03. Terra Incognita
04. Open Session
05. Ishtar
06. The Blood Remains On The Believer
07. Elegy
08. Angel With No Destination
09. Minas Tirith
10. The Mind [bonus]

I started writing official reviews for Metal Storm in 2008 and each year so far I've received a Cypriot album of a different band, each with the brothers Nicholas (vocalist) and Socrates (guitarist) Leptos on board. You can check the 2008 review for Diphtheria here and the 2009 review for Prodigal Earth here. Now one could muse that as Cyprus isn't very big, they might not have enough singers and guitarists to fill all their metal bands with, but let's just consider the two brothers as very busy metalheads for now.

The only album from Cyprus I'll be reviewing today though, is Arryan Paths ('Arryan' with two 'R's is apparently a type of flower by the way, and has nothing to do with nonsensical 'Aryan' (one 'R') ideology) second album; Terra Incognita.

Starting off with a over nine-minutes beast of a song, the band sets things straight right away, proving to be fully capable of writing well-structured, catchy and slightly progressive heavy metal goodness. Sprinklings of middle-eastern sounds, as suggested by the artwork and a good lesson in epicness are added in for free! Although the opening song is the one that impressed me most, the follow-ups are no slouches either. The music has a slightly oldschoolish feeling to it at times, as well as a small nod to Iron Maiden here and there.

Originality in metal is rare nowadays and Arryan Path is no exception. Production and music are top notch though, so if you're into epic/melodic heavy/power metal, I can't see a reason for you not to pick it up. A highly enjoyable album, which leaves me wondering what Cypriot album I'll be reviewing in 2011.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 21.03.2010

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 198 users
21.03.2010 - 23:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Road to Macedonia vs this, whitch is better wher emore Hellenic feelings?
yeah we all know what is Greeks
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.03.2010 - 00:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Anyone can tell me, which flower is this "arryan"?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.03.2010 - 15:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ellrohir on 22.03.2010 at 00:16

Anyone can tell me, which flower is this "arryan"?

Apparently it's a North American wildflower, but I searched through 10 pages of Google (keywords: Arryan +flower), various wildflower websites, and even Wikipedia.

None of the above attempts resulted in finding this Arryan flower. In fact the only mention of such a flower existing comes from the band (and therefore reviews of the album), so maybe it's just a hoax. I'll read further into their lyrics...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2010 - 19:26
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
This is the official statement from the label:

"Hoping to clear the controversy surrounding the band's name once and for all, first and foremost PITCH BLACK RECORDS has a zero tolerance on racism and is very firm on NOT collaborating with anyone lacking respect for different races and ethnicities. "Arryan" (double 'r') is simply a type of flower and has NOTHING to do with "Aryan" and its associations with Nazism. "

So I have no idea if such a flower really exists, like Troy I could also imagine that it doesn't exist, but I don't believe the band embraces aryan ideology either.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
22.03.2010 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bas on 22.03.2010 at 19:26

"

So I have no idea if such a flower really exists, like Troy I could also imagine that it doesn't exist, but I don't believe the band embraces aryan ideology either.

band idiology is Hellenic, ancient greece, all who's comnnected whit culture they proudly can say Macedinonia is Greece , all idea is connected wht helenic and there nothing to do whit NS
Damn Leptos is AEK
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2010 - 21:28
Got Mayhem?

It seems odd that a label with such a firm stance on racism would have a band with such an easily misunderstood name. It really appears to me that it's a headache that could have been easily avoided with a simple change of name.
----
22.03.2010 - 22:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well there are some so called "NS" bands who are playing about greek mythology...this is not the determining factor...

but i have found, that "Arryan" should be some kind of transcription of "Arrayan" which is much more common word used for various shrubs from Myrtaceae family...

but it is strange to use such a name...they should called them "Myrtle Path" then and it would mean the same...but it wont be so "provoking"...
----

22.03.2010 - 22:19
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I don't see what the problem is: Link
22.03.2010 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Introspekrieg on 22.03.2010 at 22:19

I don't see what the problem is: Link

Of cours eit is alright for INdian to use it cause the Arayan people are from the north of India. Nothing more nothing less
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2010 - 23:10
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Got Mayhem? on 22.03.2010 at 21:28

It seems odd that a label with such a firm stance on racism would have a band with such an easily misunderstood name. It really appears to me that it's a headache that could have been easily avoided with a simple change of name.

The band is a couple years older than the (tiny) label, which exists since 2008, the mastermind of Arryan Path being on three of the five albums the label has released so far, whatever that might imply... nontheless I agree with you that the name simply isn't a good choice.

And I wonder if anyone is going to comment the music instead of the band name any time soon. Not that I'm counting on it anymore though
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
23.03.2010 - 00:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bas on 22.03.2010 at 23:10

And I wonder if anyone is going to comment the music instead of the band name any time soon. Not that I'm counting on it anymore though

its like me asking MS staff to judge those "NS" bands like Temnozor or Nokturnal Mortum according to the music they produce and not the things the band members say - for some reason it doesnt work so here...so why i cannot troll a little about this band? i am pretty sure, there is an intention of provoking behind this name...
----

23.03.2010 - 18:07
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Bad English on 21.03.2010 at 23:25

Road to Macedonia vs this, whitch is better wher emore Hellenic feelings?
yeah we all know what is Greeks

no, they are CYPRIOTS who admire a little bit more greek mythology than others ;p
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
23.03.2010 - 18:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
C mon its Arryan whit 2 RR but thet aryan what we all think first is whit one R

Music I can judge it because I know onl 1th album
----

apos;'
[image]
16.01.2011 - 00:19
GT
Coffee!!
Just heard the album today and I really like it. Reminds me a bit of Bloodbound and that's not bad at all
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 7375 | This month: 4