Metal Storm logo
Edguy

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 16:55
What do you think of Edguy? The band are getting increasingly more popular and are a current favourite of mine as of late. My favourite album is Hellfire Club, probably followed by Mandrake and my favourite all time song for this band is 'Mysteria'. Tobias Sammet's vocals are off the scale in this track and there's a nice emotional guitar solo in it.

Anyhow, feel free to post yours thoughts on the band here.
19.02.2008 - 04:16
iaberis
Advice Troll
I can't wait to see them playing here this March! Less than a month of waiting!
I hope they're good live. I've been listening to them for quite long now... I don't want to be dissatisfied by their performance?
Has any of you seen them in a show? Are they as good as in their albums?
----
Bitch! Please
20.02.2008 - 11:48
Gegers
Account deleted
I have never ssen any show of Edguy, but from what I've heard on their live album Burning down the opera they sound really good on stage!

I've been a fan of them since 2004's Hellfire Club, which is in my opinion their best album, along with The savage poetry. I've been really disappointed by Rocket ride which is really weak except for one or two songs like Superheroes or Matrix. I hope the new album (planned for january 2009) will be much better!
20.02.2008 - 20:43
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I haven't heard enough from them to count them into my favourite bands, but from what I've had contact with, they are excellent, just terrific music.
----
28.02.2008 - 15:50
Akke920
I liked the band until hellfire club. since then they have just gone downhill... But yes, i would like to see them live, if they put on a good show of course! but i didn't like rocket ride.. a lot of tracks were really silly.. and i can't accept that! bring back the seriousness!!!! xD
01.03.2008 - 02:57
Daniel
Best music for parties or drunken nights.

I dig them
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
10.11.2008 - 19:25
Baldmetal
I dont like the titanus sanctus :S But i will go to the concert in Madrid the next year!
----
O_o
10.11.2008 - 22:33
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Hey im going to that same concert it better be good!! hahaha
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
10.11.2008 - 22:38
Janne
Hugin
Is it similar to Rocket Ride?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.11.2008 - 23:44
Hrothdane
Written by Janne on 10.11.2008 at 22:38

I remember reading baz anderson saying that he heard some of it and that is sounds like a weaker version of rocket ride.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
11.11.2008 - 00:34
Janne
Hugin
Written by Hrothdane on 10.11.2008 at 23:44

Written by Janne on 10.11.2008 at 22:38

I remember reading baz anderson saying that he heard some of it and that is sounds like a weaker version of rocket ride.

:/ that's not too promising...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.11.2008 - 12:24
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, I've had the album for a month or so, probably more. It is released soon so I shall have a review of it on soon.
I have listened to it more and it isn't a bad album, it has grown on me, but it still isn't any "Hellfire Club" or "Mandrake"...
14.11.2008 - 23:39
JÄY
Metal slave
Tinnitus?

what do you think?

I like it....
15.11.2008 - 01:12
iMorphball
Damn good album. In my top 3 Edguy Albums:
1: Theater of Salvation
2/3: Tinnitus Sanctus/Mandrake
15.11.2008 - 03:52
Metalbound7
One of my fav bands. i love the old Edguy and the new Edguy they rock and Tobias Sammet is one of the best Metal frontman of all time
18.11.2008 - 10:16
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Mmm i dont know what any of you are talking about i didnt approve of Tinnitus at all. Hellfire and Mandrake are still my go-to Edguy albums.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.11.2008 - 01:44
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Im having trouble with it but ill give more listens im sure ill grow on me
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
22.11.2008 - 22:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
So about Tinnitus Sanctus...i gave 8 as ranking, but it is really "better 8"...highlights are Ministry Of Saints, Sex Fire Religion and Dragonfly...i would say after a bit strange (though not bad at all) Rocket Ride, Edguy are back in all their crazy foolish majesty
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.11.2008 - 23:54
Janne
Hugin
Maybe the new album is better than Rocket Ride but not a big step forward. I like only 2 songs very much: Ministry Of Saints and Speedhoven.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.11.2008 - 16:40
Puppets
Account deleted
Good band but you gets tired at them to fast. Hellfire Club is good, but very tiring after a wile.
Dragonforce is better.
24.11.2008 - 18:07
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 16:40

Good band but you gets tired at them to fast. Hellfire Club is good, but very tiring after a wile.
Dragonforce is better.

