Metal Storm logo
Edguy

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 16:55
What do you think of Edguy? The band are getting increasingly more popular and are a current favourite of mine as of late. My favourite album is Hellfire Club, probably followed by Mandrake and my favourite all time song for this band is 'Mysteria'. Tobias Sammet's vocals are off the scale in this track and there's a nice emotional guitar solo in it.

Anyhow, feel free to post yours thoughts on the band here.
06.10.2009 - 00:59
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.10.2009 at 00:27

Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.10.2009 at 06:01

As most bands are doing these days, they appear to be appealing to a wider audience (aka mainstreaming). So many of my favourite bands are heading this way. How many bands that i once called Power Metal, do i now label as Hard Rock, Glam Rock or Heavy Metal? I still call bands like Edguy as Power Metal, because im used to it, but really, they are not anymore from the last two albums.

That's what makes me say that Power/speed metal is almost entirely dead nowadays.

Yeh, so true, its all hybridizing genres now, too many have ventured too far from the metal scene. Sometimes it can be a good thing, something different never hurt once in awhile. But its a huge trend.
06.10.2009 - 01:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Listen to new Within Temptation and then tell me it current Edguy are that mainstream and "bad"...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.10.2009 - 01:44
Lord_Regnier

Written by Ellrohir on 06.10.2009 at 01:31

Listen to new Within Temptation and then tell me it current Edguy are that mainstream and "bad"...

It's different Ellrohir. Within Temptation have never been PM, as far as I know. They didn't start as a PM band and then changed completely, turning suddenly to something completely commercial, like Edguy did.

Edguy being bad or not can be a matter of tastes, we could say. But you can't deny that their music is totally oriented to get the attention of the mainstream audience now.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.10.2009 - 02:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes, it is very different...WT didnt started like power metal, they started like gothic metal...thats the difference...
----

06.10.2009 - 13:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 06.10.2009 at 02:46

Yes, it is very different...WT didnt started like power metal, they started like gothic metal...thats the difference...

What is it with you people... Within Temptation were never Gothic Metal. Just like Epica aren't Gothic Metal and After Forever were never Gothic Metal. There is totally no gothic in their sound. WT started of a symphonic metal band with still some death metal influences in it and developed into totally symphonic pop metal.
You can however compare Edguy's evolution to that of WT's... both went for a sound which is much easier on the ears of the mainstream public. And actually targetted at gaining acceptance by the mainstream and thus forsaking their old fanbase.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2009 - 15:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Stop messing with me and look at WT's profile here on MS instead...i usually cant differ between genres too well, so i looked for help here...seems it wasnt useful too

but anyway i stand out for fact, that Edguy doesnt sound that shitty mainstream as WT...maybe songs like Ministry Of Saints or Dragonfly arent "power metal enough", but still i never heard such a song from pop-rock bands (show me any if i am wrong)...but i already heard many crappy poppy songs like Utopia...
----

07.10.2009 - 03:10
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2009 at 13:49

Written by Ellrohir on 06.10.2009 at 02:46

What is it with you people... Within Temptation were never Gothic Metal. Just like Epica aren't Gothic Metal and After Forever were never Gothic Metal. There is totally no gothic in their sound. WT started of a symphonic metal band with still some death metal influences in it and developed into totally symphonic pop metal.
You can however compare Edguy's evolution to that of WT's... both went for a sound which is much easier on the ears of the mainstream public. And actually targetted at gaining acceptance by the mainstream and thus forsaking their old fanbase.

Because Marcel, anything with a Soprano-like female vocalist is gothic! You didnt know that?
07.10.2009 - 03:23
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Ellrohir on 06.10.2009 at 15:09

Stop messing with me and look at WT's profile here on MS instead...i usually cant differ between genres too well, so i looked for help here...seems it wasnt useful too

I do believe that that album Enter has Gothic elements on some songs, some even very Tristania'ish like parts of 'Enter' or 'Gatekeeper'. But as a whole its mainly Symphonic or Atmospheric Metal.
16.03.2010 - 02:07
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Here are my all-time Top 10 european / melodic / neoclassical power metal albums - including Edguy's Mandrake => http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=83 - with a little description to each one.

OFF: I have a band called Mandara and I'm the keyboard player. Our style is very similar to these bands but I think it's unique at the same time. We are still recording our first 2 demos - planned to be released around May & August. The 1st one called "Meadow Of Dreams" contains 4 songs - Endless Night Momentary Dawn, Embrace My Dream, Hypocrite Reality and Holy Prophecy. I'll upload some stuff to myspace when we are ready - I hope you will enjoy my/our music!
Sorry for the adv!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
16.03.2010 - 11:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You already post this post 20 times in different topics...
----

16.03.2010 - 12:45
Lord_Regnier

Written by Ellrohir on 16.03.2010 at 11:01

Indeed. I don't know why this guy is doing this but it's foolish and annoying. Just like the other twit who posts "this album is glorious" in every fucking thread related to a PM album in the "Reviews" section. People like that should be banned.
----
16.03.2010 - 12:52
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS

Only 10 and this was the last topic. I posted in those topics of bands which are featured on my top 10 list. Sorry dudes.
----
I go"
16.03.2010 - 12:55
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.03.2010 at 12:45

Indeed. I don't know why this guy is doing this but it's foolish and annoying. Just like the other twit who posts "this album is glorious" in every fucking thread related to a PM album in the "Reviews" section. People like that should be banned.

Calm down, please. I don't like it too. For me this kind of things are also annoying. I've never done this yet, I've chosen only my 8 favourite power metal bands' topic + 2 another. Really sorry for it, man...
Anyway, you are from Rhapsody forum with the same name, aren't you?
----
I go"
16.03.2010 - 13:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I understand you want to promote your work, but well - imagine, that everyone would do this with his/her toplist...whole band-related topics will turn into pure mess...when you add album into any top-list, it appears in the album detail, i think it is sufficient enough for "promotion"...or if you want, write it somewhere, but once is enough...maybe we should have a separate topic where toplist should be discussed, what do you think?
----

16.03.2010 - 13:41
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Written by Ellrohir on 16.03.2010 at 13:04

I understand you want to promote your work, but well - imagine, that everyone would do this with his/her toplist...whole band-related topics will turn into pure mess...when you add album into any top-list, it appears in the album detail, i think it is sufficient enough for "promotion"...or if you want, write it somewhere, but once is enough...maybe we should have a separate topic where toplist should be discussed, what do you think?

You are right, man!
Yep, a separate topic would be a good idea. I support it!
----
I go"
16.03.2010 - 22:55
Lord_Regnier

Written by Kallis Helmi on 16.03.2010 at 12:55

Yes, I am. However, I don't care for Rhapsody and haven't listened to a single album from them in years. I'm still posting there because I have people I consider as friends on the board and because the forum is managed very well. I post almost only on the Other Bands section.

But I know no user by the name of Kallis Helmi there.
----
16.03.2010 - 23:41
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.03.2010 at 22:55

Written by Kallis Helmi on 16.03.2010 at 12:55

Yes, I am. However, I don't care for Rhapsody and haven't listened to a single album from them in years. I'm still posting there because I have people I consider as friends on the board and because the forum is managed very well. I post almost only on the Other Bands section.

But I know no user by the name of Kallis Helmi there.

Yes because I'm "szabigege" on ROF forum.
----
I go"
19.11.2011 - 12:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, I never thought I would find such deep lyrics like in "Tears of a Mandrake" in any power metal band's discography. And those guitars! What an amazing song all round!
20.11.2011 - 01:07
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Valentin B on 19.11.2011 at 12:57

Wow, I never thought I would find such deep lyrics like in "Tears of a Mandrake" in any power metal band's discography. And those guitars! What an amazing song all round!

After the storm, when the magic has gone....WE DROWN IN THE TEARS OF A MAAANDRAAKE!!!
I like the lyrics, but wouldn't call em deep....but then again youre prolly trollin', so....
20.11.2011 - 10:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by JÄY on 20.11.2011 at 01:07

After the storm, when the magic has gone....WE DROWN IN THE TEARS OF A MAAANDRAAKE!!!
I like the lyrics, but wouldn't call em deep....but then again youre prolly trollin', so....

Apparently everyone thinks everyone is a troll these days. Can't a man simply have an opinion? :

I'm not sure if it's a concept album, but the lyrics apply to some real life instances, like being manipulated by the regime you are in, who then tell you to "kill your brother by the blade they sell".
20.11.2011 - 10:40
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Valentin B on 20.11.2011 at 10:35

Apparently everyone thinks everyone is a troll these days. Can't a man simply have an opinion? :

I'm not sure if it's a concept album, but the lyrics apply to some real life instances, like being manipulated by the regime you are in, who then tell you to "kill your brother by the blade they sell".

