Metal Storm logo
Les Legions Noires

11.03.2010 - 02:36
Got Mayhem?

Thought I would try to make a thread on the infamous and obscured Les Legions Noires (The Black Legions), which is one of the more highly thought of groups of Black Metal musicians to have come together during the BM explosion in the early 90's.

Bands such as Mutiilation, Vlad Tepes, Torgeist, Brenoritvrezorkre, Belketre, Aäkon Këëtrëh, and many more made up the ranks of Les Legions Noires. After releasing a number of demos (and some Full lengths) of raw, traditional black metal many of these bands faded away, leaving a bit of mystery in their wake. These demos are considered to be collectibles by avid collectors and can fetch very fair prices. Many French bands have tried to pose as members of Les Legions Noires to try to gain attention and boost sales, not unlike the numerous Scandinavian bands who brand their albums as "True Norwegian Black Metal" or something similar.

Discuss I suppose.

Bands who were known to be in LLN:
Aäkon Këëtrëh
Amake Hihina
Belketre
Belathuzur
Black Murder
Boreb
Brenoritvrezorkre
Dzlvarv
Moevot
Mogovtre
Mutiilation
Project Chaos
Project Necro Paris Catacombes
Project Vladre
Satanicum Tenebrae
Seviss
Susvourtre
Torgeist
Vagezaryavetre
Veryapyre Kommando
Vlad Tepes
Vzaeurvbtre

Feel free to correct me on those bands or suggest others you think have been missed. As a general rule, bands formed after 1998 shouldn't be considered LLN. That was supposedly the year they disbanded.
----
11.03.2010 - 02:43
ylside

Moevot is among the best eerie atmospheric ambiant music I heard. Truly good. I know they are not Black Metal at all but they are part of this whole thing, right ?
11.03.2010 - 02:47
Got Mayhem?

I'm pretty sure they were. It's a bit hard to make out exactly who were in the Legion and who pretended to be. I'll try to come up with as much of a definite list as possible sometime soon.
----
12.03.2010 - 01:26
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I have always been fascinated by the LLN, mostly due to their mystique. To date, I have listened to the works of Mutiilation, Vlad Tepes, Belketre, and Torgeist. I haven't bothered with the others, because I hear that they aren't very good. If I had to pick a favorite out of the four I listen to the most, it would have to be Mutiilation. I'd sure love to have physical copies of their music, but the actual CDs are ridiculously rare, as was stated before. I just checked on Amazon, and a used copy of "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" is going for like $138. As of now, I can only dream of owning physical copies of their music.
12.03.2010 - 09:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I fail to see anything good about the Black Legions, most of the stuff sounds the same and it's not really special.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.03.2010 - 09:34
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I agree with Mr. Doctor. Barring a couple bands, there's not a whole lot at work here aside from trying "kvlt as fukk." I honestly don't see would pay so much for a rare release of these bands if what you're getting is something that is just raw black metal like many other bands have done. I guess there are some people that enjoy that area of music, or the general mysticism and kvltness of it all, but not me.
12.03.2010 - 13:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yep, most LLN bands are pretty worthless, a bit of a relic of the scene but I do remember thinking Mutiilation were adequate, though far from being a favourite band of mine.

I think part of the draw of them were some of the rumours that floated around like that they all used to live in a castle and indulged in anal sex with each other or something equally spurious.
12.03.2010 - 18:50
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.03.2010 at 13:47

Yep, most LLN bands are pretty worthless, a bit of a relic of the scene but I do remember thinking Mutiilation were adequate, though far from being a favourite band of mine.

I think part of the draw of them were some of the rumours that floated around like that they all used to live in a castle and indulged in anal sex with each other or something equally spurious.

I heard that the parents of one of the band members lived in a large stone house, which might be construed as being a castle. As for the buttsex part, I am unable to confirm or deny it.
12.03.2010 - 19:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.03.2010 at 18:50

Written by Guest on 12.03.2010 at 13:47

I heard that the parents of one of the band members lived in a large stone house, which might be construed as being a castle. As for the buttsex part, I am unable to confirm or deny it.

Yeah it was some crap that was mentioned on here about 5 years ago, it's probably nonsense, never looked into any of it.
14.03.2010 - 16:36
Got Mayhem?

I'm pretty sure the 'Castle' was just someones house, albeit a large one. That whole sodomy rumor sounds fishy, but I guess there's nothing I know to disprove it.

$138 for a "Ruins..."? Darn, and I enjoy listening to that too...oh well.
----
14.03.2010 - 18:32
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Pretty overhyped bunch of bands. There is plenty of great lo-fi black metal around, why bother with this stuff. They grabbed my interest at one point because of their relative obscurity and fame but I eventually found them to be utterly worthless, Mütiilation inclued. I think that Susvourtre is kinda amusing, though. I have a thing for bands that sing about pedophilia, I guess, that's so blasphemous

...and stupid also.
18.03.2010 - 02:16
Macey

There is an extensive list of LLN releases on another forum: http://streetmetal.7.forumer.com something ridiculous like 150 releases. Infact the whole forum is quite good. Threads on LLN history, tape trades and discussions of all those rumours and languages etc.

