Thomas Youngblood - Guitars
Sean Tibbetts - Bass
Casey Grillo - Drums
Oliver Palotai - Keyboards

Guest members:
Björn "Speed" Strid - Vocals on "The Great Pandemonium"
Jon Oliva - Vocals on "The Zodiac"
Gus G. - Guitars on "Hunter's Season"
Simone Simons - Vocals on "House On A Hill", "Poetry For The Poisoned" II and III
Amanda Somerville - Vocals on "The Zodiac", Choir on "Poetry For The Poisoned" I-IV
Chanty Wunder - Vocals on "Where The Wild Roses Grow"
Cloudy Yang - Backing Vocals
Sascha Paeth - Additional Guitars
Miro - Additional Keyboards and Orchestration

This is the first Kamelot album not to feature Glenn Barry, and the first to feature original bassist Sean Tibbets.

Release dates:
Japan - September 1st (via Marquee/Avalon)
Europe - September 10th (via earMusic/Edel Music)
North America - September 14th (via KMG Recordings)

Recorded at the the Gate Studio, Wolfsburg, Germany, in 2009/2010. Produced by Sascha Paeth and Miro. Additional tracking took place in Tampa, Florida, as well as various studios in Sweden, Greece and USA.

The artwork was created by many artists, including Spiros "Seth" Antoniou, Natalie Shau and Michal Loranc.

Available in four versions:
- Regular CD edition
- Digipak CD with bonus DVD
- Digibook CD with bonus DVD
- Two-LP gatefold vinyl edition

Bonus DVD material:
- "The Great Pandemonium" (video)
- Exclusive and in-depth interviews with each Kamelot member
- "Pick and Play" for the song "The Great Pandemonium"
- "Poetry for the Poisoned" background images
- Exclusive video footage from Norway Rock Festival 2010
- Bonus song "House On A Hill" (uncut version) (05:00)

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Kamelot, at least in my eyes, has always been a band that sought their own path through the world of metal. The most fitting description of their sound is, no matter how I hate to admit it, power metal. Not the cheesiest, happiest German type, but power metal nevertheless. What made it more distinguished than most of the other power bands were Thomas Youngblood's distinctive guitar style, clever use of keyboards and orchestrations, and, above everything else, Roy Khan's vocals - so unlike any other metal singer, so non-metal so to speak. These three essential elements carried Kamelot's music through almost 20 years of their career, which has been on the rise all that time. Being quite a prolific band, they managed to deliver 9 full length releases, whose quality was constantly satisfactory, with occasional hints at excellence (Epica, Ghost Opera). Some progressive and symphonic elements crept into Kamelot's music in the meantime, making it richer, more textured and ambitious.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2010 | Comments (146)

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Brilliant. This cd will probably be totally misinterpreted by many, but after listening to it enough it finally dawned on me that Poetry for the Poisoned is just an evolutionary step of Kamelot's musical genius. It's nice to see this band evolving and growing from their power metal roots into something which appeals more to the musically inclined as opposed to serving up the same driving beats and power chords cd after cd. Welcome to the world of progressive metal.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (22)

Guest review by
Pazu
Rating:
Three long years fans had to wait for an all new full-length studio album, and here it finally is. So what's the deal on Poetry For The Poisoned? In a word - great, although not as great as expected. Kamelot is one of those bands that kept improving from album to album until they reached their zenith with the incredible The Black Halo. The following release was a letdown for many fans, because of new influences on the band's sound. If you are one of those fans, then better pass on this record, since it's one step further along the same road. If you however, like me, loved Ghost Opera, definately give this one a try.

Read more ››
published 15.12.2010 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Kais
Rating:
It's been 5 years since Poetry For The Poisoned was released. Five long years in which illustrious Kamelot and Conception vocalist decided to bid farewell to the music industry as a whole, for a higher cause, and it was the first studio appearance of original bassist Sean Tibbetts, after long-time bassist Glenn Berry had left the band.

Read more ››
published 28.06.2015 | Comments (7)

Found in 24 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 4

Comments: 115   Visited by: 1437 users
28.12.2010 - 18:56
Rating: 10
Kropy

Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Melody: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10
CD Covers: 10

Best Songs:
01. The Great Pandemonium
05. Hunter's Season
06. House On A Hill
10. Poetry For The Poisoned
13. Thespian Drama

Interesting Comments:
Itoc
Vikcen
Farbsryche
28.12.2010 - 19:23
Rating: 7
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Kropy on 28.12.2010 at 18:56

Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Melody: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10
CD Covers: 10

Best Songs:
01. The Great Pandemonium
05. Hunter's Season
06. House On A Hill
10. Poetry For The Poisoned
13. Thespian Drama

Interesting Comments:
Itoc
Vikcen
Farbsryche

Thanks boss =)
29.12.2010 - 12:24
proud_nomad

Much better than "Ghost Opera" but Karma is still FAR away!
23.01.2011 - 19:45
Rating: 6
ChrisWinther

Boring as hell
03.03.2011 - 17:25
Rating: 8
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
This album sounds like it came from Evergrey. This is a complement by the way =P
----
13.03.2011 - 15:13
Destructo

Oh god !!! 3 different reviews and 3 different ratings. Hmmm......well, time to give my own opinion, I guess. A definite improvement from Ghost Opera. But there doesn't seem to be any "standout" track anywhere on the album. Except "Great Pnademonium, the other songs just kinda flow along. Guess I need to give this one a few more spins. But on first impressions alone, this is a huge improvement from the last one.
24.05.2011 - 21:19
The Norseman

Written by Irritable Ted on 13.05.2011 at 17:01

A new version with live tracks, months after the original release. It pisses me off so much that record companies do this to the fans.
The loyal fan will buy it on the release day, but that will be the crappest version. Are we expected to buy both? You can fuck right off. No wonder people are illegally down loading albums.

