Andre Matos - vocals
Bob Catley - vocals
Ralf Zdiarstek - vocals
Bruce Kulick - guitars
Felix Bohnke - drums
Oliver Hartmann - guitars, backing vocals
Simon Oberender - hammond organ

Additional info
Produced by Sascha Paeth and Tobias Sammet.

Backing vocals: Cloudy Yang, Amanda Somerville, Tiffany Kirkland, Ina Morgan, Cinzia Rizzo, Thomas Rettke, Oliver Hartmann, Matthias Kontny, Michael Voy.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
A couple of years after The Scarecrow shook things up, Tobi is back with not one, but two new albums of brand new matieral featuring the cream of metal's vocal talents. Don't expect Metal Opera all over again from these albums, stylistically they are not too dissimilar from the previous album, as they mix elements from power metal and stadium rock to good effect.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2010 | Comments (14)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 926 users
30.03.2010 - 13:53
annodomini

Well I never understood why Avantasia is called power metal. It is more HYeavy than power for sure. And now its even mote HArd Rock. And Symphonic? God no... I tried to listen ti these albums for one time, but it does not made anything for me. Maybe because I am a fan of more Epic metal musicals, cause Avantasia is too boring for me.
----
the riddle wants to be...
30.03.2010 - 18:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Something more epic than original Metal Opera? come on, show me...

but i have to admit, that i havent noticed any strong story on Lost In Space and Scarecrow and this will be probably the same...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.03.2010 - 21:20
GT
Coffee!!
The latest albums have been more hard rock/heavy than power, but the two Operas are clearly power to me
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
31.03.2010 - 09:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I have just heard the album now, and it is definitely more ''Scarecrow'' than ''Metal Opera". lol

In saying that, I enjoyed some stuff on ''The Scarecrow", and "The Wicked Symphony" improves on the formula introduced by that album. For one thing, none of the songs feature female vocals this time, which is a huge plus for me! Another plus, is this time, Tobi allows his guest singers to take the spotlight in most of the songs. Most of the songs are in the trad metal/hard rock style of Scarecrow, (although overall, the material is heavier) and the best of these songs are the epics ''Runaway Train", featuring awesome vocal spots by Jorn Lande, Bob Catley, and Michael Kiske. And the amazing huge sounding title track with Jorn Lande and Russell Allen facing off against each other! xD Giving Michael Kiske the one speedy power metal number "Wastelands" was inspired, just as it was on the previous album! The other 2 songs which break away from the main formula of the album, is the surging riffage of "Scales Of Justice" which provides the perfect vehicle for Ripper Owens' vicious, screaming vocals, though where's the solo?! "States Of Matter" is my absolute fave on the album, a crushing atmospheric metal song with Russell Allen on lead vocals. I really love hearing him sing, and he is awesome on this song! The solo absolutely rips as well, as does the main riff, so a great song all round!

Overall, I really like the album, though if you hated "The Scarecrow" you'll probably hate this album as well. lol Although I definitely prefer this album overall more than the previous one. If "Angel Of Babylon" is equally good, I'll be happy, and certainly will be getting both albums when they come out!
31.03.2010 - 11:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.03.2010 at 09:05

I have just heard the album now, and it is definitely more ''Scarecrow'' than ''Metal Opera". lol

well thats hardly a surprise...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.03.2010 - 11:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 31.03.2010 at 11:19
well thats hardly a surprise...

Yeah well, Ive now heard ''Angel Of Babylon", and it is definitely the lighter of the two albums. Apart from the great power metal epic opener "Stargazers", the rest of the album is the lighter rock and ballady type material that was on much of "The Scarecrow". And one of the songs is sung completely with female vocals. (blegh! ) "The Wicked Symphony" is definitely the better of the two albums for me. That album at least has some bite and edge to it.
31.03.2010 - 17:46
Rating: 8
AngelCryGr

I agree with Angelic Storm totally. Maybe the ballad with female vocals would be better with Sharon and Amanda.. Also good song from AoB is Death Is Just A Feeling. I prefer TWS which is more heavy and has the power song Wastelands that leaves you with mouth open.
----
Life's too short to cry
long enough to try
31.03.2010 - 18:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AngelCryGr on 31.03.2010 at 17:46

I agree with Angelic Storm totally. Maybe the ballad with female vocals would be better with Sharon and Amanda.. Also good song from AoB is Death Is Just A Feeling. I prefer TWS which is more heavy and has the power song Wastelands that leaves you with mouth open.

