Release date: January 2010

01. For You To Know
02. Debris
03. The Poet And The Painter Of Souls
04. The Smoke
05. A Shade Of Plague
06. With You Came Silence
07. Pale Eye Revelation
08. The Final Solution (Entering The Black Lodge)

Progressive Melodic Death metal
Recorded: Black Lounge Studio, Sweden 2009
Label: Pulverised Records
Total Running Time: 57:04

Here we have an album that will undoubtedly make it to a lot of end of year lists. And when I say a lot, I actually mean a lot. Mark my words.

Lately I'm not too much into either prog or melodeath. But this may well be one of the best progressive melodic death metal albums I've heard in, oh I don't know, ever. The brutal truth is that In Mourning knocked the ball right out of the park with this one. Seriously, this album rocks so fucking hard I can't even begin to tell you.

In comparison to Shrouded Divine, the Swedes are notably cutting back a bit on the complex and progressive arrangements, making the sound a little more accessible and more pleasurable to listen to. Even more than on the debut, the band relies on chugging riffs, catchy hooks, sudden tempo/vocal changes and beautiful melodies to get things going. This is everything what "melodic with a raw edge" should stand for. And on the more melodic/melancholic parts, it's almost as if they have a - what I would like to call - Insomnium vibe going on.

Monolith is above all a surprisingly good and cohesive album - modern in a very distinct way - and in my eyes even an improvement over Shrouded Divine. The record is also diverse enough to spin it a couple of times in a row. Bottom line: In Mourning has proven they're a class band with skills, and with a fine sense for melody and originality.

Editor's note: I'm well aware of the fact this review may look like it's written by a giant subjective douchebag on wheels. But maybe, this is album is just that good. Pretty sure the majority of people commenting hereafter will agree (the album is currently regarded as the top album of 2010 after all). And if this review couldn't convince you checking this shit out, nothing will... so, you're welcome.

Written by Thryce | 27.02.2010

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Monolith is a huge freaking disappointment. Not that I was blown away by In Mourning's previous effort but because this is probably the number one album in terms of wasted potential. Seriously, friends, there are soooo many good, smart, catchy and even mind-blowing riffs and leads on this album, which are completely ruined by boring retreats to dragging, recurring, "sentimental" mid-paced melodies. Take track one: what initially sounds like something heavy and bombastic is later ruined by the higher-register-guitar-driven whiny chorus, and then later saved again by a great bridge, and then ruined again... So many times have I found myself banging my head to some great grooves in a particular song only to be pissed off at how the song develops later ("Pale Eye Revelation") or being initially bored and then taken by surprise ("With You Came Silence"). Inconsistency...

Read more ››
published 18.12.2010 | Comments (13)

Comments

Comments: 23   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 392 users
27.02.2010 - 17:15
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Pretty to-the-point review. I rated it with a 10 myself after some serious thought. So, I pretty much agree with everything you said in terms of originality and freshness, this is an album that will stand out.

I doubt that it will be in the 1st place when the year ends, their still very unknown for that to happen but I hope this album helps them to get new fans and new people listening to their albums. They're definitely worth it.

I was a fan after they released "Shrouded Divine" and when I listened to "Monolith" I just flipped, it was so much better than I had anticipated.

No matter what people say, I'll stick to my guts. I really love this album, amazing riffs, amazing lyrics, amazing arrangements and melodies, it's everything I want. I'm having a hard time choosing my favourite songs because they're all so good but probably "debris" and "the poet and the painter of souls" are on top right now. Isn't that little riff that comes after the first two verses of the song so catchy? Talk about some headbanging material.