You can't say Edguy is more boring than Dragonforce!
I think there is no one else who would say this...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.11.2008 - 18:30
Puppets
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 24.11.2008 at 18:07

Dragonforce is better.

Yes i can at his voice. Dragonforce is the best Power Metalband no one can play fast as them in Power Metal and bring swo much Power Metal.
24.11.2008 - 18:51
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 18:30

Dragonforce is better.

Yes i can at his voice. Dragonforce is the best Power Metalband no one can play fast as them in Power Metal and bring swo much Power Metal.

Yes, Dragonforce is fast and a great band fast but you said you get bored with Edguy very soon. And I think it's much easier to be bored with Dragonforce than with Edguy. Edguy has more different songs especially in their newer albums.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.11.2008 - 21:05
Puppets
Account deleted
Anyway i like 1 of their album and they have some random good song but i like Helloween, Dragonforce and Gamma Ray.
Rhapsody makes better music atleast in Dawn of Victory. But Edguy does Hellfire club better than other Rhapsody albums.
To serious power Metal is not good, but Rhapsody work.
I like Edguy for what they do not serious text like Dragonforce nearly equal some time for me.
Edguy supports Dragonforce so Edhuy i cool to.
Andi am tired on Inhuman Rampage i think that is the worst Dragonforcealbum is Ultra Beatdown i like Hellfire Club better than that.
I like the 2 first album from Dragonforce they are perfect for me.
Thats why im like them they're old stuff is forever the new is not.

I have listen to Rocket Ride and there is not so good i though they were better than that.
Maybe i like their old stuff better from Edguy.
I have only heard 4 songs from them and some Rocket Ride songs and i like.

1. Down to the Devil
2. New Age Messiah
3. King of Fools
4. Forever

Dragonforce and Edguy is very close to each other. And they should begin a turny now when Dragonforce is nearly awsume

Edguy can play all Hellfire Club and Dragonforce songs from Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm.
26.11.2008 - 17:23
Ascendant187
I love Edguy. I think Tobias has a great voice and, as a band, they've only gotten better. I suppose Hellfire Club is my all-time favourite Edguy album but I also love Rocket Ride. I like that they've got a sense of humour, amongst other things.

I honestly don't see the similarities between Dragonforce and Edguy. Dragonforce, to me, seem very wanky. They also play a lot faster and tend to favour longer songs. Edguy seem to have mastered their craft, are content to work with shorter songs and change things up more than Dragonforce.
28.11.2008 - 10:29
Jewfasa
Account deleted
I saw them last month in San Fransisco is was amazing they played with Kamelot who put on a great show as well.
02.12.2008 - 00:52
iMorphball
Haha, Dragonforce is not the best Power Metal band. No where close haha. Edguy is by far better then Dragonforce on so many levels. Hellfire Club will also always be my favorite album but I still love Tinnitus Sanctus!
02.12.2008 - 06:24
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 18:30

Dragonforce is better.

Obviously you havent listened to much power metal.
Dragonforce is not the fastest band in the genre. They SOUND faster because of the blend of instruments, but individually, most bands match their speed, and i have heard faster songs. Its mianly they keys that makes it sound so fast, because they are overridden on every song.

Edguy are a decent power metal band, one of the more comical ones. They have good and bad material. Hellfire Club, Mandrake and Theater Of Salvation i enjoyed the most, somes songs off The Savage Poetry were good. I havent heard their latest album. Rocket Ride was not me.
08.12.2008 - 23:15
Saitenhexerin
I think, no one can say which band really IS better, but only which band anyone likes best.
I really like the new Album, however, it indeed does not sound anymore like typical Edguy. But I think that they did make a big step forward and continued their musical evolution. This happened to a lot of other bands too, however there are waaaaay worse examples....
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
08.12.2008 - 23:35
Janne
Hugin
I've been listening to the new album every day for 2 weeks but by now I got bored of it. Firstly, I was surprised how much I liked it though I don't really like this Edguy. It's not that kind of album which will grow on you more and more after each listen.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
03.01.2009 - 10:24
Elfeder
It is only me or the album sounds more heavy than the usual edguy?