* Toby Wright - additional engineer
* Steve Thompson; Michael Barbiero - mixing
* George Cowan - assistant mixing engineer
* Bob Ludwig - audio mastering

* James Hetfield; Lars Ulrich - cover concept
* Stephen Gorman; Pushead - illustrations
* Ross Halfin - photography
* Reiner Design Consultants, Inc. - design, layout

The live bonus tracks were recorded live on August 29, 1989 at the Seattle Coliseum in Seattle, WA and mixed by Mike Gillies.

Guest review by
Joey Jo Jo
Rating:
Hmmm, so this is the last "true" Metallica classic? Let me start off by saying a lot of fans consider this to be their "progressive" album, while after hearing it through, the only thing I can point out that has "progressed" is the band's ability to bore the listener into a deep coma after a couple tracks.

Read more ››
published 05.08.2005 | Comments (92)

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
When I came across Aguirre's review of Metallica's '...And Justice For All', I immediately spewed Coca-Cola everywhere and threatened the non-stickiness of my keyboard. I didn't see it coming, I guess. Aguirre is entitled to his opinion, but what follows is my review of Metallica's 'last great' and 'progressive' album.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2007 | Comments (40)

Guest review by
!Mac!
Rating:
It can easily be said that music is a photo in time. A fragment in where society is once shot, forever leaving the remembrance of where and who we were. This translates directly and more so intently to an artist or band, and where they were in their lives and careers when a piece of work was released. For Metallica in 1988, two-years removed from a loss of a brother, a friend and a band mate, bassist Cliff Burton, they showed their scars in an album that I can only help but adore. "?And Justice For All" is a long, (65-minutes long, 10 less than the maximum) drawn out, epic, loud, angry, and emotionally charged record that sweeps its listeners up into its messages and endless musicianship.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2008 | Comments (5)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Metallica! Need we say anything more about this band? They are the biggest Heavy Metal band ever to have existed, sold more records than any other Metal band and have performed in almost all the countries on the planet. They are the fathers of Thrash Metal and are one of the most influential bands of all time. Most of you know a great deal about them so I won't be elaborating anymore.

Read more ››
published 04.07.2010 | Comments (27)

Found in 156 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 138   Visited by: 2681 users
07.03.2012 - 04:25
Rating: 8
jukebox1480

I do love this album,but some songs are a bit to long for their own good.
31.05.2012 - 22:26
neiluria

To live is to die!!! Tribute to Cliff Burton, an excellent album!
07.07.2012 - 11:27
Rating: 10
lord artan

This album is awesome
02.10.2012 - 15:34
LordHypnos
Account deleted
The only song I liked was Blackened. Most tracks are boring, especially the title-track. The lyrics are nice, though.
10.10.2012 - 21:32
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 15:34

The only song I liked was Blackened. Most tracks are boring, especially the title-track. The lyrics are nice, though.

(in these moments i'm listening the song, studio album, with a high volume and high bass, )

Oh, I had the luck to listen the entire song ...And Justice For All in a concert, Electric Weekend Getafe 31-05-2008, 9:38 minutes (i have the entire concert downloaded in mp3)... this was outstanding, epic, metal master song!! =)

10.10.2012 - 23:03
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Could be my favorite metallica relsease....this or Kill em All
11.10.2012 - 01:17
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Hmmmm, well I never make fanboy comments...
Best album ever!!!
11.10.2012 - 02:53
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 10.10.2012 at 21:32

Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 15:34

(in these moments i'm listening the song, studio album, with a high volume and high bass, )

Oh, I had the luck to listen the entire song ...And Justice For All in a concert, Electric Weekend Getafe 31-05-2008, 9:38 minutes (i have the entire concert downloaded in mp3)... this was outstanding, epic, metal master song!! =)

"Epic" song with James's new and "epic" vocals, Lars's "professional" drumming, Kirk's "amazing" soloing live, yeah, right...
I'm glad I didn't watch this concert, I'd rather watch the concerts from the 80's around YouTube...
13.11.2012 - 10:45
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Second favorite Metallica album (very close to #1), this is a great release. I always thought the lack of bass really complemented and added to the harsh, unforgiving atmosphere this album creates despite everyone else bitching and complaining about it (you don't hear much bass in traditional black metal, but no one gives a damn there, but I digress ). Even though I haven't really listened to Metallica in a while, their 80s albums will always be classics no matter how many times I return to them.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.01.2013 - 04:09
Rating: 6
Nigel Peppercock

To me, this album has it's moments and standout tracks ("One", "Blackened", and "Dyers Eve") but apart from those tracks, this album is often tiring, repetitive, and even annoying at times. For example, the title track could've easily been among Metallica's best songs if it didn't go on for 10 minutes. This album also feels slower than metallica's earlier efforts. Overall it's not a terrible album, but it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth when it's all said and done.
----
"A victim of someone else's choice
The ones who suffer have no voice"
21.01.2013 - 13:26
Theberzerker

