Metal Storm logo
WASP-like bands

05.04.2010 - 11:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Basically i'm looking for bands that play the same kind of epic and insanely catchy 80s heavy metal as Wasp. i know Running Wild sounds similar, but i want more any recommendations?

oh yeah i forgot to add please add relatively unknown bands, i'm already big on Accept, Overkill, Axxis, Saxon, Lordi and Queensryche..
05.04.2010 - 12:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There isn any body out there who sounds like WASP , maybe sweeds Broken Dagger , but not half, so WASP is uniuqe band out there same like GnR was in glam rock to
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.04.2010 - 21:07
Charly546

Well, I have to admit, when giving you these rec's I kinda went for what are bands that play kinda epic and catchy 80's metal, instead of stuff-that-sounds-like-WASP. I'm pretty sure quite a few of these are _kinda_ like WASP - as in they take similar approaches to writing music, but I don't think any of these will make you think - "hey that's WASP".Anyway, I hope you'll find something to like and there aren't that many bands you already know of.

Anvil - occasionally anthemic (especially at the start of the albums), generally mid-paced and kinda silly and sometimes plain faceripping heavy and fast. They'll sure get your feet tapping.

Avenger - NWOBHM, I hope you don't mind, but I think these have a bit more faster than most NWOBHM and a bit more interesting as well.

Banshee - Nice blend of 80's metal and USPM (again, I hope you don't mind). Catchy, well written and ballsy.

Black Knight - Uuugh, very powerful and kinda darker 80's metal with a woman doing vocals (except for 1 song). Epic inside. Just check them out. Awesome stuff, really.

Martin (or Ray Gillian) era Black Sabbath - If you haven't given proper attention to that Black Sabbath era yet, then so so now. Power metallic Black Sabbath with riffs as strong as ever and very good vocals? Yes, please.

Blind Fury - A side project of Satan (UK), this time more a bit more polished and more melodic. Plus the awesome guitarwork of Ramsey and Tippins.

Brocas Helm - Medieval sounding, definitely epic and a bit goofy here and there. Oh, and catchy too - this will stick to your head and won't come out.

Dark Wizard - A bit more odd one, but in a good way. They have quite distinct sound, mostly because of their err... unique vocalist. When they get epic, the ground will shake.

High Power - Again, one off the beaten track. Epic, some doomish qualities, catchy and don't let the fact that they sing in French scare you - you'll be singing along in no time.

Jag Panzer - "Tryants" EP and debut album only - really powerful and epic blend of USPM and heavy metal. Feel the nails in my baseball bat!

Krokus - start at "Metal Rendez-Vous" and especially "Headhunter". So catch its not even funny, pretty well written and they always go platinum in Switzerland.

Manilla Road - Now this one is a bit tricky, so invest some time getting into them. But when you do - oh my, this is really well-written, epic as Jesus and Satan battling to the death in a topless mud fight. Just listen to it and at one point you'll go "woah".

Mirage (Dnk) - Catchy, goofy, occasionally darker, heavier, occasionally aor-is and glammish. A good listen.

Raven - _Really_ energetic NWOBHM. Fast, inspired, catchy. Go for the first three albums.

Shok Paris - There is some USPM here, but it's generally just heavy metal. The thing that makes 80's the best era for metal. (Besides 70's, but that's another story)

Stormwitch - Nice, NWOBHM-ish metal with excellent songwriting skill. Entertaining. Start at the first album and move until things get unbearably cheesy. Until then, it has the spark. That thing that makes everything good.

Sword (can) - Ballsy heavy metal. Catchy and powerful. Outstanding stuff really.

Twisted Sister - This one is pretty much glammish heavy metal. Kinda like WASP. Start with the first album.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you'll find something to listen to here - all those bands are good in my eyes. These are bands that I remembered off my head, at least. If I forgot something really essential or I'll discover something that gets the "Zomg!Awesome" reaction then I'll edit my post and add it.
05.04.2010 - 21:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Charly546 on 05.04.2010 at 21:07

Well, that's it for now. I hope you'll find something to listen to here - all those bands are good in my eyes. These are bands that I remembered off my head, at least. If I forgot something really essential or I'll discover something that gets the "Zomg!Awesome" reaction then I'll edit my post and add it.

wow, that's a lot of bands. thanks for the recs, i figured i would have to look into nwobhm bands(a genre i'm sick of to be honest), so i'll just check out Anvil and the rest.
06.04.2010 - 19:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Lizzy Borden is the closest in the same style...They don't sound all that similar though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.04.2010 - 20:18
DayFly

No offense, but if it's bands similar to W.A.S.P. none of those mentioned here really fit the bill (including those in the OP). Try Randy Piper's Animal (you do know who Randy Piper is I hope). Vocalist Rick Lewis is the closest you get to Lawless jagged vocals and Piper's playing is straight out of the 80s. Production is contemporary, though.

