09. The Bosphorus Freezes Over

Disc II [limited edition bonus CD]
01. Broadsword [Jethro Tull cover]
02. Supernaut [Black Sabbath cover]
+ The March Of The Varangian Guard [video] [acoustic live version]
+ Stand Up And Fight [video] [acoustic live version]
+ To Holmgard And Beyond [video] [acoustic live version]

Additional info
βένετοι! - πράσινοι! => Venetoi! - Prasinoi! => The Blues! - The Greens!

Release Dates:
Finland/Japan: February 23rd, 2011
Germany/Austria/Switzerland: February 25th, 2011
Europe/UK: February 28th, 2011
Australia/NZ: March 4th, 2011
North America: March 8th, 2011

Stand Up and Fight is available on the following formats:
- CD
- Digital Download (iTunes)
- Digibook CD + Bonus CD (Limited)
- Gatefold LP + Album on CD
- Digibook CD + T-Shirt + Poster (Limited)

Bonus tracks for Japan:
10. Battle Metal (2008 Version)
11. Rasputin
12. Supernaut (Black Sabbath cover) (03:56)
13. Broadsword (05:00)

Limited edtion bonus CD contains the following tracks:
01. Broadsword [Jethro Tull cover] (05:00)
02. Supernaut [Black Sabbath cover] (03:56)

And as video:
03. The March Of The Varangian Guard [Acoustic version]
04. Stand Up And Fight [Acoustic version]
05. To Holmgard And Beyond [Acoustic version]

Digital (iTunes) version of the album comes with a bonus track:
10. Broadsword (05:00)

A video was made for the song Stand Up And Fight.

The title for track 4 is shown in Greek, "âÝíåôïé! - ðñÜóéíïé!" which means "'Blue! - Green!".

Guest review by
PsychoticNK
Rating:
Turisas is a symphonic folk metal band from Finland that incorporates a very visual and battle oriented stage presence. Right off the bat you're probably thinking of one word, and that word is "cheese", and I can't really say that you'd be wrong when you make that accusation. They certainly are very outward with their appearance on stage as well as in their music, and people either seem to love that about a group, or absolutely despise it. A lot of it will probably depend on what you're expecting, and one look at the admittedly silly album cover will most likely give you an idea. It's the same style that they've had their whole discography, only seemingly bloated with more corny-but-catchy Viking ballads and war chants. Again, that is a good point. However, on their latest release, Turisas have managed to craft a surprisingly great symphonic metal record that succeeds in both vigor and charm.

Read more ››
published 18.06.2012 | Comments (1)

I don't really understand why some people are disappointed with this release. Sure, it's a little less aggressive than their previous albums, but I think this (with the help of a stronger focus of symphonic elements in the song writing) gives their music a more whimsical movie/classic RPG soundtrack feel. I mean, if "End Of An Empire" doesn't make you wanna fight (and die) for the glory of your homeland and ancestors, then you may as well drop your mighty battleaxe and banish yourself from the Kingdom of Metal. So sit back, relax, and let Turisas take you on little imaginary adventures with each epic track on Stand Up and Fight!

Fat & Sassy!'s picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Lyrinan, DerRozzengarten, GT

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 944 users
07.03.2011 - 13:34
Rating: 8
Sword_Chant

So far it's not quite as incredible as The Varangian Way but it's still a very nice viking album

'Venetoi! - Prasinoi!!' and 'The Great Escape' are both fucking awesome songs. Feel like i'm on a wild adventure...
09.03.2011 - 03:04
Rating: 7
ruffio

There's parts of this album that really make me cringe because of how blatantly cheesy it is. But Venetoi Prasinoi and The Great Escape were great, so it was hard to rate. Moonsorrow's new album has spoiled me into having extremely high standards for epic metal. I would have rated it a 6, but the songs noted really were awesome.
09.03.2011 - 20:26
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by ruffio on 09.03.2011 at 03:04

There's parts of this album that really make me cringe because of how blatantly cheesy it is.

