Metal Storm logo
Recommend me a good TBS (Turn Based Startegy)

17.05.2006 - 16:42
Damnated
Churchburner
So, what can you say? I have Civ III, Civ IV and Rome: Total War, so don't say these, but if you do say anything, pls don't post something ancient...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.04.2007 - 02:33
APOHAKC
The Bard
Crusader Kings and Knights Of Honour, great games..
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
18.04.2007 - 12:36
Zombie, M.D.

If you like the Civ series try Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri. In short its basically Civ on an alien planet. Pretty entertaining, but I think I tend to have the most fun playing strategy games on a map of the Earth. I would mention the Fallout series, Im not sure if they would interest you as much though. Theyre more of a turn based strategy rpg.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
18.04.2007 - 14:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
how about medieval total war(didn't play 2, but the first one was great), heroes 4(didn't play 5)
also you might try cossacks, the newer versions are TBS in the "state" screen and realtime in battle(haven't played it though), just like medieval total war
18.04.2007 - 16:10
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Written by APOHAKC on 11.04.2007 at 02:33

Crusader Kings is a great game if you know how to play it - but I think Europa Universalis II is still better.
18.04.2007 - 16:36
Damnated
Churchburner
thanx for the recommendations guys, and although i don't really play anymore, i will check these out.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.04.2007 - 17:17
Raiden
Down Under Staff
I can't even get Civ IV to work on my computer. It gets halfway through loading, mentions something about direct x, then dies :-\

I still think the best turn based game ever is the Worms series But I recently acquired Heroes Of Might And Magic V, so I'll check that out when I can.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
18.04.2007 - 18:10
Pinusar
Account deleted
I reccommend Heroes of Might and Magic 3, its better than the following ones in my opinion. It's more traditional, I like the monster designs and castles more there.

I've also heard that Age of Wonders is supposed to be a very good TBS but I havent played it.

Not sure if you consider these ancient but I don't.

I sometimes play Hearts of Iron 2, based mostly on 2nd WW, although I don't like it as much as Rome or Heroes.
18.04.2007 - 18:21
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I used to play Age of Wonders I a lot - very good game. I have also played Age of Wonders II, but somehow I got bored of it pretty soon (maybe because I had already started playing games less and less) - of course the graphic is way better than on AoW I.
18.04.2007 - 18:50
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.04.2007 at 18:10

I reccommend Heroes of Might and Magic 3, its better than the following ones in my opinion. It's more traditional, I like the monster designs and castles more there.

I've also heard that Age of Wonders is supposed to be a very good TBS but I havent played it.

Not sure if you consider these ancient but I don't.

I sometimes play Hearts of Iron 2, based mostly on 2nd WW, although I don't like it as much as Rome or Heroes.

Heroes III is not ancient! Not if I still play it man! Daaaamn it's great to hear there's another Heroes fan out there!

But anyway, it was the exact game I had in mind, perfect in every way for a turn-based strategy game. Too bad they sold the ownership rights to the series and Ubisoft changed Heroes V into a Warcraft clone.

We should have a game of it some time! PM me please!
19.04.2007 - 21:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by UnholyMenace on 18.04.2007 at 16:10

Written by APOHAKC on 11.04.2007 at 02:33

Crusader Kings is a great game if you know how to play it - but I think Europa Universalis II is still better.

Probably Europa Universalis is better but CK is also very good... And it is little hard to play, but when you find out all things about this game you can enjoy for a very long time lol
----
20.04.2007 - 16:10
rageing atheist
Account deleted
My favorite strategy game has to be the first Age of Wonders, and though you might consider it ancient I seiously reccomend at least trying it, as it is a very unique game, but as noted above AOW II was much more boring ( though the campaign was harder) and imho the first version had cooler graphics also, as I prefer old school videogames graphics to modern overpolished stuff (besides old games at least run on my PC).
20.04.2007 - 16:17
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah man, Age Of Wonders kick ass, I still install it sometimes and play whole day. So many races and potions, different tactics, every race could beat the other, it is great game, who cares for being ancient, I don't give a shit. Age Of Wonders 2 is ok too, especialy The Shadow Magic, it is harder and there have some new units and artifacts. There are plenty of fan campaigns and scenarios on internet so find them out and enjoy, some of them are pretty good, even better than the ones we have in game
----
21.04.2007 - 00:46
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Actually Age of Wonders 2 isn't bad on its own terms, but it lacks the charm and atmosphere of the first one, also the sieges are more boring, I think in AOW 2 several things that made the first part so special were leftout, like decent dungeons, unit descriptions, and so forth, and also I prefer the city development system of the first Age of Wonders.
21.04.2007 - 01:28
UnholyMenace
Psycho
...and the music in AoW II is way better than in the first one.

Has anyone played Europa Universalis III?
21.04.2007 - 05:01
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Imho the AOW 2 music is boring, anyway has anyone played Seven Kingdoms, I remember I was total fan when I was 12 or something like that, also I know it isn't a tbs, but it manages to incorporate elements of Civ series into a real time interface, and it was a true overlooked gem, which could easily kick the seven shades of shit out of Age of Empires.
21.04.2007 - 15:32
APOHAKC
The Bard
I hated sieges in second part, they were so boring and easy.. in the first part are far better.. I like city developments in both parts... Sieges are improved in Shadow MAgic expension pack.. but they are still easy... too easy
About music... well not sure about that one... I liked some themes in both parts
----
21.04.2007 - 19:29
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I don't know if this is exactly what you're asking for, but similar in any case. Have you ever played any of the oldschool warcraft games? I'm not talking about WoW, I'm talking about shit before that, like Warcraft 2-Tides of Darkness. Very good Mass Combat Strategy games.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
22.04.2007 - 01:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I was playing Warcraft 2 campaign recently with orcs, but I'm in a scenario where the game throws me out to the desktop when my units reach certain location, I restarted the scenario, but still experienced the same error, so I'm at the moment unsure whether to restart the campaign with humans or to quit playing it and install AOW again, as I've never completed it in the first place.
23.04.2007 - 16:43
W-Lash
Metal Master
As people said, Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 is highly recommended. Older versions would be really ancient but newer versions suck.
And of course Worms (only 2d) like Worms 2 (only for windows 98), Worms Armageddon, Worms World Party. Don't try any 3d worm versions because i haven't seen any fan of 2d worms that could accept them.

And i have heard lots of good about Hearts Of Iron.

Enjoy!
23.04.2007 - 18:42
APOHAKC
The Bard
Heroes fucking rules, but I doubt there is anyone that never played this game here lol
----
23.04.2007 - 19:50
Damnated
Churchburner
i heard harts of iron was banned in china, can anyone confirm this (i'm too lazy to google it)?

i loved Heroes 1,2,3 and 4. 5 was also good, but it didn't worked smoothly on my pc.
----