Metal Storm logo
Help Me Get A Friend (Further) Into Metal

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 05.03.2010 - 01:00
After searching for various recommendations/suggestions threads, I was unable to find one directly related to this. I have a friend who is borderline into metal, but she doesn't enjoy the extreme music. I offered her my (as of yet) three "Top 25 of 20xx" lists, but less than a handful of those albums interested her.

Some bands she enjoys are as follows: Anathema, Be'lakor, Black Sun Aeon, Daylight Dies, Katatonia, Novembre, Swallow the Sun

Harsh vocals aren't the problem, in fact she enjoys them as much as anyone else. The problem seems to be the degree of extremity. I for one enjoy black/death/doom/etc. and cannot for the life of me recommend more "mainstream" or "soft" bands like the ones listed above (this is in no way an assault on those bands). I'm looking for minimalism (without repetition), emotion (without extremity), and skill (without wankery) I guess. She's very bored of her media library and I'm hoping MSers can help me help her!
08.03.2010 - 00:19
Roro
In my opinion u cant push a friend into metal unless she/he is really into that type of music. its all about taste. i think u should let her try all kinds and choose what she likes.
08.03.2010 - 06:37
mortjoyeux
To the above post, it doesn't seem like he's pushing her into metal at all. From what I gather from his post she likes bands that are just on the line
of being metal.
That being said, I can only give ya the band October Tide, I have no idea if they were mentioned or not but eh.
08.03.2010 - 20:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Roro on 08.03.2010 at 00:19

In my opinion u cant push a friend into metal unless she/he is really into that type of music. its all about taste. i think u should let her try all kinds and choose what she likes.

Like cityarmy said, I'm not forcing her into anything. She told me she wants to get into more extreme bands but wanted some sort of gateway music, because when I exposed her to the likes of Vader, Immortal, Austere, Benighted, Shining, etc. she was interested but not sold. Being that I didn't really go through any gateway bands (I discovered the ones I know after finding a love for extreme genres), I was asking people on here to recommend me some.

That being said, since I started this topic she's learned to appreciate Tiamat, Rapture, Shape of Despair, Mar De Grises, Ulver, Hanging Garden, and Depressed Mode. Most of the other "big" bands mentioned she already heard of (liked most of them with the exception of Opeth and Wolves in the Throne Room). She still listens to a lot of her pop music as well and I don't question it, after all people have different tastes as you said.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to clarify that I'm not some elitist who forces my friends into believing their music is garbage because "metal is the way!"
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.03.2010 - 21:33
MeloDeathViking
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2010 at 20:31

Written by Roro on 08.03.2010 at 00:19

Like cityarmy said, I'm not forcing her into anything. She told me she wants to get into more extreme bands but wanted some sort of gateway music, because when I exposed her to the likes of Vader, Immortal, Austere, Benighted, Shining, etc. she was interested but not sold. Being that I didn't really go through any gateway bands (I discovered the ones I know after finding a love for extreme genres), I was asking people on here to recommend me some.

That being said, since I started this topic she's learned to appreciate Tiamat, Rapture, Shape of Despair, Mar De Grises, Ulver, Hanging Garden, and Depressed Mode. Most of the other "big" bands mentioned she already heard of (liked most of them with the exception of Opeth and Wolves in the Throne Room). She still listens to a lot of her pop music as well and I don't question it, after all people have different tastes as you said.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to clarify that I'm not some elitist who forces my friends into believing their music is garbage because "metal is the way!"

Sounds like she is really starting to find her way around some good bands, hopefully she continues to find more she likes. I know I started out very reserved in my metal tastes, and now I'd like to think that I'm pretty diverse in what metal sub-genres I enjoy. It's all about finding that music that makes you say "Wow!"
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
08.03.2010 - 23:58
Roro
Hmm.. maybe u can try to give her more of the genre she likes and gradually u give her mixed genre. for example, if she likes death, next time try to give her death/ black band till she adapts to black bands. its a suggestion afterall
09.03.2010 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by MeloDeathViking on 08.03.2010 at 21:33

It's all about finding that music that makes you say "Wow!"

True.

And after being into metal for 31 years (coming September) that is still what I am looking for and also achieving on a regular basis.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2010 - 09:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2010 at 02:59

Written by MeloDeathViking on 08.03.2010 at 21:33

It's all about finding that music that makes you say "Wow!"

True.

And after being into metal for 31 years (coming September) that is still what I am looking for and also achieving on a regular basis.

I'll third that opinion, discovering new sounds... new experiences is the main reason to why I listen to music on a regular basis.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.03.2010 - 14:00
Roro
Well spoken
15.03.2010 - 09:34
frankeli
Account deleted
Get her to bed! is the only good advice. ... but don't be brutal )) Leave that to music )
20.03.2010 - 01:08
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Angra
After Forever
Aghora
Blind Guardian
Epica
Evergrey
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Nightwish
Stratovarious
Symphony-X

...my cheesy friends & mom likes these groups so maybe that'll help hehe
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
20.03.2010 - 04:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Don't forget Amorphis, my grandma loves them.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.03.2010 - 09:22
Vathek
Based on what my Wife gets into

NIN - sexy, minimal, powerful.
Devin Townsend - Terria
Strapping Young Lad - (borderline)
Tool
Bloodsimple - more groove metal, but AMAZING vocalist. Very well written songs

Also
GORGORORTH - seems to tick most of the boxes, especially last 2 albums "Ad Majorum Satanhaus Gloriam" and "Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt" my wife said she'd really dig it if it wasn't for the harsh vox, so maybe your friend would dig it in entirety...
CULT OF LUNA - Post metal
ISIS - Post metal

BURZUM

Meshuggah? my wife also enjoys them.
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
25.03.2010 - 09:22
Vathek
And let us not forget

BLATHERSKITE - http://www.myspace.com/blatherskite
Where the Wasteland Ends

lolz
----
27.03.2010 - 22:15
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
HELP! Lets get it straight: I need tips to get a parrot into metal, Really!
This genntelman of mine likes pop and dances to it but is sorta scared of metal songs. Since HE is the BOSS, it's me who has to listen to some shitty pop with him everyday!
Any ideas?
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
28.03.2010 - 00:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 27.03.2010 at 22:15

HELP! Lets get it straight: I need tips to get a parrot into metal, Really!
This genntelman of mine likes pop and dances to it but is sorta scared of metal songs. Since HE is the BOSS, it's me who has to listen to some shitty pop with him everyday!
Any ideas?