"Take the Day!" and "Hunting Pirates" are sooooo cheesy.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
12.03.2011 - 15:32
moe5512

I'm a bit disappointed... the album never gets "exciting", it's the same conan the barbarian soundtrack again and again. It's not a bad album but they can do so much better. Take the day is the best track in my opinion, after that I start to lose attention

Written by MétalNoir on 09.03.2011 at 20:26

There's parts of this album that really make me cringe because of how blatantly cheesy it is.

there is no folk/pagan/viking/heathen/whatevaa metal that is not cheesy. Ensiferum is maybe my favorite band but c'mon, they sing about dragons and elves
13.03.2011 - 03:36
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by moe5512 on 12.03.2011 at 15:32

there is no folk/pagan/viking/heathen/whatevaa metal that is not cheesy. Ensiferum is maybe my favorite band but c'mon, they sing about dragons and elves

There are lots of folk metal bands that are not cheesy at all. Dig a little deeper beyond Finntroll and Korpiklaani and you'll find very dark and melancholy folk metal with no happy clappy melodies or clichéd "viking" imagery.
----
13.03.2011 - 11:35
moe5512

Written by MétalNoir on 13.03.2011 at 03:36

Written by moe5512 on 12.03.2011 at 15:32

There are lots of folk metal bands that are not cheesy at all. Dig a little deeper beyond Finntroll and Korpiklaani and you'll find very dark and melancholy folk metal with no happy clappy melodies or clichéd "viking" imagery.

A folk metal band that plays cheerful music is as cheesy as a darker wannabe deep band.... imo
13.03.2011 - 14:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by VPeter on 26.02.2011 at 15:38

The album sounds like a bad 80ties musical, ...

You want to say there are actually good musicals?
I have never come across a good musical unless it's South Park The Movie
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2011 - 18:55
VPeter

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2011 at 14:31

Can't remember, there probably are some good musicals but I was already traumatized on a young age by horrible musicals films such as The Sound of Music and Grease so I didn't check out any other musicals.
16.03.2011 - 10:35
Destructo

Written by MétalNoir on 09.03.2011 at 20:26

I guess Moonsorrow would be one of the handful of bands that can actually make Viking/Folk metal not sound cheesy. But ya, this album definitely is cheesy in some areas. But equally grand in most other parts.
16.03.2011 - 18:37
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by VPeter on 15.03.2011 at 18:55

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2011 at 14:31

Can't remember, there probably are some good musicals but I was already traumatized on a young age by horrible musicals films such as The Sound of Music and Grease so I didn't check out any other musicals.

Sweeney Todd is kinda good... for a musical. "The Great Escape" definitely sounds like a musical, with its theatrical vocals. It also happens to be the album's most addictive track imo.
----
17.03.2011 - 23:06
Sword_Chant

On another note, does anyone know what 'Venetoi! - Prasinoi!!' means in English terms? Still wonder what it actually refers to
18.03.2011 - 17:11
Rating: 9
Dargor

I've been listening to this album a lot recently and now I can tell that I really like this album, a lot.
20.03.2011 - 08:46
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Irritable Ted on 18.03.2011 at 21:13

Really mixed album. You have excellent tracks like The March Of The Varangian Guard, Take The Day and Stand Up And Fight, then complete garbage like Hunting Pirates and Venetoi! - Prasinoi!!

Like the soundtrack feel a lot but think they have relied on it a bit too much at the expense of the actual songs.

Not decided on a score yet, will give further time for it to sink in.

I'd have to disagree, aside from Hunting Pirates and Stand Up And Fight, the album ranges from completely forgettable, to complete trash. It's really a heart breaker, the first 2 albums I absolutely worshipped, but this is just bad. Take The Day is absolutely embarrassing, it sounds like they stole the tune from Rocky Horror Picture show.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.03.2011 - 16:44
Susan
Smeghead
Another excellent album
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
23.03.2011 - 16:49
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2011 at 08:46

Take The Day is absolutely embarrassing, it sounds like they stole the tune from Rocky Horror Picture show.

Which Rocky Horror song does it sound like? It doesn't remind me of any of the melodies...

Or, do you mean it generally feels like tunes in the show?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.03.2011 - 00:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Susan on 23.03.2011 at 16:49

Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2011 at 08:46

Take The Day is absolutely embarrassing, it sounds like they stole the tune from Rocky Horror Picture show.

Which Rocky Horror song does it sound like? It doesn't remind me of any of the melodies...

Or, do you mean it generally feels like tunes in the show?

