09. She Comes In Colors
10. The Obsidian Conspiracy
11. Crystal Ship [The Doors cover]
12. Temptation [The Tea Party cover]

The Best Thrash Metal Album Of 2010

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
How does a band top a masterpiece? For example, they change a lot. South of Heaven after Reign in Blood felt shockingly slow and heavy. Or they try to copy their best release, with mixed results: see Enslaved's Ruun or Testament's New Order. Another way to tackle the post-masterpiece syndrome is what Nevermore did - and let me tell you in advance that they did it beautifully - you take what you did best and eliminate the elements that weren't perfect. Assuming that it's done by a band as talented as Nevermore, the final product must be at least outstanding. Or even brilliant, and I'm happy to announce to you dear readers, that brilliant is what The Obsidian Conspiracy is.

Read more ››
published 15.08.2010 | Comments (70)

Guest review by
strade
Rating:
What do a five year wait, a couple solo albums, trying to live up to a masterpiece, conflicting artistic direction, and totally mangling a sound that needed little improvement all have in common? They're all reasons why Nevermore's last release before deteriorating as a band, The Obsidian Conspiracy, underwhelms. Severely. In 2010, five years after the raw and hate-fueled masterpiece This Godless Endeavor was unleashed upon our unprepared society, Nevermore released this nonsensical escapade, and I could hardly believe I was listening to the same band; and no, as you might have already guessed, I don't mean that in a positive way.

Read more ››
published 16.03.2012 | Comments (23)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 60   Visited by: 1511 users
26.02.2010 - 20:42
Huntteri

Is this album already released? will it be released this february or this april?
26.02.2010 - 20:54
Darkside Momo
Retired
No dates yet
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.03.2010 - 21:05
Huntteri

It is said in the wikipedia that it will be released at the first day of april
29.03.2010 - 18:20
voodoo turkey

I cant wait for this album!! It should keep me and the 7-string busy for the next few years or so haha!!
06.05.2010 - 16:07
Borg

Transmission [The Tea Party cover]
interesting...
06.05.2010 - 21:12
narek_g

bow to nevermore to jeff to warrel...
you have no idea how badly i want this album
09.05.2010 - 11:57
Riscannon

It leaked damn it
09.05.2010 - 16:39
Roro

Sure it is.
downloading...
09.05.2010 - 20:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just listened to the full album once, and my first impressions are its definitely not as good as ''This Godless Endeavor''. Im sure some songs will be growers though. Some songs really stood out for me though! "Your Poison Throne" has some great hooks, and a powerful riff. ''Moonrise'' is just monstrous, and is classic Nevermore! Definitely one designed to take your head off! lol ''Emptiness Unobstructed'' has a very memorable chorus, and the whole song is atmospheric, and a brooding Nevermore classic. I dont need to mention that the title track is a faceripper, as I think all fans have already heard it! My inital thoughts are of slight disappointment, but topping the previous album was always going to be a monumental task. There are some great songs on it though, and Im sure some others will grow on me. xD
09.05.2010 - 23:27
Baz Anderson

Greatly underwhelming is all I can say at the moment.
10.05.2010 - 00:31
Roro

Didnt really enjoy it :s
11.05.2010 - 17:16
Rating: 9
bodomroy

Excellent album!!!
11.05.2010 - 21:36
Darkside Momo
Retired
Good album for sure, but it's certainly not their best.
----

I am awake"
15.05.2010 - 16:55
Rating: 8
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Darkside Momo on 11.05.2010 at 21:36

Good album for sure, but it's certainly not their best.

True that! With This Godless Endeavor we all wondered whether Nevermore had really evolved to that new sound or if that's just Steve Smyth making his influence count. There we have our answer. This one continues the evolution of Dead Heart In A Dead World and Enemies Of Reality leaving This Godless Endeavor their sole masterpiece from another dimension of Nevermore.

