Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2009 Results

The voting is now closed and we'd like to thank all voters who participated. This year we had 10 categories breaking the 1000 votes mark, pretty awesome!

Results can be found here!

OK, enjoy browsing the results, and remember that they are the product of public voting, so that you know who to blame. Just making sure...

Feel free to discuss the outcome in this thread.
Posted: 02.03.2010 by Ivan

Comments page 5 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 149   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 966 users
03.03.2010 - 14:37
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by VPeter on 03.03.2010 at 02:10

That is the problem my best man, I didn't compare my self to George Carlin but you guys jumped to that conclusion. Oh hell no is my ego that big that I compare myself to master Carlin. I meant in this case his typical personality that everybody has a piece of but never dares to show it, that personality of saying directly from the mind, honest and hard. Like everybody at least had someone in their life who they hated and so badly wanted to scold at but couldn't or else shit would have hit the fan badly. Carlin said it directly in the face, the infamous MGM Grand Hotel Las Vegas show where he kept insulting the audience for example.

I just meant with that I posted that rant in that same way as that I don't care and felt doing it from the top of my head then. Needed to get that out of my system.
If people find it funny then hey cool and actually I did get messages last year that some people enjoyed it and if I piss some BAAAAWWWWWWing staffers off who just bitch as much as the people at the results and say that i'm not funny then I also find it a success.

that hypocrisy comment was actually targeted in a different way but aw forget it. My apologies Mr.Thryce I should have called you an asshole instead, didn't saw the disclaimer.

Great story dude! Especially the part where you say you piss the staff off with your bitch-rants. You really believe that? We've been doing this for too many years now to still lie awake over the results; and to be seriously upset about some guy's bitch-rant.
The Awards are organized for two main reasons:

1) To give some exposure to the lesser known bands who succeeded in amazing us more than the albums of the big bands (which is often not that hard). And to introduce people to new bands they otherwise wouldn't check out. Those two are the real winners here.
    2) Because we think the Awards are fun. Not in the least because we piss off people - like you - with other opinions and/or sandy vaginas (and not the other way round).

Which brings me to my final point. Bitch-rants like yours don't piss us off, they amuse us. Certainly when you keep defending them as clever, of the top of your head ramblings, a la George Carlin.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
03.03.2010 - 18:52
VPeter

Written by Thryce on 03.03.2010 at 14:37

Written by VPeter on 03.03.2010 at 02:10

That is the problem my best man, I didn't compare my self to George Carlin but you guys jumped to that conclusion. Oh hell no is my ego that big that I compare myself to master Carlin. I meant in this case his typical personality that everybody has a piece of but never dares to show it, that personality of saying directly from the mind, honest and hard. Like everybody at least had someone in their life who they hated and so badly wanted to scold at but couldn't or else shit would have hit the fan badly. Carlin said it directly in the face, the infamous MGM Grand Hotel Las Vegas show where he kept insulting the audience for example.

I just meant with that I posted that rant in that same way as that I don't care and felt doing it from the top of my head then. Needed to get that out of my system.
If people find it funny then hey cool and actually I did get messages last year that some people enjoyed it and if I piss some BAAAAWWWWWWing staffers off who just bitch as much as the people at the results and say that i'm not funny then I also find it a success.

that hypocrisy comment was actually targeted in a different way but aw forget it. My apologies Mr.Thryce I should have called you an asshole instead, didn't saw the disclaimer.

Great story dude! Especially the part where you say you piss the staff off with your bitch-rants. You really believe that? We've been doing this for too many years now to still lie awake over the results; and to be seriously upset about some guy's bitch-rant.
The Awards are organized for two main reasons:

1) To give some exposure to the lesser known bands who succeeded in amazing us more than the albums of the big bands (which is often not that hard). And to introduce people to new bands they otherwise wouldn't check out. Those two are the real winners here.
    2) Because we think the Awards are fun. Not in the least because we piss off people - like you - with other opinions and/or sandy vaginas (and not the other way round).

