Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest

Original post

Posted by Demonizer, 17.05.2006 - 17:11
ha! now I've got the opportunity to open a thread for my fav band, I'll certainly take it!!

So who else is curious about the new album?? apparantly the band is hoping to start their next tour in early 2007
04.01.2011 - 21:04
Written by Dangerboner on 16.11.2009 at 06:48

Written by Warman on 12.11.2009 at 12:39

Written by Dangerboner on 10.11.2009 at 06:27

One album that I really don't get the hate over is Point of Entry. Sure, it's definitely not in their top 5, but it blows away the preceeding British Steel. It has Desert Plains, which is probably in my top 5 favorite JP songs ever. Maybe it's just good driving music, which is most likely the only times I've played it, but I think it's way better than Jugulator, Demolition, British Steel, and Nostradamus. Damn I sure could explain myself better if I brought my good CD case to work with me tonight :/

I hate "Point of Entry" but I do love "Desert Plains", a fantastic song.

I need to listen to that album again. See, certain albums piss me off when I listen with headphones, but if I listen to the same album while driving, sometimes I can like that same album. It's weird, but I think that's probably my view for Point of Entry.

Hell yeah, I hated Jugulator and Demolition, I think its just cause they were under james the ripper. Point of entry is definately driving music though, i cant stand listening to that album anywhere else, but in the car its the shit.
27.01.2011 - 16:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=AD52821D-58A3-4232-9642-41DABA7BB8CD

PLEASE LET IT NOT SUCK LIKE MAIDEN'S LAST ALBUM. it's also the last tour so i hope they're gonna put their best work into this.

on the bright side, at least they seem to be in the area in July and i foresee a concert in Bucharest
27.01.2011 - 17:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.01.2011 at 16:43

http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=AD52821D-58A3-4232-9642-41DABA7BB8CD

PLEASE LET IT NOT SUCK LIKE MAIDEN'S LAST ALBUM. it's also the last tour so i hope they're gonna put their best work into this.

on the bright side, at least they seem to be in the area in July and i foresee a concert in Bucharest

well Nostradamus sucked giats nuts, so I am fearing the worst.
As for their tour. Hell Rob can't sing live to save his life any more. Doesn't hit the high and low notes and he reads to vocals of a piece of paper on the monitor.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2011 - 17:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2011 at 17:22

As for their tour. Hell Rob can't sing live to save his life any more. Doesn't hit the high and low notes and he reads to vocals of a piece of paper on the monitor.

yeah i noticed the monitor thing (he does only use it for newer songs or stuff they don't usually play), and i would say his vocals still do it for me. i don't really know why there is such an enormous difference in his stage presence and vocals between the time he formed Halford and the reunion with Priest. i mean, compare Live at Rock In Rio 2001 with Rising in the East.. it's almost like 2 different persons, but they're just 4 years apart.
28.01.2011 - 03:56
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2011 at 17:22

Written by Valentin B on 27.01.2011 at 16:43

Matter of age, most likely. The guy is simply too old.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.02.2011 - 07:21
Thunderhead
If the next Priest album sounds like nostradamus, or something close to it, i'm satisfied. I loved Nostradamus, way beyond than Angel of Retribution (And i liked it a lot!). For me, Nostradamus is easily one of the best JP albuns. Only After Defenders, Painkiller and Sad Wings.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
17.02.2011 - 14:12
RavenKing
Written by Thunderhead on 17.02.2011 at 07:21

If the next Priest album sounds like nostradamus, or something close to it, i'm satisfied. I loved Nostradamus, way beyond than Angel of Retribution (And i liked it a lot!). For me, Nostradamus is easily one of the best JP albuns. Only After Defenders, Painkiller and Sad Wings.

I don't think you will find lots of people to agree with you on this matter.
That's precisely what most people really don't want: a "Nostradamus" take two.
----
17.02.2011 - 16:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 17.02.2011 at 14:12

When that first came out I thought it was ridiculously boring, so I gave it some time, with the mindset that perhaps it was one of those albums that was just boring on the surface, but had a lot of details that made it better with more listens....

