Metal Storm logo
Dungeons & Dragons

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 07.08.2006 - 05:21
I'm surprised no one has created a D&D thread. This legendary game in which I'm sure some bands even drew influence from,but anyway I'm curious to know how many metal stormers play the game. I'm fairly new to the game but by no means a newbie to it. I have been playing since the late 90's.So yeah like I said,if you play the game let me know!
30.07.2008 - 07:27
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Eh, while I can see the overall concept of 4.0, like having more so roles rather than solid character classes, to me, it just isn't what D&D should be. I mean, they've transformed it into a completely different game system. One which is so different in fact, that it resembles other RPG's more than it resembles itself. I prefer basic and 2nd addition. I just can't get into 3 or 4.0.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
31.07.2008 - 08:05
Haightredy
The 4.0 rulebook makes no sense. We spent half an hour trying to figure out what "special" meant. And then another half an hour guesssing what "W" stood for. But besides that 4.0 is great once you get used to it. The new Races are awesome, but I don't know why they took out Orcs.
31.07.2008 - 18:52
Hrothdane
Written by Haightredy on 31.07.2008 at 08:05

The 4.0 rulebook makes no sense. We spent half an hour trying to figure out what "special" meant. And then another half an hour guesssing what "W" stood for. But besides that 4.0 is great once you get used to it. The new Races are awesome, but I don't know why they took out Orcs.

if you look in the back of the monster manual, it has stats for orc characters (as well as many other such as drow, gnomes, doppelgangers, warforged, and MINOTAURS)
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
04.08.2008 - 00:36
Tórnach
Account deleted
It hurts my head, it hurts ><
I'd love to play but way too many rules for me to keep up with.
16.12.2008 - 13:25
Hrothdane
I thought I would resurrect this topic by asking what extra things people may like to do to add to the game. For me and my gaming group, my one friend took a piece of posterboard, a wood block, and some clothes pins with each person's name on it and made an initiative tracker. Another thing we do is I made a scale map out of legos that I can add scenery to and everyone uses legos as miniatures. People still get distracted when it isn't their turn, but they are playing with the map so its not so bad
----

16.12.2008 - 15:08
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Whenever I play this its when I have nothing to do or are waiting for something. I don't even play by the rules. All my friends and I do is one makes up the current location and whats happening and I say what I do based on what he tells me. No board game or anything else like that. I don't even know if that qualifies as D&D but that's what we call it
----
Coldgrits
16.12.2008 - 15:30
Hrothdane
Written by -DC-002- on 16.12.2008 at 15:08

Whenever I play this its when I have nothing to do or are waiting for something. I don't even play by the rules. All my friends and I do is one makes up the current location and whats happening and I say what I do based on what he tells me. No board game or anything else like that. I don't even know if that qualifies as D&D but that's what we call it

Thats just plain old roleplaying, and my friends and I do it a lot too

DnD at its most basic is a combination of that and miniature games like warhammer.
----

09.01.2009 - 20:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Hrothdane on 16.12.2008 at 13:25

I thought I would resurrect this topic by asking what extra things people may like to do to add to the game. For me and my gaming group, my one friend took a piece of posterboard, a wood block, and some clothes pins with each person's name on it and made an initiative tracker. Another thing we do is I made a scale map out of legos that I can add scenery to and everyone uses legos as miniatures. People still get distracted when it isn't their turn, but they are playing with the map so its not so bad

I like that idea. Besides our huge battle map and dozens of mini characters I like to use a white board and dry erase markers to for initiatives during battle. I just make a list of who goes in what order and then cross off the name once a character is killed. Also, I love drawing blood splatter on the map with a red dry erase after a character dies there.

Do Legos work well for settings? I always draw a on my battle map to show the area. Currently I have a 3 x 4 foot laminated map, but I am making a gaming table that will probably be 10 x 5 foot, or so.
----
(space for rent)
09.01.2009 - 21:06
Hellkommando
I played many years ago and played for a fair while, I have been meaning to get back into it but hard to find the time and people to play with, but I miss my bard, lol.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
10.01.2009 - 22:14
Hrothdane
Written by Dane Train on 09.01.2009 at 20:18

Written by Hrothdane on 16.12.2008 at 13:25

I like that idea. Besides our huge battle map and dozens of mini characters I like to use a white board and dry erase markers to for initiatives during battle. I just make a list of who goes in what order and then cross off the name once a character is killed. Also, I love drawing blood splatter on the map with a red dry erase after a character dies there.

