Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest

Original post

Posted by Demonizer, 17.05.2006 - 17:11
ha! now I've got the opportunity to open a thread for my fav band, I'll certainly take it!!

So who else is curious about the new album?? apparantly the band is hoping to start their next tour in early 2007
06.07.2008 - 14:39
Anders Hansson
Account deleted
have some 1 hear ther new album ?
If , is it any good
07.07.2008 - 01:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Try reading the thread.
07.07.2008 - 02:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 07.07.2008 at 01:13

Try reading the thread.

Naaah, that never works.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.07.2008 - 09:32
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 07.07.2008 at 01:13

Try reading the thread.

I was going to post something like that when I first read it, but I try to ignore people who post things like that when there is several pages worth of discussion on the subject matter... L-A-Z-Y!
07.07.2008 - 12:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.06.2008 at 01:00

Written by VPeter on 05.06.2008 at 00:44

Decided to give this band a chance again, I disliked them a lot in the past but recently I lisitend to their debut and kinda liked it.
so I downloaded Painkiller since everybody seems to praise that album and I must say.... damn! what a HORRIBLE album!
sorry to you priest fans, but Rob Halford's annyoing screams ruin it for me and the album is just plain boring.
then again most heavy metal is not my bag.

Try "Defenders Of The Faith".
"Painkiller" is a little full-on.

lol ironically it can work the other way around, i LOVED Painkiller when i first heard it, i even thought that someone else was singing the last verse, imagine my disapointment when i heard stuff from their 70's days! i expected everything to sound over the top and SCREAMING, but all i got was Dreamer Deceiver or Living after Midnight, songs which i've grown to love but my initial reaction was one of disapointment, all chenged when i listened to Diamonds and Rust and Electric Eye, the first 2 songs other than Painkiller, Breaking the Law and Hot Rockin' that i enjoyed by them.
07.07.2008 - 16:26
VPeter
Written by Valentin B on 07.07.2008 at 12:51

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.06.2008 at 01:00

Written by VPeter on 05.06.2008 at 00:44

Decided to give this band a chance again, I disliked them a lot in the past but recently I lisitend to their debut and kinda liked it.
so I downloaded Painkiller since everybody seems to praise that album and I must say.... damn! what a HORRIBLE album!
sorry to you priest fans, but Rob Halford's annyoing screams ruin it for me and the album is just plain boring.
then again most heavy metal is not my bag.

Try "Defenders Of The Faith".
"Painkiller" is a little full-on.

lol ironically it can work the other way around, i LOVED Painkiller when i first heard it, i even thought that someone else was singing the last verse, imagine my disapointment when i heard stuff from their 70's days! i expected everything to sound over the top and SCREAMING, but all i got was Dreamer Deceiver or Living after Midnight, songs which i've grown to love but my initial reaction was one of disapointment, all chenged when i listened to Diamonds and Rust and Electric Eye, the first 2 songs other than Painkiller, Breaking the Law and Hot Rockin' that i enjoyed by them.

well I actually hate those screams a lot lol it sounds a lot like dani filth's screams and I found Painkiller overal a terrible album with just the same tracks over and over again it reminds me a lot of Marduk's Panzer Division Marduk, wich is just an wall of noise and every track is just the same just the same ferocity over and over again. I enjoyed Rocka Rolla instantly because I enjoy 70ties rock a lot to.
08.07.2008 - 11:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol there's a priest tribute band (judas best) playing like 300 km away from where i'm in, on the same day Priest themselves are comin'.. how ironic
09.07.2008 - 13:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
is anybody else of the opinion that, with the release of Nostradamus, Halford should consider retirement? and either Ralf Scheepers or Ripper Owens should be his replacement. because i dont think Halford could pull off the single "Nostradamus" live to save his life.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.07.2008 - 13:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LeChron James on 09.07.2008 at 13:00

is anybody else of the opinion that, with the release of Nostradamus, Halford should consider retirement? and either Ralf Scheepers or Ripper Owens should be his replacement. because i dont think Halford could pull off the single "Nostradamus" live to save his life.

imo he's not ready yet to retire as far as studio recordings go, but yeah i agree, Ripper should return to Priest A.S.A.P.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a-oDgUfyWYw actually it's unbelievable, but according to this vid Halford completely NAILS Devil's Child, one of the hardest songs by them vocally, except maybe for Riding On The Wind and Painkiller(which are only harder because they're entirely in falsetto). i too thought he couldn't do it anymore, but there he is man and does he OWN. Painkiller is still not as good as on the album, but hell, he still can do it. if i remember correctly, i heard somewhere he said he'll retire when he won't be able to do it anymore live.

so your assumption that he can't do Nostradamus live is clearly wrong, since there's only one real hard scream in there at about 1:00.
09.07.2008 - 23:08
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2008 at 13:03

