pretty good. United in Regret was a little disappointing to me because it came nowhere near matching the brilliance of their debut, and We Are the Nightmare doesn't either, but it's still cool. Their technicality continues to increase, but they still aren't as catchy as they used to be.

Edit: meh I don't care for it much
24.03.2008 - 09:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 24.03.2008 at 09:34

With exception to the first song, the new album is pretty good. United in Regret was a little disappointing to me because it came nowhere near matching the brilliance of their debut, and We Are the Nightmare doesn't either, but it's still cool. Their technicality continues to increase, but they still aren't as catchy as they used to be.

Yeah, Arsis seem to always have a high level of technicality to their music. At least what I can tell from my ears. I'm sure whatever they play is far beyond my one semester of music theory. Anyway, I agree, their first album was much catchier, and it also had a lot more of that "sappy" emotion to it to, which I find appealing at times. However, new Arsis isn't a bad thing at all.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.03.2008 - 21:02
Stigmatized
Am I the only one who found a slight deathcore sound in their new album?
24.03.2008 - 21:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Stigmatized on 24.03.2008 at 21:02

Am I the only one who found a slight deathcore sound in their new album?

I can see where you're coming from. I don't know if I could call it any more than just a "...slight deathcore sound..." as you did. Regardless, I find Arsis to be a lot more enjoyable than most Deathcore that I have come across. More talented too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.03.2008 - 23:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm well I only listened to it once, but I only got a technical/melodic death vibe. There's too much wankery for it to be deathcore, and plus I didn't hear anything "core" on only one listen, but I'll keep an ear open next time I play it.
25.03.2008 - 00:04
Stigmatized
Yeah, I didn't mean it was a straight deathcore album. I think the production just made some songs have a deathcore vibe to me.
03.04.2008 - 22:49
Colony
Account deleted
Arsis is an amazing breath of fresh air IMO........
03.04.2008 - 22:58
Diminished2b
Account deleted
Fucken "ballet Metal"
29.06.2008 - 14:34
Freak
I have whole discography from Arsis, and they are very good...
05.12.2008 - 03:40
I have United In Regret probably not the best of Arsis and its just amazing .. all my friends love this album and i discovered this band with this ... but i want Celebration Of Guilt
05.12.2008 - 06:13
thesabbathfan
I just checked them out now...

man this is actually really refreshing
----
07.12.2008 - 20:15
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Yeah Arsis is def one of my fave bands lately-- they won me over with We are the Nightmare-- then I checked out their previous albums-- such great stuff-- so complex and awesome
09.12.2008 - 05:47
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I've heard 'We Are the Nightmare' a couple of times, and i digged it the first time. Although the songwrting is really good and every member are primo with their instruments there's a lack of heaviness compared to their older stuff. A few more listens of 'We Are the Nightmare' and i just figured in the end that it was an ok album.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
05.08.2009 - 22:06
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Visioneerie on 09.12.2008 at 05:47

I've heard 'We Are the Nightmare' a couple of times, and i digged it the first time. Although the songwrting is really good and every member are primo with their instruments there's a lack of heaviness compared to their older stuff. A few more listens of 'We Are the Nightmare' and i just figured in the end that it was an ok album.

Definitely. The funny thing is that I heard that song before any of the older albums, and I thought it was awesome. Then I heard the other albums, realized it was crap compared to them.
17.05.2010 - 07:16
Phil-O-Wisp
Account deleted
"A Celebration of Guilt" basically began my transformation in metal listening from Power and progressive metal in the early years to a darker, heavier place nowadays....thank you James Malone

....oh yah...and this is my 666th post, my "post of the beast" ...i think i'll let it sit for a day or two
10.06.2010 - 01:55
Starve For The Devil Is Very Disapointing me nuclear blast always disturb bands that i love it pissing me off
11.06.2010 - 22:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I remember when these guys first came out, there was lots of talk of them being the saviour of melodeath and that they mixed in black metal (which was a bit nonsense really) etc. The first album and EP were indeed spectacular then they fell off the map a bit and they seemed to have lost a lot of respect in recent times. Are the last two albums really that bad?
13.06.2010 - 14:12
Stigmatized
"We Are the Nightmare" wasn't really that good, but it had some good moments. I've listened to "Starve for the Devil" once and it sounded pretty solid to me. It's not on the same level as the debut, but an improvement nonetheless.
26.06.2010 - 18:04
Got Mayhem?
I've only listened to Celebration of Guilt and it suprised me. Most technical DM albums put me to sleep with their tasteless fret-urbation and plastic sounding production. This album had neither of those qualities. In all honesty it was an excellent album, recommended.
----
27.06.2010 - 14:53
I_Die_Often
Arsis was an opening band for the recent Dying Fetus tour, the venue emptied when it was time for them to play!!! I was surprised, they aren't that bad!
Everyone did come back for Fetus, perhaps just not the crowd for Arsis...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
02.09.2010 - 11:27
JD
Account deleted
Yesterday was my first day listning to Arsis i only have this album "A Celebration of Guilt" and i really liked them they are awsome!