Metal Storm logo
Different Seasons, Different Metal

06.04.2010 - 20:42
caimanjosh
So here in the Northeast part of the US, spring has arrived with a vengeance this week. Aside from leaving my heavy jacket at home, I've noticed another change to go with the warm temps...suddenly some of my metal collection doesn't really feel right, given the weather. When it's shirtsleeve warm outside, with the sun shining and the girls walking around in skirts, suddenly I feel like it'd be...inappropriate, somehow...to throw on black metal or death metal. Even pagan metal feels a little...savage? No, this kinda weather seems to demand something fairly light-hearted to go with it. Female-fronted symphonic [power] metal seems to fit the bill about perfectly. So I find my Nightwish, Wildpath, Epica, that kinda stuff getting lots of play.

When I thought about it, it sort of seems to me that each season could have its own metal genres that would be most appropriate to each, from an atmosphereic standpoint. So here's what I came up with:

Spring - female-fronted symphonic metal
Summer - traditional heavy metal (not sure why, maybe just the whole motorcyles + beer aura. Think Priest here.)
Fall - pagan metal, maybe? Moonsorrow FTW! (though Moonsorrow's awesome year-round, to be sure)
Winter - Black metal (and death metal too, sure)

So do other people find certain metals go better with certain weathers/times of year? Or does it not affect you? I'd be curious to hear.
06.04.2010 - 20:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For me
summer: death, thrash, heavy(because its sunny you simply wanna be lazy and do nothing_
autumn , winter and spring: doom, gothic, dark etc( its for emotions, )
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.04.2010 - 21:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
All year long: doom, thrash, black, old school death metal, old school heavy metal, etc etc.

I don't listen to specific genres in specific seasons
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.04.2010 - 21:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Mood, not weather, dictate my music choices.

they sometimes coincide on those lazy and gray Sunday afternoons, but generally weather has no impact.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2010 - 22:19
caimanjosh
I'd agree - mood is the determining factor. I think it's just that my mood can't help but be affected somewhat by the weather. There's a big difference between dark, freezing rain in January, and a sunny May day, which I suppose almost invariably affects my mood somewhat. Mood is certainly key though.
07.04.2010 - 02:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I like to listen to a lot of stoner metal and hard rock in the summer...I hate the winter so I listen to a lot of black/death metal in the winter...
07.04.2010 - 02:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont think season is the key factor for my music taste
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.04.2010 - 21:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Black/death/doom are healthy choices all year round!

It would have to be one hell of a sunny day for me to pop* in a power metal album though...

*see what I did there?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2010 - 02:27
Archetype
As long as there's a good variety of music, all will be well regardless of the weather. As many have said before, I also think that mood determines it more than the weather but that's not to say that the weather doesn't affect my mood somewhat.
08.04.2010 - 19:37
Roro
I love to hear doom metal while walking under the rain and wet streets..
08.04.2010 - 21:00
bard
Over different seasons I just enjoy different genres more, not necessarily listen to one more often than another. Sometimes in the right environment the music really comes to life in a new way. For instance,
Winter - listening to Emperor in the midst of the first snowstorm of the year is perfect for me.
Spring - something like Insomnium during spring rain, just before the trees start budding.
Summer - some old school ballsy death metal in the heat of late summer. Driving with Bolt Thrower is the best for me.
Autumn - always either time for some folk influenced music or a something with an apocalyptic feeling to it. Agalloch, perhaps.
----
09.04.2010 - 02:30
Silent_wolfer
Like most or some people here mood and weather affects me on which type of metal fits the day or moment, even during the raining seasons here.
06.05.2010 - 04:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Hm, female fronted band in Spring and Summer. I bet the "attraction" is relative to hormonal changes as with the rest of humanity who become more "frisky" during these seasons. The same can be said for mood and seasons, it all seems relative.

I'm going to have to side with Troy Gallant on this one. My taste in music is bleak, dark and black all year round. At best, I may listen to some Zeppelin in the summer while driving because, it's a bit nostalgic for me. But, I'd much rather drown out every one else's shitty, poppy, mainstream music with some black metal.