Metal Storm logo
New feature: Top lists

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 02.03.2010 - 09:51
A happy day many of you dreamed about has come! Any registered user can now create their own kick-ass looking lists... of anything. I decided not to limit them to albums only, so it can be anything, as long as it's metal-related. If you're now dying to have a look, here are some examples.

The lists will be mostly for private use (like Collections), but you can show them to your friends and you can 'thumb-up' other people's lists. The lists will appear in user profiles and on album pages (relevant ones). There's also a link in the Albums section submenu. To create your own list, go to the index page or an individual list page and click the 'Create a list!' link in the upper right corner.

Please make sure you read the instructions, there are a few useful examples at the bottom of the Add list page.
By the way, some people asked for a list of bands you've seen live - this new feature can be used for that as well! The only limitation is 50 entries, but it can be split into several lists.

Another way to create a list is to select albums in your Collection, then click a 'Create a list' button below. This way you can easily filter your Collection by year, style or band and create a list with a lot less effort.

Have fun!

P.S. The new notification for friends' publications will work for lists too, and can be disabled in the same way. More about it here.
05.03.2010 - 10:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 05.03.2010 at 02:35

Written by Guest on 04.03.2010 at 22:29

Oooh nice implementation...bit conceited, but I guess everyone on this site is somewhat arrogant

It's not like it's posted on the front page or anything, it's on your profile page, which should be about you anyways. Besides, there are a few users whom I'm interested in seeing some lists from. Dangerboner has a few good ones.

lol I know dude i was just messing, its a cool feature Im wracking my brains over here for my first list
05.03.2010 - 13:24
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Added a new way to create a list - group and select albums in your Collection, then click 'Create a list' below. This way you can easily filter your Collection by year, style or band and create a list with a lot less effort.
05.03.2010 - 19:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ivan is in metalstorm overdrive. love the easy import.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2010 - 12:51
DayFly
Just as a matter of curiosity, is anyone here actually bothering to check on those lists? The idea is great but since the place is so glutted with them (including some really inane ones like best Metallica/Opeth/Dragonforce albums; what are the ratings for), couldn't you limit the amount of published lists in some way? For instance everybody only gets one list in a fixed amount of time as per month (maybe from now on, no need to actually delete a list), except for staff and elite.
07.03.2010 - 12:59
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by DayFly on 07.03.2010 at 12:51

Just as a matter of curiosity, is anyone here actually bothering to check on those lists? The idea is great but since the place is so glutted with them (including some really inane ones like best Metallica/Opeth/Dragonforce albums; what are the ratings for), couldn't you limit the amout of published lists in some way? For instance everybody only gets one list in a fixed amount of time as per month (maybe from now on, no need to actually delete a list), except for staff and elite.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!
07.03.2010 - 13:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont think so...i personally understand "top lists" as another form of album rating...and would you like to have number of your album votes limited monthly?

this is only about people being reasonable
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.03.2010 - 13:21
DayFly
There is a difference, at least for me. Rating an album is something personal, publishing a list is not.
07.03.2010 - 13:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well...your rating is visible to public too...
----

07.03.2010 - 13:37
DayFly
So? Why compile a list, if you do not care for other people to read it? On the other hand you do not rate an album to any one's benefit but your own (at least you shouldn't, people who do are usually petty down- and up-voters). I can't believe people going through profiles just to look up their ratings as they are not explained or in any way informative but a list can provide just that (if done properly).
07.03.2010 - 14:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In your "top list" would probably be albums you gave high personal rating...
----

07.03.2010 - 14:27
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
The problem is just that there are way too many lists, I think it's not the goal to have some thousand lists here and no one cares for them because there are too many
07.03.2010 - 20:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by DayFly on 07.03.2010 at 12:51

Just as a matter of curiosity, is anyone here actually bothering to check on those lists? The idea is great but since the place is so glutted with them (including some really inane ones like best Metallica/Opeth/Dragonforce albums; what are the ratings for), couldn't you limit the amount of published lists in some way? For instance everybody only gets one list in a fixed amount of time as per month (maybe from now on, no need to actually delete a list), except for staff and elite.

for the most part, no. tons upon tons of useless lists.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.03.2010 - 11:59
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
OK, since the Lists are a semi-public feature, in the interests of keeping the quality standards above the absolute zero, I added a new limitation that only allows you to post one list per week. Sorry.

That should give you a whole week to really think your next list through, though
09.03.2010 - 18:42
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Written by Ivan on 08.03.2010 at 11:59

OK, since the Lists are a semi-public feature, in the interests of keeping the quality standards above the absolute zero, I added a new limitation that only allows you to post one list per week. Sorry.

That should give you a whole week to really think your next list through, though

Haha nice trick - but nothing will stop the chaotic lists & eventually they''ll cram lots of pages! Fortunately they're shown at the profiles & this is nice. Something like a personal agenda. After a long time only from the profiles these lists will be usefull (for others to see)

Great, user friendly ideas...wonder what else lies ahead
----
\m/etalstor\m/
09.03.2010 - 18:47
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by treptolemus on 09.03.2010 at 18:42

Great, user friendly ideas...wonder what else lies ahead

Something that will blow your socks right off. Might still have to wait a month or two for this one though.
28.03.2010 - 19:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't wait!
----
24.01.2011 - 15:11
Metalstorm is not planning MS AWARDS for 2010? I havent seen anything like this yet.
24.01.2011 - 17:01
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
There was a nomination thread. I'm sure that the 2010 awards will start by the end of January,

EDIT: And to prove that, here's what I found:

----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
29.01.2011 - 21:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The awards ALWAYS start Feb 1. not sure what the MSAs have to do with lists, unless someone is trying to create a list of their favorite MSAs.
----