Another band somewhat similar is Zed Yago who actually toured with W.A.S.P. in the late 80s. The instrumental section sounds like Accept or ACDC played on 80 BPM (i.e. anthemic, pounding 80s metal and nothing really fast, a trait shared with W.A.S.P. for the most part) and I personally always pictured front-woman Jutta Weinhold as the perfect marriage between a soul singer and a chainsaw vocalist.
06.04.2010 - 20:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by DayFly on 06.04.2010 at 20:18

anthemic, pounding 80s metal and nothing really fast, a trait shared with W.A.S.P. for the most part

surely you mean AC/DC, not Wasp... well thanks for the recs, i'll be sure to check them out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaWmMYsQWA - these guys also sound pretty similar, though i can tell the music they do is extremely tongue-in-cheek. but then again japanese people are weird.
07.04.2010 - 12:05
Charly546

Written by DayFly on 06.04.2010 at 20:18

No offense, but if it's bands similar to W.A.S.P. none of those mentioned here really fit the bill (including those in the OP)/.../

Aw, crap. I read the request as "80's metal that's epic and catchy, like WASP is". In that case OP can disregard most of my suggestions. Except for Krokus, Twisted Sister, and maaaaybe Banshee and Shok Paris.
05.08.2011 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.08.2011 at 00:05

White Wizard and Volbeat are recent bands that play 80's style Heavy Metal

there is many modern and bands from that days who play 80's HM but non can be like WASP, --- WASP is one man Blackie Lawlesss, his vox make WASP what are WASP , new album profe sit he + newer bend member who plays instruments ..... WASP like 80's
----

apos;'
[image]
22.06.2014 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What happen whit him and Blackie... why he left WASP? why original line up left?
dont seems he quit drinking, looks drunk as fuck and on the drugs

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-w-a-s-p-guitarist-chris-holmes-discusses-infamous-decline-pool-scene-becoming-sober-and-blackie-lawless-video/
----

apos;'
[image]
27.06.2014 - 04:21
DyingWorld

Written by Bad English on 22.06.2014 at 21:38

What happen whit him and Blackie... why he left WASP? why original line up left?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-w-a-s-p-guitarist-chris-holmes-discusses-infamous-decline-pool-scene-becoming-sober-and-blackie-lawless-video/

Blackie ripped Chris off when it came to the financial side of WASP. Apparently, while Chris was still working for money, Blackie was buying collectible cars. He also wouldn't let him play with Lita Ford on some award show, simply out of jealousy. From what I've heard about Blackie, he sounds almost sociopathic because he has no problem fucking other people over. This makes a lot of sense because he certainly has the charisma of a sociopath, no pun intended.

I watched that whole interview, for whatever reason. He looks and sounds like a homeless methhead. Holmes has never quite struck me as a master of the Socratic method, but his solos on "The Headless Children" are too good for words. It's amazing that he's semi-alive at this point.

As for bands that sound like WASP, I really can't think of anything. They were always so original and no one, other than Noddy Holder, really sounds like Blackie. The aforementioned Lizzy Borden and Running Wild are the closest comparisons that I can of and even that's pretty vague.
27.06.2014 - 12:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by DyingWorld on 27.06.2014 at 04:21

Written by Bad English on 22.06.2014 at 21:38

Blackie ripped Chris off when it came to the financial side of WASP. Apparently, while Chris was still working for money, Blackie was buying collectible cars. He also wouldn't let him play with Lita Ford on some award show, simply out of jealousy. From what I've heard about Blackie, he sounds almost sociopathic because he has no problem fucking other people over. This makes a lot of sense because he certainly has the charisma of a sociopath, no pun intended.

I watched that whole interview, for whatever reason. He looks and sounds like a homeless methhead. Holmes has never quite struck me as a master of the Socratic method, but his solos on "The Headless Children" are too good for words. It's amazing that he's semi-alive at this point.

As for bands that sound like WASP, I really can't think of anything. They were always so original and no one, other than Noddy Holder, really sounds like Blackie. The aforementioned Lizzy Borden and Running Wild are the closest comparisons that I can of and even that's pretty vague.

I see, well Blackie seems mean to me is modafaka, his personality and attitude to fans I hate it, same time I like WASP music Blackie somg writing, music writing , lyrics and so on, same time wasiting music money on fancy cars,women, drugs, is stupid , i would make it till nowadays
That guy I think his music is to weak,,,guitas ok, lyrics sucks and he seems to me drug and booze ovedozer, look at his body and way he talks ... like junkie, he seems can die soon

as far about tread wanted post this in real WASP tread and make a mistace
----

apos;'
[image]
29.06.2014 - 05:38
Jtbmetal123

Listen to a band called Raven
01.07.2014 - 07:05
Ganondox

Okay, listened to some W.A.S.P., and I don't think I can be answered without just giving a copycat band. W.A.S.P. has unique of a sound for this question to exist, but it's not unique enough for there to be much point in having other W.A.S.P. bands other than W.A.S.P. unless you just want a general traditional heavy metal sound. Closest I can think of would be Twisted Sister.
01.07.2014 - 20:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ganondox on 01.07.2014 at 07:05

Okay, listened to some W.A.S.P., and I don't think I can be answered without just giving a copycat band. W.A.S.P. has unique of a sound for this question to exist, but it's not unique enough for there to be much point in having other W.A.S.P. bands other than W.A.S.P. unless you just want a general traditional heavy metal sound. Closest I can think of would be Twisted Sister.

I agree there are nos ecodn WASP unless Blackie wont go solo
----

apos;'
[image]
03.11.2014 - 14:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
16.11.2014 - 21:27
Hellish Star

Where Angels Suffer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZnm9J6IYaA
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm