Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Staff Picks Revealed!

Well, it is one week after your winners of the 2009 Metal Storm Awards were unveiled? you know what that means. It's time that we, the Metal Storm Staff, post up our winners.

We'd like to thank all the nominated bands for their efforts last year. There was a lot of good metal that we were able to enjoy. We spent the month of February listening to the nominees again and conducting our own polls. Some were runaway favorites whereas other genres had such tight competition that we required run-offs to determine a winner.

So we cordially invite you to tell us just how little we know about metal, how much our picks suck (or don't, if your tastes are similarly aligned)? you can do so here.

CategoryPick
Alternative Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Atmospheric/Symphonic Madder Mortem - Eight Ways
Black Deströyer 666 - Defiance
Death Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
Doom Process Of Guilt - Erosion
Extreme Doom Colosseum - Numquam
Gothic Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
Grindcore Brutal Truth - Evolution Through Revolution
Hard Rock Hardcore Superstar - Beg For It
Heavy 3 Inches Of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom
Melodeath/Gothenburg Insomnium - Across The Dark
Metalcore Converge - Axe To Fall
Pagan/Viking/Folk Finsterforst - ...Zum Tode Hin
Post-Metal/Avantgarde Sólstafir - Köld
Power Sonata Arctica - The Days Of Grays
Progressive Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
Sludge Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs
Thrash Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Cover song Leaves' Eyes - Scarborough Fair (Traditional English song)
Debut album Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Posted: 09.03.2010 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 730 users
08.03.2010 - 23:08
BlankFile

Nice pick in the Power Metal category by the staff of Metal Storm. Sonata Arctica´s The Days of Grays was really a great release and certainly the best in that genre in 2009! Stay Metal
08.03.2010 - 23:09
Sjuk
Lord Of Jörg
Arkona didn't win the best Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal... I'm so sad
08.03.2010 - 23:23
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Great picks! m/ I'm glad Paradise Lost won the staff awards since it didn't get the public one!
08.03.2010 - 23:33
Ragana
Rawrcat
Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all. I don't know anything about power metal although I've heard the latest release of Sonata Arctica, but what I know for sure is that the Staff picked the best cover song (because of the performance, not the band itself or the album which indeed wasn't that great).

Uh, what I REALLY want to hear is Sólstafir's "Köld"... and for a looong, loooong time.
08.03.2010 - 23:48
replica of me

Written by BlankFile on 08.03.2010 at 23:08

Nice pick in the Power Metal category by the staff of Metal Storm. Sonata Arctica´s The Days of Grays was really a great release and certainly the best in that genre in 2009! Stay Metal

IMO it was a horrible pick. This record has almost nothing to do with Power Metal. There were numerous albums that were much much better.
09.03.2010 - 00:18
shadowdragonfly1

Great picks by the staff, definitely all albums are worth listening to. I only disagree in the progressive metal pic, im a big prog fan and I had a difficult choosing, but the great misdirect isn't better than anno domini HD or even DT's album.

And also, great call on finsterforst, it is one of my favorite albums of 2009
09.03.2010 - 00:21
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Nice pick on Hardcore Superstar....and Crack the Skye.......thgats all i have to say.
09.03.2010 - 00:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Hardcore superstar
sonata arctica
09.03.2010 - 01:03
MeloDeathViking

Glad to see BtBAM got some love here
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
09.03.2010 - 01:03
silenius

Finsterforst!
09.03.2010 - 01:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Worst place!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.03.2010 - 01:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 09.03.2010 at 01:08

Worst place!

me no understand
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2010 - 01:44
ß
Problem?
I sure prefer these picks over the current ones.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
09.03.2010 - 02:48
Odium

Best Black Metal for Deströyer? Come on...you guys can do better...
09.03.2010 - 02:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Odium on 09.03.2010 at 02:48

Best Black Metal for Deströyer? Come on...you guys can do better...

At least it's better than the users' pick

My favourites I discovered too late to try and get them in the staff nominations (Altar Of Plagues, Cobalt) But from the nominations I certainly went for Wolves In The Throne Room (guess it's not that surprising seeing which two releases I REALLY enjoyed last year)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2010 - 04:07
thesabbathfan

Warbringer is overrated as shit imo
----
09.03.2010 - 04:50
Nacur

Some of the pics were very nice...but... I have to say something about the Post/Avant-Garde, the first thing is that they should not be together...since they are pretty different. The second one is, Sólstafir's album was good, don't know if better than DSO, and could win the Avant-Garde. But considering the post metal bands...man, Sólstafir does not deserve it. =/

Hope next year we have different categories for this genres.
09.03.2010 - 05:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by thesabbathfan on 09.03.2010 at 04:07

same could easily be said for the Megadeth album that racked up over 400 votes.

As for Warbringer, have you seen them live? they were fantastic. i went to see Vader and a couple other bands, but walked out with Warbringer merch... they won me over.

____

as for black metal, tbh, it wasn't my top choice. Cobalt, which too few of us were able to check out in time, which i have already stated is my biggest regret of the entire process this year, and Oranssi Pazuzu were my top choices. but i'll take D666 over Immortal for '09.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.03.2010 - 05:24
thesabbathfan

Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 05:13

Written by thesabbathfan on 09.03.2010 at 04:07

same could easily be said for the Megadeth album that racked up over 400 votes.

As for Warbringer, have you seen them live? they were fantastic. i went to see Vader and a couple other bands, but walked out with Warbringer merch... they won me over.

____

as for black metal, tbh, it wasn't my top choice. Cobalt, which too few of us were able to check out in time, which i have already stated is my biggest regret of the entire process this year, and Oranssi Pazuzu were my top choices. but i'll take D666 over Immortal for '09.

yeah i saw them on Kreator's Hordes of Chaos tour. they have good stage presence and are talented for sure, but their music is just all style no substance...
----
09.03.2010 - 05:28
opeth771

Redemption could easily have won the progressive metal award ever though I absolutely love BTBAM
09.03.2010 - 06:25
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I agree with the Warbringer choice, Asphyx and Process Of Guilt are ok, about the others, well, no comments.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.03.2010 - 06:53
Biedrik

I love the thrash pick. I usually find that the staff picks are better than the voted ones, as those tend to just go to the most popular release, not the best one.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
09.03.2010 - 07:23
blackwreath

Defiance was definitely a better album than All Shall Fall but I still regret the lack of Marduk's presence, Wormwood was great step for the band and the best BM album of 09 that I heard for sure.
09.03.2010 - 08:14
oroboros

Now this is a gud list...thank god Insomnium won..wonder who all voted for it???
09.03.2010 - 09:00
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Nacur on 09.03.2010 at 04:50

Some of the pics were very nice...but... I have to say something about the Post/Avant-Garde, the first thing is that they should not be together...since they are pretty different. The second one is, Sólstafir's album was good, don't know if better than DSO, and could win the Avant-Garde. But considering the post metal bands...man, Sólstafir does not deserve it. =/

Hope next year we have different categories for this genres.

Well we did have them separated but there weren't nearly enough Avantgarde releases so we combined it with the Post Metal category (the closest fit). A few of the nominees combine the styles in some way too so it wasn't too bad.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
09.03.2010 - 09:09
In Bone Factory

Finsterforst was a great choice but Sonata Arctica.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
09.03.2010 - 09:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 08.03.2010 at 23:33

Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all.

You're mainstream

I do feel like I belong here since in the awards only two categories where I voted won [Metalcore and Post/avantgarde] but here I agreed with 5 votes in Metalcore, Atmospheric/Symphonic, Doom, Grindcore and best debut album. And also some of the albums that the staff choosed were in the second or third place imo, like in the death and extreme doom category.

So yeah, this is way better than the awards, I'm glad that Oranssi Pazuzu got something, because they sure kick ass.

I don't know shit about the power categories since I didn't vote for it... But Sonata Arctica?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.03.2010 - 10:50
Acolyt#1

I agree with the debut album pick. Delightfully original
09.03.2010 - 11:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Interesting picks.