Metal Storm logo
Help Me Get A Friend (Further) Into Metal

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 05.03.2010 - 01:00
After searching for various recommendations/suggestions threads, I was unable to find one directly related to this. I have a friend who is borderline into metal, but she doesn't enjoy the extreme music. I offered her my (as of yet) three "Top 25 of 20xx" lists, but less than a handful of those albums interested her.

Some bands she enjoys are as follows: Anathema, Be'lakor, Black Sun Aeon, Daylight Dies, Katatonia, Novembre, Swallow the Sun

Harsh vocals aren't the problem, in fact she enjoys them as much as anyone else. The problem seems to be the degree of extremity. I for one enjoy black/death/doom/etc. and cannot for the life of me recommend more "mainstream" or "soft" bands like the ones listed above (this is in no way an assault on those bands). I'm looking for minimalism (without repetition), emotion (without extremity), and skill (without wankery) I guess. She's very bored of her media library and I'm hoping MSers can help me help her!
20.04.2010 - 11:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2010 at 11:28

Well older bands like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed and Pentagram aren't obscure, but she didn't like their sound. The particular band I was referring to though is Iron Void, who only have a live album according to M-A.

And I definitely agree that obscure bands are often better than commercial bands - the hard part is discovering them.

I realised you might have been referring to Iron Void. Yeah, they only have one live demo out (or two considering So Mortal Be were more or less the same band) But since your friend doesn't like the sound of Saint Vitus I can guarantee she won't like Iron Void either. IV could best be described as a Saint Vitus tribute band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2010 - 11:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.04.2010 at 11:33

I realised you might have been referring to Iron Void. Yeah, they only have one live demo out (or two considering So Mortal Be were more or less the same band) But since your friend doesn't like the sound of Saint Vitus I can guarantee she won't like Iron Void either. IV could best be described as a Saint Vitus tribute band.

Fair enough - and thanks by the way for the recommendations. Even if she didn't like them I might be able to look into some more of them for myself. I'm interested in Place of Skulls and Pale Divine, so I'll have to check them out soon.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.04.2010 - 15:41
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Start them with friendly metal like edguy and tuatha de danann and they sureley fall into the metal scene
----
Stay Metal !!!
03.05.2010 - 21:38
I_Die_Often

My girlfriend is a younger half black girl mostly into hip-hop, she liked Metallica when she was younger and doesn't mind my stuff.
I took her to see Arch Enemy and Arsis. It blew her away!
She was amazed at the energy of the band and the crowd.
Now she loves Arch Enemy and wants to go see other shows.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
04.05.2010 - 23:31
Kennoth

Written by Richard on 05.03.2010 at 02:28

I would recommend early Paradise Lost.. particularly the song 'As I Die', which I remember some people I knew who weren't really into Metal would still really appreciate 'back in the day'. BitterCOld's recommendation of Ulver - 'Bergtatt' is also totally appropriate - I remember the first track in particular appealing to a 'not-usually-into-much-Metal' person I knew.

Also, she might like Dan Swano - 'Moontower'. In places it's vaguely reminiscent of Amorphis' later kind of feel, with a melodic, progressive touch, but not really technical, and has mostly death growls but with some melodic singing.

I think she'd probably enjoy most of the non death/doom PL stuff. I'd recommend 'In Requiem', it's a really nice album. What about female fronted metal? Or this so called Suomi metal stuff?

I'd also recommend Korn and Disturbed (artistic freedom ), probably too 'mainstream', and not really melodic, but these stuff get you into metal generally.

Oh BTW, power metal is true gateway music. Hammerfall or Kamelot she might like (spoken in Yoda voice)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.05.2010 - 23:39
Kennoth

Written by Ernis on 28.03.2010 at 00:45

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 27.03.2010 at 22:15

HELP! Lets get it straight: I need tips to get a parrot into metal, Really!
This genntelman of mine likes pop and dances to it but is sorta scared of metal songs. Since HE is the BOSS, it's me who has to listen to some shitty pop with him everyday!
Any ideas?

Theatre Of Tragedy has an album called "Assembly"... it's the most electronic and danceable industrial poppy gothic disco metal album ever made... any tro0 metal fan is terrified by this album...

But your parrot might like it...

Love Liv Kristine
----
*insert something deep and profound*
19.03.2011 - 02:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Coming back to this, just thought I'd update everyone who helped. After some hits and misses and more research and discussion, etc. I've come to find that a lot of these suggestions led to greater things. Some of my friend's (now) favorite bands:

Agalloch
Alcest
Amorphis
Anathema
Be;lakor
Cult of Luna
Forest Stream
Green Carnation
Gris
Insomnium
Lifelover
Raventale

She's now open to just about every genre and listens to a lot more extreme stuff, but she's really into atmospheric/emotional stuff. And I can work on giving her suggestions from there.

Thanks to all who helped.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.03.2011 - 21:20
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm to lazy to read through the thread, but if you said atmospheric, than maybe show her Giant Squid, if you didn't allready.
25.03.2011 - 11:55
Risto
Wandering Midget
Omnium Gatherum, particularly "New World Shadows".
28.03.2011 - 18:56
VloRD

Hey, Troy,
Bestial Mockery - Christcrushing Hammerchainsaw She will surely love it
----
29.03.2011 - 00:02
TrollandDie

A bit of late-era Death is what got me into extreme metal.
Anything from either Symbolic or The Sound of Perseverance will probably do the job if she in any way wants to get into more extreme metal.

I would also recommend Amorphis, Emperor, a tonne of melodic death metal from groups such as In Flames and Dark Tranquility and thrash groups such as Exodus and Forbidden.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
02.04.2011 - 20:07
Coté

Written by I_Die_Often on 03.05.2010 at 21:38

My girlfriend is a younger half black girl mostly into hip-hop, she liked Metallica when she was younger and doesn't mind my stuff.