Written by LeChron James on 09.07.2008 at 13:00

imo he's not ready yet to retire as far as studio recordings go, but yeah i agree, Ripper should return to Priest A.S.A.P.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a-oDgUfyWYw actually it's unbelievable, but according to this vid Halford completely NAILS Devil's Child, one of the hardest songs by them vocally, except maybe for Riding On The Wind and Painkiller(which are only harder because they're entirely in falsetto). i too thought he couldn't do it anymore, but there he is man and does he OWN. Painkiller is still not as good as on the album, but hell, he still can do it. if i remember correctly, i heard somewhere he said he'll retire when he won't be able to do it anymore live.

so your assumption that he can't do Nostradamus live is clearly wrong, since there's only one real hard scream in there at about 1:00.

yeah devils child is pretty nuts cause it is sung in falsetto. im not saying his voice is completely shot, its just that, in my opinion, over the course of the last 2 albums, his voice has gotten more and more tenuous and has lost some of his power. its definitely age related and i dont know if he smokes or not but that could do it too. and in all im all for Ripper's return, regardless of what people might say about him.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.07.2008 - 23:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LeChron James on 09.07.2008 at 23:08

yeah devils child is pretty nuts cause it is sung in falsetto. im not saying his voice is completely shot, its just that, in my opinion, over the course of the last 2 albums, his voice has gotten more and more tenuous and has lost some of his power. its definitely age related and i dont know if he smokes or not but that could do it too. and in all im all for Ripper's return, regardless of what people might say about him.

well, he did lose a part of his voice, in such a short time, only about 3-4 years, it's clear when you compare for example his concerts with his band(this one is from Rock In Rio 2001)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2oN3gOjRcIQ&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ix0HVJ0GbDY-a nice live version of Painkiller, though Halford fucks up the last verse
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UNgqnbm6TbM&feature=related-if he does this in the show here i'm gonna faint lol.

it seems he was just fresh from that 9 year break, or something, but to tell the truth his band was MUCH more kickass live than nowadays's Priest, though there's something special about having the(mostly) original band on stage.
and it's good that they decided to stop playing the songs more slowly like on Rising in the East.. WtF?
09.07.2008 - 23:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Quote:
well, he did lose a part of his voice, in such a short time, only about 3-4 years, it's clear when you compare for example his concerts with his band(this one is from Rock In Rio 2001)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ix0HVJ0GbDY-a nice live version of Painkiller, though Halford fucks up the last verse
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UNgqnbm6TbM&feature=related-if he does this in the show here i'm gonna faint lol.

it seems he was just fresh from that 9 year break, or something, but to tell the truth his band was MUCH more kickass live than nowadays's Priest, though there's something special about having the(mostly) original band on stage.
and it's good that they decided to stop playing the songs more slowly like on Rising in the East.. WtF?

yeah Halford kicked MAJOR ass during their time as a band, especially when compared to priest nowadays. i wasnt into his Two project as much though, but that was with Trent Reznor and i didnt pay any attention. and yeah its a good thing they sped things up a bit or else i woulda had an aneurysm.

and for the record, that last video was ATROCIOUS even though that crowd is MASSIVE. he HELLUV faked that song.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

10.07.2008 - 00:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Quote:
Written by LeChron James on 09.07.2008 at 23:44

yeah Halford kicked MAJOR ass during their time as a band, especially when compared to priest nowadays. i wasnt into his Two project as much though, but that was with Trent Reznor and i didnt pay any attention. and yeah its a good thing they sped things up a bit or else i woulda had an aneurysm.

and for the record, that last video was ATROCIOUS even though that crowd is MASSIVE. he HELLUV faked that song.

well imo it's an awesome version, especially with the band going, like Metal Mike himself puts it, FUCKIN' CRAZY!
12.07.2008 - 00:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 21.06.2008 at 05:58

Their glory days are long over my friend, that and they are going to need walkers soon.

you are absolutely WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG x 100000012381375918341982 to the 20th degree.

i saw them live just one hour ago and they were amazing. Halford hit ALL the notes, he didn't fuck up one single song and Glenn was back in business(a.k.a. Ruling). KK was terrifyingly good, and Scott the same(the new Painkiller version is AWESOME squared)

My only 2 complaints are Sinner and Death from the new album, sure it might be something Priest never did before, but please, we want the Sentinel and Hot Rockin' and other awesome shit. as for Sinner i never really was too keen on the track, though live it is passable imo. Other than that every song that was added on the tour sounded completely INSANE live, especially Eat Me Alive and Hell Patrol.

Halford was walking around the stage like a fucking Drill Sergeant, and we hailed him like crazy every time he came to our part of the stage. OWNAGE.
12.07.2008 - 04:43
Lord TJ
Written by Valentin B on 12.07.2008 at 00:28

Their glory days are long over my friend, that and they are going to need walkers soon.

you are absolutely WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG x 100000012381375918341982 to the 20th degree.