Nope. Still boring.
I know there was one track on there I liked, possibly the title track. Can't quite recall it now.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.02.2011 - 16:31
Thunderhead
Written by RavenKing on 17.02.2011 at 14:12

Well, i don't want anybody to agree with me, you see?
I respect who don't like it, but i think those people should at least give a try or two, listening to it very carrefuly.
Because this is really a masterpiece, a great concept album. It's not pure heavy metal, it's beyond.
Judas Priest has great albuns of heavy metal, but not a albun like this one.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
17.02.2011 - 20:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Thunderhead: Ive given "Nostradamus" a lot more than 2 plays, being the massive Priest fan I am. lol My problem with it, is it's too long for it's own good. And while I do love some songs on it, the quite significant amount of filler dilutes the album's strong points. I find the first half of the album to be by far the stronger portion, as I love most of the songs in this section. (Though "War" is painfully boring to me) The 2nd half has some high points like the title track and "Visions", but overall, I find much of it to be dull and I can't engage with it as hard as I try. I also feel "Hope" should have been fleshed out into a full song. I think it's too good to have been presented as pretty much an interlude. I feel if the album had been condensed down to a single disc with all the great songs, Id be hailing it.. As it is, I find it frustrating, as it had massive potential to be great. But ends up being disappointing, and collapsing under the own weight of it's ambition.

Im definitely happy that Priest are releasing at least one more album before calling it quits. As I feel "Nostradamus" would be an anti-climax to such an amazing career in metal. Oh, and I respect your very high opinion of the album, although I don't agree. xD
17.02.2011 - 23:09
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.02.2011 at 20:44

@Thunderhead: Ive given "Nostradamus" a lot more than 2 plays, being the massive Priest fan I am. lol My problem with it, is it's too long for it's own good. And while I do love some songs on it, the quite significant amount of filler dilutes the album's strong points. I find the first half of the album to be by far the stronger portion, as I love most of the songs in this section. (Though "War" is painfully boring to me) The 2nd half has some high points like the title track and "Visions", but overall, I find much of it to be dull and I can't engage with it as hard as I try. I also feel "Hope" should have been fleshed out into a full song. I think it's too good to have been presented as pretty much an interlude. I feel if the album had been condensed down to a single disc with all the great songs, Id be hailing it.. As it is, I find it frustrating, as it had massive potential to be great. But ends up being disappointing, and collapsing under the own weight of it's ambition.

Im definitely happy that Priest are releasing at least one more album before calling it quits. As I feel "Nostradamus" would be an anti-climax to such an amazing career in metal. Oh, and I respect your very high opinion of the album, although I don't agree. xD

Nostradamus would have been okay if half the songs were thrown in the trash. That's how I see it basically. There are still some major flaws with it though (stuff like the horrid production and Halfords really weak vocals on that one, stufff that goes through all the songs), and it would be far from great even then...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.02.2011 - 00:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think Nostradamus would have benefited if there were a lot more full-speed metal anthems on it like the godly title track, and it seems many people agree with me.

it looks like Priest want to play at least one song from each album on the upcoming tour. aside from the regulars(hellbent for leather, painkiller, electric eye etc.) my list would be like this:

-Rocka Rolla: Never Satisfied
-Sad Wings: Dreamer Deceiver
-Sin After Sin: Dissident Aggressor
-Stained Class: Stained Class
-Killing Machine: Deliverin' the Goods
-British Steel: Rapid Fire
-Point of Entry: Desert Plains
-Screaming For Vengeance: Riding on the Wind
-Defenders of the Faith: The Sentinel or maybe Some Heads Are Gonna Roll
-Turbo: Locked In
-Ram it Down: Blood Red Skies
-Painkiller: Between the Hammer and the Anvil
-Jugulator(pleeaaze): Burn In Hell
-Demolition: Feed on Me (very underrated track if you ask me)
-Angel of Retribution: Revolution
-Nostradamus: Nostradamus

holy shit that took a while to write.
18.02.2011 - 00:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 18.02.2011 at 00:01

I think Nostradamus would have benefited if there were a lot more full-speed metal anthems on it like the godly title track, and it seems many people agree with me.

[url=http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=CD3EB94D-697A-402D-83E6-DBBFE62D1512]it looks like Priest want to play at least one song from each album on the upcoming tour.[url] aside from the regulars(hellbent for leather, painkiller, electric eye etc.) my list would be like this:

I do totally agree with that! Although I do like a fair few songs on it, the fact that almost the whole album is slow/mid-paced (aside from the title track, and the energetic "Persecution") does have an effect of making the album drag. Add on to this that it's a long album with a lot of songs, and it is an issue.

Really?? Okay then, here's my list! xD

Rocka Rolla: Rocka Rolla
Sad Wings: either Tyrant, or Dreamer Deciever (can't choose!)
Sin After Sin: Starbreaker
Stained Class: Exciter
Killing Machine: Before The Dawn
British Steel: Steeler or Grinder
Point Of Entry: Desert Plains
Screaming For Vengeance: Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders Of The Faith: Jawbreaker
Turbo: Hot For Love
Ram It Down: Love You To Death
Painkiller: All Guns Blazing
Jugulator: Bullet Train
Demolition: Machine Man
Angel Of Retribution: Demonizer
Nostradamus: Nostradamus or Pestilence And Plague

This was tough, I could have easily chosen 2 or 3 for each album! lol
18.02.2011 - 00:37
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.02.2011 at 00:29

the fact that almost the whole album is slow/mid-paced (aside from the title track, and the energetic "Persecution") does have an effect of making the album drag. Add on to this that it's a long album with a lot of songs, and it is an issue.

I mentioned it already and will mention it again: a metal album full of mid-tempo songs is boring, even when the songs, taken individually, are not bad. The overall effect it creates is boredom and it fails to keep your attention.
----
18.02.2011 - 00:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 18.02.2011 at 00:37
I mentioned it already and will mention it again: a metal album full of mid-tempo songs is boring, even when the songs, taken individually, are not bad. The overall effect it creates is boredom and it fails to keep your attention.

Yep, that's pretty much the issue with "Nostradamus" (well that, and the fact there's quite a bit of filler as well lol). Some of the mid tempo songs taken on their own, are very good. But the album definitely suffers through it's pacing, or lack of it. For the length of the album, there should have been at least 3 more fast songs. As it is, it's incredibly unbalanced.
18.02.2011 - 00:52
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.02.2011 at 00:44

Written by RavenKing on 18.02.2011 at 00:37

Yep, that's pretty much the issue with "Nostradamus" (well that, and the fact there's quite a bit of filler as well lol). Some of the mid tempo songs taken on their own, are very good. But album definitely suffers through it's pacing, or lack of it. For the length of the album, there should have been at least 3 more fast songs. As it is, it's incredibly unbalanced.

I think the best albums have lots of variation in tempo between songs and into the songs themselves.
Still, an album made only of fast songs is usually not boring (though it can be).
However, if it's full of mid-tempo and slow songs, it's almost inevitably boring.
----
18.02.2011 - 01:55
Thunderhead
Well, i respect your opinions guys, but i will not change mine too! ^^
Well, i don't think the preludes, interludes, or whatever, make it boring to me, but just that they are to make a transition. This is kind important in a album who has a concept, a history. About the mid-tempo songs, i don't think it's boring, but that was the way they felt about doing music in that time.
Well, some might like, some might not... I loved it!

So there's a list going on! Kkkk
I will do mine too:

Rocka Rolla: Rocka Rolla or Run off the mill
Sad Wings: Victim of changes or Dreamer/Deciever
Sin After Sin: Sinner or Diamonds and rust
Stained Class: Beyond the realms of death or Heroes End
Killing Machine: Hell bent for Leather or Delivering the goods
British Steel: Grinder or the rage
Point Of Entry: Desert Plains
Screaming For Vengeance: Screaming For Vengeance or BLOODSTONEEE!
Defenders Of The Faith: The Sentinel or Rock Hard, Ride Free
Turbo: Out in the Cold or Turbo Lover
Ram It Down: Ram it down
Painkiller: Beetween the hammer and the envil or One Shot at glory
Jugulator: Cathedral Spires or Burn in Hell
Demolition: Hell is Home
Angel Of Retribution: Lochness, Demonizer or Angel
Nostradamus: Exiled
----
18.02.2011 - 08:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Heroes End", "Out In The Cold", "Bloodstone", and "One Shot At Glory" would also be amazing to hear live! xD I deliberately omitted songs like "Beyond The Realms Of Death" and "Victim Of Changes" from my list, because as awesome as those songs are, they're regularly played live, and I've also seen them live before. I purposely only chose songs that they've either never, or hardly ever played live. And also, that I've never seen live. lol Well, actually I have seen "Desert Plains" live, but that was with Ripper Owens, so that's why I'm including it.
18.02.2011 - 13:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm pissed. Last time they played here my best friend got tickets from his dad, he took his girlfriend with him. Now they're going on a farewell tour and I won't ever be able to see them live. Don't have the money to go to Sweden Rock.
----
18.02.2011 - 14:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hey, Warman, you havent been there for a while
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2011 - 15:38
Rebel Monster
Written by Warman on 18.02.2011 at 13:53

I'm pissed. Last time they played here my best friend got tickets from his dad, he took his girlfriend with him. Now they're going on a farewell tour and I won't ever be able to see them live. Don't have the money to go to Sweden Rock.

They are also playing in Copenhagen.. At Copenhell

The tricket price is 595.00 DKK
----
Bad English :p
18.02.2011 - 17:03
Thunderhead
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.02.2011 at 08:55

"Heroes End", "Out In The Cold", "Bloodstone", and "One Shot At Glory" would also be amazing to hear live! xD I deliberately omitted songs like "Beyond The Realms Of Death" and "Victim Of Changes" from my list, because as awesome as those songs are, they're regularly played live, and I've also seen them live before. I purposely only chose songs that they've either never, or hardly ever played live. And also, that I've never seen live. lol Well, actually I have seen "Desert Plains" live, but that was with Ripper Owens, so that's why I'm including it.

Well, i couldn't stop myself from putting those songs, like Victims, or Realms... kkkk
They're major kicking ass epic songs.

I like Tim Ripper, but i mighty say, he is better wich his solo bands, Wintersbane and that one he released a album sometime ago.
He really sucked in his last album with Iced Earth although, i think it's framming armagedon.
Didn't like it at all. kkkkkk

(I only like him in Judas in studio, alive he is no such thing, not in the vocals, but he got no presence)
----
18.02.2011 - 17:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 18.02.2011 at 13:53

you can always go to a foreign country / another city to see them like i did for almost half of the gigs i've seen so far. it may be 5 hours by train to Oslo but with SJ i see you can get it for only 190 SEK both ways if you book it 3 months in advance, you then just have to take some cheap food, fill a backpack with sandwiches and cheap booze from Systembolaget, walk from the train station directly to the concert venue, eat and drink your stuff at the gate right before you enter (so-called "tailgating") and couchsurf for the night. i know that's what i would do in your case.

tbh far too few people in western europe deliberately go to other cities just to see band concerts. the guys whom i met in Wacken flew half the globe to get there from Mexico, Australia, or Canada. sometimes having the privilege of seeing a band you like demands sacrifices in comfort.
20.04.2011 - 19:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
21.04.2011 - 02:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
The upcoming Priest album is sure to be their last. They're old, lost a 45 year member of the band, are going on their final world tour... Shades of death are all I see.
03.05.2011 - 22:34
metaloprama
The picture of She,doing the robot at ' metal gods' will haunting me forever.just joking....love em.
04.05.2011 - 02:51
Yasmine
Painkiller was one of my all time faves. <3
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.05.2011 - 19:21
VPeter
At least they know when to quit. Unlike their fellow countrymen Iron Maiden...
12.05.2011 - 21:37
RavenKing
Written by VPeter on 07.05.2011 at 19:21

At least they know when to quit. Unlike their fellow countrymen Iron Maiden...

I'd gladly give a few bucks to see Maiden quit. I'm so sick of hearing about them all the time.
----
12.05.2011 - 23:29
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
I'm so sick of hearing certain people repeat themselves over, over, and over about how tired they are about Iron Maiden still being popular and how lackluster their later releases are in multiple threads (some which have nothing to do with Maiden). Take the needle of the negativity record; it's broken, and I do not think anyone wants to listen to it anymore.