That's was a job well done.
In my case, well, my boyfriend just seem to like softer, more commercial bandsm like Disturbed or Sonata Arctica. I try to show to him some Theatre of Tragedy, I began with the more techno ones since he somewhat into that, but whrn I came to the early ones he didn't like them...
I show him opeth and it was the same thing

Some advice ?
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
02.04.2011 - 20:10
Yasmine

I just found Be;lakor earlier this week, I found it pretty interesting!
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
02.04.2011 - 20:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Coté on 02.04.2011 at 20:07

In my case, well, my boyfriend just seem to like softer, more commercial bandsm like Disturbed or Sonata Arctica. I try to show to him some Theatre of Tragedy, I began with the more techno ones since he somewhat into that, but whrn I came to the early ones he didn't like them...

Some advice ?

I think it's best to expose your boyfriend to your brother's taste in metal Or will that drive him away for good?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2011 - 20:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2011 at 20:39

I think it's best to expose your boyfriend to your brother's taste in metal Or will that drive him away for good?

Hhahahah thanks, I'm flattered.
But yeah... My sis can't handle most of the stuff I listen to in a regular basis, let alone her boyfriend. it might still be worth a shot though

It has been a long time since I got someone into metal or something like that. I remember one of the biggest things I did for a friend (and it felt like a mistake for years) was when I just namedropped a few bands and turned into an Amon Amarth freak, like.. really fanboy. and the songs NEEDED to have a friggin solo in order to be good. Luckly I started to show him for black and finally doom... He really appreciates heavy stuff now. So I think I did a great job (it took years though). Now One of his favorite bands is Candlemass as far as I know, it's a beginning

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.03.2011 at 02:46

Lifelover

She's now open to just about every genre and listens to a lot more extreme stuff, but she's really into atmospheric/emotional stuff. And I can work on giving her suggestions from there.

Woa... I mean, it's not like Lifelover is soooo hard to get into but I did struggle for a while and I guess I've been into metal far longer than your friend. It's not like anyone can actually dig that stuff so easily (specially the freaky Pulver) Very good job dude! respects for your friend as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.04.2011 - 20:53
I_Die_Often

Written by Coté on 02.04.2011 at 20:07

Some advice ?

I feel that if someone cares for you they need to accept the fact you listen to what you want and not hold you back and expect you to change, just as you can't expect them to change.
Hell, I have even found some rap/hip hop that is tolerable now due to my GF(don't tell anyone! OK) but most the lyrics are just ridiculously childish and the music boring...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.04.2011 - 17:25
lopper

I would say in flames both the new and old are great. also mastodon and gojira maybe also all that remains
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
05.04.2011 - 19:47
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Tell him: "Metal rules, and if you don't like it, Die"
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
06.04.2011 - 13:45
Coté

Quote:
Quote:

I feel that if someone cares for you they need to accept the fact you listen to what you want and not hold you back and expect you to change, just as you can't expect them to change.
Hell, I have even found some rap/hip hop that is tolerable now due to my GF(don't tell anyone! OK) but most the lyrics are just ridiculously childish and the music boring...

Tolerable, seems like your GF does miracles xD
So, if the music is childish and the lyrics ridiculous, then what's left ?
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
13.05.2011 - 20:47
Sombre

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.03.2011 at 02:46

Coming back to this, just thought I'd update everyone who helped. After some hits and misses and more research and discussion, etc. I've come to find that a lot of these suggestions led to greater things. Some of my friend's (now) favorite bands:

Agalloch
Alcest
Amorphis
Anathema
Be;lakor
Cult of Luna
Forest Stream
Green Carnation
Gris
Insomnium
Lifelover
Raventale

I think I got the same music taste than your girl friend. I would recommend the bands listed above and a couple more:

Virgin Black
Mar de Grises
Poema Arcanus
Cynic
Assyrian (hahaha I am a douchebag, this is my band, but yeah we are an "emotional" doom metal band)

That's it.
13.05.2011 - 22:27
JD
Account deleted
One word: Slayer
14.05.2011 - 01:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Sombre on 13.05.2011 at 20:47

Assyrian (we are an awesome doom metal band)

Fixed for accuracy.
----
14.05.2011 - 03:48
Sombre

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.05.2011 at 01:02

Written by Sombre on 13.05.2011 at 20:47

Assyrian (we are an awesome doom metal band)

Fixed for accuracy.

Sorry this is out of topic, but I can't stop laughing, you are very nice thanks so much.

Waiting anxiously for that review.
22.05.2011 - 06:01
king_matt

Written by Zombie on 05.04.2011 at 19:47

Seems like it could work...
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.05.2011 - 21:13
josuu

Interesting thread, I found so many bands I need to check out myself... For some reason the atmospheric and very emotional music has started to interest me lately.

One band I can also recommend is MyGRAIN, all of their albums are good, but especially the latest which is called simply MyGRAIN.
23.05.2011 - 19:09
DorianGray

Hell I just found more bands in this thread that I really like then I have found on my own in a few months nice
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
29.05.2011 - 02:22
Metal_4Ever

Written by king_matt on 22.05.2011 at 06:01

Written by Zombie on 05.04.2011 at 19:47

Seems like it could work...

Yeah It worked for ME...
30.05.2011 - 05:23
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Get new friends.
12.07.2011 - 20:17
Smriti

Obscure bands? Nest.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/-Smriti-
26.05.2012 - 12:12
Infernal Eternal

I suggest Hammerfall. It worked for my girlfriend.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter