AFM Records

Line-up on the CD:
Christian Älvestam - vocals
Tom Gardiner - guitars
Jani Stefanovic - guitars
Anders Edlund - bass
Mikko Härkin - keyboards
Rolf Pilve - drums

Torchbearer, Miseration, Incapacity, The Few Against Many, formerly Scar Symmetry, and now Solution .45. Needless to say, Christian Älvestam is obviously a very busy man.

Read more ››
published 04.08.2010 | Comments (57)

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 561 users
08.03.2010 - 20:59
Rating: 10
Westvann
This album gonna totally rock cant almost wait
21.03.2010 - 02:32
Rating: 8
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I agree this is going to be totally amazing!
29.03.2010 - 04:57
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
This album is gonna blow the shit out of the other "Gothenburg" albums this year. From what Ive heard so far its ridiculously epic.

EDIT: Just downloaded it, gonna listen to it now! Amped....I have a feeling Im going to pre-order it before the end of the evening hehe
30.03.2010 - 03:02
Archetype
Wow. What a fantastic album! The vocals are awesome as expected as is the guitar work and everything else in between. It's lived up to my own expectations and I'll be giving it another spin very soon.
30.03.2010 - 15:48
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
This album is a beast. Every single song is so amazing! The only thing I'm not completely happy about is that some of the solos on Clandestiny now are different and IMO not as epic sounding as before. After the dissapointing album from Scar Symmetry after Christian left this is definitely a relief that there will still be good shit out there for his mixed vocals.
01.04.2010 - 17:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
What genre is this?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.04.2010 - 14:15
Rating: 9
qui_killer
Melodic Death Metal.
06.04.2010 - 08:20
Wes
Wow,

Wonderful album, I love it. But it definately lacks in some areas which I'd like to write about. Many of the songs just sound like they threw together a lot of samples without the parts really being connected. In this way, the album feels at times like nothing more than a showcase for Christians vocal abilities, this not actually being a bad thing however. In other words, it feels like the vocals were written first, and then the rest of the instruments exist only to compliment it. In metal, this is generally not how music works, but somehow it is effective in a way with this band. I think Christian's voice is really beautiful here and everyone should check this out. It's definately on par with holographic universe, just different in what it concentrates on. There is also not a single weak song on this album, it's all good and very easy to listen to.

This album is hard to judge, but I love some of these songs and think the album rocks, i'd give it at least an 8 on here. Some of these songs are just amazing and powerful. I'd love to know what people who are unfamiliar with SS would think of this band as well as this album's general reception.

Someone asked just now what genre this is, but I find myself having a hard time answering that. It does not fit any other genre I can really think of, nor does it sound like anything I know. It's christian, and for this reason I think this album will be very sucessful among some. This album is seriously original and inspirational. Very very good album, just different. Go get it!
07.04.2010 - 20:36
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Wes on 06.04.2010 at 08:20

Wow,

Wonderful album, I love it. But it definately lacks in some areas which I'd like to write about. Many of the songs just sound like they threw together a lot of samples without the parts really being connected. In this way, the album feels at times like nothing more than a showcase for Christians vocal abilities, this not actually being a bad thing however. In other words, it feels like the vocals were written first, and then the rest of the instruments exist only to compliment it. In metal, this is generally not how music works, but somehow it is effective in a way with this band. I think Christian's voice is really beautiful here and everyone should check this out. It's definately on par with holographic universe, just different in what it concentrates on. There is also not a single weak song on this album, it's all good and very easy to listen to.

This album is hard to judge, but I love some of these songs and think the album rocks, i'd give it at least an 8 on here. Some of these songs are just amazing and powerful. I'd love to know what people who are unfamiliar with SS would think of this band as well as this album's general reception.

Someone asked just now what genre this is, but I find myself having a hard time answering that. It does not fit any other genre I can really think of, nor does it sound like anything I know. It's christian, and for this reason I think this album will be very sucessful among some. This album is seriously original and inspirational. Very very good album, just different. Go get it!
I think I'll rate it a 9. Genre wise, I would think Gothenburg? (or some may call it modern metal) Though I entirely agree with you I feel like there's definitely sth going on in the originality department. I really did think Scar Symmetry's "Dark Matter Dimensions" was great even though Christian left. But now after listening to this I just realised how important he was to the band. Awesome album indeed
----
loves 小巫
08.04.2010 - 02:15
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
The official trailer for For Aeons Past was posted online today at the AFM-Records' Youtube Channel [Link].
09.04.2010 - 00:10
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The best album of 2010 hands-down. The vocal melodies are a cut above anything Ive heard in metal, period. Its definitely a very vocal driven album, but dont for a second think that they've skimmed on the other instruments. The 8-string guitars which pops up now and then are amazing, gives the album an even more HUGE feel with clever time changes and a meshuggah-esque feel. The soloing is incredible, the drumming is awesome and the subtleties brought in with the drumming makes it even better.

Overall a really great album, every single song on this album is a winner - not even mentioning the epic "Clandestiny Now" at 16 minutes! Freekin OPUS! And the bonus tracks is also seriously good. Its seriously been YEARS since Ive heard an album where every song is a 10!

But man Alvestam can sing...I thought he was amazing on SS, but he just blew my socks off this time - he has one of the best, if not THE best clean vocal/growl combo in all of metal.
12.04.2010 - 17:11
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Guest on 09.04.2010 at 00:10

The best album of 2010 hands-down

Agreed!
15.04.2010 - 08:51
Wes
This album is too good, my opinion of it just get's better and better.
15.04.2010 - 20:42
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
What kind of jerk wad would rate this album 1. Even if this is not your type of music there is no way it could be classified as the "worst ever" as the rating would suggest. This is an awesome melodeath album and if you don't like melodeath you shouldn't be going around rating albums in genres you don't like.
15.04.2010 - 21:05
Mikyz
This album is solely driven by Alvestam's vocal prowess, the other musicians however pale in comparison. The only song they did shine on was Clandestinity Now. And I'm always getting this "I heard it already feeling" every time I listen to one of Christian's projects. But all in all this album is good a shy 8/10 and it would be nice to see what they are able to come up with in the future. + I eagerly await the new Torchbearer release (one of his numerous projects) Warnaments was very enjoyable.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
16.04.2010 - 10:30
Irinel
Wonderful !
17.04.2010 - 19:17
calebSA
Why Mikko left?
18.04.2010 - 11:46
Wes
Hope more people check this album out, it just gets better and better upon more listens. I love it!
20.04.2010 - 06:11
Rating: 7
Bleak_Advent
Can't get Through Night-Kingdomed Gates out of my head.
21.04.2010 - 21:02
╠╣
Account deleted
The album is full of energy and each musician delivers a spectacular performance - there was not one moment during the 60 minutes + I felt bored or unmoved!
28.04.2010 - 19:34
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Pity that one fucktard gave it 2/10....pretty sure he didnt even listen to the album. Because if he did Im pretty sure his rating would be better. I mean seriously....9/10 for new Eluveitie and 2/10 for this? come on...
29.04.2010 - 12:57
╠╣
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.04.2010 at 19:34

Pity that one fucktard gave it 2/10....pretty sure he didnt even listen to the album. Because if he did Im pretty sure his rating would be better. I mean seriously....9/10 for new Eluveitie and 2/10 for this? come on...

It is real unfortunate to view these ratings - based on what 'grabbed' you and what did not. I won't compare bands on here, but it's definitely 'interesting' to see what people view as brilliant and what as pure shit, we all have our different opinions... but let's be honest, for an album to be brilliant it has to deliver something full of energy and refreshing and for it to be pure shit it really has to be so badly written, produced or performed that you view it as shit.

I know (a lot of) people are rating bands to get them on/ off the Top 20 etc - but let's be mature and realistic about this. You don't have to like this particular record to give it a 7/8+ but anything below 7 is just nonsense.
29.04.2010 - 20:17
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 29.04.2010 at 12:57

Written by Guest on 28.04.2010 at 19:34

It is real unfortunate to view these ratings - based on what 'grabbed' you and what did not. I won't compare bands on here, but it's definitely 'interesting' to see what people view as brilliant and what as pure shit, we all have our different opinions... but let's be honest, for an album to be brilliant it has to deliver something full of energy and refreshing and for it to be pure shit it really has to be so badly written, produced or performed that you view it as shit.