...Nice try, troll. CANT FEWL ME
20.11.2011 - 12:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The lyrics in Tears Of A Mandrake are deep.
22.11.2011 - 11:35
ThatMetalRAdio

Omg...i totally forget about those guys...must get an album !
27.11.2011 - 04:02
NLthrasher

Written by ThatMetalRAdio on 22.11.2011 at 11:35

Be sure to get 'Mandrak' or 'Hellfire Club'. Those are definitely there best albums, there older albums are really good to.
25.12.2011 - 03:27
bj_waters

Written by NLthrasher on 27.11.2011 at 04:02

Written by ThatMetalRAdio on 22.11.2011 at 11:35

Be sure to get 'Mandrak' or 'Hellfire Club'. Those are definitely there best albums, there older albums are really good to.

I would argue that Theater of Salvation is just as good, if not better, than those two. However, Hellfire Club is probably their last GOOD album.

You see, I just listed to Age of the Joker today and I've finally come to the opinion that now Edguy just wants to be Europe or Def Leppard. Their last three albums really reflect this. Maybe Metal Storm should shift Edguy's genre definition to Pop Metal for '06 onward. Back in the hey-day of power metal, they put out some great records, but now they're just slipping down a different path. As uncomfortable as it makes me, I can't get angry about it, though. It's their decision and they've stuck to it. I have to respect that, but it really does bum me out.

You know, I really haven't found a whole lot of really good power metal from the last five or so years. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong bands (which reminds me, I should really give Avantasia a shot; I hear the stuff has been pretty consistently good), but I feel that Power Metal has really stumbled since about 2005. Stratovarius doesn't sound right anymore (Tolkki's a jerk, but not having him makes a difference to me), Nightwish wants to be Evanescence, Kamelot went Gothic Metal, and DragonForce and HammerFall haven't put out an album that doesn't make want to listen to their older stuff instead. The only stuff that I can think of that's really blown me away lately is Alestorm, Amberian Dawn, and PowerWorld. Am I not catching the right stuff or is Power Metal really falling apart?
25.12.2011 - 20:00
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by bj_waters on 25.12.2011 at 03:27

You know, I really haven't found a whole lot of really good power metal from the last five or so years.

Mostly, Just stop listening to the famous Euro-Power bands...they've gone downhill. Try Dark Empire's "Humanity Dethroned" album
25.12.2011 - 23:56
RavenKing

Written by bj_waters on 25.12.2011 at 03:27

You know, I really haven't found a whole lot of really good power metal from the last five or so years. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong bands (which reminds me, I should really give Avantasia a shot; I hear the stuff has been pretty consistently good), but I feel that Power Metal has really stumbled since about 2005. Stratovarius doesn't sound right anymore (Tolkki's a jerk, but not having him makes a difference to me), Nightwish wants to be Evanescence, Kamelot went Gothic Metal, and DragonForce and HammerFall haven't put out an album that doesn't make want to listen to their older stuff instead. The only stuff that I can think of that's really blown me away lately is Alestorm, Amberian Dawn, and PowerWorld. Am I not catching the right stuff or is Power Metal really falling apart?

I don't think it's only because you're listening to the wrong stuff. In my mind, the answer is quite simple: Powermetal started to take a really bad turn around the millenia. It only got worse year after year, so pretty much every new Powermetal album sucks donkey balls now.

It is near impossible to find new albums that feature the kind of thrashy melodic speed metal that Powermetal was originally (stuff like old Helloween, early Blind Guardian, Iron Angel, etc.). The good old melodic, based on aggressive riffing, speed metal has been replaced by some kind of popmetal in which riffing plays a very small part. Lots of bands are much closer to hard rock than speed metal nowadays.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.01.2013 - 07:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by JÄY on 20.11.2011 at 10:40

Written by Valentin B on 20.11.2011 at 10:35

...Nice try, troll. CANT FEWL ME

haha, in retrospective you actually counter-trolled me by saying I was trolling when in fact you were trolling and I didn't realize it.

But yeah I was serious, Tears is imo by far the best Edguy song and one of my top 10 favorite metal songs ever. Even my dad likes it
20.01.2013 - 13:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Rule no. 1 - never admit, you actually like Edguy
----