Which brings me to my final point. Bitch-rants like yours don't piss us off, they amuse us. Certainly when you keep defending them as clever, of the top of your head ramblings, a la George Carlin.

yep just keep telling it to yourself
03.03.2010 - 18:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I think if anything we are not mollified by your taste in music (you're just one of thousands of others), your rants (we do so enjoy rants - that is the payoff for our hard work), but that awful comparison to carlin.

i still cannot get over it, despite your awkward explanation.

as someone who has listened to carlin probably since before you were born, i just find that both infuriating and laughably hysterical. it's like me comparing my guitar playing (i suck) to Trey Azagthoth.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.03.2010 - 18:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@Petur, sorry to say, but you ARE a whiny bitch who provides the staff with loads of chuckles.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2010 - 22:45
VPeter

Whatever :
03.03.2010 - 22:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Let's just drop this ok? It's all very unnecessary.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.03.2010 - 23:12
Elio
Red Nightmare
Staff is supposed to give the good example right? Well done Lucas.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.03.2010 - 00:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 22:49

Thank god DT beat Kalisia, for Dt was vastly superior to them

No way, Kalisia is worthy a 4-5, but DT is worthy a fucking 1

Riverside should have won, followed by Devin the man Townsend.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.03.2010 - 00:07
pazis

I was hoping that Obscura would beat all the others on Death. (
04.03.2010 - 09:14
ImNotMetal

Last year was the year of thrash metal, where famous thrash metal bands release new album,
04.03.2010 - 19:37
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Ensiferum won the Folk award, uh??? SOOO surprising... Arkona would have crushed the opposition if Ensiferum wasn't so overrated. Anyway...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.03.2010 - 04:03
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by MétalNoir on 04.03.2010 at 19:37

Ensiferum won the Folk award, uh??? SOOO surprising... Arkona would have crushed the opposition if Ensiferum wasn't so overrated. Anyway...

Yeah, Ensiferum last album was kinda boring, there was only one good song, "Twilight Tavern" the rest of the album was mmm well, meh...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.03.2010 - 18:58
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Daggon on 05.03.2010 at 04:03

Yeah, Ensiferum last album was kinda boring, there was only one good song, "Twilight Tavern" the rest of the album was mmm well, meh...

I do like From Afar, but Goi, Rode, Goi is much more varied and experimental, Arkona obviously worked much harder on their album than Ensiferum did... Myself, I think "Heathen Throne" is the best track off Ensiferum's last album, but that's just a matter of taste.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.03.2010 - 21:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well...out of what i have heard, Ensiferum WAS the best folk metal album of 2009...and i dare to claim i have heard many things in exactly this category
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.03.2010 - 22:43
Ragana
Rawrcat
I guess I'm doing it upside down. I wait for the results and only then check out the bands. This year I voted only once and that album won, hahah.

Anyway, I don't like the name "Epica" next to the number 1. What am I talking, I don't like Epica at all. Delain's "April Rain" was really good enough to be the 1st (it's just it was too catchy, I guess)... And poor, poor Leaves' Eyes... Funny.

The newest Immortal's album is unknown to me. From others I liked Vreid and Shining, of course but, I guess, that's not even close to an objective evaluation.

Everything's clear with Candlemass. Nice album, pretty popular as well. Dunno if it's the best, though.

About others I'm quite neutral - don't care or there's just nothing to say.
05.03.2010 - 23:51
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 02.03.2010 at 10:55

Actually, I agree with this. DT's album was better then Kalisia's album and Riverside's album was better than DT's album and Kalisia's album. Not to mention Redemption, which I thought didn't even put up a fight because their album was just "good" in my opinion.

Funny you didn't mention Dev's album. I really think he should have won. Prog goodness in a candy-coated wrapper with out sounding pretentious (like most prog) or derivative (like most happy-poppy music). For me, I thought Dev > DT > Kalisia > Riverside
06.03.2010 - 20:30
ROMIL

This is always a bittersweet time of year for me...sweet because of all the new music I discover through these awards. Bitter because of how long it takes me to go through all the albums I have not heard yet, which is probably about 75% of them. I generally finish a few months prior to the following year's awards, so it's a never-ending cycle. Good stuff though...
07.03.2010 - 05:33
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by ROMIL on 06.03.2010 at 20:30

This is always a bittersweet time of year for me...sweet because of all the new music I discover through these awards. Bitter because of how long it takes me to go through all the albums I have not heard yet, which is probably about 75% of them. I generally finish a few months prior to the following year's awards, so it's a never-ending cycle. Good stuff though...

