07. Material World Paranoia
08. Twisted Urges
09. Hidden Dictator
10. Mental Slavery

Top 20 albums of 1990: 9

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
Once, in an interview, Mille Petrozza stated that all the songs (except two) in the Coma Of Souls album are "filler" songs. As he said, this happened because their label (after the big success of Extreme Aggression) forced them to write new songs in a very short time so that their next album would be released as soon as possible.

Read more ››
published 29.06.2009 | Comments (7)

Found in 62 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 1420 users
20.03.2010 - 12:33
Pauleto
Account deleted
Excellent album, one of the best from Kreator!
21.03.2010 - 02:32
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This was the first album I heard by Kreator, and is my fave by them. I cant believe Mille said all but two songs on it are filler! I love every song on it, I think it's a classic thrash album.

Methinks Mille needs his ears syringed!
21.03.2010 - 14:53
Lord_Regnier

One of my favorite Thrash album of all time.

Concerning Mille comment: he should sit and listen to this album attentively. Perhaps it would remind him of how a great Thrash album sounds, a thing Kreator forgot after "Coma Of Souls".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.07.2010 - 05:19
Rating: 9
Sepulnation

Excellent album.. my fav song is ... I don't know!... I enjoy all these songs!
----
fuck shit up!
23.09.2011 - 12:57
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Not their best album, but some songs on here really are well written. This is the time when Kreator probably realised they were much more than a DIY Thrash Metal Band...
07.10.2011 - 03:30
@gent_-_orange

Written by Angelic Storm on 21.03.2010 at 02:32

This was the first album I heard by Kreator, and is my fave by them. I cant believe Mille said all but two songs on it are filler! I love every song on it, I think it's a classic thrash album.

Methinks Mille needs his ears syringed!

Yeah this album is excellent from start to finish, The lead guitar is killer as well, With most thrash i tend to zone out and focus on the riffs when a solo is played, But on songs like hidden dictator... wow.
07.10.2011 - 03:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 07.10.2011 at 03:30
Yeah this album is excellent from start to finish, The lead guitar is killer as well, With most thrash i tend to zone out and focus on the riffs when a solo is played, But on songs like hidden dictator... wow.

That is one of the main reasons why this is my fave Kreator album. The twin guitar interplay between Mille and Frank is just amazing! On a song like "Agents Of Brutality" the lead guitar is just mesmerising, whereas on "Terror Zone" it creates an increased level of excitement and tension. All the solos really add to the songs, rather than just being there for their own sake. Amazing album!
08.10.2011 - 00:57
@gent_-_orange

Written by Angelic Storm on 07.10.2011 at 03:41

Written by @gent_-_orange on 07.10.2011 at 03:30

That is one of the main reasons why this is my fave Kreator album. The twin guitar interplay between Mille and Frank is just amazing! On a song like "Agents Of Brutality" the lead guitar is just mesmerising, whereas on "Terror Zone" it creates an increased level of excitement and tension. All the solos really add to the songs, rather than just being there for their own sake. Amazing album!

Indeed. I think that Blackfire should get more credit TBH, if you listen to Sodom's Agent Orange you can hear a very similar lead style, Blackfires influence on both bands is obvious when you look at it.
08.10.2011 - 03:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 08.10.2011 at 00:57
Indeed. I think that Blackfire should get more credit TBH, if you listen to Sodom's Agent Orange you can hear a very similar lead style, Blackfires influence on both bands is obvious when you look at it.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more! In my eyes at least, Frank Blackfire was a major factor in Sodom becoming a top tier thrash band, unlike the 2nd or even 3rd rate one that they were before he joined. The leap in standards musically between the the very first Sodom releases and "Persecution Mania" is huge and Frank was the reason for that. Which is something that just continued on with "Agent Orange". They made some good albums after Frank left, but that's probably because of the sense of musicianship and professionalism that he brought to the band. Sodom would have got nowhere without Frank, I feel certain of that. And they largely have him to thank for the legendary status that they now have.

Unlike Sodom, Kreator were already a great band before Frank came into the picture, but still, his influence on the band is undeniable when you hear "Coma Of Souls". He brought an added sense of flair and melodic sensibility to Kreator that you can hear all over that album. Which I think is why it's my fave by them. Although it's still savagely heavy at times, that added flair and harmnonic awareness is very obvious in many of the albums' songs. Frank definitely deserves more credit for his role in legendary german thrash, and as a guitarist, he's immensely underrated. His solos are well thought out, and explosive too.
19.01.2012 - 21:22
Thrash del Sur

This album is sooo clever!! Mile described the big problems that happes today in a very acurated way...and it was 1989!!. Greedy corporations(Material World Paranoia), global warming (When the sun burns red), cut throat politics (Hidden Dictator), media control (Mental Slavery)... I learned english with this album traslating it. This album imo is to Kreator like Reing in Blood, to Slayer and Rust in Peace to Megadeth.
01.03.2012 - 21:02
Korah

My Favourite by Kreator, the most Progressive.
----
Don't cry for my English
13.10.2012 - 23:53
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Best Thrash Metal album ever!!!
09.11.2012 - 22:59
megadeath13
Account deleted
Great album like (nearly) always. When the sun burns red and the title track belong to my favourite Kreator songs.
30.01.2013 - 21:03
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 21.03.2010 at 02:32

I cant believe Mille said all but two songs on it are filler!

