06. From The Dark Past
07. Buried By Time And Dust
08. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Top 20 albums of 1994: 4
Top 200 albums of all time: 191

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
This is one of the most respected albums in Black Metal History, Why is that? Beats me actually, but I can assure you this album is uncommon and very original for the genre it stands for, the music is aggressive and very raw, the execution towards this album is not complex or actually talented, but it's multi-faceted and layered, I think this album deserves all the credit it has, now lets take a closer view...

Read more ››
published 29.07.2005 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
Jagermeister
Rating:
Whenever one thinks of the term "black metal," they almost instantly think of Mayhem and their magnum opus, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Why is that?

Read more ››
published 09.06.2015 | Comments (6)

Found in 80 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 59   Visited by: 1855 users
28.02.2010 - 02:42
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Awesome Album
04.03.2010 - 22:50
F.O.A.D
Account deleted
One of the best metal albums of all time.
04.03.2010 - 22:58
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Its gonna be on lots of my lists when I made them
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.07.2010 - 04:49
DemonofDarkness
Account deleted
True
13.05.2011 - 16:09
The Technogoat
The Technogoat
Written by Guest on 04.03.2010 at 22:50

Completely agree.
----
Human, all too fucking human.
13.05.2011 - 16:12
Rating: 10
XV535Virago

Written by The Technogoat on 13.05.2011 at 16:09

Written by Guest on 04.03.2010 at 22:50

Completely agree.

Me too.
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
13.05.2011 - 21:02
RavenKing

Mediocre and immensely overrated.
Darkthone, Satyricon and Immortal were all ten times better than this back then.

A good example of an album that became famous for reasons outside of the music itself.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.05.2011 - 06:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 13.05.2011 at 21:02

Darkthone, Satyricon and Immortal were all ten times better than this back then.

A good example of an album that became famous for reasons outside of the music itself.

Well those bands were copied to death (perhaps not so much Satyricon who lacked identity somewhat) thus destroying their integrity, Mayhem clones are relatively rare (I can only think of Frost (from the UK) copying this particular record). Though Ordo is a much more interesting album from a neutral and personal point of view this record, owing mostly to the vocals delivery which even this many years later would be considered incredibly unusual, is far more stapled in history from a thematic point of view. It's difficult to play the overrated card with any precedence when so many people will cite it as a historical landmark, so why bother? I fail to see the necessity of comparing the relevance of the famous 1994 black metal albums that were released. A scheduled attempt at historical revisionism perhaps?
14.05.2011 - 06:31
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Seems like a lot of folks these days tend to think this album is overrated. I find it to be one of the best black metal albums. The riff starting at 0:27 is my favorite metal riff, by any band in any genre.
14.05.2011 - 18:11
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 14.05.2011 at 06:26

I fail to see the necessity of comparing the relevance of the famous 1994 black metal albums that were released. A scheduled attempt at historical revisionism perhaps?

What you overlook is those so-called famous Black Metal albums were quite unnoticed originally or even mocked.
You want to talk about revisionism? Fine. The way people talk and see those albums nowadays IS revisionism. People have a false idea of the impact and importance those albums had back then.
I'm not the revisionist in this case, I just bring the true facts.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.05.2011 - 19:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 14.05.2011 at 18:11

Written by Guest on 14.05.2011 at 06:26

I fail to see the necessity of comparing the relevance of the famous 1994 black metal albums that were released. A scheduled attempt at historical revisionism perhaps?

What you overlook is those so-called famous Black Metal albums were quite unnoticed originally or even mocked.
You want to talk about revisionism? Fine. The way people talk and see those albums nowadays IS revisionism. People have a false idea of the impact and importance those albums had back then.
I'm not the revisionist in this case, I just bring the true facts.