Cool story bro. Same here. This year I stopped halfway through and just stopped.
09.03.2010 - 09:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I'm happy with this year's outcome. For the Grind category I voted agorapocalypse, but on second thought ND deserved it more. Far as the staff picks go, good job with the Thrash Category.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.03.2010 - 13:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Elio on 04.03.2010 at 00:00

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 22:49

Thank god DT beat Kalisia, for Dt was vastly superior to them

No way, Kalisia is worthy a 4-5, but DT is worthy a fucking 1

Riverside should have won, followed by Devin the man Townsend.
can't agree more (I won't mind if either Riverside or Devin won), so boo for the public opinion and staff choice in Prog

I agree with most of the staff choice other than Alternative (but Mastodon winning is to be expected anyway, so I won't moan about it), Hard Rock, Power and Thrash.
Hardrock: Hardcore Superstar is good actually, but it sounded too easy to me and got old really quickly whereas The Devil's Blood didn't
Power: "The Days Of Greys" is not bad, I actually liked their change in musical direction, but it just lacked some real hits
Thrash: Warbringer wth!? That was the weakest nomination among the Thrash category with the exception of Megadeth
----
loves 小巫
09.03.2010 - 15:58
IronAngel

I'm baffled by how few votes Jesu's Opiate Sun got. It's possibly their best work to date. And it certainly beats the likes of Isis and Solstafír hands down. It's a bit silly that Diablo Swing Orchestra was in the same category, but alas.
11.03.2010 - 21:40
Dark Doom

Marduk wormwood must be in the list of black metal , the list of BM was poor
19.03.2010 - 01:32
pdepmcp

Written by bloodwrage on 07.03.2010 at 05:33

Written by ROMIL on 06.03.2010 at 20:30

Cool story bro. Same here. This year I stopped halfway through and just stopped.

Same here too
This year I got a complete overview of the post-something/avantgarde category only, and some ideas regarding other 4-5 categories.
Too bad none of the records I voted won its category. It's the story of a life, always side by side with minorities.
I started digging the rest when nominations came out, I'll probably end in 6 months...what an hard work!
30.03.2010 - 17:15
kabaL

There are a lot of categories where the winner is the most popular band, but not the best release... I'm kinda dissapointed.

The Atmospheric/Symphonic I voted for Epica, their new album is awesome. But I don't like to see the average album of Sirenia over the good releases of Delain, Whyzdom, Leaves' Eyes and Stream of Passion.

The doom metal award was for Process of Guilt, please... listen that album, it's a kickass release!! Candlemass is a very popular band, their albums use to be good, but Process of Guilt are better than them IMO.

The same with the Extreme doom metal award, I voted for Arcana Coelestia.

The gothic metal award is one of my big dissapointments, Katatonia's release was one of the weakest nominees. I voted for Trail of Tears, also I liked Darzamat and Theatre of Tragedy. And Elis is closer to the Atmospheric/Symphonic category than gothic IMO.

In power metal, I just can't like Sonata Arctica xD

And... progressive metal category is my other big dissapointment. I voted for the great album of Redemption. Also the Riverside release is awesome. Dream Theater won just because of their big fanbase, their album isn't that good.
30.03.2010 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by kabaL on 30.03.2010 at 17:15

The doom metal award was for Process of Guilt, please... listen that album, it's a kickass release!! Candlemass is a very popular band, their albums use to be good, but Process of Guilt are better than them IMO.

Guess what the staff pick was?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2010 - 09:05
moonsorrow1992

:thankyou:
01.04.2010 - 10:07
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by moonsorrow1992 on 01.04.2010 at 09:05

:thankyou:

You're welcome
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
22.07.2010 - 13:18
cuzzo820

i like the albums and bands they chose all though megadeth surprised me the most
22.07.2010 - 14:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I like both Arkona as well as Ensiferum, but i would simply prefer From Afar before Goi, Rode, Goi anytime...whats more - there are 8 folk metal albums in my "top 15 of 2009" list a Ensiferum stands highest because i really adore at least half of the tracks
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 13909 | This month: 7