Metal Storm logo
Edguy

17.05.2006 - 16:55
Daru Jericho

What do you think of Edguy? The band are getting increasingly more popular and are a current favourite of mine as of late. My favourite album is Hellfire Club, probably followed by Mandrake and my favourite all time song for this band is 'Mysteria'. Tobias Sammet's vocals are off the scale in this track and there's a nice emotional guitar solo in it.

Anyhow, feel free to post yours thoughts on the band here.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.05.2006 - 16:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Very nice band, you get happy when you listen to them. They are catchy and melodical, a perfect combination. IMO they are the new Iron Maiden, think they have a similar sound.
----
17.05.2006 - 17:05
Geddysciple

I haven't heard Superheroes yet, and judging by the reviews, that shouldn't be a problem... though I won't judge it without hearing it.

For my part, I think Sammet's Avantasia is a stronger project than Edguy, but I dig them, and second your comment that Hellfire Club is their best work. What I like more about Edguy than their specific works is just their general attitude. It's way too easy to take your work too seriously or with your head inflated, and while Sammet's had his moments of egotism, the general lightheartedness of Edguy's ass-kicking is something I appreciate. They know how to rock, and how to rock seriously, but they're not above recording a song about joining the Mile High Club on a crashing jet.
17.05.2006 - 18:37
Vrana

I'm not power metal fan, but I really like this band. They are great, I really like the way he sings, I just get relaxed when I listen to them. But sometimes, I think that Avantasia are much better than Edguy.
17.05.2006 - 18:51
Milan
Account deleted
They are good band, but they are geting more and more comercial. I don't like that about metal bands.
17.05.2006 - 20:34
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Being commercial is not an issue for me, but with Edguy I don't like their musical style change. I know every band wants to progress and that is okay but the truth is that due the progression band will lose some fans and I guess I'm one of those when it comes to Edguy. I find pretty much everything they've made after Mandrake more or less lame, I mean not entirely bad just something missing, badly. If you listen i.e Vain Glory Opera and Hellfire Club in a row you'll know what I mean, I just like the old "epic" style more.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
17.05.2006 - 20:35
Demonizer

I really love Vain Glory Opera, Theatre of Salvation and Mandrake, but Rocket Ride hasn't lived up to my expectations... I hope they will return to their more classical power metal approach in the future
18.05.2006 - 22:35
GT
Coffee!!
I just learned about Edguy a week ago or so and haven't heard much of their work yet but the few tracks that I've manged to find have been great. Looking forward to getting to know them better in the future
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.05.2006 - 02:04
Daru Jericho

Yes, a lot of people were disappointed with Edguy's latest album, which I can imagine. As Angelique said, a change in style often results in a few fans not enjoying it. Personally, I like Edguy's new style but I will always love the older power metal orientated material more.

I'd recommend Rocket Ride to hard rock/heavy metal fans.
----

29.05.2006 - 18:20
kackbratze

Hm I liked their last album well enough, although "Hellfire Club" is imho better which I like best of all their stuff. In fact I like the stuff of them better the newer it is... But noone can deny that they sound quite cheesy at times... :p
30.05.2006 - 13:12
Baz Anderson

Edguy, one of my favorite bands as well
i would probably say 'Hellfire Club' was my favorite but it is very close with 'Theater Of Salvation' and 'Mandrake' behind
sometimes when i listen to them i just think they are the best, they are so good - just i havent listened to them in a while now

'Rocket Ride' is a good album
not as good as the three before it but its certainly different still good though
30.05.2006 - 16:57
danzig111
Account deleted
I think they are the most boring Heavy/Power Metal band i have ever heard! Like there's nothing special about them.....In Heavy/Power i look for a Gamma Ray / Hammerfall type ov sound, but Edguy sounds too much like "rockstar music", like they're nothing more than a band with catchy song structure and guitars, the drummer doesn't play fast enough.....i think they just want to be a hair band but because ov their age they're playing like "Neo-Glam" without the Glam image. Not techniqual or fast enough for me, i just don't find their music fun.
30.05.2006 - 17:59
GT
Coffee!!
I have now had a chance to listen to some more Edguy stuff since my first post. I still like the tracks I've heard...come to think about it not one have been bad. Favorites must be 'Mandrake' and 'All The Clowns'. Some of their stuff reminds me of Iron Maiden...just not quite as good.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.05.2006 - 20:27
Pierre Tombale

Imho the bands' best album was Mandrake, after that one the quality decreased, not much, but it did. I didn'n like the releases before Mandrake very much. Got to know the band from their promotion tour, when suddenly they played their songs in the local Media Markt. I have never heard of them before that day (back in 2001). I immediately bought the Mandrake album (because of the song The Devil And The Savant) and the guys signed it for me.
06.06.2006 - 07:35
TheKreator
Account deleted
good band...i can't say it's tromendous, but still they have sme good works...my favourite album is Kingdom of Madness
06.06.2006 - 09:26
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Edguy are a good band overall, they have weak material, but its bands like this that really keep genres like Power Metal alive.
I saw them live in 2004 and it was amazing, one of my favourite gigs, so entertaining.
06.06.2006 - 12:21
Cybertrash

Edguy has actually been a part of my life since I became more interessted in music in the late 90's. Back then it was a new band and the killer tune "Until We Rise Again" took me by storm. But I wasn't so fond of the rest of the material and except for the "Savage Poetry"-album which was re-released in 2000 I don't think the band has one album that are great from start to finish. Mandrake is pretty close, but Hellfire Club is imo packed with fillers.

In a time where power metal bands are as common as tears at a funeral you need to stick out from the bunch, and I don't think that Edguys music has what it takes to do that. Sammet is an amazing vocalist though and a good songwriter indeed, just look what he did with Avantasia, a project that kicks serious ass with his main band.
----
Dibbukim - Az a foygl un a goylem tantsn, out on GM Music April 25th!

http://www.dibbukim.com
06.06.2006 - 16:31
hottercraft

Edguy wash the first Power Metal bad which I listened, adn I loved them when I heard "The Headless Game". They are a nice group (Flower) Power Metal. Their best CD can be "Hellfire Club". but the first CD that I listened was "Theater Of Salvation", and I love it too. I would like to say that "Rocket Ride" is a great CD, because their sound have changed (but they haven't changed a lot, listen "Out Of Vogue"). It can be listened without problems, if you like Edguy, you must like "Rocket Ride"
Best songs: "Deadmaker", "Vain Glory Opera", "Tears Of The Mandrake", "The Headless Game", "Mysteria", "King Of Fools", "Out Of Vogue", "Jerusalem", "Key To My Fate"
07.06.2006 - 03:52
danzig111
Account deleted
I take back what i said about the drummer, he does play fast enough in some ov their songs, but they still don't do much for me as a band though....so sorry.
07.06.2006 - 19:39
Judas
The Amputator
Those who say that Edguy bring nothing new to the genre of Power Metal are totally correct, but hey, who needs anything new when you can execute classic sounds with such awesomeness? They have every ingredient necessary, and they use everything they've got to perfection. Innovation is not required when it's done so well. My favourite album would be "Hellfire Club" at the moment (it was "Vain Glory Opera" not too long ago), and favourite songs have got to be "Mysteria", "We Don't Need A Hero", "Down to the Devil", "Vain Glory Opera" and "Babylon".
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.06.2006 - 23:01
Infurnace

Edguy is a great band. They actually got me into Metal. When I first heard them, I thought "Wow, I like this music", so it got me deeper into the World of Metal music. Never seen them live yet.
29.07.2006 - 23:37
Pyro
Account deleted
They're an amazing band. Haven't heard the new album "Rocket Ride" yet, but I've heard some people saying it's only an average album. I like pretty much all Edguy material, but as someone said, the first albums are weak. I'm glad they re-released Savage Poetry. My fav album is "Mandrake", and my fav song has to be "Pharaoh". Anyway, it's sad the band is focusing lately on releasing more "pop" material.
29.07.2006 - 23:48
Daru Jericho

Written by Guest on 29.07.2006 at 23:37

They're an amazing band. Haven't heard the new album "Rocket Ride" yet, but I've heard some people saying it's only an average album. I like pretty much all Edguy material, but as someone said, the first albums are weak. I'm glad they re-released Savage Circus. My fav album is "Mandrake", and my fav song has to be "Pharaoh". Anyway, it's sad the band is focusing lately on releasing more "pop" material.

