Metal Storm logo
Anathema - New Album Details

Anathema have officially announced the release of their eagerly anticipated eighth studio album We're Here Because We're Here, to be released on May 31st via Kscope Records.

Danny Cavanagh comments: "We're Here Because We're Here is Anathema's most expansive album to date and by the far best thing we've ever done. Not only have we improved as writers, but because we took our time, we had the opportunity to select the very best material and concentrate on it. We gave the songs the chance to breathe and come alive by themselves and it's ended up being magical - every song is as good as the rest of them. This album features the best performances by the band ever; Vincent's greatest vocals and John's and my best writing."

Vincent goes further in explaining the origins of the album's enigmatic title: "The title We're Here Because We're Here is inspired by a song that was first heard across the Allied trenches of World War One. Sung to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne", the song served as a defiant rallying-call keeping up the morale of those who had to endure the incessant carnage and almost unimaginable horror. The spirit behind those words, and the deep questions they raised immediately struck all of us. Therefore we have appropriated these words to reflect the spirit and bond that all six members of the group have with each other. We have shared some incredible experiences, on all levels, and the fact that we have emerged stronger, more determined, and confident in our common vision is a testament to our resilience, both as individuals and collectively"

Danny continues: "The bond is deeper than the music and you might say the direction of music is a product of our connection to each other; a real family in every sense of the word."

With that in mind the band can announce that John Douglas' sister Lee has joined the group on a full-time basis. She had this to say of her involvement: "It's great to be more involved musically, and I feel that my vocals are adding a new presence and depth to the dynamic of the group. I'm in it for the long haul, so bring it on!"

The self-produced album was mixed by Steven Wilson ( Porcupine Tree) and features the exquisite string arrangements of Dave Stewart (Stewart/Gaskin, Porcupine Tree) and mastering skills of legendary Jon Astley (The Who, Led Zeppelin). The song "Angels Walk Among Us" features subtle backing vocals by Ville Valo of HIM.

We're Here Because We're Here [cover art] tracklist:

01. Thin Air
02. Summernight Horizon
03. Dreaming Light
04. Everything
05. Angels Walk Among Us
06. Presence
07. A Simple Mistake
08. The Storm Before the Calm
09. Get Off, Get Out
10. Universal
11. Hindsight

Source: anathema.ws
Band profile: Anathema
Posted: 20.03.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   Visited by: 265 users
20.03.2010 - 23:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Awesome news. It's gona be released on my birthday, how curious. At least now I know what present to ask for.

I'm very curious about this album, I don't think Wilson would be involved if it was crappy. And besides, it's Anathema, when did they ever release bad albums? Not in my book.

Not loving the album title but the cover is beautiful.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.03.2010 - 01:10
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 20.03.2010 at 23:09

Awesome news. It's gona be released on my birthday, how curious. At least now I know what present to ask for.

I'm very curious about this album, I don't think Wilson would be involved if it was crappy. And besides, it's Anathema, when did they ever release bad albums? Not in my book.

Not loving the album title but the cover is beautiful.

You're from May too? Ahahah May 16th here

I agree with you. I'm also curious about this release and I'm sure its going to be another great album. And since I have interests in war related subjects, I kinda get the message of the title.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
21.03.2010 - 01:34
Sulvrot

This news made my month.
21.03.2010 - 02:03
Graveheart

Whoa, it looks like they're serious about releasing an album this time. I think this was first announced in, hmm, early 2007 maybe?
21.03.2010 - 05:03
the stranger

This are the greatest news of the year so far.
21.03.2010 - 07:33
Zuzuz0r

I'm not much of a fan of their more recent stuff, but this kinda seems interesting(except for Ville Valo being there), they haven't made a new album in like 7 years, so well, probably I'll look forward to this.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
21.03.2010 - 07:51
Behdaad
DEAD
O my Gooooooooooood!
I am the happiest man in the world!
Dark Tranquillity, Draconian, Anathema: All release in 2010!
Wow!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
21.03.2010 - 10:38
Freezer

I can't wait for this. Seven years.
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
21.03.2010 - 11:51
Enissa

Ok its about time, the cover is very nice, looking awesome indeed!!!
21.03.2010 - 23:11
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Interesting news. Also the cover art is pretty good. We're Here Because We're Here placed on my wishlist and I'm looking forward to listen to some audio samples in the coming weeks.
22.03.2010 - 10:26
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Looking forward to this release! I'm glad Valo's backing vocals will make a brief appearance too
22.03.2010 - 10:28
atrox

I don't believe it until I have it
22.03.2010 - 13:23
Forsaker

22.03.2010 - 19:50
JohnDoe
Account deleted
This is great news, i'm looking forward to this!
22.03.2010 - 23:49
xplanet2112

Yeah, it's about time and I can't wait to hear this because it sound like they've been left to create music and art rather than product!

I think the title's great, it's not about how it sounds it's about what those word ment to the people who happen to have lived through something as awful as WW1
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
23.03.2010 - 15:55
IronAngel

I bet it's out sometime next year. >_<

The new stuff sounds great though.

Hits total: 6478 | This month: 6