"Death Is Just A Feeling" starts out awesome, sounding all creepy, and Criss Oliva's vocals going along perfectly with that. I think if the song had continued like that, it would have been awesome. But when it becomes happier, it completely jars with the creepy parts of the song. It's still a decent song, but it could have been a lot better. My fave songs on AOB are the amazing opener "Stargazers", ''Your Love Is Evil" which is an awesome rocker, and the beautiful ballad "Blowing Out The Flame". But yep, TWS is definitely the superior of the 2 albums. Its heavier, more varied, and just overall, a much better album. Oh, and agreed about ''Wastelands"! Its always amazing to hear Michael Kiske doing what he does best, singing over speedy, melodious, power metal.
02.04.2010 - 23:30
ChrisWinther

These albums is way better than Scarecrow. There is no pop tracks. It is epic albums, not metal operas but good albums
03.04.2010 - 00:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ChrisWinther on 02.04.2010 at 23:30

These albums is way better than Scarecrow. There is no pop tracks. It is epic albums, not metal operas but good albums

Woot? There is some pop, especially on "Angel Of Babylon". The chorus of ''Alone I Remember" is pure pop! (I love the song though!) lol But I agree that both albums are better than The Scarecrow. I did love some tracks on "The Scarecrow", like "The Toy Master", the title track and "Shelter From the Rain", but overall it was a very average album. The two new albums are really great, and a testament to Tobi's amazing talent! Especially ''The Wicked Symphony" which is close to being a total masterpiece. ''Angel Of Babylon" is a bit weaker than it, but its still a mostly great album, even though its far less metallic. And ''Symphony Of Life'' is an awful song, and worse than anything on "The Scarecrow"! But really, Tobi has outdone himself, with this project. I cant wait to buy both albums on Monday! xD
03.04.2010 - 03:50
ChrisWinther

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.04.2010 at 00:16

Woot? There is some pop, especially on "Angel Of Babylon". The chorus of ''Alone I Remember" is pure pop! (I love the song though!) lol But I agree that both albums are better than The Scarecrow. I did love some tracks on "The Scarecrow", like "The Toy Master", the title track and "Shelter From the Rain", but overall it was a very average album. The two new albums are really great, and a testament to Tobi's amazing talent! Especially ''The Wicked Symphony" which is close to being a total masterpiece. ''Angel Of Babylon" is a bit weaker than it, but its still a mostly great album, even though its far less metallic. And ''Symphony Of Life'' is an awful song, and worse than anything on "The Scarecrow"! But really, Tobi has outdone himself, with this project. I cant wait to buy both albums on Monday! xD

Sorry. In my quote I only mean't The Wicked Symphony:) But yeah you are right about Angel Of Babylon
03.04.2010 - 15:47
Keitaro333

Alone I Remember - damn, those chorus harmonies are like out of a friggin ABBA song

Overall, not bad, better than Scarecrow, Jorn on alot of tracks helps Especially the 4 long tracks are pretty epic.
07.04.2010 - 04:47
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 07.04.2010 at 04:11

This Album is Glorious

Some people complain about Bad English's ability to write but, you know, his english is much better than yours. At least he knows more than four words.

But thanks for your constructive feedback.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.04.2010 - 23:09
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Well, theres always the metal opera, thank god
10.04.2010 - 02:30
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 09.04.2010 at 23:09

Well, theres always the metal opera, thank god

Ditto - Not sure what the fuss is about on this one tbh Was sort of excited even though Scarecrow was a super borefest. Both the Metal Opera's are still pretty much unmatched by the band eversince. This album is just a little...i dont know how to put it. Maybe if i give it another spin or two I will be able to get the word im looking for.

Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.04.2010 at 04:47

Written by Guest on 07.04.2010 at 04:11

This Album is Glorious

Some people complain about Bad English's ability to write but, you know, his english is much better than yours. At least he knows more than four words.

But thanks for your constructive feedback.

And you think your pointless comment is any better? At least his comment was on-topic. Pot calling the kettle black much?
10.04.2010 - 05:53
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 10.04.2010 at 02:30

And you think your pointless comment is any better? At least his comment was on-topic. Pot calling the kettle black much?

You don't even worth a proper answer.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.04.2010 - 15:03
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.04.2010 at 05:53

Written by Guest on 10.04.2010 at 02:30

You don't even worth a proper answer.

lol touché, unless it was a mistake. Then its much less impressive, way more hilarious though.

EDIT: I realize now why I dont like it...because Ive never been a fan of Meatloaf.
10.04.2010 - 17:28
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Am I the only one to think the Scarecrow is better?
----
loves 小巫
10.04.2010 - 18:14
Rating: 10
Anibx

Written by Ag Fox on 10.04.2010 at 17:28

Yes!
No, just kidding. Actually I like the three albums quite the same.
Not all songs, but a lot of tracks in The Scarecrow, Wicked and Babylon are pretty good. Maybe not Powermetal as a whole but I like it.

Don't kill me about my english. I'm from Venezuela, here we speak spanish, but I want to comment too.
10.04.2010 - 19:43
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Anibx on 10.04.2010 at 18:14

Written by Ag Fox on 10.04.2010 at 17:28

Yes!
No, just kidding. Actually I like the three albums quite the same.
Not all songs, but a lot of tracks in The Scarecrow, Wicked and Babylon are pretty good. Maybe not Powermetal as a whole but I like it.

Don't kill me about my english. I'm from Venezuela, here we speak spanish, but I want to comment too.
haha... of course I won't kill you and your English seems fine enough to me. I really do think The Scarecrow is better. Not that the WIcked Symphony or Angel Of Babylon don't have good songs, but there seems to be more filler material here and I tend to wander off in midway before suddenly snapping back when some awesome parts appear.
----
loves 小巫
11.04.2010 - 22:51
FeskarN

This album is really impressive. Sammet shows that he can make amazing songs once again. "Crestfallen", "The Wicked Symphony" and "Wastelands" are my favorites atm.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
14.04.2010 - 17:04
Anibx

Quote:
Quote:

Sums it up for me too. The more I listen to it the less I like it. Actually think after repeated listens I prefer Angel Of Babylon now. It has more variety to Wicked Symphony.

I have to agree with that. If I have t choose between one of the two albums I will say Angel. Just because Stargazer, Angel of Babylon and Death is just a feeling.
14.04.2010 - 19:04
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Damn, this is #1 for 2010?

makes me depressed
18.04.2010 - 15:24
Sati

Haha, in the next album, I suggest that Sammet should take Bon Jovi as a guest musician, too. :D
17.05.2010 - 22:33
chinche

...and this is the most Symphonic two album???.. baaaaa this is crap.....I think this is pop, too comercial.
22.06.2010 - 16:19
\m/ SEP \m/
Account deleted
After albums "After albums "The Metal Opera part 1-2" is here again excellent album, but until further notice listening.
26.06.2010 - 09:17
Rating: 9
In Bone Factory

I dont care if this would be called hard rock or symphonic power or whatever, its fucking amazing.and for me its their best since The Metal Operas. \m/
----
The End Is Nigh ...
16.08.2010 - 11:41
thehamburglar

your momis epic, dude its metal so so pop/hard rock belongs it sux really bad
28.02.2012 - 20:29
mandrake88
Account deleted
Freaks.... the best thing ever could happen to Avantasia is to move towards the direction as it is Avantasia today. Continuing the "power metal" or "metal opera" forever would be a huge downfall for the band. Today's Avantasia is kickin' ass, and those who have a great sense of music understand it, no matter if it's so called "power metal" or not.
04.06.2012 - 02:47
Wes

A perfect sequel to The Scarecrow for all who appreciate this type of music. <3

Hits total: 20514 | This month: 23