I know (a lot of) people are rating bands to get them on/ off the Top 20 etc - but let's be mature and realistic about this. You don't have to like this particular record to give it a 7/8+ but anything below 7 is just nonsense.

the way i see it if a band PLAYS metal its automatically 5/10 due to style. i mean brittany spears would be a 1 or 2 ...nickelback, a 3 or 4. so i wonder what these guys who rate decent albums a 1 or 2 think about that kind of voting theory. even the worst metal is still metal, although i guess you could argue that its bad to hear a crappy interpretation of youre favorite style of music, but im not in that type of thinking. i rate these metal release against ALL MUSIC, not just METAL.
04.05.2010 - 02:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
There's good metal and there's bad metal, just like there's good pop and bad pop. This album is somewhere in the middle. Decent in the execution, but nothing new. I personally regard it as a Holographic Universe Lite - exactly the same ingredients, but not as creative and catchy. And I absolutely cannot understand why everyone totally goes apeshit about it.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
05.05.2010 - 18:01
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Promonex on 04.05.2010 at 02:26

There's good metal and there's bad metal, just like there's good pop and bad pop. This album is somewhere in the middle. Decent in the execution, but nothing new. I personally regard it as a Holographic Universe Lite - exactly the same ingredients, but not as creative and catchy. And I absolutely cannot understand why everyone totally goes apeshit about it.

I think its just because the new Scar symmetry album was total shit (imo at least) and this is the first music put out by Christian thats similar to Scar Symmetry.
05.05.2010 - 19:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

Oh so you are one of those people who dont think vocals can be catchy? Dont you perhaps think the difference and creative beauty of this album lies in exactly that? Its one of the best vocal performances Ive heard in years and the combination with this and the instruments is what makes this album epic. The song "Clandestinity Now" alone is more epic and catchy than the entire Holographic Universe so thats why some of us go apeshit about it.

And lastly I find it funny how people always use the "nothing new" fallback. This band was never going to reinvent the genre...show me one band who is doing something completely new in this style of metal, you wont find it. Are you going to condemn every band in a stagnant genre? What makes this album as good as many think is the shift in where the epicness is coming from and the drumming and soloing pretty much puts Scar Symmetry to shame...

I for one love this album because every now and then I just want to sing my lungs out to the best vocal melodies written in the genre's history. Call it a bold statement, but thats my reason for liking it so much.
05.05.2010 - 19:50
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Guest on 05.05.2010 at 19:26

Oh so you are one of those people who dont think vocals can be catchy? Dont you perhaps think the difference and creative beauty of this album lies in exactly that? Its one of the best vocal performances Ive heard in years and the combination with this and the instruments is what makes this album epic. The song "Clandestinity Now" alone is more epic and catchy than the entire Holographic Universe so thats why some of us go apeshit about it.

If you're going to quote me, quote me properly. I've never said the vocals wouldn't be catchy. They definitely are catchy, just like they were on "Holographic Universe". And "Clandestinity Now" is an awesome song, I'll give you that, but one awesome song doesn't make an awesome album. Just as much as one great musician doesn't make a great band. Sorry, but I'd take my "Quantumleaper" or "Missing Coordinates" over this any day.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
06.05.2010 - 20:27
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

..one awesome song doesn't make an awesome album. Just as much as one great musician doesn't make a great band.

Of course not, but imo its not the only good song, and by no means even close to the best song on the album. I agree Holographic Universe had some epic choruses and in general is a very good album, one of my favourites but I just dont see it as epic. At the time I thought "man this cant get any better" and then S45 raised the bar.

Regarding the "one great musician doesn't make a great band" I think thats a bit unfair. He is obviously the most well known musician in the band, by quite a long stretch and he's got a reputation of being a seriously versatile vocalist. So its a bit of a shame that the rest of the band are inevitably going to be overlooked. Just to clear it up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBjbPs80RwE) their guitarist seems to be pretty good for someone who isnt that great.
11.05.2010 - 10:59
elseif
I prefer Holographic Universe, but this is a good album.
07.06.2010 - 01:59
╠╣
Account deleted
Holographic Universe and For Aeons Past are brilliant in their own right - can't compare the two, just because of the vocals (because the songs are not the same at all). If you like Scar Symmetry go listen to them instead - as much as I like their first three records, this album by Solution .45 has a lot more catchy tunes on it.

Hits total: 15108 | This month: 16