Metal Storm logo
DragonForce - Part Ways With Vocalist

DragonForce has split with vocalist ZP "Zippy" Theart. The following message was posted on the band's website:

"It is with great regret that DragonForce announce a parting of the ways with singer ZP Theart. This is due to insurmountable differences of musical opinion but the rest of the band sincerely wish ZP great success with his future projects.

While the creative core members have begun writing the fifth album, they have also started a worldwide search for a new vocalist. "We are looking for a powerful melodic singer, to write a new chapter of DragonForce with us." said guitarist Herman Li.

Anyone wishing to audition for the vacant position should apply following the instructions at this web address."

Source: dragonforce.com
Band profile: DragonForce
Posted: 09.03.2010 by BudDa

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 40   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 383 users
09.03.2010 - 14:46
Baz Anderson
staff
Shame for the band, he's a fantastic singer.
I wonder who it was that wanted to keep things the same, and who wanted to change the sound in some way... no doubt that is what the "musical differences" are... Dragonforce are going stale as they are.
09.03.2010 - 15:07
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Really a shame, 'cause he's a fantastic singer as Baz also said.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.03.2010 - 15:17
Justice
I prefered that herman lee left the band
09.03.2010 - 15:50
MeloDeathViking
I loved his vocals, I think he really helped define their sound. I don't know how they'll sound with someone new.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
09.03.2010 - 16:14
DrM
DreaMutilated
Even though I'm not too big on them I do find myself listening to them sometimes.

For me, the two biggest talents of this band were first Sam Totman (give him credit - he composed almost every single song DragonForce was made famous for), and then ZP - which him leaving in my honest opinion is a major blow to the already fragile state this band is in after the so called "letdown" from their previous release (which I thought had great moments) and before their next which I do think would help refine their unique sound out of the PlayStation spectrum and into something worth noting and remembering.

"Due to insurmountable differences of musical opinions" two opposing conclusions can be derived from that - either he proposed a change in the band's direction and was refused (unlikely), or (and this is what I think happened) the band (i.e. Totman) wanted to alter their musical direction, and ZP was against it.

In my opinion - if ZP leaving the band is a sign of some refreshing direction coming, let it be.
09.03.2010 - 16:24
JÄY
Metal slave
Holy hell
09.03.2010 - 16:25
Jonnz of Steel
Damn, that sucks.
09.03.2010 - 16:27
soadbyob
Account deleted
Now Dragonforce really does suck, ZP was the best vocalist for them.
09.03.2010 - 16:37
Bad news indeed. Can't imagine DragonForce without ZP's vocals. I agree with RocknRaven on almost everything except the last part. I think is more likely that one single member (ZP) wanted a change in their sound and the others opposed rather than all of the members but him wanting to change the sound suddenly.
Good luck to ZP anyways, he is a hell of a singer!
09.03.2010 - 16:40
JÄY
Metal slave
Time to recruit Daniel Heiman
09.03.2010 - 17:12
Arrwyn
I kind of don't blame him; DragonForce was pretty decent until fame hit them and made them do a 360 in music production. I hope he does well in his future.
09.03.2010 - 17:49
Kingface
Just seen this news on the front of the main website and it took me by surprise. I guess it's natural for it to have that effect when they've kept most of the same members for so many years.

It is disappointing to hear as I really do think ZP is a great vocalist and I for one have come to sort of associate his voice with Dragonforce, but it'll be interesting to see who Dragonforce get to replace him and what projects ZP will be involved with in the future.
09.03.2010 - 18:02
FeskarN
Written by JÄY on 09.03.2010 at 16:40

Time to recruit Daniel Heiman

Indeed, that would be awesome! Anyone know what Heiman is doing nowdays?
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
09.03.2010 - 18:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Good move, imo. the vocals just took too much potential guitar solo time away from songs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.03.2010 - 18:33
DareDuck
I agree with Maelgron... Hard to imagine DragonForce without ZP's vocals..
09.03.2010 - 19:23
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 18:07

Good move, imo. the vocals just took too much potential guitar solo time away from songs.

lol
09.03.2010 - 19:29
|pyro|
The singer was retarded at live shows, super drunk and throwing water in the public
09.03.2010 - 19:39
StratoDan1990
This band has some very good songs, but most of all, I think they need to work on their album most. Their other albums are at times great, but I mean a really focused solid album. One that makes it a bit different to the others, but is still Dragonforce. And maybe the live sound a bit too... nothing they haven't heard before though.
09.03.2010 - 19:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
DF was death for some time already...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.03.2010 - 20:15
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Maybe he wanted to switch musical style from Sega Dreamcast metal with Nintendo influences to a more modern, Xbox360/PS3 sound...or, change the instruments for live shows to wireless Guitar Hero guitars & drum kit? Or he just declared that Frets On Fire OWNZZ Guitar Hero...I guess we'll never know...

And for a poster above who said Dragonforce did "a 360 in music production" - given the number mentioned refers to degrees, and not Microsoft's game console, had they done that, they would've ended sounding in exactly the same way...
09.03.2010 - 20:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
YES its best news in 2010 so far hahhaha I can not be hapier seems MS members who's in True Crisides Against Euro Power Metal will be happy LOL

Its time open best wine in my collection
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2010 - 22:31
Lol another epic fail
09.03.2010 - 22:48
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Tha's a real shame. I loved his voice. Gonna be hard to find another like him.
10.03.2010 - 00:21
BenWasHere
SO FAR AWAYYYY
10.03.2010 - 01:51
X5452
Account deleted
I cant say it bothers me, im relieved, stupid egotrippin guy
10.03.2010 - 02:11
Symmachus
Well that is quite a change. Hopefully Dragonforce can have more variety with their sound. There is a suggestion at a "new chapter of DragonForce", but hopefully that chapter will not be "the second phase of DragonForce part II" or something of that nature.
10.03.2010 - 02:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 18:07

Hahahahaha.

It sounds like it was a bad break-up covered by soft language. I really hope this explodes into a nice drama. At least that way I derive some pleasure from Dragonforce.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.03.2010 - 02:43
ruffio
Written by |pyro| on 09.03.2010 at 19:29

The singer was retarded at live shows, super drunk and throwing water in the public

Throwing water on the people in the front is actually pretty nice in the venues that boil... Just saying.
Apart from that you're probably right, I've never seen them live but of the people I've talked to that have- 1 in 10 thought they had a good live show. (Now that I've said that, I'm waiting for everyone to say how great their live shows are)
10.03.2010 - 03:24
MetalDoomMaster
Still a band full of good musicians making shitty music in my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of this kind of power metal.
10.03.2010 - 05:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Lolololololol goooodbye ZP Theart. Not to offend anyone but imo he was the biggest drawback to Dragonforce (Well that and you get bored after hearing half an album)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.

Hits total: 6457 | This month: 10