01. Pull Me Under
02. Another Day
03. Take The Time
04. Surrounded
05. Metropolis - Part I "The Miracle And The Sleeper"
06. Under A Glass Moon
07. Wait For Sleep
08. Learning To Live

This is it! My first Dream Theater review! I can say that this progressive band from New York is my favorite band and will still be in ten years from now. So, back in 1992, the band released their masterpiece "Images And Words" and after that nothing was going to be the same again in the musical world. Why? Well, because this album brought something totally new to the scene, this famous progressive metal sound that would become Dream Theater's signature and it would make them famous for being one of the most influential bands ever.

From the beginning, it's a totally different sound. With 'Pull Me Under', you are already able to foresee what is coming your way. Incredibly complex song structures, tremendous musicianship, perfect execution and an intriguing originality that makes you wonder "who are these guys"? Well, these guys are Mike Portnoy [drums], John Petrucci [guitars], John Myung [bass], Kevin Moore [keyboards] and James LaBrie [vocals], among who you already know Portnoy and Petrucci for sure, these two being all the time part of diverse side-projects and productions, but also often nominated when it's time to vote for best musicians awards. Let's say it loud: that was the best lineup they ever had, especially considering that James LaBrie was on top of his vocal abilities at that time. Kevin Moore is a really imaginative keyboard compositor and player, and paired with master Petrucci on guitars, they were something else. Regarding Mike Portnoy, whom I admire since I've listened for the first time to this album, he's probably the best "disciple" of Neil Peart [drummer of the Canadian combo Rush, Portnoy's number one source of inspiration, and probably the best drummer on earth]. John Myung is not any bass player either and you just need to see Dream Theater on stage or to watch any live videotape to understand why [tip: his fingers movements are amazing...]

Among the best moments of this amazing recording, which features only 8 songs but almost one hour of essential material, let's name the opening track 'Pull Me Under', 'Take The Time' [my favorite song ever], 'Metropolis Part I', 'Under A Glass Moon' and 'Learning To Live' as highlights. Now, some songs can be considered as fillers [especially 'Another Day' and 'Surrounded'] or even cheesy songs. You're the judge but as a whole, "Images And Words" is a masterpiece and also an historical album.

So if you don't know that one yet, try it, and if you don't like it at first, listen to it again. When you fully digest the complex compositions, you'll enjoy it as you enjoy nothing else. And if you don't, well, you will never like any kind of progressive metal [too bad for you!]. Oh by the way, I almost forget to tell you that "Images And Words" is a way to say "music and lyrics", which is not a bad image [or words ;-)].

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 09.01.2004 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 396 users
07.08.2006 - 11:17
dark awakening
Best DT album a MASTERPIECE!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
08.08.2006 - 17:32
Olddoggie
Account deleted
A Masterpiece without any doubt. Every progressive and/or melodic and symphonic metal lover should have this one in his/her collection. This cd is beyond imagination!
06.09.2006 - 12:35
Rating: 10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery

that pretty much sums it up

great album
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
07.09.2006 - 05:10
Rating: 8
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
This is definatly my favourite Dream Theater album.

Very much so deserves the high rating

Again, Masterpiece
----

Hellcunt Smurf
07.09.2006 - 11:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes this is my favorite Dream Theater album as well - it is fantastic
i love the feel i get from it
the album just oozes typical early ninteys and thats really good to listen to
07.09.2006 - 13:39
ylside
Staff
Awesome album indeed, however I still think that Metropolis II: Scenes From A Memory is their best effort.
14.06.2007 - 16:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Best Dream Theater album and the best album of all time! :
Excellent review too!
----
14.06.2007 - 21:37
Bitch Boy
One of the very best albums in the metal world. Very good review too
15.06.2007 - 23:01
Rating: 9
RavenLord
Absolutely brilliant album, definitely in my top 10 of all time. Not to keen on their newer material (Train of Thought etc.); can anyone tell me the last album they did which was primarily more melodic than simply technical?
----
05.07.2007 - 04:10
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Comparing with their following album, Images And Words did not let me feel extreme complex melody or the deep exploration of human thoughs.I like Take The Time, Under A Glass Moon.There songs make me feel brisk(And this kind of songs is difficult to be found nowadays, maybe because kevin left the band)
05.07.2007 - 20:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
This is still my favourite DT album although metropolis II is quite close. Kevin Moore's contribution here is quite remarkable, I liked his ideas a lot. Wait for sleep is a masterpiece, learning to live probably my favourite song in there but then again which song isnt great here? Metropolis part I is quite edgy too. Well I could go on... it's a must-have.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.07.2007 - 23:58
BlankFile
A Masterpiece Album, that have influenced lots of bands. Maybe the best of DT, alongside Scenes From a Memory.
21.07.2007 - 13:20
MetalMac
umm lets just talk about this album.....this album is what most metal bands try to match or become as successful as dream theater did with this album!! tp this day and forever will this album be in my mind as the album that made progessive metal happen.