This is what to be called thrash metal \m/
06.03.2013 - 02:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Listening all in chronology .... this make sence, this is week and only one good song what calls One, rest are week, still thrash but .... ok I do like drumming in song Nr 2 opening part of drumming but still this is hard to listen, seems band understood wright that thay need chanches and next one was lil diferent and OK, if band wont make changes who knows .... because this was ''boring''
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.03.2013 - 11:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And according to BE/K7 logic a weak and boring album deserves an 8, weird
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2013 - 15:55
Rating: 7
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.03.2013 at 11:50

And according to BE/K7 logic a weak and boring album deserves an 8, weird

It's weak and boring in a good way
01.05.2013 - 20:07
Sonofman

You guys are way "off base" IMO with this album, calling it boring and all. The song structures progressed some, the guitar talent was pushed (in that it isnt just base note- power chord formula ) such as their earlier albums and Lars' drumming was at its best, not to say he improved much over MOP. Thelack of bass isn't even a problem for me- it suits the album's personality. ...Justice, Metallica at their darkest.
----
D- J - A - N - G - O... The D is silent.
02.06.2013 - 03:12
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The guitar tone and Hetfields vocals alone are enough for me to like this album a lot. Lyrics are the best they have ever been for Metallica, the progression of the songs and the harmonies are very nice.
15.02.2014 - 01:49
pkillerjp

This is the only time Metallica really sounded pissed, serious, and scary. This is the peak before the fall, and it's without a doubt a classic. All the albums before this one are also very important and some close to flawless (Puppets), but Justice is nostalgic as all heck and features Hetfield at is absolute best vocally and Lars at his best behind the kit by so far it's not even funny. I find people who hate this album very weird indeed. One of the best metal albums of all time.
15.02.2014 - 12:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by pkillerjp on 15.02.2014 at 01:49

This is the only time Metallica really sounded pissed, serious, and scary. This is the peak before the fall, and it's without a doubt a classic. All the albums before this one are also very important and some close to flawless (Puppets), but Justice is nostalgic as all heck and features Hetfield at is absolute best vocally and Lars at his best behind the kit by so far it's not even funny. I find people who hate this album very weird indeed. One of the best metal albums of all time.

Agree this was Lars best drumming performance, just a shame it sounded so horrible on the album. Not sure what was going on there but I can't stand the sound of the drums on this album. Shame really, because he really takes it up a notch for me.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
15.02.2014 - 15:17
pkillerjp

Written by Ace Frawley on 15.02.2014 at 12:40

Agree this was Lars best drumming performance, just a shame it sounded so horrible on the album. Not sure what was going on there but I can't stand the sound of the drums on this album. Shame really, because he really takes it up a notch for me.

The production is weird but it suits the album, it's hollow and lifeless. His drum performance is astounding and his drumming on this tour was great as well. I also wish James kept his vocals sounding like this, his best performance.
19.02.2014 - 13:31
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Written by Ace Frawley on 15.02.2014 at 12:40

Agree this was Lars best drumming performance, just a shame it sounded so horrible on the album. Not sure what was going on there but I can't stand the sound of the drums on this album.

Nothing will top the horrible production of St. Anger.

Also, most of this album is boring. Don't know why they insist in songs of 10 minutes, most of the times doesn't fit their music.
19.02.2014 - 21:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Rulatore on 19.02.2014 at 13:31

Also, most of this album is boring. Don't know why they insist in songs of 10 minutes, most of the times doesn't fit their music.

What, you think most of this album is boring? Let's cease all further correspondence in relation to this topic.
----
19.02.2014 - 22:50
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I've been going through their discography recently and from out of nowhere Justice has started to challenge Ride the Lightning as my favourite Metallica album.
20.02.2014 - 04:51
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Azarath on 19.02.2014 at 22:50

I've been going through their discography recently and from out of nowhere Justice has started to challenge Ride the Lightning as my favourite Metallica album.

That's cause it's better!
21.02.2014 - 04:23
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Written by Ace Frawley on 19.02.2014 at 21:40

Written by Rulatore on 19.02.2014 at 13:31

What, you think most of this album is boring? Let's cease all further correspondence in relation to this topic.

The first and major problem is the length of the songs. The riffs repeats a thousands times, if you want to write something long, at least try a little diversity, something that one can last hearing it for more than 5 minutes. 80% of the song is one riff repeating over and over, the rest is some solos and something really different that happens in the music. There's isn't a song I get tired after reaching the half of it.

