Metal Storm logo
Fates Warning

Original post

Posted by , 07.08.2006 - 01:27
I can't believe no topic has been made for this band. One of the greatest heavy metal/progressive bands in the history of metal.Their albums are all amazing. With albums such as The Spectre Within,No Exit,Perfect Symmetry and of course who could forget that timeless classic Awaken the Guardian (one of the greatest albums of all time).From the majestic John Arch to Ray Alder on vocals.Let me know what you think on this legendary metal band.
14.07.2007 - 22:18
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 14.07.2007 at 21:17

I like new albums from this band, but not a fan of old ones, they sound to much like Iron Maiden lol

I have to disagree with you on that one. Only Night on Brocken sounds anything similar to Iron Maiden. Awaken the Guardian and The Spectre Within, sound nothing like Iron Maiden at all. Perhaps you should give them another lesson, as their compositions are way more complex on SW and ATG, then Iron Maiden back then.
14.07.2007 - 22:36
APOHAKC
The Bard
I will do that, I must admit I listened to those albums looong time ago, and in that time, it really reminded me on Iron Maiden (I like IM), and it was not to interesting to listen, but sure, I give them another listen
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
14.07.2007 - 22:42
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 14.07.2007 at 22:36

I will do that, I must admit I listened to those albums looong time ago, and in that time, it really reminded me on Iron Maiden (I like IM), and it was not to interesting to listen, but sure, I give them another listen

They are really hard albums to get into, and I don't blame you for thinking that, but I am assured you will think differently when you hear them again! I like Iron Maiden a lot too, and I saw some similaritys, but the more I listened to Awaken the Guardian (My favorite Fates Warning album btw) I realized how different it was! I truly hope you will come to the same conclusion I did!!!
14.07.2007 - 22:45
APOHAKC
The Bard
You really interested me now, I will dig for Fates Warning tapes now, it was long time ago I listened to them and beside last two albums all others are on tapes LOL it will be funny to listen tapes after many years

Thanx for recommendations
----
14.07.2007 - 22:50
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 14.07.2007 at 22:45

You really interested me now, I will dig for Fates Warning tapes now, it was long time ago I listened to them and beside last two albums all others are on tapes LOL it will be funny to listen tapes after many years

Thanx for recommendations

Anytime my friend!! I am very anxious to hear what you think hahaha! So you better post immediately after your relistens! haha
14.07.2007 - 22:55
APOHAKC
The Bard
LOL I will, but it seams I will have to download albums or something, I can't find my tapes
----
09.11.2007 - 04:34
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.07.2007 at 22:18

I like new albums from this band, but not a fan of old ones, they sound to much like Iron Maiden lol

I have to disagree with you on that one. Only Night on Brocken sounds anything similar to Iron Maiden. Awaken the Guardian and The Spectre Within, sound nothing like Iron Maiden at all. Perhaps you should give them another lesson, as their compositions are way more complex on SW and ATG, then Iron Maiden back then.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you dude. Maiden were far more complex than early FW, especially on a compositional level. FW with age got better and better, continually growing and changing their sound. Which isn't a bad thing of course.
16.01.2008 - 09:04
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 04:34

I'm gonna have to disagree with you dude. Maiden were far more complex than early FW, especially on a compositional level. FW with age got better and better, continually growing and changing their sound. Which isn't a bad thing of course.

Gonna disagree with you Buck, of all the things Ive ever not agreed with you on, this is something I'm 100% sure on, that is simply a bland statement, in terms of composition level dude you have no idea what you're talking about, both awaken the guardian and the spectre within contain vast amounts of changes something you won't see on every early maiden song! Just so you know they were coined progressive metal before no exit came out, and for a very good reason, you simply havent listened to spectre at all nor have you hardly listened to awaken the guardian therefore your statement is nullified sorry dude, but you're wrong.
16.01.2008 - 23:41
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 09:04

Gonna disagree with you Buck, of all the things Ive ever not agreed with you on, this is something I'm 100% sure on, that is simply a bland statement, in terms of composition level dude you have no idea what you're talking about, both awaken the guardian and the spectre within contain vast amounts of changes something you won't see on every early maiden song! Just so you know they were coined progressive metal before no exit came out, and for a very good reason, you simply havent listened to spectre at all nor have you hardly listened to awaken the guardian therefore your statement is nullified sorry dude, but you're wrong.

