+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 14
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 94 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 8

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2314 users
27.05.2010 - 20:48
Rating: 7
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 16:46

Sounds great that you're finally seeing one of your favorite bands live. Believe it or not, I have never been graced with Blind Guardian's presence in person. If I did go see them live sometime, I'd much rather see them Somewhere Far Beyond (like Rome) instead of here in the US. I like to think they have a much larger and more appreciative fanbase outside of the states. :l

well, from videos over the web i did notice that the USA audiences tend to be much more reserved on singing along, which imo is one of the high points of the BG shows, so maybe that's why you want to see them in a different setting.

i hate stereotyping, especially when it comes to European countries, but from what i've noticed so far, the most dedicated sing-alongers are the Germans, especially when it comes to heavy/power metal bands(watch the Imaginations From The Other Side DVD, those guys knew all the lyrics even to the most obscure of songs), and the biggest party animals are the Spanish(i got that from when i saw the video of Madrid fans who wouldn't leave the concert hall until Priest played a second encore, one of the only two times they ever did that on their last European tour(they played Living After Midnight) and of course AC/DC's "No Bull" DVD where everyone just keeps rocking for all 2 hours). take your pick
27.05.2010 - 20:56
krystal-moon
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 20:33

Pffthahaha! XD!!! THAT... was pretty awesome. *high-fives* You win, ma'am. Oh ho, I do say...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yay me!!!!

I think it's time to hand the discussion back to the sane, forum approved BG fans...

As always, thanks for the laughs, very much appreciated

----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
27.05.2010 - 21:31
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2010 at 20:48

well, from videos over the web i did notice that the USA audiences tend to be much more reserved on singing along, which imo is one of the high points of the BG shows, so maybe that's why you want to see them in a different setting.

i hate stereotyping, especially when it comes to European countries, but from what i've noticed so far, the most dedicated sing-alongers are the Germans, especially when it comes to heavy/power metal bands(watch the Imaginations From The Other Side DVD, those guys knew all the lyrics even to the most obscure of songs), and the biggest party animals are the Spanish(i got that from when i saw the video of Madrid fans who wouldn't leave the concert hall until Priest played a second encore, one of the only two times they ever did that on their last European tour(they played Living After Midnight) and of course AC/DC's "No Bull" DVD where everyone just keeps rocking for all 2 hours). take your pick

I dunno, dude. South Americans seem pretty bat shit crazy about metal. :O

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 20:56

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yay me!!!!

I think it's time to hand the discussion back to the sane, forum approved BG fans...

As always, thanks for the laughs, very much appreciated

Agreed, and no prob on teh laughs. The same goes from me to you.
27.05.2010 - 21:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 21:31

I dunno, dude. South Americans seem pretty bat shit crazy about metal. :O

yeah, but that's because they get gigs very rarely, it's really expensive to get to South America and even then there's the problems of jet-lag, crazed fans, and of course way too many hot groupies backstage to satisfy in just a few days... that's experience talking there buddy.

>:[
27.05.2010 - 22:53
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2010 at 21:42

yeah, but that's because they get gigs very rarely, it's really expensive to get to South America and even then there's the problems of jet-lag, crazed fans, and of course way too many hot groupies backstage to satisfy in just a few days... that's experience talking there buddy.

>:[

Yeah, I'm sure your tours with Tokio Hotel are REAL tiring.

t('.'t)
26.06.2010 - 18:40
opeth771
Last album was a HUGE disappointment and hearing the samples from the new album, it sounds like they haven't gone back to their old sounds which tells me it is still not going to be good. I can't wait for the final product, but I am disappointed...
01.07.2010 - 05:26
Rating: 8
Folkbill
I cant wait anymore
----
--Non So Bill.
12.07.2010 - 00:50
Rating: 10
Kalmari
Judging the samples and the trailers, it's going to be their best album yet
13.07.2010 - 07:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Sacred Worlds and Wheel of Time sound stunning, this new album might just be a perfect mix of speed and symphony. BG never fails and I believe this might be a true masterpiece. Can't freaking wait!
17.07.2010 - 22:26
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Nicoline on 14.04.2010 at 22:01

BG has made me excited about this album with all the status updates they have on their FB site - sounds like it's going to be epic!

i've been following their weekly and even daily facebook updates for a long time, i doubt if any other band has ever updated fans like that!
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
19.07.2010 - 18:09
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
A voice in the dark is exactly what ive wanted to hear from them.... im super excited!!
19.07.2010 - 18:54
BattleHamster
Am I the only person who actually liked ATITM? "Turn the Page" is catchy as hell, and I love "Lionheart." The other songs are quite good too.
22.07.2010 - 23:24
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by BattleHamster on 19.07.2010 at 18:54

Am I the only person who actually liked ATITM? "Turn the Page" is catchy as hell, and I love "Lionheart." The other songs are quite good too.

youre not alone!

the whole album is great and catchy as all hell. not very aggressive...but thats ok..they switched it up!
29.07.2010 - 21:01
JÄY
Metal slave
..bout 6 listens in...its growing on me...but the middle drags
29.07.2010 - 21:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious

No, you're not.

I did overall, find it weaker than their best albums. But around half of the album is great. I thought "This Will Never End" was a crushing opener, and "Otherland" is a total atmospheric BG classic. I also loved "Carry The Blessed Home" which is a really sweet ballad, and "Another Stranger Me" just rocks! 3 or 4 songs were filler for me, which is why I dont regard it among their best, but the great songs which are on it, are among their best songs.
30.07.2010 - 02:27
Andreas

You're not alone, as two people before me already told you. But too few people see its awesomeness. The only ATITM songs I'm not totally into are Straight Through The Mirror and The Edge. But that can change if I give them another listen.
30.07.2010 - 02:29
Got Mayhem?
This sounds really good...obviously Hansi and Andre had fun with the Orchestral work. Its big and bombastic for sure! Speedwise this album strikes me as Somewhere Far Beyond in tempo overall. Can't wait to listen to this with some high quality headphones. Especially because the production appears to be absolutely superb.
----
30.07.2010 - 03:24
laucian
Into the void & a voice in the dark > SFB
road of no release > NIME
Sacred Worls & Wheel of time > EPIC GREAT BG

Valkries,Control the Divine > IFTOS

i really liked this album..
30.07.2010 - 05:30
mikeprado30
This is for me the ALBUM OF THE YEAR! I don't believe that none band will get surpass this AMAZING level of majestuosity and epicness
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
30.07.2010 - 11:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It leaked, so this evening will be great
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.07.2010 - 17:19
Sword_Chant
Just listened to the whole thing through. It's a very good BG album, will probably be seen as one of their all time best releases, especially the concept and production. You can tell they worked hard on this. Good effort. I gave it a 9 on the vote, but overall I would actually give it 8.7. Might rate it higher though once it grows on me some more!
30.07.2010 - 17:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Didn't expect this to beat ReKreatur. But meh, don't care about those ratings, I'll give it a listen myself and decide.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.07.2010 - 17:52
Dani5050
I'm not a heavy/power metal fanatic myself but I found this album to be great, I was surprise by the quality, they worked hard on it indeed.
30.07.2010 - 19:04
Rating: 5
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant say much about it, its not disapointment, because we aready know thay never be like was in 1th 3 albums. Its not so bad how last one, but not ideal to, its so so album, whit 3 good songs, others bad, only whats from true real BG is Hans voice, otherwise its be total crap, but I wopnt buy it, I doubt I go watch band live, I stick whit classics till and encluding Nightfall
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.07.2010 - 19:30
JÄY
Metal slave
05. Curse My Name
06. Valkyries
07. Control The Divine
08. War Of The Thrones

the middle of the album slumps a little, for me..not in quality, but speed/catchyness/fun
30.07.2010 - 21:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I still havent heard it yet...I dunno whether to listen to the leak or not.
30.07.2010 - 22:30
Folkbill
Not bad, is it the last album for blind guardian?
----
--Non So Bill.
30.07.2010 - 22:43
Sword_Chant
Written by Folkbill on 30.07.2010 at 22:30

I highly doubt it!
30.07.2010 - 22:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Folkbill on 30.07.2010 at 22:30

No. Not unless they split up between now and the next one.

What made you think it was the last album?
31.07.2010 - 00:21
timgrimes
How good is this album really? i listened to the 3 songs offered online and I was not impressed, doesn't look like anything new from BG to me. Please prove me wrong and lets see how good these guys are on this project of theirs.

Hits total: 57333 | This month: 100