06. I Wish
07. Play With Fire
08. World Of Secrets
09. This Could Have Been
10. Tears Of Fate
11. On The Top Of The world
12. Heroes [CD Bonus Track]
13. Who Is The Fool? [Black version] [Digital Version Bonus Track]

Readers, you should have pity on us reviewers. Sure, we're all really cool guys, getting tons of music for free, pretty women are drawn to us in masses to revel in our glory. But it's hard work too. The real work isn't writing these here reviews, as we reviewers are super-awesome to begin with, having some writing skills is a given and some experience helps too. No, the real hard work is giving really lame albums like this one, that lasts over an hour, multiple spins to be able to write a fair review, all the while thinking I'd much rather listen to something - anything really - else.

So what's wrong with Otherwise you ask? Let's see, Silent Fall is a French band that started under the moniker of Winterland. By itself this is no sin, but they also seem to really, really worship Sonata Arcitica. This isn't that bad yet either, personally I love Ecliptica. Where it starts getting critical is the point where the band tries to adopt Sonata Arctica's brand of melodic power metal while lacking all power in the instrumental section and without the slightest trace of memorable songwriting.

In all fairness, these guys aren't horrible. The musicians seem to have some skills and plenty of interesting bits and gimmicks found their way into the songs as well. But really powerful leads and solos as well as melodies so catchy you'll be humming them for days to come are the essentials of this genre. Add that the vocals sound too flat and weak and there we have it. If you want to play a style of music that has been butchered this much already, you better be good enough to compete at the very top. Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica and friends already have so incredibly much sound-alikes that mediocre albums like this one simply can't hope to make the cut.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 4
Production: 6

Written by Bas | 30.03.2010

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 136 users
30.03.2010 - 17:31
BudDa

But Bas..of late u have been reviewing really bad albums..what the fuck is happening?! sometimes, I just look at the score and know "this one was done by Bas"lol
Anyhow,nice review. I like the (Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica) Silent Fall are trying to imitate. I'll look for "Otherwise" just to see how 'way off the mark' they are..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
30.03.2010 - 20:14
Rating: 5
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by BudDa on 30.03.2010 at 17:31

But Bas..of late u have been reviewing really bad albums..what the fuck is happening?! sometimes, I just look at the score and know "this one was done by Bas"lol
Anyhow,nice review. I like the (Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica) Silent Fall are trying to imitate. I'll look for "Otherwise" just to see how 'way off the mark' they are..

Haha yeah, so far most of my albums for reviewing in 2010 have been pretty bad, it is a little frustrating, but I'm sure it'll get better again
Probably I also got a lot stricter with my ratings then at the beginning of my reviewing career...

I like Sonata Arctiva (their earlier stuff in any case) and some of the Stratovarius material too, the problem is just that there are so incredibly many fourth-rate copycats.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
01.04.2010 - 05:40
Susan
Smeghead
Funny review, Bas, I love the first paragraph especially! Hehe yes, women DO flock to reviewers. In DROVES. They start tearing their clothes off just at the word "review" in fact

Your last few sentences were very poignant though.. and oh so true. This is a genre that doesn't grow or change much, and is predicated on the music being very fun and musicians being very skilled. Yeah, if you want to play power metal "you better be good enough to compete at the very top." Well said my friend!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.04.2010 - 16:06
Rating: 5
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Susan on 01.04.2010 at 05:40

Funny review, Bas, I love the first paragraph especially! Hehe yes, women DO flock to reviewers. In DROVES. They start tearing their clothes off just at the word "review" in fact

Your last few sentences were very poignant though.. and oh so true. This is a genre that doesn't grow or change much, and is predicated on the music being very fun and musicians being very skilled. Yeah, if you want to play power metal "you better be good enough to compete at the very top." Well said my friend!

Thanks Susan, it's always especially nice when negative reviews are appreciated, that way I know it wasn't a complete waste of time
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 5580 | This month: 5