Who else feels reminded of Children Of Bodom's Needled 24/7 when listening to the first 22 seconds of the title track?
----
20.05.2010 - 17:26
Rating: 10
Metal Maiden
Megadead
I love it...almost all of the songs stand out for me...definitely not as good as This Godless Endeavour and Dead Heart in A Dead World, but their third best in my book...
28.05.2010 - 04:29
ponderer

Written by Metal Maiden on 20.05.2010 at 17:26

I love it...almost all of the songs stand out for me...definitely not as good as This Godless Endeavour and Dead Heart in A Dead World, but their third best in my book...

Funny you'd say that because those are my 2 favorite cds as well and I don't think they'll ever top either one.
28.05.2010 - 07:15
Theoderic

Best album for me.This different.Great leads and great vocals of Warrell.Not bad song in album.
28.05.2010 - 09:37
Rating: 5
whitepawel

Naaah
28.05.2010 - 12:08
Rating: 6
Tatras

I am disappointed by this album... it isn't bad but comparing to "This Godless Endeavor" and "Enemies Of Reality" its little boring. Good, but i don't think that i will listening it so often like the previous albums.
28.05.2010 - 15:03
Rating: 7
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
I find it pretty gray and boring... definately not their best
28.05.2010 - 21:16
Rating: 9
NevermindMetal

This one is definitely a grower of course everyone that expected another "this godless endeavor" will be disappointed - Well to reach such a brilliant album again is next to impossible but this album has once again amazing lyrics and it sounds awesome as well - There is some lack of catchiness in the songs for some reason that's why it takes about 4 listenings (at least for me) to like the songs but they are indeed awesome just not catchy enough only nevermore can know why..
29.05.2010 - 00:09
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Its a grower alright, but nevertheless one of their weakest albums.

Fav tracks: The Termination Proclamation, Moonrise, Emptiness Unobstructed
30.05.2010 - 19:53
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Boring. Technically very good, lyrics wise not even close to their old albums, atmospherically boring.
30.05.2010 - 21:35
Rating: 8
Dologan

Written by ponderer on 28.05.2010 at 04:29

Funny you'd say that because those are my 2 favorite cds as well and I don't think they'll ever top either one.

Yet you both give this album a perfect 10 rating?? Odd, those scales...

It's not a bad album at any rate, but after such a long wait after the monumental Godless Endeavour, I couldn't help feeling somewhat disappointed myself too...
30.05.2010 - 23:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by corrupt on 15.05.2010 at 16:55

leaving This Godless Endeavor their sole masterpiece from another dimension of Nevermore.

For another another dimension of Nevermore, Dreaming Neon Black also stands out as unique... and great!
Written by corrupt on 15.05.2010 at 16:55

Who else feels reminded of Children Of Bodom's Needled 24/7 when listening to the first 22 seconds of the title track?

Well... I'm not...
----

I am awake"
01.06.2010 - 23:08
Got Mayhem?

I like Nevermore a lot..but the fact that this is rated as the #1 of 2010 so far either says to me that many MS'ers have gone mad this year or just deaf

(seriously though, this years ratings are really low...)
----
01.06.2010 - 23:09
babak-sdn

Im not sure about the vote that i'll give to this album.perfect? brilliant? very good? maybe brilliant...
but really still i dont know that how Nevermore could make This Godless Endeavor. that was amazing
03.06.2010 - 23:25
ponderer

Written by Dologan on 30.05.2010 at 21:35

Written by ponderer on 28.05.2010 at 04:29

Yet you both give this album a perfect 10 rating?? Odd, those scales...

It's not a bad album at any rate, but after such a long wait after the monumental Godless Endeavour, I couldn't help feeling somewhat disappointed myself too...

After about the 3rd listen it really started to take shape and unfold for me. There's some absolutely brilliant stuff on Obsidian Conspiracy.
04.06.2010 - 00:06
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
This album is a good thrash metal album. But as panther_rider said, I can't see how this Nevermore could have made This Godless Endeavor.
05.06.2010 - 02:33
Heinosity
Account deleted
It is a very good album, but not their best.

Hits total: 38939 | This month: 20