A bit of both. I've only seen RHPS once, and I swear there was a tune in it that sounded exactly like the intro to Take The Day.
----
- George Carlin
26.03.2011 - 15:22
Runamoinen

Written by Sword_Chant on 17.03.2011 at 23:06

On another note, does anyone know what 'Venetoi! - Prasinoi!!' means in English terms? Still wonder what it actually refers to

It could refer to "the Blues" and "the Greens" - two chariot racing teams competing in the Constantinople hippodrome.
29.03.2011 - 08:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Upon further listen, I'm definitely enjoying it more than I originally did. I still still think it's a huge step down from anything they've ever done, and that most of it is filler, but I've come to enjoy a few more parts of it. It's gone from crap to sub-par for me.

The severe lack of harsh vocals still pisses me off though.
----
- George Carlin
03.04.2011 - 07:14
ZoLo

STAND UP AND FIGHT is an awesome folk metal album. at first listening it is hard to understand,but as said here with
further listen I realize how great album this is.
11.04.2011 - 08:38
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
The first few times through i was disapointed with the album. I loved the title track and varangian guard but i wasnt into the others...after a few times through i actually really started to like it and now its one of my favorite albums. I think i was looking for The Varangian Way Pt. 2 and was expecting the previous album just better. Once i got over that i could appreciate this album for wat it is...and it truely is great!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
13.04.2011 - 22:07
Jamuflaknu

Written by ZoLo on 03.04.2011 at 07:14

STAND UP AND FIGHT is an awesome folk metal album. at first listening it is hard to understand,but as said here with
further listen I realize how great album this is.

Same here. At first I didn't like this album so much, but now I think that it's possibly the best one from Turisas so far.
21.04.2011 - 08:04
wormdrink414

It sounds like a beta version of Battle Metal. Isn't bad, but definitely is just average.
22.05.2011 - 05:08
Fat & Sassy!

After reading all the comments on here, I was expecting a pretty mediocre album... But I was pleasantly surprised by this one after a couple listens. I dig the more symphonic focus in the music... Some of the songs are less aggressive than their previous work, but I think it gives it more of a soundtrack kinda feel. Good stuff. And I friggin' love End of an Empire. So epic.
24.05.2011 - 21:01
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Jethro Tull cover!? Was not expecting to buy this...
25.05.2011 - 05:44
Rating: 10
Pestilence

I really enjoyed this album. So far it's my favorite release of the year!

However, I'm really partial to cinematic passages in metal. I think that's why I enjoy this album so much more than others seem to here. It's different than the Varangian Way, but I find it very entertaining. I always need to listen to the whole thing when I start it, haha.
03.06.2011 - 22:12
Panik✠Pitbull

βένετοι! - πράσινοι!....This track is very...hmm..I would say it's quite funny
The whole album is very nice and I think that people who havn'rt listen to Turisas before would like it, so Thumbs up
----
Nichts ist unmöglich!
12.07.2011 - 07:13
Megi

I quite liked this thing who whole way through, although it could use some more "punch" in the sound, if you know what I mean
10.09.2011 - 21:18
Baz Anderson

I've never liked Turisas much, but this album is by far their best in my opinion. They have a different sound...
08.02.2012 - 06:22
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Doc G. on 29.03.2011 at 08:50

Upon further listen, I'm definitely enjoying it more than I originally did. I still still think it's a huge step down from anything they've ever done, and that most of it is filler, but I've come to enjoy a few more parts of it. It's gone from crap to sub-par for me.

When listening to this forget that its a Turisas album, forget even that its a "Metal" album and i think itll be easier to enjoy.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
08.02.2012 - 07:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by AngelofDeth on 08.02.2012 at 06:22

Written by Doc G. on 29.03.2011 at 08:50

When listening to this forget that its a Turisas album, forget even that its a "Metal" album and i think itll be easier to enjoy.

I find it even worse. See, I've been told the same thing by many people "just think of it as an original score for an epic movie". Well, that's fine and all, except it wouldn't even make a good movie soundtrack. The Varangian Way had build up and structure. This album is essentially the same song over and over with the facile melodies changed a bit. Honestly, they had some integrity before, despite having a sense of humour. This one sees them becoming Korpiklaani; Find catchy 5 note melody. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
----
- George Carlin

Hits total: 23079 | This month: 25