Check this album everyone.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.02.2010 - 00:18
Rating: 9
advent

Good album indeed and a classy composing but i think that there originality is a bit low as i think they somehow like Opeth...and my fav song is "the poet and the painter of souls" but yeah this a good prog release,,, heard Ishan after album too and it was great...hope it will be a great year for prog metal
28.02.2010 - 07:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
9/10 easily, although I think the Insomnium comparison is a little off. These guys seem too aggressive and not melancholic enough, more along the lines of Morningside-era Opeth.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.02.2010 - 09:47
.exe
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.02.2010 at 07:43

9/10 easily, although I think the Insomnium comparison is a little off. These guys seem too aggressive and not melancholic enough, more along the lines of Morningside-era Opeth.

I agree with that... resembles older Opeth - Insomnium not at all.

9/10 - solid!
28.02.2010 - 10:55
Rating: 8
Mikyz

Very accurate review, I still find The Shrouded Divine slightly better, but I really dig the vocals on this album. Plus I think you were definitely right when you compared the melancholic parts to Insomnium. Easily 9/10.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.02.2010 - 12:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
You guys and your Opeth. Was only referring to Insomnium on the calmer/melodic/melancholic parts btw.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.02.2010 - 19:37
Abattoir

Damn the Shrouded Divine album was great, and now after reading this I can't wait to hear this new stuff
28.02.2010 - 19:39
Mr. Burns

Love this band......great album. Not sure if it's better than Shrouded Divine, have to give it time.
28.02.2010 - 20:06
flamey

It surely will be in MY top albums of 2010. I also think it's a tad better than Shrouded Divine. The last song is my favorite.
Plus, I also thought there was a side to it that sounded like the Finnish melancholic/doom/death/whatever metal bands, good to know I wasn't the only one.
28.02.2010 - 22:20
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Yep, definitely will be among the highlights on 2010
----
loves 小巫
28.02.2010 - 22:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
Listening to it on their myspace, it does sound really promising...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2010 - 01:56
MeloDeathViking

After hearing Shouded Divine I listed In Mourning as one of my favorite bands, and this album proves once again why I think they deserve a spot there. Great review, you hit the nail right on the head. These guys seem like they are gonna be a band to hang around and put out many more great albums. This album will defnitly be i my top 10 list at the end of the year.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
13.03.2010 - 17:55
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Severely good album....SEVERELY. The new album is magnificent, I never really knew anything about them until recently. Always recognised their name but never bothered to check them out until a friend suggested it and WOW, its so good. Very "Opeth-meet-Insomnium" vibe on the new album.

Gave it a 10 and I rarely do that, its a great surprise and already has a spot in my top 10 of the year. Possibly top 2 as it stands along with Ihsahn. Very impressive and gives me hope in metal again...the last year or two Ive only heard a handful of bands that blew me away, but this is a good start to the year already!
14.03.2010 - 20:32
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Good review Thryce. This sure needs to heard by as many people as it can. Truly a refreshing sound.. and we all need it.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
21.03.2010 - 11:55
Harlequin

Very, very good one. Worth every euro I spent.
----
00:40 - Doomface
Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't age like humans do.
12.04.2010 - 22:40
@gent_-_orange

This album is getting a lot of praise, gonna have to check it out
13.04.2010 - 15:55
Justicelust

Good review. I'll check it out with no doubt
15.04.2010 - 22:18
Lawre

Similar to Insomnium? Man I really need to check this one out!
16.04.2010 - 16:29
k0eff

I like more shrouded divine.
----
SILENCE! I'll kill you!
03.06.2010 - 15:03
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
The Smoke
Best song of this year imo.
17.09.2010 - 03:01
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Jeez i must get my hands on it seems like a great album
27.12.2010 - 10:08
Fleshcrawl

I really don't see how you can compare anything that is Opeth to In Mourning's Monolith, nothing remotely sounds similar between the two bands. And as much as I love Opeth, they have never blown me away with anything they've done, unlike In Mourning. Monolith is my personal Top Album of 2010.
19.04.2012 - 20:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Quote:

Not sure I'd agree with this anymore. I don't hate it... but not an "easy" 9. More like a low 8 or high 7. I guess I was just super excited to hear something that reminded me of what Opeth could sound like if they weren't as boring.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 8892 | This month: 6