Metal Storm logo
Behemoth - Frontman Formally Charged For Bible Destruction

According to Interia.pl and GazetaPrawna.pl, vocalist/guitarist Adam "Nergal" Darski of Behemoth was formally charged on Monday (March 8) for insulting Roman Catholics.

As reported by Blabbermouth, Darski made headlines in his native country in September 2007 when he reportedly called the Catholic Church "the most murderous cult on the planet" during a Behemoth performance in Gdynia and tore up a copy of the Bible onstage (see video footage here).

After the incident, Ryszard Nowak, head of the All-Polish Committee for Defense Against Sects sued Behemoth for promoting Satanism. Although a court expert witness on religious matters said that the act of destroying the Holy Bible could offend somebody's religious feelings (a criminal offense under Polish law), the case was discontinued because no one except Nowak accused Behemoth of insulting their religious beliefs. (Under Polish law, there must be at least two formal complaints before a charge is laid. The previous complaint was made in 2008, and recently an unspecified number of other complaints had been filed.)

Nergal is pleading not guilty to the charge.

According to Metal As Fuck, in the first hearing, under cross examination, Darski stated what he does on stage is part of artistic license and it wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings. However, an expert on religious history and studies from Jagellonian University in Krakow stated that every copy of a bible could be considered a religious icon.

There was no judgment ruled against Darski in the first hearing, but now that a second complaint has been filed, the matter will be heard by the courts.

IF(!) found guilty, Darski faces up to 2 years in prison.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Behemoth
Posted: 09.03.2010 by Thryce

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 141   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 591 users
10.03.2010 - 08:15
Lachy
Account deleted
Thats shit as. I recon i should use a bible as toilet paper
10.03.2010 - 09:01
FRIENDSHIP
And I thought that having the nobles elect the king was the stupidest thing that Poles did. I thought they had wised up in recent years! This makes my Polish quarter embarrassed
----
Keeping up the killing,

Dylan
10.03.2010 - 09:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
OMG KILL CHRISTIANS NOW BURNBURNBURNBURN

but seriously, this is pretty shitty. there's quite a bit of clear lines on the freedom of expression in the Declaration of Human Rights somewhere.
10.03.2010 - 09:53
Italics
What a faggot. Tearing up a Bible wasn't intended to offend Christianity?

He sounds like the kind of "trOO" black metal satanist who is all talk and no balls. The second he is faced with what he's done, he pussies out and tries to act all apologetic. Why doesn't he just grab a battle axe and chop in half all persecutors?

Funny we spend so much time here on metalstorm calling mainstream bands fake and commercialized... black metallers are the most fake, pretentious bunch of musicians out there.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
10.03.2010 - 10:01
Manson and Dani did it.

And it wasn't impressive then either.
10.03.2010 - 10:45
renai
Why he did that? so immature and unresponsible to other people believe.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
10.03.2010 - 10:57
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Offending someone's religious feelings is a crime in poland?? what is this world coming to?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
10.03.2010 - 12:03
fotius
I like Poland but i didn't know that they have so old ideas...(very pretty girls!!!)
Hate all new religions from Jews...and Muslims too!
Every country had their own religion and now we must obey them?
NO!

+++BLACK METAL+++

(we will give him money to support him against the "holy" ones )
10.03.2010 - 12:06
Nergal
2 years in prison... that's fucking crazy!!! And why Behemoth are not charged when they perform something like "Christians to the lions"??? Destroying the bible and singing that kind of songs is the same thing... I'm expecting from Nergal to defend his belief and to talk about the crimes the so-called "Holy" Church committed many years ago, whose consequences we're living in today's society... Where do you think intolerance and ignorance come from???
10.03.2010 - 12:06
Storm Rider
I believe Nergal was a wise guy & also people at Catholic Church in Poland, they must be a wise people too. Try to get a solution with intensive communication not by the law
10.03.2010 - 12:49
Roro
Written by 4look4rd on 10.03.2010 at 04:46

I actually like Behemoth and I am not catholic but I actually support the church this time. I don't think burning a religious icon should be part of "artistic license," but it should rather be consider as an act of ignorance. It doesn't matter what religion we are talking about; things like this just shouldn't happen, its like going back to the past when people were ignorant bastards that couldn't see one centimeter in front of their eyes. I think the hating on christianity is the new fad, but I would be just as pissed if they were burning a copy of the Qu'ran, some sacred hindo religious text, or even a pagan poem.

and where is the spirit of "troo" black metal ! lool

i guess he burnt it to gain more fans and puplicity. and i am confused that he's polish and didnt know the polish law??
anyway i agree with u, music should be away from religion. if it'll be offending
10.03.2010 - 12:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would say burning "holy" books (or in general any books) belongs to category "it is not physically hurting anyone, so no charges are necessary"...or if it is offending you personally, you can (according to "my logic" ) go and tell him with your fists, but please - dont call the police and dont demand legal actions about him
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.03.2010 - 14:00
Magatouve
Account deleted
In old times the church and other religious authorities burned books of science or any other books they didn't like. If we are true lovers of freedom and liberty, we should not do the same, even for the books whose people burn other people's books because in this case we become like them.

