+ Digital Booklet

Additional info
Download only.

Comments

Comments: 13   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 197 users
03.03.2010 - 09:14
Rating: 7
INÆRIS

We know that the only two bands that really matter on this are Dream Theater and Opeth. Opeth are....beyond....anything I've ever heard. No matter what they sound absolutely original and fresh. The Throat of Winter is probably the weirdest song they've ever done. It is such an oddball track! It feels like Akerfeldt is playing around a lot with ideas, and it really shows. The song is a masterpiece in my books. The rest of this EP is pretty mediocre although the Dream Theater track is great. I give it a perfect 10 because of Opeth. They never disappoint.
----
Still Life, Still Death
03.03.2010 - 09:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Wow, what a shitty soundtrack. Opeth is ok, but the rest is just a mixture of disgust and boredom.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.03.2010 - 11:09
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by INÆRIS on 03.03.2010 at 09:14
We know that the only two bands that really matter on this are Dream Theater and Opeth. Opeth are....beyond....anything I've ever heard. No matter what they sound absolutely original and fresh. The Throat of Winter is probably the weirdest song they've ever done. It is such an oddball track! It feels like Akerfeldt is playing around a lot with ideas, and it really shows. The song is a masterpiece in my books. The rest of this EP is pretty mediocre although the Dream Theater track is great. I give it a perfect 10 because of Opeth. They never disappoint.
Are you freaking serious? A 10, "perfect" is supposed to signify that improving on the album would be extremely difficult. Obviously this release could be much better if the 4 or 5 other songs were replaced with something else. Have you read the FAQ - Rules and policies recently?

When voting for an album, remember your vote must be fair and not influenced by what other voters have done before you. Please give realistic ratings and remember a 10 means the album is a masterpiece, an album that changed the way we listen to music nowadays.

I'm sure this absolutely changed the universe for your ears... people like you are what nullify the hard work put into the site by its staff
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.03.2010 - 06:52
INÆRIS

Written by Syk on 03.03.2010 at 11:09

Written by INÆRIS on 03.03.2010 at 09:14
Are you freaking serious? A 10, "perfect" is supposed to signify that improving on the album would be extremely difficult. Obviously this release could be much better if the 4 or 5 other songs were replaced with something else. Have you read the FAQ - Rules and policies recently?

When voting for an album, remember your vote must be fair and not influenced by what other voters have done before you. Please give realistic ratings and remember a 10 means the album is a masterpiece, an album that changed the way we listen to music nowadays.

I'm sure this absolutely changed the universe for your ears... people like you are what nullify the hard work put into the site by its staff

It did change the universe for my ears, thank you. This is a breakthrough song for Opeth and it should be recognized. I absolutely love it. If I think something is one of the best things I've heard in a long time, why can't I rate it accordingly? I wouldn't bash any album you think deserves a 10 because I disagree. This record deserves a 10 to me because the one song is powerful enough to override the rest. We all have our opinions and I want to get along with everyone, so I apologize for causing you to react negatively toward me. I just want to be entitled to my own opinion, and I truly respect yours.
----
Still Life, Still Death
04.03.2010 - 08:18
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Dream Theatershuggah... that's all I thought when I heard their track, enjoyed the second half of that one. New Opeth is always a treat, their track was interesting but seemed like it was missing... something. Was this a leftover track from Watershed?
04.03.2010 - 09:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Syk, you already gave 32 ratings of 10...it is true, that in your case it is only 5% of votes, but would you tell me 5 albums out of 100 are "changing the way we listen to music nowadays"?

if you are so much insisting on rules...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.03.2010 - 11:21
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ellrohir on 04.03.2010 at 09:41
Syk, you already gave 32 ratings of 10...it is true, that in your case it is only 5% of votes, but would you tell me 5 albums out of 100 are "changing the way we listen to music nowadays"?

if you are so much insisting on rules...
About five albums out of 100 being "masterpiece"s, yes. I just think it's utterly ridiculous to say "ooh, I really like two out of six songs on this release, so it deserves a 10!" or to think that all works by a favourite artist have to get the maximum rating... Maybe it's just because I still listen to full albums in their entirety in the track order chosen by the artist... I guess I can live with Opeth888's style if those people are mostly using digital unnatural selection. Still... it's annoying as these consistent 10s all over the place, mathematically speaking, make less extreme ratings essentially worthless when the piece's average rating is calculated. It tends to keep the most popular, not the best, constantly in our sight and pushes everything else to perpetual obscurity. Lesser-known masters of their art get a raw deal
(as do all of us who can't find and experience them so easily)

This might be quite off-topic but I'll add that the similar bands feature here needlessly suffers from the same problem. We can only see seven at a time, the seven with the most votes, and for some reason people keep bumping up popular bands that are already on top e.g. 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 until we have the bands that everybody knows about filling the section with votes in the teens, 20s, 30s or higher, and the bands that are less popular but probably more similar, which people would actually want to find out about, are still buried at the bottom, uselessly out of sight, with 1-2 votes. (e.g. Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, Black Sabbath) If people thought more carefully about their numbers I'm sure everyone would have a much better metal time
----

05.03.2010 - 17:54
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ellrohir on 04.03.2010 at 09:41
Actually I'd like to add that my most eccentric music teacher shared a good quote with me some years back. Along the lines of, out of all music, 5% at the top is good, 5% at the bottom is bad, and the other 90% is just average - and you should only listen to the outside 10%. I don't completely agree (surely one should listen to more good music than bad) but it's a concept that's not entirely without merit
----

05.03.2010 - 17:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lol...now your 5% of 10 ratings seems fair

i checked i gave 14% (5 out of 35) of "ultimate" ratings so far, but i guess it is because i am rating only albums i physically own and i am rather concentrating on buying albums i like, because the offer is almost unlimited nowadays, but my wallet is not
----

07.03.2010 - 01:16
cj246

The artists do not execute their full potential in their contribution to the album. It does not flow well and not all songs are appropriate to the video game. Here's my full review:

http://thegoldenbird.wordp...d-metal-review/
----
http://thegoldenbird.wordpress.com/
07.03.2010 - 01:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You need to contribute full link here in order someone should read it...i wont be trying to decipher, what stands for "..." there
----

08.03.2010 - 03:37
DIO Is God
Account deleted
The new Trivium song on here was sweet. idk why everybody dogs on them.
12.03.2010 - 06:49
INÆRIS

Written by Introspekrieg on 04.03.2010 at 08:18

Dream Theatershuggah... that's all I thought when I heard their track, enjoyed the second half of that one. New Opeth is always a treat, their track was interesting but seemed like it was missing... something. Was this a leftover track from Watershed?

It's missing...drums! hehe. I think it's interesting that they don't use a drum set. I love this song so much though. It's a great combo of superb melody, musicianship, and weirdness. I'm really curious to see what Akerfeldt will come up with next.
----
Still Life, Still Death

Hits total: 14679 | This month: 35