One questions: When were they more popular? Now or the older days?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
12.07.2008 - 10:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 12.07.2008 at 04:43

they were more popular in the older days, but how does this change the awesomeness of their shows? they only played 2 songs + the intro from Nostradamus, the rest being old awesome shit. and i repeat Halford hit every note. every note. every. one.
12.07.2008 - 14:43
Lord TJ
Written by Valentin B on 12.07.2008 at 10:19

they were more popular in the older days, but how does this change the awesomeness of their shows? they only played 2 songs + the intro from Nostradamus, the rest being old awesome shit. and i repeat Halford hit every note. every note. every. one.

Im not talking about their awesomeness.

Like you said, they were more popular in the older days, They had their days of impacting the metal world, they are already down in stone for the history of metal. They are still popular today, yes, but back then was when the most came to them. Hence their glory days.

They are one of my favorite bands, don't get me wrong.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
12.07.2008 - 18:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 12.07.2008 at 14:43

Im not talking about their awesomeness.

Like you said, they were more popular in the older days, They had their days of impacting the metal world, they are already down in stone for the history of metal. They are still popular today, yes, but back then was when the most came to them. Hence their glory days.

They are one of my favorite bands, don't get me wrong.

sure, but... i don't know, your tone.. "they're going to need walkers soon".. it sounded to me like you assumed they don't have any more energy left and they should retire NOW or something.
12.07.2008 - 21:23
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
If Rob Halford graced me with 10 seconds of his time to destroy both of my eardrums with his sick-ass vocals... I would be the happiest person in the world.
12.07.2008 - 22:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.07.2008 at 21:23

If Rob Halford graced me with 10 seconds of his time to destroy both of my eardrums with his sick-ass vocals... I would be the happiest person in the world.

you should definitely go to a Metal Masters show, if you have the chance. might be the last time the guys from Sabbath would be touring. and of course Motorhead and Priest would be great as usual.
21.07.2008 - 23:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i've only noticed this now, but there's some BADASS double bass drums on Dissident Aggressor what a great track.
23.07.2008 - 21:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Actually if you think about it, theyre probably more popular now.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.07.2008 - 15:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 23.07.2008 at 21:53

Nope they're not... at the time of Screaming For Vengeance they sold out stadiums easily whereas nowadays they pull 10,000 at most. And here in The Netherlands they didn't even sell out a 2300 capacity club a couple of weeks ago.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2008 - 17:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.07.2008 at 15:56

Nope they're not... at the time of Screaming For Vengeance they sold out stadiums easily whereas nowadays they pull 10,000 at most. And here in The Netherlands they didn't even sell out a 2300 capacity club a couple of weeks ago.

well, it was probably because metal was so popular at the time, i mean in 1983 everyone knew about maiden, ac/dc etc.
24.07.2008 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2008 at 17:35

well, it was probably because metal was so popular at the time, i mean in 1983 everyone knew about maiden, ac/dc etc.

Metal is more popular nowadays then back then. Just look at the sheer amount of bands around nowadays and also there are way more metalfans around nowadays then back in the early 80s. And back then non metallers didn't know a thing about bands such as Priest, Maiden, AC/Dc whereas nowadays those names do ring a bell to those people.

The reason why Priest back then was more popular than nowadays is because their music was just soooooooooooooo much better than what they record nowadays. Back then they were still relevant and refreshing now they are just one of the gazzilion players that have gone stale.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2008 - 17:51
VPeter
A curse wich sadly seems to happen with most 80 bands.
24.07.2008 - 23:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Written by Doc G. on 23.07.2008 at 21:53

Wow. Well they were still selling out amphitheaters and stadiums over here (well our NHL arena). In 2 days there headlining Monsters Of Rock in my city (ok, technically Ozzy is but I havn't met a single person going for Ozzy. And its his festival so it doesn't count, he got the headlining slot at default). And its a full football stadium, and from what Ive seen its been pretty well sold. I just figured theyd be more popular now because of how much metal is growing now, and Bruce Dickinson said that Iron Maiden is probably more popular now than ever. Guess I was wrong.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.07.2008 - 00:17
Gordon Freeman
Written by Doc G. on 24.07.2008 at 23:46

As you are no doubt aware of (you've been in the metal game longer than I) the ability to sell out a stadium isn't the only indicator of a bands popularity.

How are album sales (for both new and old Priest albums) today compared to what they were in the 80's?
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
25.07.2008 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 24.07.2008 at 17:51

Iron Maiden one sold 81 000 tickets in Ulevi(A.K.A Scandinavium) stadion in Geteborg 4 years ago
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.07.2008 - 00:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 25.07.2008 at 00:31

Written by VPeter on 24.07.2008 at 17:51

Iron Maiden one sold 81 000 tickets in Ulevi(A.K.A Scandinavium) stadion in Geteborg 4 years ago

fuck! 81000 tickets... but nothing compares to the Rock in Rio 2001 show when they played to 1.000.000 people or so(but probably 'only' 100.000 for the night when maiden and halford played), or the Monsters of Rock show in moscow in 1991, also about 1.000.000 people(but let's face it: Ac/Dc and Metallica live in the same show? "@russia omgwtfhax" )