It's not as well executed as Maiden was, simply having time changes doesn't necessarily make it progressive. Besides I was talking Piece of Mind, Powerslave era Maiden. Oh, and I have listened to Spectre, more so than even Awaken, nullifying your statement. I'm not saying these albums are bad, I'm just saying they don't compare to Maiden, specifically "Golden" era Maiden.
10.03.2008 - 22:27
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 23:41

Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 09:04

It's not as well executed as Maiden was, simply having time changes doesn't necessarily make it progressive. Besides I was talking Piece of Mind, Powerslave era Maiden. Oh, and I have listened to Spectre, more so than even Awaken, nullifying your statement. I'm not saying these albums are bad, I'm just saying they don't compare to Maiden, specifically "Golden" era Maiden.

Well let's face it nothing compares to Maiden, but if you are talking in terms of complexity, your remarks can only be described as amusing, if you are telling me that Maiden was more complex than fates warning, then you can only expect a laugh from me. That would be among the utmost rediculous things I have ever heard, because it is not true, FW were easily more complex than Maiden back in the day.
11.03.2008 - 21:10
Hellish Star

Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 22:27

Well let's face it nothing compares to Maiden, but if you are talking in terms of complexity, your remarks can only be described as amusing, if you are telling me that Maiden was more complex than fates warning, then you can only expect a laugh from me. That would be among the utmost rediculous things I have ever heard, because it is not true, FW were easily more complex than Maiden back in the day.

Nothing can be compared with Maiden? I disagree, even as a fan of (especially the older) Maiden... I know a lot of bands that are better than Maiden...

If you compare Maiden and Fates Warning than it is easy to say the skills, technical seen, are much bigger in Fates Warning (especially the instruments). But not only skills counts;a composer or a band also needs the talent to write good songs with all sort of emotions (agression, melancholy, sadness, love, hapiness, anger,...).

Both bands released outstanding albums but also had their disappointments, both also have another goal for their music.

The difference is the big crowd liked Maiden's music more and their music is more famous, had more support, had succes because of the image created by 'Eddie',... but that doesn't mean they're better. As a matter of fact it is a matter of taste, which is subjective....

Fates Warning's music is mostly more 'difficult' to understand... Maiden created more recognizable songs...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
12.03.2008 - 06:02
bucky01403
Account deleted
Your first three paragraphs are spot on dude, but popularity doesn't make or break a band. Maiden found that perfect medium between technicality and memorability. All of Maiden's major technical achievements ( Hallowed, To Tame a Land, Rime, and Sign of the Cross) all retain hooks and can be sung along to just as easily as their more popular tracks. Which is a stroke of genius. And the man is right, there are loads of bands out there that are far more talanted than maiden.

@SM: The only thing to laugh at is you're extreme bias towards FW.
29.04.2008 - 07:58
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 11.03.2008 at 21:10

Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 22:27

Nothing can be compared with Maiden? I disagree, even as a fan of (especially the older) Maiden... I know a lot of bands that are better than Maiden...

If you compare Maiden and Fates Warning than it is easy to say the skills, technical seen, are much bigger in Fates Warning (especially the instruments). But not only skills counts;a composer or a band also needs the talent to write good songs with all sort of emotions (agression, melancholy, sadness, love, hapiness, anger,...).

Both bands released outstanding albums but also had their disappointments, both also have another goal for their music.

The difference is the big crowd liked Maiden's music more and their music is more famous, had more support, had succes because of the image created by 'Eddie',... but that doesn't mean they're better. As a matter of fact it is a matter of taste, which is subjective....

Fates Warning's music is mostly more 'difficult' to understand... Maiden created more recognizable songs...

Jeez man that's the second time you need to get a clue. That maiden comment was simply pure comical value. I am a huge maiden fan and fanboy no less, but even I know they aren't the greatest. Fates are my second favorite band, and are one of the most talented bands ever. You can't simply barge into an argument like that, no offense.
04.07.2009 - 20:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Is this a Fates Warning or Iron Maiden thread - esh! Reasons why FW are my second favorite band of all time:

- I remember seeing "Silent Cries" on Headbangersball in 1988. "No Exit" was the very first compact disk I purchased
- Jim Matheos is part guitar hero/metal god/song writing genius
- Mark Zonder's drumming was so dynamic
- They were never mainstream yet kept putting out quality albums - just how i liked it - each release my dirty little secret!
----
rekt
11.09.2009 - 16:49
Antidote