-Mac
01.08.2007 - 18:03
JoshGao
This alblum should be listed in the top 10 metal masterpiece for all the time.

It establishes a new style and gives great impact to the follower.
31.08.2007 - 12:08
Mizer84
Account deleted
Truly an excellent album. Images And Words and Metropolis Pt II are DT's top albums, IAW being more catchy. If you like progressive metal - it's a must have! I agree with review highlights, but "Another Day" and "Surrounded" shouldn't be called cheesy or fillers. They present the softer side of the album (together with "Wait") and are propably the easiest songs to get into. Anyway they're very melodic and pack a lot of feeling, quality stuff... Every album needs a couple of lighter songs too.
11.12.2007 - 00:12
duyhung
Account deleted
Images And Words means a lot to me, i still remember the first time i listened to this true masterpiece nearly 4 years ago..... Tonight i give it a listen again after a quite long time, and i still can feel the impression it gave me back in 2003... , everything is still the same, the feeling i have when lying in the bed with sounds of 'Surrounded' fulfill the room, soothing my tired mind...
11.12.2007 - 00:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hey, I fucking cried when I saw them perform Surrounded and the crowd was higher than the band. Such a touching moment.
----
11.12.2007 - 01:52
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 11.12.2007 at 00:37

Hey, I fucking cried when I saw them perform Surrounded and the crowd was higher than the band. Such a touching moment.

Lucky you , where and when did it happen?
11.12.2007 - 15:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 11.12.2007 at 01:52

I saw them live a couple of months ago here in Stockholm. They played an extended editon of the song. New guitar and keyboard solos, even a new verse. I think my tears came during the "But I will raise a shelter to the sky/And here benath the star tonight I lie". I was also very touched at the end, the "tonight I'll still be lying here surrounded..." part. I'm pretty sure that Surrounded was the highlight of the show! :
----
12.12.2007 - 00:52
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 11.12.2007 at 15:33

Written by Guest on 11.12.2007 at 01:52

I saw them live a couple of months ago here in Stockholm. They played an extended editon of the song. New guitar and keyboard solos, even a new verse. I think my tears came during the "But I will raise a shelter to the sky/And here benath the star tonight I lie". I was also very touched at the end, the "tonight I'll still be lying here surrounded..." part. I'm pretty sure that Surrounded was the highlight of the show! :

Oh yes, and don't forger the beautiful piano sounds , like you i also love those intro and outro parts where they prove that a piano can bring really strong emotions if it's used well... And the live version you have seen sounds interesting, i'll try to find it on Youtube (well, if there's one there ).... All in all Surrounded undoubtedly is one of the best songs DT ever wrote..., this is no filler at all
19.03.2008 - 06:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
very good album... but i prefer ''Falling Into Infinity''. My favorite tracks in this one are ''Another Day'', ''Take The Time'' and ''Metropolis''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.03.2008 - 06:37
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Warman on 11.12.2007 at 15:33

They did the same thing when I saw them. Except Jordan Rudess had a fucking keytar! He soloed next Petrucci, it was orgasmic. Sadly it was the only songs off the album they played that night.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.03.2008 - 15:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Clintagräm on 19.03.2008 at 06:37

They did the same thing when I saw them. Except Jordan Rudess had a fucking keytar! He soloed next Petrucci, it was orgasmic. Sadly it was the only songs off the album they played that night.

Yeah, that keytar is frickin' awesome!
----
21.07.2008 - 13:36
I personally believe that Images and Words is a masterpiece and second only to Scenes Of A Memory.The guitars,the vocals...everything is PERFECT.Just think about how many bands try to sound that way.And the review is just great.
16.08.2008 - 15:11
Elio
Red Nightmare
Another Day = Filler??????????????????????????????????? omfg
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
08.09.2008 - 09:37
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 19.03.2008 at 06:03

very good album... but i prefer ''Falling Into Infinity''. My favorite tracks in this one are ''Another Day'', ''Take The Time'' and ''Metropolis''.

You, my friend, are a rare breed of Dream Theater fan. I don't completely agree with you though... but I do think Falling Into Infinity equally as good.
12.10.2008 - 00:49
HyperDrifter
Id just like tp oint out to those talkign about Scenes From A Memory here, that without Images And Words, Metropolis II: Scenes From A Memory wouldn't have existed. A sequel for Metropolis can be heard in DT's Falling Into Infinity demos, which ended up turning into the concept album Scenes From A Memory because of the record label not allowing a double album. Images And Words has alot to thank for, which i think made DT the way they are today imo. I respect peoples views on Scenes From A Memory being better than Images And Words, im not saying that, both albums are amazing, just one spawned the other

Great review for a great album!
12.11.2008 - 04:04
Morphis
One of the best albums ever made of all history, one of the best bands of the 90's.
14.12.2008 - 03:44
wolf-dog
Account deleted
Kevin Moore was a huge part of what made that album great, and is a big part of "what's missing" from newer releases for me.
09.05.2009 - 23:48
Rating: 6
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
My first and probably last progresive album. it is boring as the walking of a tortoise...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 16900 | This month: 44