N/A
Band: Decayor
Album: Re-Occuring Times Of Grief
Release date: 2010

01. Stir Of Echoes
02. Veil Of Despair
03. The Sacred Heart Is Bleeding
04. Weeping Willows

Pauric Gallagher is officially the new Mourning Beloveth but his first main combo is Decayor and when I listen to his first EP, Re-Occuring Times Of Grief, I understand why the guys hired him for the job. If you like Mourning Beloveth, you'll love this EP because the bands are just cousins, they both play the same kind of great Doom Death Metal, slow, dark, violent but always melodic and with classy songs. Mourning Beloveth is the reference from the Irish Doom Metal scene but Decayor should follow their steps really soon?

Re-Occuring Times Of Grief is a nice introduction to know Decayor. Sure the band haven't released yet its first album but this EP already sounds promising and I'm sure that we will have good surprised with them soon. Obviously, I cannot avoid the comparison with Mourning Beloveth but these bands seems to be like brothers with the same kind of spirit and same kind of music. Decayor plays classy Doom Death Metal ,the riffs are slow but the songs always feature nice catchy melodies and even if we only have three real songs to have an opinion on this release, this is more than enough to understand that we're in front of a nice band. Though, the main difference between Decayor and Mourning Beloveth come from the vocals. Here we don't have any clean ones but Death Metal ones and even sometime some ones which clearly sound Black Metal. It's cool, a bit "different" and it fits perfectly to the music actually!

The EP remains long (30 mins) but it's just three songs as you know? I really hope that the first album will be out soon but I think that Decayor should be checked by all the Doom Metal fans, this is maybe not hyper "elitist" like some Doom Metal releases can be but it's easy of access and with good melodies. I think that Re-Occuring Times Of Grief can be recommended to people who likes old My Dying Bride for example like all the ones who like cold but Epic Doom from Ireland. This release is well produced and played, all the good things are already in this real first official release so?

I have a lot of hopes in the band and Re-Occuring Times Of Grief will probably convince you too. Sure, Decayor is clearly inspired by Mourning Beloveth but their music is cool and it's classy not boring and pompous Doom. You know what you'll have to do, check this release and if you like it (I'm sure of it), keep an eye on this new upcoming band, Doom Metal universe will talk about it soon!

Written by Jeff | 06.03.2010

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 92 users
06.03.2010 - 22:03
Thryce
Retired Staff
You had me at the second Mourning Beloveth.

Checked this EP out (the whole thing is streaming on their MySpace) - and it's really not that bad. Though, other than a few similarities and influences drawn from MB, I don't think both bands are that resembling - the comparison is too far-fetched imo. If Gallagher wouldn't be a member of MB, this would have been a whole other review.

Nice discovery nonetheless.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
06.03.2010 - 22:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Still have to check it out. I'd better ask Pauric Gallagher to bring a copy along to Roadburn so I can buy it off him.
Funny thing is that through circumstance I had a spare ticket left for Roadburn (they guy I had bought it for had to pull out) and the guy that bought it off me is... Pauric Gallagher.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.03.2010 - 00:45
I_Die_Often

I am not much for doom, but I gave the myspace tracks a listen, not bad!
Put it on my wishlist for further consideration.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
09.03.2010 - 03:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Listened to their myspace a lot lately...

And although I agree with the positiveness of this review, I disagree with the similarities you seem to hear between Decayor and Mourning Beloveth. I don't hear that at all. Yes, Pauric is now a member of MB but that's where the similarities end, imo. What I do hear here are similarities with very old (and in my books superior) Anathema and fellow Irishmen Graveyard Dirt.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2010 - 17:36
the prisoner

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2010 at 03:22

Listened to their myspace a lot lately...

And although I agree with the positiveness of this review, I disagree with the similarities you seem to hear between Decayor and Mourning Beloveth. I don't hear that at all. Yes, Pauric is now a member of MB but that's where the similarities end, imo. What I do hear here are similarities with very old (and in my books superior) Anathema and fellow Irishmen Graveyard Dirt.

Agree with you totally with hearing no similarities between Mourning Beloveth and Decayor. Again I agree with how they sound a like Graveyard Dirt. Pauric and Graveyard Dirt are actually from the same County in Ireland, so maybe thats why there is some similar traits between the two bands.

Hits total: 3168 | This month: 6