Shit. Super old revive but was just browsing this album thread, and if he actually said that... I hate to say I could believe him though, I think I could guess the 2 non-fillers songs, at least one anyways for sure. (opening track and definitely Terror Zone)
23.05.2013 - 00:10
Illog1cal
Account deleted
This is the album where everything fits and works like clockwork for Kreator, there are no boring moments in my opinion, apart from maybe 'Terror Zone' which starts of with slow tempo chord stomping that is not too interesting or headbangable but the song improves greatly in the last half.

The tremolo picked riff in 'Agents of Brutality' is one of the most powerful riffs ever, I cannot get enough of that song. The riff in the latter parts of 'Material World Paranoia' is also amazing. There are too many great riffs to mention. Solos are brilliant too, and they do add a lot to the songs and the album as a whole.
23.11.2014 - 14:17
SebaBress

Kreator's biggest work without doubt, has the feel of the old school thrash we all love, combined with great (and well thought) lyrics, mind-blowing solos and wonderful riffs, that will be carved in your mind for a long time.

This album can (and mostly will) take all energy of the world and put it in you until it finish. The song who puts name to the disk "Coma of Souls" in pair with "People Of The Lie" are the greatest tracks of it, but the other songs are far away of being boring, there is no song here that will not make you headbang.

An incredible work, a classic album of Thrash that I dare to say: Contains some of the great hymns of the sub-genre.
23.11.2014 - 15:57
Wingtorte

Wow...think this is the first time I've ever heard people praising Coma of Souls...fucking trippy Terrible album.
23.11.2014 - 15:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Wingtorte on 23.11.2014 at 15:57

Wow...think this is the first time I've ever heard people praising Coma of Souls.

That seems a bit weird. 8.7 from 550 voters on here, 95% from 19 reviews on MA, joint highest rated Kreator album on RYM. Seems like this album gets praise from the vast majority of people that have heard it.
23.11.2014 - 18:03
Wingtorte

Written by Guest on 23.11.2014 at 15:59

Wow...think this is the first time I've ever heard people praising Coma of Souls.

That seems a bit weird. 8.7 from 550 voters on here, 95% from 19 reviews on MA, joint highest rated Kreator album on RYM. Seems like this album gets praise from the vast majority of people that have heard it.

Could well be because I haven't bothered to read many reviews on it to be honest. When talking to other Kreator fans irl and on forums I most frequently see people pissing on it as the step towards Kreator's demise than praising it. Admittedly it could have to do with the types of fans I'm usually acquainted with who are more likely to have a similar opinion as I am.
24.11.2014 - 03:38
LordHypnos
Account deleted

Wow...think this is the first time I've ever heard people praising Coma of Souls...fucking trippy Terrible album.

Pff. You call this terrible?

24.11.2014 - 03:55
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Dis Kreator, best Kreator.
24.11.2014 - 04:40
Wingtorte

Written by Guest on 24.11.2014 at 03:38

Pff. You call this terrible?

Yep I do. There are literally 2 riffs in the entire song that I find appealing and they hardly dominate or manage to save the song from aimlessly meandering around the rest of the time. To me lacks intensity and direction. Compared to Pleasure to Kill, Command of the Blade, Son of Evil, Flag of Hate or Ripping Corpse there's really no comparison imo.
24.11.2014 - 04:54
Fearmeister
Account deleted
24.11.2014 - 18:16
Wingtorte

Written by Guest on 24.11.2014 at 04:54

Right back at ya if you think Coma of Souls is "best Kreator" PtK, Endless Pain and Extreme Aggression kick the shit out of this album. Terrible Certainty wasn't great, but even TC at least had more piss n' vinegar than this.
24.11.2014 - 19:46
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Wingtorte on 24.11.2014 at 18:16

Right back at ya if you think Coma of Souls is "best Kreator" PtK, Endless Pain and Extreme Aggression kick the shit out of this album. Terrible Certainty wasn't great, but even TC at least had more piss n' vinegar than this.

I wouldn't pity me since I like those albums too
24.11.2014 - 19:53
Wingtorte

And yet you still think CoS is Kreator at their best...
24.11.2014 - 19:58
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Wingtorte on 24.11.2014 at 19:53

So why do you pity me for the album bringing me so much joy?
24.11.2014 - 20:18
Wingtorte

Written by Guest on 24.11.2014 at 19:58

Written by Wingtorte on 24.11.2014 at 19:53

So why do you pity me for the album bringing me so much joy?

And why in turn would you pity me for thinking its a boring pile of trash and preferring to derive said joy from better Kreator albums like PtK? To turn this into a kindergarten argument it was you who referred to me as pitiable first when I said "Yep I do. There are literally 2 riffs in the entire song that I find appealing and they hardly dominate or manage to save the song from aimlessly meandering around the rest of the time. To me lacks intensity and direction. Compared to Pleasure to Kill, Command of the Blade, Son of Evil, Flag of Hate or Ripping Corpse there's really no comparison imo."

Note my "I-statements" bitches!
07.12.2016 - 19:55
Branowar
Account deleted
I'm usually turned off by old school thrash, but this thing is amazing. Love the reverb. It doesn't sound too splattery like a lot of older thrash releases. I think the riffing is probably ahead of its time too.
05.01.2019 - 20:50
Rating: 7
Maasai Mara

Alternates between being an all-out thrash attack and making you sleep.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.

Hits total: 28103 | This month: 57