Has anyone ever heard of the band Zelda? Apparently members of Belketre before it was formed. Something like a cross of Black, Death and Punk. Whatever it is it sounds good! It shows a lot of talent and creativity that other bands and releases from LLN lack.
18.03.2010 - 02:30
Zombie, M.D.

Pssssh...LLN bands are SO 2004. Black emo shoegaze is the new hot thing to jump on, so don't worry about LLN.

I think the only ones worth half a shit are Belketre, Torgeist and Moevot.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
18.03.2010 - 02:33
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 18.03.2010 at 02:30

Pssssh...LLN bands are SO 2004. Black emo shoegaze is the new hot thing to jump on, so don't worry about LLN.

Boo, shoegaze sucks.
18.03.2010 - 18:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 18.03.2010 at 02:30

I'd drink to that! Shoegaze sucks? Hell no, It's those shitty bands with shitty sound that are such a bunch opf wannabes that really suck ass. I see no point with the LLN bands...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2010 - 21:15
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Isn't Arkha Sva at least rumormed to be affiliated with LLN? If so, I think their full-length is really good and worth checking out.
18.03.2010 - 21:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 18.03.2010 at 21:15

Isn't Arkha Sva at least rumormed to be affiliated with LLN? If so, I think their full-length is really good and worth checking out.

Arkha Sva are a great band! Awesome falsetto vocals.
18.03.2010 - 23:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Especially in "49 Evil Spirits." I think their riffs are especially delicious too. I shall post the song here if anyone wants to check out this great band.

18.03.2010 - 23:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Weren't only French bands part of LLN?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2010 - 23:39
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2010 at 23:30

I'm quite uncertain if they were actually part of it, but they did move to France from Japan to be in that scene I'm pretty sure. They have ties to it in some way that I'm not exactly certain of.
18.03.2010 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by spirit_inblack on 18.03.2010 at 23:39

I'm quite uncertain if they were actually part of it, but they did move to France from Japan to be in that scene I'm pretty sure. They have ties to it in some way that I'm not exactly certain of.

But seeing the band started in 2005, they moved after LLN had already ceased to exist. As far as I remmeber the LLN had already split up just before the new millennium.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2010 - 23:48
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2010 at 23:41

Written by spirit_inblack on 18.03.2010 at 23:39

But seeing the band started in 2005, they moved after LLN had already ceased to exist. As far as I remmeber the LLN had already split up just before the new millennium.

Perhaps they're more of a sort of tribute band to the LLN then? With further reading, I think that must just be it. They're heavily influenced by it and they've done Mutiilation and Belketre covers, and apparently their logo on the full-length was created by Vordb of Belketre, with him also providing the intro track for their first demo. Kinda weird that it says they formed in 1996 but didn't release anything until 2005.
18.03.2010 - 23:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by spirit_inblack on 18.03.2010 at 23:48

Kinda weird that it says they formed in 1996 but didn't release anything until 2005.

Maybe a case of the Kanwulf Nargaroth illness? So saying you formed earlier just to score scenepoints.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2010 - 02:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Who cares? Arkha Sva are more enjoyable than even Mutiilation. Just get it dammit!
19.03.2010 - 18:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.03.2010 at 02:45

Who cares? Arkha Sva are more enjoyable than even Mutiilation. Just get it dammit!

I listened to Arkha Sva and they are vastly superior to anything ever done by the LLN. LLN isn't even allowed to tie Arkha Sva's shoelaces.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2010 - 19:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2010 at 18:58

Written by Guest on 19.03.2010 at 02:45

I listened to Arkha Sva and they are vastly superior to anything ever done by the LLN. LLN isn't even allowed to tie Arkha Sva's shoelaces.

Yep, it's a shame they feel (if they indeed do) the need to associate themselves with a defunct gaggle of has-beens and never-was' and they can easily stand on their own.
24.03.2010 - 16:07
SilentScream
Blasphemer
I remember running into Meyna'ch of Mütiilation in 2008. Well, if you heard those rumors that he was kicked out of the LLN because of drugs, I wouldn't be surprised. He was high as hell.

The only worthwhile bands in there are Mütillation, Vlad Tepes, Black Murder and Moevot (for its eeriness). I have most of the aforementionned bands/releases on mp3 and I listened to them quite a bit. But you get tired of it pretty kickly : most of it is garbage.

Maybe if I am up to it, I could post a few of those releases or something.
12.05.2010 - 00:19
Got Mayhem?

I think one of the better things released by anything LLN was the "March to the Black Holocaust" split between Vlad Tepes and Belketre.The Belketre is pretty usual stuff but the VT side is above average IMO.
----
12.05.2010 - 04:00
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 12.05.2010 at 00:19

I think one of the better things released by anything LLN was the "March to the Black Holocaust" split between Vlad Tepes and Belketre.The Belketre is pretty usual stuff but the VT side is above average IMO.

I loved "March to the Black Holocaust". Not only is the music better than average, but the production is better as well.