Do Legos work well for settings? I always draw a on my battle map to show the area. Currently I have a 3 x 4 foot laminated map, but I am making a gaming table that will probably be 10 x 5 foot, or so.

Legos work ok, the problem is making a map out of legos with to-scale squares. The squares on the map i have now are only 2x2, which means we have some difficulties with crowding. As far as making the terrain, I just use lego blocks. I'm going to try turning it into 4x4 squares, but that might end up being REALLY big and not portable enough. I already have to carry my laptop, almost all my books, and the pieces for map terrain >_<

One nice thing about using legos is that people have fun customizing their little plastic avatars, and when people get distracted while waiting for their turn, they play with the map instead of talking (I have a very disorganized group).

I actually would prefer having a laminated map to the legos, but I don't know where to get one.

I'm curious if you happen to have someone in your group that seems to be one of those "spotlight hogs" and/or someone who is the opposite and doesn't do enough. If you have any strategies for dealing with those types of people, I would be most appreciative.
----

12.01.2009 - 00:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Hrothdane on 10.01.2009 at 22:14

I actually would prefer having a laminated map to the legos, but I don't know where to get one.

The one my crew has was bought by my friend Steve at our local game shop. Unfortunately it closed last month and now we have to order our stuff online. But as for a map, I found one very similar to what we use;a Double-Sided MegaMat. One thing I will warn you about is not leaving the dry erase colors on it for long periods of time because they will soak through the laminate and stain the map.

Written by Hrothdane on 10.01.2009 at 22:14

I'm curious if you happen to have someone in your group that seems to be one of those "spotlight hogs" and/or someone who is the opposite and doesn't do enough. If you have any strategies for dealing with those types of people, I would be most appreciative.

The group I currently game with is pretty free of those types, but I have had to deal with people like that before. The first group I started gaming with years ago when I lived in New York had not one, not two...but three people who were "Spotlight Hogs" and one person who wouldn't do a thing. For my little egomaniacs I would give them all a fair and equal chance at doing something but cut them off if I felt like they were taking over too much. For a while they needed to be reminded constantly that this is a group effort and everyone needs a chance to do something. There were a few times I really just had to put my foot down and tell them to stop hogging all the spotlight. This crew was also inclined to have non-game side conversations if their character wasn't doing anything at that exact moment, which caused me to inform them that they were being rude and other people were quiet while their characters were doing stuff.

As a DM just really have to be firm sometimes. If you let your players walk all over you, you loose your "power" over the game. Remember it is a game and there are rules and you're the official. Do you have the Dungeons Master's Guide 4.0 yet? If not, I highly recommend it because there is a whole section the different types of players and how to handle them.
----
(space for rent)
10.04.2009 - 00:32
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Dave Arneson, the man who first created the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game alongside Gary Gygax, passed Tuesday night, his family announced via email.
It may not directly relate to the world of electronic videogames, but it's impossible to ignore the influence Arneson's work has had on the gaming developers we all hold so dear.
Not only did D&D force gamers to think creatively and reason their way to safety, it's also the single greatest source of high fantasy creatures and ideas since Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien. I attempted to come up with any fantasy title that doesn't somehow lift from D&D, and after 20 minutes of contemplation, I'm still drawing a blank.
Sadly, this news follows the passing of Gary Gygax in 2008.

We offer our greatest condolences to Arneson's family and loved ones, and would like to thank the man for making the world a much more interesting place during his time here.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/04/dungeons-dragon.html
----
(space for rent)
10.04.2009 - 01:57
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Learned that today too (with the latest Order of the Stick).

RIP and thanks. Let's respect one round of silence, then let the dices roll in honor.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
20.05.2009 - 07:55
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by Dane Train on 10.04.2009 at 00:32

Dave Arneson, the man who first created the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game alongside Gary Gygax, passed Tuesday night, his family announced via email.
It may not directly relate to the world of electronic videogames, but it's impossible to ignore the influence Arneson's work has had on the gaming developers we all hold so dear.
Not only did D&D force gamers to think creatively and reason their way to safety, it's also the single greatest source of high fantasy creatures and ideas since Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien. I attempted to come up with any fantasy title that doesn't somehow lift from D&D, and after 20 minutes of contemplation, I'm still drawing a blank.
Sadly, this news follows the passing of Gary Gygax in 2008.

We offer our greatest condolences to Arneson's family and loved ones, and would like to thank the man for making the world a much more interesting place during his time here.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/04/dungeons-dragon.html

Vast Equilibrium ?
----