05. Deadlight
06. Dead World Assembly
07. A Phantom Dissonance
08. The Quiet Storm
09. The Death Of Hours
10. Wall Of Sighs [bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2011

Additional info
Available as limited digipak with bonus track and A2 poster.

A video was made for the song "The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight".

Recorded at Dead Dog Farm Studios by Johan Ericson
Drums recorded at Studio Mega by Johan Örnborg
Vocals recorded at Fascination Street Studios by Jens Bogren.

Produced by Johan Ericson, co-produced by Jens Bogren and Johan Örnborg
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.

Music written by Johan Ericson and Draconian
Lyrics written by Anders Jacobsson apart from "End of the Rope" and "The Death of Hours" written by Anders Jacobsson and Erik Arvidsson and "Elysian Night" written by Anders Jacobsson and Johan Ericson.

Artwork by Seth Siro Anton
Band photography by Linda Åkerberg.

Quote in "Dead World Assembly" taken from the poem" Earth's Answer".
Quote in "The Death of Hours" taken from the poem "Unforgotten".
Sample in "Elysian Night "from a reading of "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Being around since 1994, Draconian is one of those bands that had to be patient so as to see their visions come true and it wasn't until 2003 when their melodic gothic doom/death metal debut came to the surface. Despite their heavy influences from pioneering acts with personal sound (Theatre Of Tragedy, Katatonia, Paradise Lost to name the more dominant ones) they managed through their inspirational/emotional status and persuading performance to reach the hearts of the aforementioned scene's audience and create quite a buzz around them.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2011 | Comments (87)

Guest review by
Vonpire
Rating:
Whenever I hear Draconian playing, I feel a bag of mixed feelings: calm but heavy, deep and majestic. And especially something I don't feel with many bands... chills all over my spine. And that for me is priceless.

The first time I heard this album it didn't hit me exactly like I was expecting. Fortunately, what I thought of the album upon my first listen has been completely changed with the subsequent hearings. Now I put it at a high level of excellence, at the level of previous Draconian works. It brings them a more mature sound, but with the same geniality and force as ever, clearly showing that they are a top gothic/doom metal act with merit.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2011 | Comments (71)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 7

Comments: 185   Visited by: 1487 users
10.06.2011 - 07:14
Rating: 7
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Already pre-ordered this from Napalm along with Stream Of Passion's disc, and am hoping to receive them a few days before their release, as is the normal arrival time of their shipments to the US.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.06.2011 - 13:43
Rating: 6
Draugen
Pre-ordered from Napalm as soon as I could. I can barely wait to get my hands on it and I'm sure that Draconian won't disappoint me.
20.06.2011 - 08:14
advent
4 days left !!;D
24.06.2011 - 01:10
Assassiyoun
I hope they will come back to their roots, they are slowly losing their "doomish" touch. Turning Seasons Within was an average, unoriginal and boring gothic metal album. There was always the same lame synth ambient sounds in the background, the same guitar sound with not much change in the pace or anything whatsoever. The atmosphere that you have in songs like Death, Come Near Me or Heaven Laid In Tears was totally absent. I don't have high hopes for this one but maybe they will pull off something more like their début or Arcane Rain Fell ( The Burning Halo was also great).
----
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche
24.06.2011 - 03:58
Rating: 10
The Drowning Age is excellent! It has surpassed Death, Come Near Me as my favorite Draconian song. It is definitely more doom than TSW. It's my favorite Draconian album, and will more than likely be my album of the year!

"A new light will shine on our souls"

The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight is easily the weakest on the album imo.
24.06.2011 - 14:32
lolkek
Masterpiece. Finally an album you wait years for and don't get disappointed.
24.06.2011 - 15:32
What a atmosphere !!
24.06.2011 - 15:58
Night Sight
I heard the new song
but i want the whole album
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
24.06.2011 - 20:46
Rating: 9
In Bone Factory
" End Of The Rope" Woooow \m/
----
The End Is Nigh ...
25.06.2011 - 08:39
Cassian
Finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
25.06.2011 - 11:57
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
At last!! now i can commit suicide
25.06.2011 - 13:07
Amazing.......................................
----

http://www.last.fm/user/Bedeadorsatanic
25.06.2011 - 15:22
Cassian
Do you guys think this album somewhat comes nearer to melodic death doom metal?
26.06.2011 - 02:24
Natassja
Please, bring the old Draconian back!
26.06.2011 - 02:53
Rating: 8
Evilquince
Reminds me of Swallow the Sun at times, beautiful album
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
26.06.2011 - 06:36
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Wow. This is one of the most delicious albums I've heard all year.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
26.06.2011 - 09:25
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Cassian on 25.06.2011 at 15:22

havnt listened yet... but thats a) what I'm hoping for and b) what I'm expecting, due to the rating
26.06.2011 - 09:28
Vikingr
I am so jacked up for this, got it tonight and am about to give it my first listen:)
26.06.2011 - 11:22
advent
Did't like it that much, they are losing a lot of their songwriting skills and atmosphere for the sake of being simple and accessible and the same go for there doom touch, actually some parts of there album remember me of new theatre of tragedy .
26.06.2011 - 13:16
Cassian
Written by JÄY on 26.06.2011 at 09:25

havnt listened yet... but thats a) what I'm hoping for and b) what I'm expecting, due to the rating

I was looking forward to something similar to Turning Seasons Within, but the fact that they are leaning towards a more death doom sound makes it surprisingly amazing. And I love it.
26.06.2011 - 13:19
Cassian
Written by advent on 26.06.2011 at 11:22

Did't like it that much, they are losing a lot of their songwriting skills and atmosphere for the sake of being simple and accessible and the same go for there doom touch, actually some parts of there album remember me of new theatre of tragedy .

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't really agree with it. I don't think this album is "accessible" or "simple" in any aspect.
26.06.2011 - 13:45
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Cassian on 26.06.2011 at 13:16

Written by JÄY on 26.06.2011 at 09:25

I was looking forward to something similar to Turning Seasons Within, but the fact that they are leaning towards a more death doom sound makes it surprisingly amazing. And I love it.

great to hear my man! cant wait to get my hands on it
26.06.2011 - 13:46
lolkek
Written by advent on 26.06.2011 at 11:22

Please listen to the entire album before saying things like this, thanks.
26.06.2011 - 14:02
advent
@ lolkek : i listened to it till now over 6 times, still i don't find anything new they are delivering , 2 songs only worked for me and the rest are meh , maybe it just me , but i find there previous albums more interesting in terms of atmosphere ,songwriting and originality.
27.06.2011 - 16:42
Written by advent on 26.06.2011 at 14:02

they are losing a lot of their songwriting skills and atmosphere for the sake of being simple and accessible

I haven't listened to the album, but it sounds like people don't really agree with this line (and moreover, your whole assessment of the album). Perhaps you could clarify this by telling us what makes the songs so simple and accessible-sounding to you (ie. the production, the arrangement, or the lack of technical proficiency in the instruments or some other factor). I used to have opinions like you that no one would recognize-- this is more about drawing you out of your shell and seeing if we can reach some common ground.
27.06.2011 - 16:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
But Draconian have always been extremely accessible. So if it's even more accessible there really isn't anything left any more. I haven't heard this album yet but will check it out hoping it will be better than their previous albums which have primarily been spoiled by the female vocals/
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2011 - 17:19
Vonpire
So if it's accessible there is nothing left? Wow what a amazing sentence... Does that means that metal has to be inaccessible to be good?

Look the service jerk Hinokokera already rated this 1! Hahaha, what a joke!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
27.06.2011 - 19:05
Earthbound
Magnificent.
----
there's no place I can be since I found serenity
27.06.2011 - 19:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Vonpire on 27.06.2011 at 17:19

So if it's accessible there is nothing left? Wow what a amazing sentence... Does that means that metal has to be inaccessible to be good?

For me inaccessible use to mean that something is a bit more challenging that usual... because it brings something new to the table.
Draconian has never bring anything to any table imo. It's ok music, I fail to understand the hype just like Marcel.

My feelings towards Draconian are odd since there are some stuff a la beauty and the beast that I highly enjoy like Theatre Of tragedy... But Draconian just seem too easy for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.06.2011 - 19:32
Susan
Smeghead
elite
This album is delicious. Don't let the haters bring it down *cough*marcelandmrdoc*cough*
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 40537 | This month: 45