And the production it's pretty bad.
06.03.2014 - 20:13
pkillerjp

Written by Reality03 on 20.02.2014 at 15:50

AJFA is a very good album but better than RTL? No way...

I like it better than RTL. RTL is a great classic, but their still young, and James sounds way better on Justice. The songs being long don't bother me in the slightest, their long but interesting.
06.03.2014 - 21:13
Lit.
Account deleted
It is nowhere near the greatness that was Ride The Lightning, though I will admit my opinion towards it has warmed slightly. It's long and plastic but it's got a lot of good moments to it.
11.03.2014 - 16:56
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_

This is the peak before the fall,

I'd say it was a sign that where Metallica was going was nowhere. After Cliff Burton died, they had no idea how to make long, complex songs. They were very smart to simplify their sound on the Black Album. Regardless of what old diehard Metallica fans might think, the Black Album is quite good. They would see it if they stopped comparing it to Ride the Lightning.
12.03.2014 - 19:41
pkillerjp

Written by Daniell on 11.03.2014 at 16:56

This is the peak before the fall,

I'd say it was a sign that where Metallica was going was nowhere. After Cliff Burton died, they had no idea how to make long, complex songs. They were very smart to simplify their sound on the Black Album. Regardless of what old diehard Metallica fans might think, the Black Album is quite good. They would see it if they stopped comparing it to Ride the Lightning.

I agree with one of your points, that being the Black album is quite good. The Black album is probably the 2nd most important metal album in history, for turning on new listeners to metal, the first being the Sabbath debut of course. As for Justice, I get all the criticisms, the songs are very long, the bass is not audible, the production is tinny, but I can't lie to myself, I have always loved listening to the album front to back. Blackened is a simply ferocious opener, One is legendary, absolutely legendary, the title track I guess is what most people point to as long and boring- I love it, Harvester of Sorrow, Shortest Straw, the completely thrashing Dyer's Eve...It's just stacked with great quality songs front to back...Plus I'll mention it again Hetfield completely owns on this album, and the drums are unbelievable, even Hammet shines throughout. I'd rephrase my prior statement, it's not really the peak before the fall, meaning Black album was bad, just a peak before their slow descent that was forewarned on the Black album and led to disaster afterwards.

edit- As for the line on not knowing how to write long songs after Cliff Burton died....the fact that millions of fans worldwide love this album and appreciate the songs on it as metal classics such as myself is enough in itself to prove that wrong. I've heard every possible "after Cliff Burton died" arrangement possible. "If he never died they wouldn't have wrote the Black album or sold out"" If he never died they would still know how to write long songs, lmao", if he never died Lars wouldn't never spoke out against Napster"'' Each one is more ridiculous than the next. The truth is if he never died, metal would still have one of it's genuine bass legends and a supposedly pretty cool guy. That's it.
14.03.2014 - 03:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by pkillerjp on 12.03.2014 at 19:41

I agree with one of your points, that being the Black album is quite good. The Black album is probably the 2nd most important metal album in history, for turning on new listeners to metal, the first being the Sabbath debut of course. As for Justice, I get all the criticisms, the songs are very long, the bass is not audible, the production is tinny, but I can't lie to myself, I have always loved listening to the album front to back. Blackened is a simply ferocious opener, One is legendary, absolutely legendary, the title track I guess is what most people point to as long and boring- I love it, Harvester of Sorrow, Shortest Straw, the completely thrashing Dyer's Eve...It's just stacked with great quality songs front to back...Plus I'll mention it again Hetfield completely owns on this album, and the drums are unbelievable, even Hammet shines throughout. I'd rephrase my prior statement, it's not really the peak before the fall, meaning Black album was bad, just a peak before their slow descent that was forewarned on the Black album and led to disaster afterwards.

edit- As for the line on not knowing how to write long songs after Cliff Burton died....the fact that millions of fans worldwide love this album and appreciate the songs on it as metal classics such as myself is enough in itself to prove that wrong. I've heard every possible "after Cliff Burton died" arrangement possible. "If he never died they wouldn't have wrote the Black album or sold out"" If he never died they would still know how to write long songs, lmao", if he never died Lars wouldn't never spoke out against Napster"'' Each one is more ridiculous than the next. The truth is if he never died, metal would still have one of it's genuine bass legends and a supposedly pretty cool guy. That's it.

Well said, Sir. I definitely agree with your points. I dub thee THE VOICE OF REASON.
----
14.03.2014 - 17:26
pkillerjp

"Well said, Sir. I definitely agree with your points. I dub thee THE VOICE OF REASON."

Excellent play on words and band subject -- I always thought the truly great bands could write flawed albums and still have them be masterpieces- AJFA and the Black album are fine examples, also the Sabbath debut- far from perfect from a reviewers perspective, but oh so legendary.

Hits total: 42770 | This month: 84