05. Coming At You
06. Dreams Come True
07. Telling Lies
08. I Don't Need This
09. Words Of Wisdom
10. My Last Words
11. Your Time Has Come
12. The Faith

During his break with Iced Earth, Tim Owens is doing some music with Beyond Fear which is the name of his new solo project by the way. Let's say it now, if you're looking for something new and original, I fully doubt that you'll be happy with this album, because for sure this release is extremely classic, but if you want a good old powerful Thrashy Heavy Metal (a la American sauce) by God, don't miss this release!

As you can understand, Tim didn't create something really new with his "own" band. And, I mean that in any case I believe that Ripper wanted to do something outstandingly new and original, he just wanted to play some good old blasting Heavy Metal. And he did it! "Beyon Fear' the first album of the band is an album full of powerful songs. The music is extremely basic on a side with a lot of catchy Heavy guitars riffs but with a lot of good melodies too (like on "Dreams Come True"). On the other hand, it's not Power Metal or classic Heavy a la Judas Priest, here with Beyond Fear, we're in front of a pure American Power/Heavy which means that the riffs aren't so far of Thrash. It's aggressive as hell with fast and enraged tempos and if you like this kind of music, you'll probably enjoy a lot this album.

Also, Tim Owens is just awesome on this release. Of course, the excellent recording helps probably a lot but for sure Tim is doing his best here. His voices, the really high one like the "normal" one, are perfect and it's simply the proof that this guy is one of the best singers of the Metal scene. So ok we have a lot of good things on this album and well its only problem comes from the originality of the music and of the songs, but damn at least, it's extremely solid.

Nothing-new here but "Beyond Fear" is an excellent album of Heavy Metal. All the ones who want some pure aggressive but melodic music will have to check this album. It's a good release and even if I didn't find some cult songs on this album, I'm sure that you'll pass a good moment when you'll listen to it.

Written by Jeff | 26.04.2006

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 52 users
08.08.2006 - 17:18
Olddoggie
Account deleted
A must have for Tim'Ripper' Owens fans, far better than the stuff he pulled with Iced Earth or Judas Priest. Lyrics are a bit cheezy, but the music is fast and perfect, the singing is more than perfect!! (Save me is a good example of Tim's capabilities!) Give it a go, you won't be dissapointed.
08.12.2006 - 10:07
Susan
Smeghead
Jeff, I think you are too polite in this review Well, to be fair I only listened to the first few songs before deciding I didn't want to hear any more. Maybe it got better later on!

I didn't realize Tim Owens was on vocals until I read this review. This really confirms for me that I do NOT like him (as opposed to just being nostalgic for Barlow on the new IE). His performance is not bad, just dull and slightly annoying.

The music brings nothing original or unique (like you say in the review) but as a fan of this genre I still got bored. You don't have to be unique to be good... you just have to be good!!! I would have given this album a 6 or 6.5 at most. It's not BAD by any means, just too weak an effort for my tastes!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.12.2006 - 16:58
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 08.12.2006 at 10:07

Jeff, I think you are too polite in this review Well, to be fair I only listened to the first few songs before deciding I didn't want to hear any more. Maybe it got better later on!

I didn't realize Tim Owens was on vocals until I read this review. This really confirms for me that I do NOT like him (as opposed to just being nostalgic for Barlow on the new IE). His performance is not bad, just dull and slightly annoying.

The music brings nothing original or unique (like you say in the review) but as a fan of this genre I still got bored. You don't have to be unique to be good... you just have to be good!!! I would have given this album a 6 or 6.5 at most. It's not BAD by any means, just too weak an effort for my tastes!

Cleary you are joking with being a fan, right? This is a weak effort, I'd like to know a good effort, from this genre, that was released this year. I don't say it's an orginal album, that's cleary the lowpoint of this album, but it's a very good straight forward heavy metal album. I can't believe I quoted you, but to be sincere I really understand what is so boring about this album, but hey maybe I don't know what good metal is and you might be right, as a fan of the genre.

The funny thing is that everybody says it's a good album, except you...
09.12.2006 - 19:43
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 09.12.2006 at 16:58

Written by Susan on 08.12.2006 at 10:07

Cleary you are joking with being a fan, right? This is a weak effort, I'd like to know a good effort, from this genre, that was released this year. I don't say it's an orginal album, that's cleary the lowpoint of this album, but it's a very good straight forward heavy metal album. I can't believe I quoted you, but to be sincere I really understand what is so boring about this album, but hey maybe I don't know what good metal is and you might be right, as a fan of the genre.

The funny thing is that everybody says it's a good album, except you...

Well that's the funny thing about opinions, sometimes they're different
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.05.2008 - 00:40
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I heard the opener and felt nothing, sounded like Owen in Priest but worse (the music). His vocals are as cool as ever but that's not enough.

Hits total: 5620 | This month: 2