Savage Circus? I'm sure you mean Savage Poerty

I wouldn'tsay they stuf was getting more 'pop' either. I'd say hard rock and I think the band have certified this themselves.
----

30.07.2006 - 00:14
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 29.07.2006 at 23:48

Written by Guest on 29.07.2006 at 23:37

They're an amazing band. Haven't heard the new album "Rocket Ride" yet, but I've heard some people saying it's only an average album. I like pretty much all Edguy material, but as someone said, the first albums are weak. I'm glad they re-released Savage Circus. My fav album is "Mandrake", and my fav song has to be "Pharaoh". Anyway, it's sad the band is focusing lately on releasing more "pop" material.

Savage Circus? I'm sure you mean Savage Poerty

I wouldn'tsay they stuf was getting more 'pop' either. I'd say hard rock and I think the band have certified this themselves.

Why the hell did I wrote Savage Circus? Edited. Thx for making me notice.

I didn't meant to say "pop" as in "pop music". What I tried to say was 'pop' as in popular. And it's true that Edguy is a recurrent band in the "popular" charts, with songs like Superheroes, or King of Fools. And, as I said I haven't heard Rocket Ride, but I read somewhere it has several tracks like the "popular" ones I mentioned.
30.07.2006 - 00:26
Daru Jericho

Aaah, popular. Yeah, I'll agree with you there. The new sound is more accessible.
----

30.07.2006 - 03:56
Pyro
Account deleted
And more accessible is not necesarily a bad thing. What is sad is that it feels like Tobi is selling out, like In Flames did.
30.07.2006 - 07:22
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Favorite ones (in order):

1. Theater of salvation. Symphonic and beaytiful one, with great solos and drums (favorite songs: Babylon, land of the miracle, arrows fly, wake up the king, for the trace of life, falling down, theater of salvation)
2. Savage poetry. The first masterpiece of tobias sammet and his compas (favorite songs: Misguiding your life, eyes of the tyrant, sacred hell, roses to no one, frosen candle)
3. Rocket ride. The last album is more directed to the hard heavy, is my third because i love many songs, a change in every band is good. (favorites songs: Rocket ride, catch of the century, Trinidad, Return to the tribe)
4. Hellfire club. This work change in everything to Edguy, from power metal (with symphonic structures) to heavy-power. (favorite songs: We don't need a hero, lavatory love machine, Children of steel)
5. Vain Glory Opera. Awesome with timo and (master) Hansi, a great work, almost avantasian hehe. (favorite songs: Vain glory opera, Until we raise again, Out of control).
30.07.2006 - 12:17
Vrana

I saw the alive a week ago and I was VERY disapointed. i mean...ok, they had a great show, I like Tobias very much, but.... it was all so quick, that didn't play many songs...ok, they made a good atmosphere, but at the and I was like: "What?! That's all? What the fu**?!" I really expected much more from them, I was so happy to see them alive, but it didn't turn out like I thought it's going to be...
Also, when I listened to their last album, they didn't made good inpresion on me... maybe they need a break.
31.07.2006 - 02:27
Daru Jericho

Written by Guest on 30.07.2006 at 03:56

And more accessible is not necesarily a bad thing. What is sad is that it feels like Tobi is selling out, like In Flames did.

How so?
----

31.07.2006 - 03:59
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
mmm i think sammet is selling to the hard rock way and making edguy music more for people who not likes metal at all, in flames sold out, but is still kicking ass! and edguy new sound is directed to that way, i think they seriously kick asses with the new album. Is the problem of every band, always comparing to their past works! c'mon, is new edguy, it dislikes to many, and it likes to many others!