02. Discounted Dormancy
03. When Passion Dies
04. Recipe For Demise
05. The Cult Of Ego
06. Off The Face Of The Earth
07. The Wrath Of A'ath
08. Pandemic Persecution
09. Demonized

To be honest I've never been a big fan of melodic death metal. Sure, it has cool riffs sometimes and I can appreciate a few of the bands. But the majority of the style has always seemed really bland to me. So there it was, a couple days ago, in an envelope addressed to Bas / Metal Storm lay the new output of the Dutch melo death band Fuelblooded. Of course I did what I always do, tried to give it an open-minded shot, listen to it a few times and hope for the best.

Ok, enough of my personal life, regardless of how cool and exciting it may be, now to describe the album at hand. As already mentioned the band plays melodic death metal, the thrashy sort to be exact, and from what I gathered Trivium, Darkane and Arch Enemy served as role models. Off The Face Of The Earth is their second full-length after 8 years of existence and contains a huge amount of melodic guitar solos.

The drumming is usually pretty fast, but pretty monotone as well, and not in the pretty way. Some of the riffs are really good, but the majority of them are just too soft for my taste. After all melodic death metal should be a lot death with a bit of melody, not a whole lot of melody with a smidgen of death, if you ask me.

Now the vocals are the most interesting issue that's up for discussion. Vocalist Peter Brinkman can put out some decent growls, but it turns out he prefers singing cleanly. His clean singing is pretty good, but it really doesn't fit. Somewhere in between heavy metal (ever heard of Iced Earth?) and alternative metal a ton of bands would be happy to have him. But well, the rest of the music is melodic death metal, and even though it's very melodic, his clean voice just doesn't really fit.

The production of the album is great and the musicianship is pretty tight too, but in the end this is just another of many many unimpressive bands in the world of metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written by Bas | 04.03.2010

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 73 users
05.03.2010 - 01:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmm, you name Trivium, Arch Enemey and Darkane and not a single one of them plays melodic death metal. So how come you think Fuelblooded plays it? I have seen the band a couple of times and nothing melodic death metal about them. MOdern thrash, yes. But NOT melodic death metal.

Btw, guitarist Danny Tunker is also part of Detonation.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 11:38
BudDa

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 01:56

Mmm, you name Trivium, Arch Enemey and Darkane and not a single one of them plays melodic death metal. So how come you think Fuelblooded plays it? I have seen the band a couple of times and nothing melodic death metal about them. MOdern thrash, yes. But NOT melodic death metal.

What do Arch Enemy Play?! and what does Modern Thrash entail..examples?!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
05.03.2010 - 12:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

I have seen the band a couple of times and nothing melodic death metal about them...

They label themselves as melodic death / thrash and I'd have to agree. Maybe they aren't Cannibal Corpse+melody+Exodus, but they are that new brand of melodic death metal infused with the clean thrash sound (like a "modern Gothenburg" style). It's hard to explain.

Descriptive enough review. I'd rate it 5/10, mainly for those out-of-place clean vocals and bland musicianship. Some of the riffs are okay.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.03.2010 - 13:45
silenius

Arch enemy and their likes do NOT play melodic death metal, we´ve had this conversation before and it will keep on going to eternity, but they dont play melodic DEATH metal.
05.03.2010 - 14:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Then what exactly would you say Darkane's modern thrash side project Non Human Level is then?

Melodic death metal is one of those non-literal tags that points to a band that has a particular sound and one that rarely has anything to do with death metal. Like in the way industrial black metal is never really industrial, not in the Throbbing Gristle sense, it's just an abstract term used to coin a particular sound.

I'll admit that Darkane has always had a thrashier sound (and most people regard them so) but Arch Enemy, especially in their early days fits the popular notion of melodic death metal.

Slaughter of the Soul? That was a thrash album in my mind.

Hits total: 6866 | This month: 6