06. No Escape
07. One Of Us
08. Behind The Mirror
09. Impossible To Cure [2000 Re-Release bonus]
10. Lambs To The Slaughter [Raven cover] [2000 Re-Release bonus]
11. Terrible Certainty [live] [2000 Re-Release bonus]
12. Riot Of Violence [live] [2000 Re-Release bonus]
13. Awakening Of The Gods [live] [2000 Re-Release bonus]

After two thrash / death albums ("Endless Pain" and "Pleasure To Kill"), that would later inspire many death metal bands, Kreator changed their style and created "Terrible Certainty", an exclusively thrash metal album.

"Terrible Certainty" is a great step for Kreator, as it's an album where the band changes many elements in their sound and their general style. Ventor's "growling" vocals now belong in the past (he sings only in "As The World Burns" - but his vocals are not as extreme as in the previous albums), the guitar work is now much more complex: technique is the new word added in the band's dictionary; variety in the songwriting is also something new. It is the first time that Kreator use melody in their music (listen to a perfect melody in the middle of "Storming With Menace"). The drumming is once more really fast but also more varied with breaks and some mid-tempo parts. The acoustic intro in "Behind The Mirror" is the best proof for the big changes the band made in it's sound. Lyrically, the band diverts a bit from the carnage centered themes of the first two albums, including some songs with anti-religious subject and some about humanity in general.

Now, when you put "Terrible Certainty" in the cd player you'll listen to some of the most qualitative songs Kreator have ever wrote. "Storming With Menace", "Terrible Certainty" (one of the biggest hits of the band) and "Toxic Trace" are some of them. The album is full of energy and stoutness. The guitars are really great -especially the solos rule!- and the drums are sweeping all before them. The production is fairly good and clean, with the aim to reveal and push the thrash side of the band out. The cover art is something special, one of the best covers the band has ever created: it shows the trademark demon of the band standing between some skeletal ancient statues of philosophers and kings!

And you will ask me why I gave this album only 8.9 when I have said nothing but good things about it? Because it lacks a few things to be called a masterpiece. These are the production and the fact that there are 1-2 songs which are not as good as the rest. Just that.

So, I am going to say nothing more than this: Just because this album is chronologically between "Pleasure To Kill" and "Extreme Aggression" you MUST have it!

Best songs: "Storming With Menace", "Terrible Certainty", "Toxic Trace", "Behind The Mirror".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Deadmeat | 17.04.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 94 users
10.03.2010 - 21:11
Rating: 9
Winterthrone

This is where Kreator became a major band, this album contains one of my favorite thrash metal song: "Terrible Certainty". It's simply impossible to stop headbanging when the first riff starts!
10.03.2010 - 21:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely an awesome album! The ripping opener "Blind Faith" and the awesome and highly underrated "Storming With Menace" (which is probably my fave Kreator song along with "Terror Zone") get the album off to an explosive start. And the high quality thrash pretty much continues all the way through the album. The last ever song to feature Ventor on lead vocals "As The World Burns" is also a great song, and a highlight. Talking of which, it sucks that Ventor never sang any more songs after this album. I really loved his vocals, and how they were so different from Mille's.

I agree with the reviewer on his score for the album.
19.05.2011 - 21:12
Growing

''It is the first time that Kreator use melody in their music '' What?Pleasure to Kill had melody.
19.05.2011 - 21:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Growing on 19.05.2011 at 21:12

''It is the first time that Kreator use melody in their music '' What?Pleasure to Kill had melody.

and which are the melodic moments of it?
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.05.2011 - 21:21
Growing

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2011 at 21:16

Ok,except the intro which is more than obvious,listen to ''Riot of Violence'' ,can't you hear melody there?
19.05.2011 - 22:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Growing on 19.05.2011 at 21:21

Ok,except the intro which is more than obvious,listen to ''Riot of Violence'' ,can't you hear melody there?

well, 1 lead in one song doesnt make an album more melodic. i hope you understand that. pleasure to kill is a violent thrash/death album and has nothing to do with melody. the band changed many things in terrible certainty and thats what i was trying to say. i hope you get me...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.05.2011 - 22:28
Growing

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2011 at 22:00

well, 1 lead in one song doesnt make an album more melodic. i hope you understand that. pleasure to kill is a violent thrash/death album and has nothing to do with melody. the band changed many things in terrible certainty and thats what i was trying to say. i hope you get me...

I won't consider it as melodic thrash overall but it has more melody than just one lead IMO,anyway maybe we don't understand the same thing by melody,maybe you mean that TC is more catchy,but I don't feel it to be too melodic.
Anyway do you agree that the most melodic Kreator album is Hordes Of Chaos followed by Violent Revolution [I didn't bother listening to Endorama so excepting that record]
19.05.2011 - 22:55
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Growing on 19.05.2011 at 22:28

I won't consider it as melodic thrash overall but it has more melody than just one lead IMO,anyway maybe we don't understand the same thing by melody,maybe you mean that TC is more catchy,but I don't feel it to be too melodic.
Anyway do you agree that the most melodic Kreator album is Hordes Of Chaos followed by Violent Revolution [I didn't bother listening to Endorama so excepting that record]

well, after Sami Sirnio came to Kreator (he plays mainly the lead guitars) he gave a more melodic tone in the bands riffing and solos/leads. so i believe that the last 3 albums are more melodic than Kreator's first thrash era. imo hordes of chaos has many melodies but isn't more melodic than VR or EoG. they are also melodic. Kreator used many melodies in the last album but in an aggressive way, if you get me.

now, as i am listening to Endorama the last weeks (and i am planning to write a review about it by time) i have to say that if you listen to it without wanting to listen to thrash metal (it is gothic) you'll love it. it is a great album but it is not thrash. i warn you, it is not thrash metal so if you dont want to listen to a gothic metal album just ignore it. on the other hand if you like a bit gothiv and generally melodic/heavy metal you'll probably love this one. it is very mainstream but it has very good songs on it!
----
19.05.2011 - 22:59
Growing

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2011 at 22:55

Written by Growing on 19.05.2011 at 22:28

Anyway do you agree that the most melodic Kreator album is Hordes Of Chaos followed by Violent Revolution*[I didn't bother listening to Endorama so excepting that record]

well, after Sami Sirnio came to Kreator (he plays mainly the lead guitars) he gave a more melodic tone in the bands riffing and solos/leads. so i believe that the last 3 albums are more melodic than Kreator's first thrash era. imo hordes of chaos has many melodies but isn't more melodic than VR or EoG. they are also melodic. Kreator used many melodies in the last album but in an aggressive way, if you get me.

now, as i am listening to Endorama the last weeks (and i am planning to write a review about it by time) i have to say that if you listen to it without wanting to listen to thrash metal (it is gothic) you'll love it. it is a great album but it is not thrash. i warn you, it is not thrash metal so if you dont want to listen to a gothic metal album just ignore it. on the other hand if you like a bit gothiv and generally melodic/heavy metal you'll probably love this one. it is very mainstream but it has very good songs on it!

*-I forgot to put a question mark there. Well,everyone whit their own opinion.
19.05.2011 - 23:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Does anybody on this site know how to trim their quotes? Yeesh.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2011 - 08:26
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.05.2011 at 23:56

Does anybody on this site know how to trim their quotes? Yeesh.

why dont you complain some more... maybe thatll fix it
19.07.2017 - 23:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Production in those days to such bands was not so big either as it is now, now we have PC and all can do it, but then ... anyway I like melody what you mention, because that's what stucks in your soul from the music
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7965 | This month: 9