Well i have never been into Iron Maiden very much, so i can't really compare these two bands. But Fates Warning is absolutely THE BEST progressive metal band for me.
I enjoy older Fates very much too, no doubt about it, but the band really started to develop with "Perfect Symmetry" - they experimented more and made it all more interesting. So yeah, you can say i like their "newer" stuff more.
My personal favourite is "Disconnected" with it's very melancholic and beautiful atmosphere. (I read somewhere that Ray said this was he's least favourite )
I like how Matheos manages to create songs without guitar solos (APSOG, Disconnected) - i think not many bands dare to take that step but for Fates Warning it works big time! This shows how talented songwriter Jim is. Emotions, sadness, fear, happiness, life, relationships - things we all face each day and Fates Warning deals with all of them. They really touch me, you know

As far as Dream Theater is concerned and the endless comparison between these do, then for me Dream Theater can NEVER achieve the kind of deepness and seriousness Fates Warning has.
Don't get me wrong, i like DT....until "Falling Into Infinity" - after that they just got too technical and boring for me.
Fates Warning on the other hand continues to please me
04.11.2009 - 14:13
ponderer

Awaken the Guardian is probably the single greatest progressive metal album ever conceived and delivered. John Arch is a god amongst mortals.
03.07.2010 - 15:42
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Finally got my re-issued "Parallels" CD in the mail! It comes with a bonus DVD which contains interviews and rare concert footage...an awesome add to any FW collection! Fans...pick it up!
----
rekt
29.05.2014 - 23:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
In the car driving yesterday and I turned on SiriusXM Radio - Hair Nation and "Eye To Eye" played. I was so pissed! I thought, "My FW? A hair metal band? Lumped in with the rest of that glam metal crap! How absurd! How could you?!" I was so offended. Thoughts?
----
rekt
01.06.2014 - 18:53
Charly546

Written by tea[m]ster on 29.05.2014 at 23:46

In the car driving yesterday and I turned on SiriusXM Radio - Hair Nation and "Eye To Eye" played. I was so pissed! I thought, "My FW? A hair metal band? Lumped in with the rest of that glam metal crap! How absurd! How could you?!" I was so offended. Thoughts?

You get Fates Warning on radio? I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'd get FW on radio.

Although I can see what you mean - there you were, looking for glam metal and found Fates Warning. "Fates Warning on my glam metal station?! How absurd! How could you?! BAH!"
01.06.2014 - 19:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Charly546 on 01.06.2014 at 18:53

You get Fates Warning on radio? I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'd get FW on radio.

Although I can see what you mean - there you were, looking for glam metal and found Fates Warning. "Fates Warning on my glam metal station?! How absurd! How could you?! BAH!"

Well. its Sirius satellite radio - not a radio station in some town ; I wasn't really LOOKING for glam metal, just flicking thru the stations and I stop at the Hair Nation channel once in a while to see what's playing, get a bit nostalgic. I hear the usual suspects most of the time but I was just SHOCKED when they played FW! HOW COULD THEY!!!?? LOL
----
rekt
01.06.2014 - 23:15
Charly546

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.06.2014 at 19:11

Written by Charly546 on 01.06.2014 at 18:53

Well. its Sirius satellite radio - not a radio station in some town ; I wasn't really LOOKING for glam metal, just flicking thru the stations and I stop at the Hair Nation channel once in a while to see what's playing, get a bit nostalgic. I hear the usual suspects most of the time but I was just SHOCKED when they played FW! HOW COULD THEY!!!?? LOL

Well perhaps we're all wrong about FW - they're not progressive metal, but rather glam metal? From "Eye to eye" I can see how they've reached such a conclusion. I don't think that song sounds out of place at all on a glam metal station.

And there's nothing wrong about glam metal, no need for excuses like "not really looking for it but since I happened on that station then why not for nostalgias sake". Let the hairspray flow through you, accept your inner hairspray.
19.07.2014 - 00:06
Slagmark

Fates Warning is one of my absolute favourites. The early releases such as "Awaken the Guardian" is one that have been played allmost to shreds over many years. But i still can't really make my mind up over which of Arch and Alder i prefer most..
----
https://soundcloud.com/algulsiento/sets/confined
https://www.facebook.com/AlgulSiento
26.07.2014 - 11:24
Hellish Star

To me the Alder era all the way....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.06.2015 - 14:26
Forty2One

Tried really hard to get big into this band, but could only enjoy a handful of songs, Guardian, Anarchy Divine, Valley of the Dolls.

Too me, it's partly the vocals. John Arch and Ray Alder just didn't do it for me.

Major respect too them for being such an OG Prog Metal band though.
----
Circus Maximus - Symphony X - Sabaton - Lost Horizon - Outworld - Falconer - Hammerfall
In Flames - Dream Theater - Enslaved
03.12.2020 - 17:50
LordXan

What do you think of the last album (
(Long Day Good Night )? I find it a perfect synthesis between the most dreamy atmospheres and the power of the latest works