Theatre Of Tragedy has an album called "Assembly"... it's the most electronic and danceable industrial poppy gothic disco metal album ever made... any tro0 metal fan is terrified by this album...

But your parrot might like it...
28.03.2010 - 09:53
Vathek
If you can get "Twitch" by Ministry, that might be a gateway...
The closest thing to Depeche Mode... then ramp him up from there with "The Land of Rape and Honey"
Nine Inch Nails from there I think...
Also maybe Evanesance???
Filter are another good industrial cross over type of thing
Devin Townsend, "Terria" and "Synchestra" are both symphonic masterpieces, and his vocals are top notch...
Or some old school Kyuss, that's pretty catchy.
----
29.03.2010 - 14:51
Roro
Written by Norm on 21.03.2010 at 03:09

Can't believe no one has said this...

The best way to help a friend get more involved with Metal is to take them to shows with you...

u'r right!
CONCERTS BABE CONCERTS!!!

so tell us troy, does ur friend go any further ?
31.03.2010 - 18:02
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Ernis on 28.03.2010 at 00:45

Theatre Of Tragedy has an album called "Assembly"... it's the most electronic and danceable industrial poppy gothic disco metal album ever made... any tro0 metal fan is terrified by this album...

Written by Vathek on 28.03.2010 at 09:53

If you can get "Twitch" by Ministry, that might be a gateway...
The closest thing to Depeche Mode... then ramp him up from there with "The Land of Rape and Honey"
Nine Inch Nails from there I think...
Also maybe Evanesance???
Filter are another good industrial cross over type of thing
Devin Townsend, "Terria" and "Synchestra" are both symphonic masterpieces, and his vocals are top notch...
Or some old school Kyuss, that's pretty catchy.

Thanks.
So far have tried Theatre Of Tragedy and Ministry. They seem to be working!
Gotta try the rest in addition to Scorpions and Deep Purple.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
31.03.2010 - 21:56
Candlemass
Defaeco
Christ, Metal is not a cult.
Yet let him listen Arch Enemy, Early Metallica, Melodic Death metal, Children of Bodom or Power metal or that sort.
GL.
02.04.2010 - 22:32
Bhavok
Introduce her to more metalheads, they might have different tastes and perhaps se would find different approaches towards the same genre.
18.04.2010 - 22:03
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Troy Gallant: Hey, why don't you just leave her discover bands on her own? It's always a pleasure for a music fan to find out what he/she's into that way, without being either influenced or guided by someone. I assume it's the best way for every person who likes any kind of music to become a true fan of it.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
18.04.2010 - 22:45
Mikyz
It seems that she is into Melodic stuff so definitely Rapture - Songs for the Withering and Rapture - Silent Stage, also maybe Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde and Alcest - Écailles de Lune, Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs and maybe some Edge of Sanity. Not really metal but she might enjoy Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness (harder to digest then the other albums). One for the road, The Ocean - Precambrian. Not all of them are melodic but I think they can help open up towards metal, at least those are some of the albums I use on my non-metalhead friends.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
19.04.2010 - 03:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Roro on 29.03.2010 at 14:51

so tell us troy, does ur friend go any further ?

Sorry for the late response, I forget that I don't get notified of people posting in this thread. Anyway, she's come to like a lot of more extreme bands:

Anorexia Nervosa, Barren Earth, Cobalt, Dawn of Tears, Diabolical Masquerade... the list goes on.

As for suggestions regarding concerts and letting her discover music on her own: firstly, I don't attend concerts on account of minor agoraphobia; secondly, she requested that I suggest more bands for her as she is rather lazy when it comes to searching for new music.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your suggestions - not one has been overlooked (with the exception of a handful of Marcel's suggestions )
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.04.2010 - 16:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just read the topic title fast, "Help Me Get A Friend", and thought WTF?
----
19.04.2010 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2010 at 03:23

not one has been overlooked (with the exception of a handful of Marcel's suggestions )

Why oh why?
Too lazy to properly search for them?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2010 - 23:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ernis on 28.03.2010 at 00:45

I friggin love that cd. It just screams: HOT MUSIC.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.04.2010 - 23:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.04.2010 at 22:30

Why oh why?

There's just one too many obscure bands...
----
20.04.2010 - 03:39
Edmund Fogg
She can put any bands she likes on either grooveshark,last.fm or gnoosic.Any of these sites will list band with similar styles or influences and both grooveshark and last.fm will provide samples of music.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.04.2010 - 11:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2010 at 23:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.04.2010 at 22:30

Why oh why?

There's just one too many obscure bands...

Such as?
Actually, usually the obscure bands are better than the well-known ones
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2010 - 11:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.04.2010 at 11:12

Such as?
Actually, usually the obscure bands are better than the well-known ones

Well older bands like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed and Pentagram aren't obscure, but she didn't like their sound. The particular band I was referring to though is Iron Void, who only have a live album according to M-A.

And I definitely agree that obscure bands are often better than commercial bands - the hard part is discovering them.
----