Everyone is entitled to say their opinion on stage (religious or anti-religious) but burning a book is not something I would support. And I don't support the silly defensive statement "part of artistic license and it wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings". Maybe if I were him facing a 2 year prison sentence I would say the same. But still it's lame.
10.03.2010 - 14:52
Iskariota
Poland is fuckin' screwed. People in Poland are complexed and stupid. Catholic Church interjects to everything all the time the fuck. Behemoth is famous all over the fuckin' world, but not in this shitty country (Poland). In Poland Behemoth and Nergal are accuse more and more. I was born in Poland, I live in Poland and I fuckin' ashamed about it. I really hate this country...
10.03.2010 - 16:09
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
If I don't have rolling papers I use the pages of the Bible. It works great and it feels Holy.
----
Chef Metal Head
10.03.2010 - 16:43
gtrnflames
I'm just after the music anyway. I personally don't care what he's singing about. But when you rip bibles and eat angels in your videos then you're bound to make a few enemies. And every album it gets worse. I love Behemoth but they have just gotten so out of control with trying to outdo their last project that I stopped buying their music with Demigod. It's all getting a bit silly
10.03.2010 - 16:48
Mother_North
2 years of presion because of this? Give me a fuckin break!!!! The law should punish those priests who molest children!! The Church is a rotten aple.
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
10.03.2010 - 17:11
Götter
elite
I wonder if deleting eBook Bibles is a criminal offense also? Or wantonly editing the holybible.pdf file, like, say, removing a page or two or writing "suck my cock Jesus" into the Book of Revelations?
10.03.2010 - 17:27
Tursti
This is ridiculous.
10.03.2010 - 17:46
ponderer
"By the symbols of the creator
I swear henceforth to be
A faithful servant of his most
Puissant archangel
The Prince Lucifer
Whom the creator designated as his regent
And Lord of this World

I deny Jesus Christ...the deciever
And I abjure the Christian faith
Holding in contempt all of it's works

As a being now possessed of a human body
In this world I swear to give my full
Allegiance to it's lawfull master,
To worship him our
Lord Satan and no other
In the name of Satan, the ruler of Earth
Open wide the gates of Hell
And come forth from the abyss
By these names: Satan, Leviathan,
Belial, Lucifer
I will kiss the goat

I swear to give my mind
My body and soul unreservedly
To the furtherance of our
Lord Satan designs
Do what thou wilt shall be the
Whole of the law
As it was at the beginning
Is now and ever shall be
World without end Amen"

Mercyful Fate - The Oath
10.03.2010 - 20:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
So saying the ugly truth about the Roman Church is a crime in Poland? Catholism IS the most murderous cult on the planet, that's one of the very few realities concerning this organization. And antichristian doesn't mean satanic. I hate the Church, but I do not believe in Satan or promote any cult, personnaly. I AM MY OWN GOD.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
11.03.2010 - 01:25
TormentoR.
OH MY GOD!
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
11.03.2010 - 02:13
-Morbid-
This seems pretty stupid to me, something along the lines of going into a strip club then suing one of the girls because she exposed herself to you.

If you don't like anti-religious things, don't go to shows where bands with anti-religious themes are playing.
11.03.2010 - 05:10
Storm Rider
Hope this forum would given a constructive mind, not in useless words, why? let's say someday Nergal (or other metal musician who's got threat) read this forum & he look there is something good point that he could get it from this, I believe you all be happy too, right. This just my opinion
11.03.2010 - 05:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
You shouldn't desecrate idols like that, the idol worshipers might get mad.
11.03.2010 - 09:22
Okay, a bit out of hand but still... you rip up a bible in front of thousands of people. What do you think is going to happen? I think a lack of understanding of that kind of cause and effect should be punishable. So should blatant intolerance - yes freedom of speech etc etc but is his music not anti-christian enough? Does bible-tearing truly enhance the live performance? Is there any artistic reason the act was included, or was it simply anger, or alternatively just provoking the christian masses?
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
11.03.2010 - 10:52
Dark Doom
The fucking religion must be destruct , Nergal is a hero!
11.03.2010 - 12:48
fotius
Written by Nergal on 10.03.2010 at 12:06

2 years in prison... that's fucking crazy!!! And why Behemoth are not charged when they perform something like "Christians to the lions"??? Destroying the bible and singing that kind of songs is the same thing... I'm expecting from Nergal to defend his belief and to talk about the crimes the so-called "Holy" Church committed many years ago, whose consequences we're living in today's society... Where do you think intolerance and ignorance come from???

+1 for that!
You are right!We have our believes too!
11.03.2010 - 12:54
fotius
Yesterday he didn't do anything...and i was waiting for some.I must have my own "Book" to rip...hehe!
11.03.2010 - 16:50
Dani5050
I didn't know we have so many christian fags here in MS , f**k the christians and f**k the communist that destroy poland for so many years. This is insane is a goddamn book, you can't get prison for ripping it,

Hits total: 16616 | This month: 17