Calling something mediocre and overrated aren't facts though. Trying to deny the impact of this record is pretty naive, regardless of how it was received or viewed on its release. If you can't alter your perception of the changing nature of a particular record's impact then you've a bit of problem. If say this album was indeed mocked or whatever when it was first released and has gone on to receive such praise then I wouldn't call that overrated, regardless of the way in which it achieved that fame. And anyway, sooner or later every single album or band of some notable fame gets the overrated flag waved at it and in my experience most of the time it's simply because the said person doesn't like it.
14.08.2011 - 05:28
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I really hate the vocals on this. Sounds like Attila was mumbling to himself for most of the album.
I reckon it's a good indicator of what type of black metal someone prefers depending on whether they like this or Grand Declaration Of War better.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.08.2011 - 06:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 14.08.2011 at 05:28
I reckon it's a good indicator of what type of black metal someone prefers depending on whether they like this or Grand Declaration Of War better.

What do you think of people who like them equally?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2011 - 07:18
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Then they probably like regular and "fancy" Black metal about the same. I prefer Declaration over Sathanas, and I like the more melodic or symphonic black metal acts better.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.06.2012 - 01:52
neiluria

Freezing Moon is a masterpiece!
02.10.2012 - 03:51
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Great album, but I think it would be a lot better with Dead singing on this one.
28.12.2012 - 01:25
megadeath13
Account deleted
Not the biggest "norwegian black metal" fan in the world, but this album is damn good and should be respected. "Freezing moon" is just a killer.
09.06.2013 - 22:10
belphegor666

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is pure magic...Best Black Metal Album Ever....So Dark,Evil,Atmospheric...One Of My Favourite albums ever...Hail Mayhem
23.06.2013 - 21:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I always wondered how this album would sound if dead was in the vocals. I guess I can only dream.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.06.2013 - 21:32
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Probably not nearly as good but that's just my opinion. I find Dead quite overrated because while he was good, he was nothing special. Attila on the other hand, whether people like him or not, has an unique voice.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.06.2013 - 21:59
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yeah, Atilla all the way. His vocal performance here and on Ordo Ab Chao enhance the morbidness of those two releases, can't imagine them without his vocals.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.09.2013 - 07:56
Lião
Account deleted
In my opinion, Dead was the best black metal vocalist ever. This album would be ten times better with this demonic growls/shrieks rather than Attila's weird vocals. Neverthless a fun album... Influential but a bit overrated in my opinion. Ah, I miss the first-wave black metal times... Hellhammer, Possessed, Bathory, Celtic Frost... that was the truly black metal.

By the way, can someone tell me where can I find the version of "Freezing Moon" with Dead on vocals, aside from the demos and rehersal stuff? I want the very same "Freezing Moon" that was used in the Fenriz compilation in 2004.
29.12.2013 - 21:01
Erik M.

Such an awesome album. It's an absolute BM classic. I especially like the insane epic drums as well as the totally non-standard vocals.
03.05.2014 - 18:47
Rating: 10
Sword_Chant

Imo, it's THE best Nordic Black Metal album of all time - alongside that Icelandic band Potentiam, their first album Balsyn is just as good but a bit more of a hidden gem.
29.10.2014 - 15:49
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 13.05.2011 at 21:02

+1
23.01.2015 - 20:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I think the last 2 albums are better than this. But this is still great music.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
17.06.2015 - 06:40
Timmeh
Dudeman
Fuuunneerrraaaal Fog!
19.06.2018 - 00:24
Fucking Masterpiece!
04.01.2019 - 16:12
Maasai Mara

Ah, we were so close to having a Notorious B.I.G vs Pac situation here, two talented fools dying because of music.
This album could have been a 10 if Euronymous had fought back and killed Varg and both ended up dead.

Damn, the vocal performance by Atilla is second only to what Hat does on Pentagram. Spooky and damn fitting to this record. That bark on funeeerraaal fog! is damn epic. This album is an 8 but i give it an extra point for Euronymous telling the Darkthrone guys that A Soulside Journey was pussy plastic mainstream music that only fags liked. Thank you Euronymous for Transilvanian Hunger.

Euronymous is a talented motherfucker and the riffs on this album create one of the best atmospheres.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
17.01.2019 - 13:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Legendary album, but in early archaic church burning BM bands has nothing to worship it. Todays BM is much better, I cant deny roots, but I didnt like it in 20's now I dislike it even more, Fen, Immortal, Wolchant, and so many other bands are much better in all.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 29977 | This month: 102