So very true m8. Until they start to respect the fans and make their money worth, it'll just get worst and worst. Dinosaurs will die...
20.06.2011 - 23:26
Rating: 9
godisdead

Amazing album.
19.07.2011 - 13:55
drdml

The bonus track of the japan edition is the best song of this album.
The Great Pandemonium is good
the others..........:sleep:
19.07.2011 - 14:11
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Many months after I reviewed it, I haven't changed my mind. This album is deeply average, with one really good track "The Great Pandemonium". Some extremely kitsch lyrics are so bad, that I still remember some of them: "cry me a river"... Seriously, fuck me sideways with "such poetry". No wonder Roy Khan was fed up with this band after this album
14.08.2011 - 17:15
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 19.07.2011 at 14:11

Many months after I reviewed it, I haven't changed my mind. This album is deeply average, with one really good track "The Great Pandemonium".

I don't think I will ever understand why people like "The Great Pandemonium". It is a boring song with a very unimaginative melody and some harsh vocals thrown in to create a resemblance to "March Of Mephisto". All they achieved with that, was shine a big bright light on how Pandemonium failed to reach that level of quality.

Written by Daniell on 19.07.2011 at 14:11

No wonder Roy Khan was fed up with this band after this album

Khan used to co-write the songs though, it's not like as if he was just singing the songs that Thomas wrote for him. I guess they both must have lost their source of inspiration shortly after The Black Halo, even though some songs on Ghost Opera were really good. The only part of PFTP that didn't bore me was the last minute of the title track.
16.08.2011 - 10:02
moribun

Yet another amazing album of Kamelot, but sadly it's the last one in which we could hear Khan's voice...
05.11.2012 - 02:00
AndMetalForAll
kual21
I also think is weaker than The Ghost Opera or Black Halo. Weaker both in performance and concept..
----
greets,
kual21
08.11.2012 - 18:53
Rating: 4
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I have the 7" vinyl signed by the band if anyone wants to buy that from me or trade something for it.
It's still in the plastic and has never been played.
09.11.2012 - 00:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 08.11.2012 at 18:53

I have the 7" vinyl signed by the band if anyone wants to buy that from me or trade something for it.

...So you didn't like it? Just guessing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.11.2012 - 00:43
Rating: 4
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.11.2012 at 00:39

Written by Alex F on 08.11.2012 at 18:53

...So you didn't like it? Just guessing.

Nope. I'm not trying to dog on the band, just figured someone else would much prefer having this than I would
08.02.2013 - 17:01
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
This album is not bad but somehow every time I listen to it it fails to impress me. I think "uninspired" is the right word for this album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
22.03.2013 - 19:34
Windir

Written by drdml on 19.07.2011 at 13:55

The bonus track of the japan edition is the best song of this album.
The Great Pandemonium is good
the others..........:sleep:

Absolutely agree! I just bought the album, and is ok, but the japanese bonus is the best track... F***!!!!
26.03.2013 - 12:36
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Mediocre album, with some Ok songs (The Great Pandemonium, Hunter's Season, Poetry For The Poisoned), and many bad ones. Their worst album with Roy for sure.
27.06.2013 - 11:53
CWA

Though not their best album, I love it when bands take a risk and try something new instead of constantly pandering to the demanding fans. I only found track 4,7 and 8 underwhelming and a bit stale, but not bad. "Dear Editor" on the other hand was the worst dialogue I've ever heard. I would still recommend this album to all symphonic/power metal fans.
09.03.2014 - 23:59
ohmayhem

I can't say I *hate* a Khan-era Kamelot album but...
26.01.2017 - 18:48
Constantine

Wonderful piece.
13.05.2017 - 19:59
Swifthom

A let down for me, made even more sad by fact it was Khan's last. Its not bad, and has some good songs, but it doesnt feel different enough to GO, present enough original ideas and has a fair few duds amongst the hits. Weakest Kamelot release since before Karma for certain.
04.10.2017 - 13:09
frequenzangriff

Not their best, but really interesting and with several great songs. And awesome that they tried something new, instead of rehashing the old formula over amd over again as so many bans do.
28.09.2022 - 13:38
Now this album is the only one that actually stood out for me while making a Kamelot discography run, and that alone makes it appealing. It's darker, and that's a breath of fresh air. For someone who's not a fan of Kamelot, it was a pleasant and nice listening. Personally, my favorite album is either this or The Black Halo.
(completely unrelated to the music, but the two covers I've seen for this album are finally good)

Hits total: 45676 | This month: 62